Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by Yardslave Today at 5:01 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Today at 1:32 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 12:55 pm

» Ayrshire Newbie
by robert1938 Today at 9:17 am

» Hello from West Coast Of Scotland
by robert1938 Today at 9:02 am

» Gardening & Homesteading Skills Summit REGISTER NOW!
by countrynaturals Today at 8:53 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver Today at 6:53 am

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by LizDTM Yesterday at 9:33 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by brianj555 Yesterday at 5:47 pm

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 5:40 pm

» Garlic Growing Lovers
by Turan Yesterday at 2:14 pm

» Lower south Oct 2017
by brianj555 Yesterday at 2:02 pm

» Sowing Experiment! Anyone Tried This?
by brianj555 Yesterday at 1:50 pm

» Thumbs Up????
by brianj555 Yesterday at 1:47 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY - ENDS 10/20/17
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 12:48 pm

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:37 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:34 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by Turan Yesterday at 9:01 am

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by sanderson Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:17 pm

» Today's Harvest
by brianj555 Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:21 pm

» new greenhouse got drafted
by Scorpio Rising Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:08 pm

» Monarch Supporter
by Scorpio Rising Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:55 pm

» New England October 2017
by countrynaturals Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:09 am

» October Avatar: Don't Fence Me In
by trolleydriver Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:45 am

» Does MM improve with age?
by countrynaturals Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:51 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:28 pm

» Leaf-Footed squash bugs
by sanderson Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:21 pm

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by Scorpio Rising Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:12 pm

» Tomato Questions
by Scorpio Rising Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:06 pm

» large plant ID stakes
by has55 Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:02 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Power Water

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Power Water

Post  gardenertaylor on Thu May 02, 2013 5:36 pm

Hey! I read in the Answer Book for Square Foot Gardening about Power Water. This is water that you allow to sit a few days with egg shells, dried banana peels, and some coffee grounds. It sounds like a vitamin water for plants. After sitting a few days, water your plants with it.

Has anyone tried this? What's been your experience? Notice any benefits?

avatar
gardenertaylor

Female Posts : 72
Join date : 2012-10-21
Age : 43
Location : Boise, ID

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Power Water

Post  Triciasgarden on Thu May 02, 2013 6:03 pm

I haven't heard of it and so I haven't used it. I heard about letting egg shells sit in water and watering with that water. I did try it once but I don't remember if there was any difference. Last year I used cooled and watered down coffee to water my house plants and a planter that hangs on my front railing. They all loved it and there was a noticeable improvement in the growth. The flowers in the planter did the best they ever did, even though I used fertilizer other years. I may try this and report back.
avatar
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1632
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 62
Location : Northern Utah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Power Water

Post  gardenertaylor on Thu May 02, 2013 8:20 pm

Page 84 in the Answer Book. Add to the sun-warmed water eggshells for calcium, chopped-up banana peels for potassium and phosphorous and a small amount of coffee grounds for nitrogen. After a few days, remove the items and throw them in the compost. I think I'm going to give it a try. Cool
avatar
gardenertaylor

Female Posts : 72
Join date : 2012-10-21
Age : 43
Location : Boise, ID

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Power Water

Post  CapeCoddess on Fri May 03, 2013 8:54 am

gardenertaylor wrote:Hey! I read in the Answer Book for Square Foot Gardening about Power Water. This is water that you allow to sit a few days with egg shells, dried banana peels, and some coffee grounds. It sounds like a vitamin water for plants. After sitting a few days, water your plants with it.

That's very interesting. I need to see if my library system has that book yet.

I make my compost tea like that using a scoop of compost in a 5 gal bucket of water, except it sits for only 24 hours. It has all those things in it and then some.

CC
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6454
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Power Water

Post  gardenertaylor on Fri May 03, 2013 11:55 am

oooohhhhh, that's what compost tea is? I didn't know that. Yes, it sounds like it's basically making a compost tea, more or less. Interesting. Learn something new everyday! Laughing
avatar
gardenertaylor

Female Posts : 72
Join date : 2012-10-21
Age : 43
Location : Boise, ID

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Power Water

Post  CapeCoddess on Fri May 03, 2013 12:05 pm

That's just one way to make compost tea. Some folks boil it and some leave it sit for days. I don't know what the does to it so I don't do it.

CC
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6454
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Power Water

Post  camprn on Fri May 03, 2013 12:26 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:That's just one way to make compost tea. Some folks boil it
Shocked Shocked Clearly some folk have too much time on their hands.... bounce

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Power Water

Post  B00kemdano on Fri May 03, 2013 12:53 pm

I have mostly tabletop sfgs, and they have fabric / wire mesh bottoms. When it rains significantly, the water starts dripping out of the bottom of the TTs. I catch some of it in a bucket, and it looks like tea, so I wonder if that qualifies? Very Happy

That tea usually goes back into the rain barrel after a couple days when I start running low.
avatar
B00kemdano

Male Posts : 131
Join date : 2012-02-12
Age : 44
Location : Huntsville, AL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Power Water

Post  CapeCoddess on Fri May 03, 2013 1:50 pm

B00kemdano wrote:I have mostly tabletop sfgs, and they have fabric / wire mesh bottoms. When it rains significantly, the water starts dripping out of the bottom of the TTs. I catch some of it in a bucket, and it looks like tea, so I wonder if that qualifies? Very Happy

Could be potent stuff. Since it goes into the rain barrel it ends up on the plants anyway. Someone on here has TT's with what they called 'diapers'...a piece of plastic attached under the bed that is angled to drip into a bucket. Can't remember who it is, sorry, but they were new and had photos of it. Way cool!

CC

avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6454
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Power Water

Post  RoOsTeR on Fri May 03, 2013 2:27 pm

I stuff compost in an old sock. Throw it in a 5 gallon bucket of water. Call it compost tea and a day Cool

____________________________


I am my gardens worst enemy.
avatar
RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 4318
Join date : 2011-10-04
Location : Colorado Front Range

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Power Water

Post  plantoid on Fri May 03, 2013 4:30 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:
gardenertaylor wrote:Hey! I read in the Answer Book for Square Foot Gardening about Power Water. This is water that you allow to sit a few days with egg shells, dried banana peels, and some coffee grounds. It sounds like a vitamin water for plants. After sitting a few days, water your plants with it.

That's very interesting. I need to see if my library system has that book yet.

I make my compost tea like that using a scoop of compost in a 5 gal bucket of water, except it sits for only 24 hours. It has all those things in it and then some.

CC
Put a couple of spoons of sugar in the bucket and stir it till it disolves . The sugar will also feed the yeasts in the compost so the nutrient release is higher as well as being bacterially live , your plants wil show their gratitude .
avatar
plantoid

Male Posts : 3734
Join date : 2011-11-09
Age : 66

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Power Water

Post  HOUSTONMOM on Fri May 03, 2013 5:04 pm

plantoid wrote:
CapeCoddess wrote:
gardenertaylor wrote:Hey! I read in the Answer Book for Square Foot Gardening about Power Water. This is water that you allow to sit a few days with egg shells, dried banana peels, and some coffee grounds. It sounds like a vitamin water for plants. After sitting a few days, water your plants with it.

That's very interesting. I need to see if my library system has that book yet.

I make my compost tea like that using a scoop of compost in a 5 gal bucket of water, except it sits for only 24 hours. It has all those things in it and then some.

CC
Put a couple of spoons of sugar in the bucket and stir it till it disolves . The sugar will also feed the yeasts in the compost so the nutrient release is higher as well as being bacterially live , your plants wil show their gratitude .
Hi,I read and watched videos of people using molasses to feed the microbes is that the same as using plain old sugar?That would diffenitly be easier cause sugar is always on hand.
avatar
HOUSTONMOM

Posts : 40
Join date : 2012-12-28
Location : HOUSTON

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Power Water

Post  plantoid on Fri May 03, 2013 5:27 pm

Not quite as good as soft brown sugar or molassas but as you say readily available and of course cheaper.
avatar
plantoid

Male Posts : 3734
Join date : 2011-11-09
Age : 66

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Power Water

Post  HOUSTONMOM on Fri May 03, 2013 5:45 pm

plantoid wrote:Not quite as good as soft brown sugar or molassas but as you say readily available and of course cheaper.
Never heard of using brown sugar but it makes a lot of sense and it's also pretty much on hand .Thanks!
avatar
HOUSTONMOM

Posts : 40
Join date : 2012-12-28
Location : HOUSTON

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Power Water

Post  gardenertaylor on Fri May 03, 2013 9:01 pm

The sugar is a great tip! Thanks y'all! I love you
avatar
gardenertaylor

Female Posts : 72
Join date : 2012-10-21
Age : 43
Location : Boise, ID

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Power Water

Post  walshevak on Sat May 04, 2013 7:02 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:I stuff compost in an old sock. Throw it in a 5 gallon bucket of water. Call it compost tea and a day Cool

+1 either 5 blend or worm castings.

Kay

____________________________

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
avatar
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4360
Join date : 2010-10-17
Age : 74
Location : wilmington, nc zone 8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Power Water

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum