Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 4:41 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by PVPind Today at 12:13 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Today at 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Today at 7:05 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:36 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:43 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 9:41 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan Yesterday at 5:19 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:51 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:48 am

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess 12/6/2016, 3:27 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Madcapper's 2013 Square Foot Garden (With Pics)

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Madcapper's 2013 Square Foot Garden (With Pics)

Post  mschaef on 6/10/2013, 11:26 pm

I'm going to give the garlic pepper spray a try around my community garden plot because the bunnies that live near the community garden keep eating my green bean sprouts. Evil or Very Mad Naughty bunnies!!!

mschaef

Female Posts : 575

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Madcapper on 6/11/2013, 9:59 am

Here is a pic of the cut off cucumber plant, lost just under half the plant from this one cut Sad

Madcapper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

New Pics

Post  Madcapper on 6/17/2013, 11:29 am

Alright well week 6 has ended now. As you can see in the pics everything is growing great. I have some browning on the leaves of various plants, not sure if that something to be worried about or not though, please let me know if you think it is a sign of something terrible!

The wide shot this week shows that my tomato plant is only about a foot from the top of the trellis! Hopefully it will go over the top and back down the far side with no issues.

I harvested my radishes, the far left square in row number 2. I replanted that same night, they have been in the ground just shy of a week and they are starting to come up now. I adjusted my spacing in that square for them so hopefully I get a full harvest of nice round radishes. I am thinking about trying a french breakfast radish in the next planting...we will see.

My cucumber plant that broke off has developed a new growing tip right at the site of the break. Glad mother nature knows how to recover in instances like this Smile

Just a couple of pics of female flowers, one is a cucumber and the other is a watermelon, you can see the fruit just below the bud, this will grow when pollinated, male flowers lack the mini fruits.

]

Finally, my tomato plant is doing great. Even have a few starting to turn red. I warned my wife about harvesting them before they were fully ripe because animals might eat them, but she is skeptical. I guess she wants to learn the lesson the hard way...no skin off my back, I dont eat the things!

Madcapper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kristinz on 6/17/2013, 12:03 pm

Hi Madcapper,
Love the worm tube. I read the same thread you did (at least most of it) and we are setting ours up this coming weekend. Just a quick question, what kind of paint did you use? My husband doesn't want to leave it white because he thinks it's an eyesore, so I was going to paint it green and try to 'decorate' it to make it look like something else. Also, what diameter is your tube? We could only find 4 inch. I don't think the worms care that much... thinking
Everything in the garden looks great! Looking forward to seeing more updates!

kristinz

Female Posts : 61

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Madcapper on 6/17/2013, 12:10 pm

I think my PVC is 3 inch, 4 should work fine too. I just used regular old spray paint to paint mine, the only issue I ran in to was the buildup of paint made the caps difficult to get on and off, but I just sanded a bit around the top to prevent that issue. I dont push the caps on all the way, just gingerly set them on top and it seems to be working pretty good so far.

Madcapper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Madcapper on 6/25/2013, 9:28 am

End of week 7 was Saturday 6/22, that was the day I took these pics, around 530pm. This is important information for later..Anyway all is going good, my Cucumber and Pumpkin have officially topped my trellis! I got a couple good cucumbers maturing on the vine now (sorry no pics of that, but I will get some next time). Lots of flowers on the Pumpkin are in place, just not opened yet, looks like the couple watermelon flowers didn't get pollinated despite my attempt at hand pollinating with a q-tip. On with the pics!

We had a visitor in the garden! Unfortunately I think it was dying because after this pic I kinda tossed it up to have it fly away but it just pulled a kamikaze dive bomb into the ground...

Here is a wide shot angle, compare side by side, first pic was Saturday around 530, second pic was about noon on Sunday. Pretty amazing the amount of growth on those plants in such a short period of time.

Close in shot, I didnt get great germination on my radishes on about 2/3rds of the seeds came up this time...top left corner below the tomato...but the ones that did come in are coming in like weeds of course. Thats how radishes roll. Also the brocolli raab is growing big...I tasted a piece of my Romaine lettuce yesterday and it tasted pretty darn bitter! Wonder what causes that.

Here is the cucumber plant that broke off and developed a new growing tip, its really taking off now!

Finally here is the tomato plant, the wife has been out of town for a few days so she will have a bounty of maters when she gets home!

Madcapper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Madcapper on 7/2/2013, 12:03 pm

Sorry for the pics being blurry, it was starting to sprinkle so I was trying to hurry!

Well its the end of week 8. 2 months with the garden planted and things have been going great. For my first attempt at ever having a garden this is really working out for me. I think the square foot garden method is fantastic for beginners. On with the pics!

I had to add some additional trellis for the vines going up, on second thought probably should have made the whole trellis 8 feet tall!

That pumpkin plant has even gone up over the rail since this picture was taken. Insane rate of growth, I think I am going to have to let it sprawl on my patio table here in another couple days.

Here is the close up, my broccoli raab is huge and my lettuces are probably ready to be eaten. I told my wife I tried some romaine and thought it was bitter so she had a piece and said it tasted ok to her...hopefully its ok in some salads...

Here is the sole cucumber I have developing. I am having a pretty poor rate of pollination even with trying to hand pollinate with a q-tip.

Here is my tomato plant, I wasnt paying very close attention to the very top of it apparently (more worried about the fruit down low), it had developed some big old fat suckers up near the growing tip which I pruned off just before this pic.

Anyway hope you all enjoy the updated pictures.

Madcapper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener on 7/2/2013, 2:52 pm

your garden looks awesome! what kind of tomato plant is that? not too "leafy" which really makes your tomatoes stand out! What did you use in your compost? everything looks so nice and healthy! congrats on a beautiful garden!!

southern gardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Madcapper on 7/2/2013, 3:02 pm

Thank you for the kind words! Not sure exactly what kind of tomato plant it is, my wife brought it home from the nursery and it was already 2 feet tall, I do know its a burpee plant. As for the compost I am not exactly sure what I used. I only used 4 kinds (wife did the shopping and called it good) Black Kow was one, another was composted mushrooms I think, past that I couldnt really tell ya what I used. Sorry I couldnt more helpful! If I can remember when I get home tonight, I will try to find the tomato plant details on the little stick that was in the pot and let you know.

Madcapper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mrwes40 on 7/2/2013, 3:06 pm

@Madcapper wrote:OK well the end of week 4 has come and the latest pics are in. Things are looking great in the square foot garden! Minimal insect damage to some plants, but nothing to worry about. I havent had any issues (knock on wood) with larger predators. My garden has a wire mesh underneath it and is in the back yard, privacy fenced. My neighbor across the street is having a problem with pests, they had some squash that were going to be ready later this week, but something ate them a day or two back, no privacy fence and no wire mesh under their garden. There are small tunnels in the garden box, so thinking maybe voles? I gave her some juicy fruit gum, which I have heard clogs up a voles digestive track and will kill them. Hopefully it works for them, and hopefully my luck continues.

The improvements this week are 2 worm tubes. They are made of 3 inch pvc with 1/2 inch holes drilled all through the tube in the area that is under ground. I saved two tubs of red worms from being drowned (do you think PETA will let me join? LOL). Put scraps and stuff in the top of the tube to feed the worms. Worm poop is great fertilizer and they aerate the soil. This is an alternative to composting. My wife has put her foot down, she does not want a stinky pile of "stuff" in the back yard, no matter how much I try to tell her it doesnt stink that much.

Here are this weeks pictures.

The orange tubes -- worm tubes?

mrwes40

Male Posts : 123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Madcapper on 7/2/2013, 3:09 pm

Madcapper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mrwes40 on 7/4/2013, 6:01 am

Any information on whether or not the red wrigglers will/would survive the winter in zone 6?

mrwes40

Male Posts : 123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 7/4/2013, 6:13 am

They can survive better with insulation, you can google winter worm composting or if you go to redwormcomposting.com, believe it is listed under winter composting. In the book, Worms Eat my Garbage, there is a brief bit about winter composting too.  The concept is something I have been wanting to try but haven't gotten to yet I've got the wood ready and hardware cloth for the bottom.

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4642

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Madcapper on 7/9/2013, 10:55 am

Time for my weekly update!

The end of week 9 has come and gone. The vine plants are growing like crazy! Cucumbers, watermelon, and pumpkin.

I removed the broccoli raab, we let it sit too long and it got eaten up!

My pumpkin plant is getting out of control, as I mentioned last week I was thinking about letting it crawl on my patio table, it did that and now it looks like I might need another one Razz I think I will just let it sit on the deck.

We harvested our first cucumber the other day as well!

Still no fruit on the pumpkin or watermelon, I am keeping my eyes open for female flowers to pollinate, just gotta keep trying I guess. I am really looking forward to some actually growing.

Madcapper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 7/9/2013, 11:54 am

Your box is so beautiful.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12276

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Madcapper on 7/9/2013, 12:04 pm

@sanderson wrote:Your box is so beautiful.

Thank you so much! It has all really just worked out for us, this being our first year and all. Knock on wood, I havent had any real issues to deal with!

Madcapper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:08 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum