Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Hello from a 7b zone
by sanderson Today at 3:28 am

» Tomato Questions
by sanderson Today at 3:04 am

» Butterfly Junction
by sanderson Today at 12:08 am

» Biochar?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Mels book
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:54 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by LizDTM Yesterday at 11:37 pm

» Frames for SFG Beds - Versitile PVC frames for Protection
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 11:30 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:01 pm

» Newbie from Ayrshire, West Coast of Scotland
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» Today's Harvest
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:16 pm

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:34 am

» My Compost Bin
by SQWIB Yesterday at 7:36 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:38 am

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:07 am

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by LizDTM Yesterday at 12:21 am

» How to Grow Better Tomatoes
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:59 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:54 pm

» Helpful Beetles
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:45 pm

» Does MM improve with age?
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:41 pm

» to mulch or not to mulch
by sanderson 10/19/2017, 7:36 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson 10/19/2017, 7:29 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by BeetlesPerSqFt 10/19/2017, 7:19 pm

» Garlic Growing Lovers
by SQWIB 10/19/2017, 5:31 pm

» Gardening & Homesteading Skills Summit REGISTER NOW!
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 11:23 am

» How much room for Tromboncino zucchini?
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 11:08 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 10/19/2017, 10:20 am

» Thumbs Up????
by sanderson 10/19/2017, 10:03 am

» More Bad News for Bugs
by SQWIB 10/19/2017, 9:57 am

» What weed? is this? (with pic)
by sanderson 10/19/2017, 2:57 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What building material? And how high?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What building material? And how high?

Post  lzalvis on 5/9/2013, 10:28 pm

Background: I've read the book. I live in 7a/b (Atlanta, GA) on a small suburban lot. I've done a couple of 4x4 SFGs for the past few years to get the hang of it. One is a traditional 6-inch high-on-the-ground type. The other is 10 inches deep and waist high. *hopefully* by next year, I will have moved a gi-normous shed that is sitting right in all my full sun. SO, I hope to be able to plan well and get more garden in!!

My questions right now:
1) How high/deep can I make my boxes? My raised garden that is waist-high is one that we purchased and assembled (so it was $$). But I LOVE the height of it. I have back problems, and I love not having to kneel and bend. so I know that when I make a larger garden, I will need something higher than 6 inches. I"m wondering how high I can build on the ground (which is more expensive to fill). Versus buying more to-be-assembled raised beds which cost more, but require less filling.

2) IF I built them on the ground, what kind of building options do I have? Mine are done in Cedar. But I"ve seen cinder blocks, and a corrugated aluminum (for housing?). I want to explore my options, cost, and ease of use (as I will be the primary constructor....).

I"m excited to possibly be building in a big space next year!

EDITED: The approximate space I'll have if shed is moved is about 15'x25'. And, I"m totally open to doing a combination of on the ground and elevated beds (waist high).

lzalvis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What building material? And how high?

Post  Turan on 5/10/2013, 12:23 am

Do a search in the forum for table top gardens. People have come up with some great working ideas for these.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan

Female Posts : 2309

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 5/10/2013, 4:31 am

I too have various disabilities and ill health . This is my answer to rickety table top beds and having to rebuild them every five or six years .
They are now into their third year .picture taken a few days ago in May 2013 .
I have about 240 sq feet of such beds containing veg in the rear gardens and flowers on the frontage , because of the slope of my land there is a step of 15 inches or so . These beds help make the retaining walls as well as give me two heights I can work from . All the dividing walls are properly keyed in bricks for maximum cell strength ...no wire ties etc used .

Yes, these initiqally these beds were expensive when set against a simple wooden frame made of scrap wood . They should see me turn my toes up & migrate the the great ANSFG upon high or down below and then some .

These beds are 36 inches tall and obviously can be built to a far greater height.
They were constructed with a hole through the foundations and with weep holes at the first course of bricks for drainage .

Initially I had them filled with neat stable muck & straw which I wettted well every day and covered in a tarp to get it to sweat and drop down , then a week or so later filled level with the top with leaf mould and again watered heavily & recovered every day till it dropped down a foot or so .
I then added my MM to about 9 inches deep and when that had settled several months later topped the beds ( grew some crops mean time ) to the top where you see in the pictures with fresh MM .

One or two beds got a filling of 18 " of MM as I was experimenting , I got some fantastic long root crops and all the brasssica grew like trees . But that depth is not needed nor is the cost of it all wanted .

In my days of good health I built beds like a letter "T " or a tall mushroom for a disabled folks home at various heights so that those with wheel chairs could get the chairs tucked in under them . The upright bit caller the plinth being made of cast reinforced concrete with a central drain point , the top was also cast concrete , the wall was engineering bricks set in the wooden frame work that I cast the tops in , carefully mortared in place before the steel weld mesh reinforced concrete top was cast . The end of each brick was cut with a stepback of 1& 1/2 " so that it hid the supporting reinforced concrete lip
It might seem over the top but because of people needing to use the brick work as support in a public place it had to be nigh on bomb proof

To do it cheaper the walls could also be cast concrete if your able to get a truck with the mixer to direct pour them in place in your gardens .
That way a construct full foundation with steel work and make the casting mould around it them get it poured in one go and vibrated in.
plantoid

Male Posts : 3736

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum