Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:39 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:35 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 3:30 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by sanderson Today at 2:57 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Today at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Today at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Today at 2:50 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 2:34 am

by sanderson Today at 2:30 am

» Live and learn
by sanderson Today at 1:34 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 1:28 am

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:37 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:03 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by Kelejan Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:52 pm

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver 12/1/2016, 5:23 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 1:22 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 12:05 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by trolleydriver 11/30/2016, 11:18 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Gasoline motor troubles, a bit outside SFG

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gasoline motor troubles, a bit outside SFG

Post  Judy McConnell on 5/3/2013, 8:55 am

Every piece of gasoline equipment (from chipper to mowers) I own has been in the shop($$$) for replacement of carbs, due to using ethanol-containing gasoline.

I know that I can use "regular gas" in these units (during the seasons of use) but how should I store the units between use to keep the carbs from going. Also fall storage for the winter seems to be an issue, how do I prepare them - run all the gas out and then what?

Thanks for your knowledge.

Judy McConnell

Female Posts : 352

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gasoline motor troubles, a bit outside SFG

Post  camprn on 5/3/2013, 9:28 am

http://www.repairclinic.com/Small-Engine-Maintenance-Tips

http://www.bellperformance.com/blog/bid/71946/Winter-Small-Engine-Care-Advice

Found this but don't have time to watch it.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  H_TX_2 on 5/3/2013, 11:09 am

I know exactly how you feel. I don't mind spending the 30 to 45 minutes to do the yard. What really makes me want to strangle someone is the 30 to 45 minutes it takes to get the equipment started, and to keep it running. I have a reel mower but my lawn is not the best grass and we have some weeds so it doesn't do such a great job. I looked for an electric mower but I couldn't find any stores around me that carried any good quality ones. Sears had some cheap low volt electric mowers so I ended up getting a gas powered mower.

Hopefully someday I will get the yard in good shape and I can use the reel mower. Until then I will use the gas powered mower and the people at Sears where I bought it said you have to use fuel stabilizer or the fuel will gunk up your engine. Have you tried the fuel stabilizer?

H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy McConnell on 5/3/2013, 11:18 am

Yes, I used stablizer, but it didn't help - the motors still "Gunked up" over winter storage.

I love the electric units that I can use in Manassas, VA because yard is smaller. Have a couple at the "farm" but the cords can only be stretched so far - LOL

Also purchased batter-powered small units, like alligator chain saw for farm use. Like these too - NO gasoline to pollute - again tho, some areas need the gas powered DR mower.

Judy McConnell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/3/2013, 11:37 am

@H_TX_2 wrote:I looked for an electric mower but I couldn't find any stores around me that carried any good quality ones.

I bot a battery operated Neuton mower online over 5 yrs ago and am extremely happy with it. The first year it had to go into the shop and they found out all it needed was a new fuse. I had no idea. Embarassed They showed me where it was so I could change it myself, then sharpened the blade and didn't even charge me.

Now I use battery operated everything. If you get B&D the batteries are interchangeable.

My only regret is that I bot an corded electric leaf blower/vac/mulcher and they came out with the battery operated ones a year later.

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 5/4/2013, 9:43 pm

Ethanol in gasoline has been a real boon for the boat repair business. Gas left over the winter in boats means a $330+ degunking tune up in the spring. Ask me how I know.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  toledobend on 5/5/2013, 1:20 am

Haven't used it yet, but for your 2 cycle engines that don't use a lot of gas, you may want to try Trufuel, supposedly an almost pure, very stable gasoline with oil already mixed in. Although it costs about $6 to $7 for a small can, if it prevents a visit to the repair shop, it probably pays for itself. It's available at Walmart and a lot of other places. The guy that works on our chainsaws says that the ethanol fuel really harms 2 cycle engines, though he hasn't seen as much damage to 4 cycle engines using ethanol fuels.

toledobend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Non Oxygenated

Post  mn4legger on 5/5/2013, 4:07 am

Chatting with my neighbor about same situation, he recommended Non Oxygenated gas. He said it's the only gas he puts in his toys, mower, 4x wheeler, snow blower, chainsaw, etc. For lunch breaks from wrenching on his garage full of cars, he repairs snowblowers. He is a good source for mechanical ????'s Gas has changed over the years and small motors don't like the change.

Non Oxygenated gas likes to keep a healthy relationship with small engines or any engine for that matter. It doesn't gum up or lose it's potency. I heeded his advice and ran (NO) through my snow blower last winter. Sitting for 7-8 months until the first snow this year the engine started right up. Did it help using a tiny bit of Sea Foam with each fill up? This was another neighborly tip. Gas going bad is responsible for a lot of cursing come spring and fall.

This advice has kept me out of the repair shop, recently. Search Non Oxygenated Gas and hopefully there's a gas station near you.
Peace
Othy

mn4legger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 5/5/2013, 4:01 pm

@Judy McConnell wrote:Every piece of gasoline equipment (from chipper to mowers) I own has been in the shop($$$) for replacement of carbs, due to using ethanol-containing gasoline.

I know that I can use "regular gas" in these units (during the seasons of use) but how should I store the units between use to keep the carbs from going. Also fall storage for the winter seems to be an issue, how do I prepare them - run all the gas out and then what?

Thanks for your knowledge.

Judy ,
Run the machines out of fuel before storing for more than two months , the carbs will still be warm when emptied and any vapours of fuel will evaporate .

I used to help run & repair a fleet of small construction plant and garden machinery .

Don't go buying 5 gallons of fuel at a time just buy it in one gallon containers when you fill the car up , again if not going to be used in a couple of months pop it into the car , unless it is two stroke fuel then only make up a pint or so at a time to the correct oil to fuel ratio..
For small quantities of two stroke fuel mixes consider buying a couple of accurate measuring jugs that show measurement in cubic centimeters on a large readable scale .
Then the 20 :1 or 50 :1 etc ratios of fuel to oil becomes a doddle to make in small amounts .

Modern fuels oxidise & evaporate some of their components of the higher volatile spirits quite quickly , this also causes problems if left in the machines for along time .

For winter storage.
After running them out of fuel , gently pull the cord or turn the engine by hand after taking off the spark plug lead till you " feel the resistance of compression " . This means all valves are closed , all ports will be covered and not affected by the formation of rust or condensation over winter.

plantoid

Male Posts : 3635

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy McConnell on 9/6/2013, 9:51 am

It's about that time to be thinking of storing the gasoline-powered equipment for the winter and I had forgotten to thank you all for your recommendations so:

Thank YOU!!!

It is fortunate that there is a gas station in Riner that carries no-O2 gas for the farmers, so I can get 5 gal at a time.

Judy McConnell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:37 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum