Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 12:49 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 11:49 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 11:48 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by CapeCoddess Today at 11:37 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by landarch Today at 9:29 am

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by sfg4uKim Today at 9:26 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by llama momma Today at 5:10 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by yolos Today at 12:13 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:52 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 3:27 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:04 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 12/5/2016, 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

» New Member
by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Solar Mole Chaser - Too good to be true?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Solar Mole Chaser - Too good to be true?

Post  Windmere on 4/29/2013, 10:14 pm

Hi all. I got an e-mail from Harbor Freight regarding their latest sales. I can get this "Solar Mole Chaser" for 7.99 with a coupon.

http://www.harborfreight.com/solar-mole-chaser-94661.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNTUxODA5OTQiLCJza3UiOiI5NDY2MSIsImlzIjoiNy45OSIsInByb2R1Y3RfaWQi%0D%0AOiIyOTU0In0%3D%0D%0A&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1813a&utm_source=1002

Do these things really work, or is it all hype? The customer reviews for this thing are excellent. It's supposed to work on moles and rodents, but some reviewers say it discourages deer and cats. Now... if it even had the tiniest effect on squirrels, I'd pay quite a bit more than 7.99 for it!!

Windmere

Male Posts : 1425
Join date : 2013-02-26
Age : 47
Location : Fayetteville, GA - Zone 7B - 8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Solar Mole Chaser - Too good to be true?

Post  camprn on 4/29/2013, 10:21 pm

http://www.amazon.com/HLA-Solar-Powered-Mole-Repeller/product-reviews/B0028ZMIVO

____________________________

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!


camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Solar Mole Chaser - Too good to be true?

Post  Lindacol on 4/29/2013, 10:23 pm

Looks like the ones I got for gophers which were a waste of $$$. The gophers came up right under them. Wire bottoms on the beds or tabletops or gopher cages for plants not in the SFG were my solutions. And the Squirrelinator for the squirrels.

The best gopher traps I have found are the Gophinator. I also have some of their mole traps which work for smaller gophers.
http://www.traplineproducts.com/


Last edited by Lindacol on 4/29/2013, 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add content)

Lindacol

Posts : 777
Join date : 2011-01-23
Location : Bloomington, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hmm...

Post  Windmere on 4/29/2013, 10:30 pm

Thanks for the link to Amazon camprn. More customer reviews that seem to be pretty positive. Food for thought.

Windmere

Male Posts : 1425
Join date : 2013-02-26
Age : 47
Location : Fayetteville, GA - Zone 7B - 8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Squirrelinator

Post  Windmere on 4/29/2013, 10:31 pm

@Lindacol wrote:Looks like the ones I got for gophers which were a waste of $$$. The gophers came up right under them. Wire bottoms on the beds or tabletops or gopher cages for plants not in the SFG were my solutions. And the Squirrelinator for the squirrels

Now you have me VERY intrigued. What exactly is a Squirrelinator, and where can I get one???

Windmere

Male Posts : 1425
Join date : 2013-02-26
Age : 47
Location : Fayetteville, GA - Zone 7B - 8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Solar Mole Chaser - Too good to be true?

Post  Lindacol on 4/29/2013, 10:38 pm

@Windmere wrote:
@Lindacol wrote:Looks like the ones I got for gophers which were a waste of $$$. The gophers came up right under them. Wire bottoms on the beds or tabletops or gopher cages for plants not in the SFG were my solutions. And the Squirrelinator for the squirrels

Now you have me VERY intrigued. What exactly is a Squirrelinator, and where can I get one???

http://squirrelinator.com/ Amazon also has them. Several of us on the forum have used them with good results.

Lindacol

Posts : 777
Join date : 2011-01-23
Location : Bloomington, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Solar Mole Chaser - Too good to be true?

Post  drixnot on 4/30/2013, 8:34 am

Rodents don't care about annoying sounds ... neither do insects. No gadets like this really works.

from an environmental website -

Ultrasound pest control devices emit high frequency sounds intended to repel household pests like rodents, cockroaches, ants, spiders and fleas. Results of studies on the effectiveness of these devices in discouraging common household pests are mixed, at best. Our suggestion is to take an integrated pest management (IPM) approach. Most pests (both insects and rodents) find their way in searching for food, water, and shelter. Knowing this is the key to making your home pest-free. In general, the drill goes like this:

Step one - exclude them: figure how they're getting in and close it up. Fix gaps in door frames and tears in screens, caulk where needed.
Step two - starve them: store all food in tightly covered containers and clean up food spills and crumbs immediately. Fix leaky pipes and wipe up spills.
Step three - expose their hiding places: get rid of clutter where they hide and nest, especially things like piles of damp newspapers in basements and garages.


drixnot

Posts : 41
Join date : 2013-04-17
Location : northern ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thanks

Post  Windmere on 4/30/2013, 10:12 am

Thanks Lindacol for the information about he Squirrelinator. Fascinating. I may order one. I read reviews... they are very positive.

Windmere

Male Posts : 1425
Join date : 2013-02-26
Age : 47
Location : Fayetteville, GA - Zone 7B - 8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thanks

Post  Windmere on 4/30/2013, 10:15 am

@drixnot wrote:Rodents don't care about annoying sounds ... neither do insects. No gadets like this really works.

from an environmental website -

Ultrasound pest control devices emit high frequency sounds intended to repel household pests like rodents, cockroaches, ants, spiders and fleas. Results of studies on the effectiveness of these devices in discouraging common household pests are mixed, at best. Our suggestion is to take an integrated pest management (IPM) approach. Most pests (both insects and rodents) find their way in searching for food, water, and shelter. Knowing this is the key to making your home pest-free. In general, the drill goes like this:

Step one - exclude them: figure how they're getting in and close it up. Fix gaps in door frames and tears in screens, caulk where needed.
Step two - starve them: store all food in tightly covered containers and clean up food spills and crumbs immediately. Fix leaky pipes and wipe up spills.
Step three - expose their hiding places: get rid of clutter where they hide and nest, especially things like piles of damp newspapers in basements and garages.


Thanks drixnot. I appreciate the reference from an environmental website. This gives me food for thought. My wife made similar comments to me that she doubted the effectiveness.

Windmere

Male Posts : 1425
Join date : 2013-02-26
Age : 47
Location : Fayetteville, GA - Zone 7B - 8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Solar Mole Chaser - Too good to be true?

Post  Lemonie on 4/30/2013, 12:00 pm

Thanks for posting this. My mom is wanting to switch to SFG but has been hesitant because at least with her huge garden, she can produce enough plants to let some go to the critters and bugs and still have some for herself. She has been thinking about getting one of the ultrasonic devices to help, but sounds like she really just needs to build a Fort Knox SFG. Anyone know if the coyote, owl and snake decoys work for most of these pests? She has a pretty open and unprotected garden area that is way out in the country and doesn't have a ton of time or resources for critter control.

Lemonie

Female Posts : 192
Join date : 2010-10-24
Age : 33
Location : Georgetown, KY Zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Solar Mole Chaser - Too good to be true?

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:21 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum