Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What are you eating from your garden today?
by trolleydriver Today at 5:35 pm

» Garden Clean-Up/Preparation
by Robbomb116 Today at 3:52 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in December 2017
by CapeCoddess Today at 2:01 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by CapeCoddess Today at 1:50 pm

» CarbSmart (tm) Potatoes
by sanderson Today at 1:41 pm

» Sweet Potatoes
by countrynaturals Today at 11:42 am

» California's Drought
by trolleydriver Today at 10:38 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by Kelejan Today at 7:51 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:42 pm

» Areogardening
by brianj555 Yesterday at 9:42 pm

» Spring Fever Anyone?
by Robbomb116 Yesterday at 4:03 pm

» Air Fryer! HELP!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:40 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:01 am

» New England December 2017
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 6:32 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/13/2017, 7:43 pm

» jalapeno variety question?
by brianj555 12/13/2017, 6:03 pm

» Sauerkraut & fermenting veggies
by brianj555 12/13/2017, 5:28 pm

» Tomato Questions
by sanderson 12/13/2017, 3:04 pm

» Mid-South: December 2017
by AtlantaMarie 12/13/2017, 8:24 am

» What's Up? Yukon gold potatoes!
by sanderson 12/13/2017, 3:15 am

» New Composter - Need Help Filling Correctly
by saganco 12/12/2017, 9:10 pm

» December Avatar: 'Tis The Season!
by sanderson 12/12/2017, 2:29 pm

» The Research Journey:cardboard covering of newly planted seeds
by saganco 12/12/2017, 1:15 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan 12/11/2017, 6:39 pm

» Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing
by countrynaturals 12/11/2017, 11:44 am

» Mushroom in my lettuce!
by Scorpio Rising 12/10/2017, 10:40 pm

» 5-BOOK BUNDLE GIVEAWAY - ENDS 12/1/17
by No_Such_Reality 12/10/2017, 4:15 pm

» N&C MW; Deep Winter December/January 2017-2018
by Scorpio Rising 12/10/2017, 1:36 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals 12/10/2017, 1:24 pm

» WARNING! Please Read! (Especially Grandparents)
by Scorpio Rising 12/9/2017, 8:53 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Companion planting questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Companion Planting & "Veggie Families"

Post  ETNRedClay on 5/7/2013, 8:33 pm

I'm babysitting my 15-year-old neice and when I tried to explain companion planting, she decided they were "veggie families" -- not just as in species that are already related, but as in also the in-laws who marry in.

Since, I'm finding conflicting answers online -- radishes are good with carrots, radishes are bad with carrots, do the following make sense as veggie families planted in 4'x8' beds -- in other words in your experience, will any one plant hurt the others (or ask for a messy divorce in neice-speak)?

We know about the Four Sisters -- late corn for corn meal, pole beans for drying, winter squash, and sunflowers.

And their close cousins, the Five Sisters -- sweet corn, bush beans, summer squash, sunflowers, and parsley.

The Onion family -- leeks, shallots, carrots, radishes, celery, rosemary, petunias, and sage.

The Salad family -- peas, lettuce, spinach, carrots, radishes, marigolds, & petunias.

The Toms family -- tomatoes, peppers, cukes, eggplant, chives, carrots, radishes, borage, oregano, parsley, tarragon, marigolds, & zinnia.

The Peas family -- peas, carrots, celery, radishes, & mint.

And the Melon bed -- watermelon, cantaloupe, sweet potatoes, bush beans, and cukes.

Assuming I work out the trellising, anything jump out at you -- as in, Oh, No, don't plant THAT with THOSE.
ETNRedClay

Female Posts : 210

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Companion planting questions

Post  ETNRedClay on 5/7/2013, 8:36 pm

1) If Tomatoes should not be planted with corn, how far away is "far enough" in a high-density garden like SFG?

2) If we're rotating crops through the beds, does it make any difference if you move -- for instance -- a corn bed into a tomato bed the next year?

3) Since fennel shouldn't be planted next to anything? How far away is far enough?

4) For those with a separate perennial herb bed, do you sacrifice some perennial herbs in the "general population" of veggies because -- for instance -- oregano is good underplanted peppers? But at the end of the year, when you work your beds, you'll probably lose the perennial herb when everything else is pulled out...?

ETNRedClay

Female Posts : 210

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Companion planting questions

Post  Pollinator on 5/7/2013, 9:22 pm

Ah Red Clay, you are just thinking too hard. Don't worry about what "likes" what and what "doesn't like" what. A lot of that stuff is just voodoo. You don't have to be a wizzard - just use common sense.

Some basic principles - plant together species that do well in similar conditions - sun lovers in sunny spots, shade lovers together. Don't plant tall plants where they'll block the light for smaller plants. Plant lots of nectar and pollen-rich flowers along with your veggies, to help build up your pollinator populations. And finally, there are a few plants that actually help repel pest insects - such as dwarf French marigolds with squash bugs.

I've been gardening for over sixty years, in quite a few different environments, and I've broken many of those "companion planting" so-called rules without consequences.

So relax.
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

View user profile http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 5/7/2013, 9:40 pm

@Pollinator wrote:Ah Red Clay, you are just thinking too hard. Don't worry about what "likes" what and what "doesn't like" what. A lot of that stuff is just voodoo. You don't have to be a wizzard - just use common sense.

Some basic principles - plant together species that do well in similar conditions - sun lovers in sunny spots, shade lovers together. Don't plant tall plants where they'll block the light for smaller plants. Plant lots of nectar and pollen-rich flowers along with your veggies, to help build up your pollinator populations. And finally, there are a few plants that actually help repel pest insects - such as dwarf French marigolds with squash bugs.

I've been gardening for over sixty years, in quite a few different environments, and I've broken many of those "companion planting" so-called rules without consequences.

So relax.
+1, except I have been gardening for only about 35 years. Shocked

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo on 5/7/2013, 10:41 pm

I plant an empty square, as they are harvested. I usually don't plan except for plants that require a trellis. I try to plant legumes(they get nitrogen from the air) in the different beds to be sure each bed has nitrogen. I don't plant onions near beans because the beans will have an onion flavor.

I have the book 'Carrots Love Tomatoes' by Louise Riotte. It is a good book, and it gives some reasons why you could companion plant.
Jo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1541

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo on 5/7/2013, 11:22 pm

I'd try to keep companion planting questions to 1 thread, for the admin. may combine them for you.

1 + 2. The reason not to plant corn with tomatoes- the corn earworm and the tomato fruitworm are identical. Planting them in same bed, 1 after the other, should not make a difference.

3. Fennel should not be planted in vegetable garden, plant by itself, could not find anything that likes it.

4. You have to be careful. Sometimes I just cut a plant stem with a knife rather than digging the roots.
Jo
littlejo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Companion Planting/ Tomatoes and Beans

Post  Cajunsmoke14 on 10/20/2013, 10:04 am

I read somewhere the other day that beans and tomatoes are good companions in a SFG. That you can plant a tomato and beans in the same square.

You put the beans on the north side so they don't shade the tomatoes, and they can share the same trellis, that when the tomatoes are ready to vine or be tied, the beans will be harvested.

Has anyone heard of this?
Cajunsmoke14

Female Posts : 84

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 10/21/2013, 1:08 pm

You must be speaking of bush beans and determinate tomatoes? Because pole beans get plenty big enough to shade tomatoes. And they grow at least as fast as tomatoes too, so if they have an opportunity to shade 'em, that's just what pole beans will do.
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajunsmoke14 on 10/22/2013, 5:56 pm

Actually I found where I read it, The article says peas and tomatoes, not beans. Thanks for the info though.
Cajunsmoke14

Female Posts : 84

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo on 10/22/2013, 6:06 pm

@Cajunsmoke14 wrote:Actually I found where I read it, The article says peas and tomatoes, not beans. Thanks for the info though.
I don't know what area you're in, but, the peas that I grew in SC would sure enough shade the tomatoes. I think the thing is, both beans and peas just love MM, and so do toms. Peas, as long as they start growing in the early spring, and either have a heavy mulch or some lettuce to shade their feet, will grow well into July.
Jo
littlejo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum