Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by sanderson Today at 3:27 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by GardenGal Today at 12:15 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by yolos Today at 12:13 am

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by sfg4uKim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 6:24 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:52 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 4:02 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 3:27 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:04 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 12/5/2016, 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:50 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

MM Settling

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MM Settling

Post  greatgranny on 4/21/2013, 7:59 pm

Last year I had added quite a few new boxes. They looked normal the entire season. Now that there has been a very snowy winter, the MM has settled quite a bit. Haven't been able to fluff it up yet due to more snow this past week. The mix is very wet and some is still frozen. When it is not - I will fluff it up. I have a sneaking suspicion that I am not going to get it up to the 6 inches. Yes, I know I need to add compost but am wondering if I added only compost to the beds would that throw off the balance. Should I mix more MM first and add it to the boxes that have settled too much?

greatgranny

Female Posts : 634

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MM Settling

Post  RoOsTeR on 4/21/2013, 8:07 pm

No, just compost Very Happy.

I am my gardens worst enemy.

RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 3879

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 4/21/2013, 8:08 pm

Typically my MM settles by an inch or two each season. I simply add enough homemade compost to get it to the level of the tops of the boxes, mix it up, then I plant.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 4/21/2013, 8:13 pm

@greatgranny wrote: Should I mix more MM first and add it to the boxes that have settled too much?
The typical answer for your question is to just add compost. But, after the first year, when my MM had settled, I fluffed it up and then topped off with MM. Now I just add compost to each square before I put in the new planting.

I figure if MM is so great, why not top of after the first year after settling has occured (if you have the money and time to make more MM).

yolos

Female Posts : 2859

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 4/21/2013, 8:24 pm

Yolos, you add only compost because that's where all the nutrients come from. Vermiculite and peat basically remain the same and if you add Mel's Mix, you will be throwing the balance off. Very Happy

RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 4/21/2013, 8:48 pm

I understand your principle Rooster. But I think you are assuming that the settling is all due to compost further decomposing or being used up as nutrients. But I believe that part of the settling is due to just that, settling. I filled my new bed up to the top on Thursday, this evening it had already settled 1 inch.

According to Mel, we are to add a trowel of compost in each square after harvesting (or before planting our next crop). So, if you add a trowel of compost to each square and fluff up your MM and if it is still lower than what you want to grow in, then adding MM seems like it would not throw off the mix.

yolos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny on 4/21/2013, 9:08 pm

Okay, what would be the amount of settling that would warrant adding more MM?

Like I said previous, I have not been able to do anything due to weather. When I can get to it, what ratio of settling, after I fluff it up, should I use as a deciding factor for adding more MM or just adding compost?

greatgranny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 4/21/2013, 9:10 pm

I think you should follow Rooster's and camprn's suggestion as they are much more knowledgeable and experienced with SFG than I am.

Last edited by yolos on 4/21/2013, 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

yolos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 4/21/2013, 9:12 pm

@yolos wrote:I understand your principle Rooster. But I think you are assuming that the settling is all due to compost further decomposing or being used up as nutrients. But I believe that part of the settling is due to just that, settling. I filled my new bed up to the top on Thursday, this evening it had already settled 1 inch.

According to Mel, we are to add a trowel of compost in each square after harvesting (or before planting our next crop). So, if you add a trowel of compost to each square and fluff up your MM and if it is still lower than what you want to grow in, then adding MM seems like it would not throw off the mix.

If the level of the growing medium is not up to fluff, or where you want it, adding more compost is the way to go. Mel's stated purpose for his current MM formula is to get a 'Perfect soil mix'. But it doesn't stay that way. As previously stated in this thread and also in the ANSFG book, The repeated refrain is don't skimp on the compost. Mel goes on to say on page 92, 'Compost is absolutely the best material in which to grow your plants.'

For optimal results with your next crop, after harvest there should be added to the square at least a trowel full (or more) of compost, not a trowel of Mel's mix. At least that's Mel's theory.

Horticultural science backs up this theory. There are no nutrients in sphagnum peat nor vermiculite, nor perlite. They are a vehicle within the mix for holding and transferring the nutrients, air and water to the plant roots.

That's my two cents.

Last edited by camprn on 4/21/2013, 9:22 pm; edited 2 times in total

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny on 4/21/2013, 9:17 pm

@camprn wrote:
@yolos wrote:I understand your principle Rooster. But I think you are assuming that the settling is all due to compost further decomposing or being used up as nutrients. But I believe that part of the settling is due to just that, settling. I filled my new bed up to the top on Thursday, this evening it had already settled 1 inch.

If the level of the growing medium is not up to fluff, or where you want it, adding more compost is the way to go. Mel's stated purpose for his current MM formula is to get a 'Perfect soil mix'. But it doesn't stay that way. As previously stated in this thread and also in the ANSFG book, The repeated refrain is don't skimp on the compost. Mel goes on to say on page 92, 'Compost is absolutely the best material in which to grow your plants.'

For optimal results with your next crop, after harvest there should be added to the square at least a trowel full (or more) of compost, not a trowel of Mel's mix. At least that's Mel's theory.

Thanks to all of you. I think I will use compost to refill and yes, mix it well. Much easier than more MM, for sure.

greatgranny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 4/21/2013, 9:19 pm

Actually, it's not my principle yolos, but Mel's/part of the method.
The details in your last paragraph should suffice, provided you made your beds the proper depth (6") to begin with.

RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 4/21/2013, 9:29 pm

@yolos wrote:I think you should follow Rooster's and camprn's suggestion as they are much more knowledgeable and experienced with SFG than I am.

yolos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:34 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum