Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Today's Harvest
by Roseinarosecity Today at 12:26 am

» New England Nov 2017
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:01 pm

» Happy Thanksgiving All!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:51 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:30 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:33 pm

» Microgreens Gardening
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 11:55 am

» My new compost heap
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:20 am

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by Robbomb116 11/21/2017, 11:55 am

» Alternative cover to straw for overwintering strawberries.
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/21/2017, 9:38 am

» First Frost!
by brianj555 11/20/2017, 3:27 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 11:29 am

» How Many Square Feet Do You Have?
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 8:56 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by countrynaturals 11/19/2017, 1:16 pm

» The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/19/2017, 11:14 am

» Tomato Questions
by brianj555 11/19/2017, 11:07 am

» N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017
by Scorpio Rising 11/18/2017, 7:34 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY #5 - ENDS 11/17/17
by brianj555 11/18/2017, 4:12 pm

» What I learned this year
by countrynaturals 11/18/2017, 1:45 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver 11/18/2017, 9:26 am

» First Tromboncino female flower
by countrynaturals 11/17/2017, 5:51 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 11/17/2017, 1:59 pm

» Free lunaria seeds
by hammock gal 11/17/2017, 10:12 am

» Plastic containers / trash cans?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 10:33 pm

» Mels book
by Scorpio Rising 11/16/2017, 7:04 pm

» Mid-Atl - Nov 2017 - Warming Up AGAIN?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 4:17 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:59 pm

» Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:41 pm

» Pickle recipes
by sanderson 11/15/2017, 4:12 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Question about pepper plants

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Question about pepper plants

Post  kmarie on 5/14/2013, 5:14 pm

I just went and bought some red, green, and yellow pepper plants and they were sold in 4 packs. I assume that I only plant one per square foot since that is what the book calls for right?
avatar
kmarie

Female Posts : 24
Join date : 2013-04-21
Location : Indiana Zone 5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Question about pepper plants

Post  camprn on 5/14/2013, 5:17 pm

@kmarie wrote:I just went and bought some red, green, and yellow pepper plants and they were sold in 4 packs. I assume that I only plant one per square foot since that is what the book calls for right?
Yes that is correct, one per square as the plants will take up a bunch of space above the bed.

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Question about pepper plants

Post  kmarie on 5/14/2013, 9:55 pm

Okay, I just wanted to be sure because they seem like such little plants to need one square foot. Thanks!
avatar
kmarie

Female Posts : 24
Join date : 2013-04-21
Location : Indiana Zone 5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Question about pepper plants

Post  mschaef on 5/14/2013, 10:05 pm

trust us they will grow and then you will be glad that you put only one per square!!
avatar
mschaef

Female Posts : 598
Join date : 2012-03-12
Age : 31
Location : Hampton, Georgia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pepper Plants

Post  ArkansasSFGardener on 5/14/2013, 11:38 pm

My green bell pepper plants are in the cages..
avatar
ArkansasSFGardener

Male Posts : 87
Join date : 2013-05-01
Age : 28
Location : Lonoke, Arkansas 7b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Question about pepper plants

Post  mschaef on 5/15/2013, 11:13 am

Looks great!!!! cheers
avatar
mschaef

Female Posts : 598
Join date : 2012-03-12
Age : 31
Location : Hampton, Georgia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Question about pepper plants

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/15/2013, 12:52 pm

I'm planting 5 in 4 sqs this year as an experiment, since I read somewhere that in windy areas it helps if they can support each other somewhat. I'll let you know what happens.

CC
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6478
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Question about pepper plants

Post  Goosegirl on 5/15/2013, 6:08 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:I'm planting 5 in 4 sqs this year as an experiment, since I read somewhere that in windy areas it helps if they can support each other somewhat. I'll let you know what happens.

CC

I am interested to find out how this works for you. My neighbor has her peppers about 4-5 inches apart, because she says she has always had more success with her peppers when she crowds them.

GG

PS - it is VERY windy here, so maybe that is why they do so well for her crowded together.
avatar
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3412
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 52
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Question about pepper plants

Post  camprn on 5/15/2013, 6:10 pm

@Goosegirl wrote:
@CapeCoddess wrote:I'm planting 5 in 4 sqs this year as an experiment, since I read somewhere that in windy areas it helps if they can support each other somewhat. I'll let you know what happens.

CC

I am interested to find out how this works for you. My neighbor has her peppers about 4-5 inches apart, because she says she has always had more success with her peppers when she crowds them.

GG

PS - it is VERY windy here, so maybe that is why they do so well for her crowded together.
I have pretty good success with the one plant (poblano) per square. I usually pinch it to make it bush out and this increases yields.

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Question about pepper plants

Post  boffer on 5/15/2013, 6:38 pm

The only piece of gardening advice I've ever gotten from my parents is that 'peppers like company' ie. crowd them together. I don't have a clue why.

I plant one per square, but I also plant some in pots. I crowd the pots together and let the plants figure out on their own how to share space. I haven't noticed a difference in production either way.
avatar
boffer

Male Posts : 7392
Join date : 2010-02-26
Age : 64
Location : yelm, wa, usa

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Re: Question about pepper plants

Post  RoOsTeR on 5/16/2013, 8:05 am

@boffer wrote:The only piece of gardening advice I've ever gotten from my parents is that 'peppers like company' ie. crowd them together. I don't have a clue why.

I plant one per square, but I also plant some in pots. I crowd the pots together and let the plants figure out on their own how to share space. I haven't noticed a difference in production either way.

Well, I will probably be putting that advice to good use. For some reason I ended up with about 30 pepper plants What a Face
I was totally guilty of looking at my tiny little starter cells and thinking no way that was enough pepper starts...so I planted more! Funny how those little cells take up little to no room and deceive you. Now I'm having a hard time juggling all the cups till I can get them planted...someplace cyclops

____________________________


I am my gardens worst enemy.
avatar
RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 4316
Join date : 2011-10-04
Location : Colorado Front Range

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Question about pepper plants

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/16/2013, 8:28 am

@RoOsTeR wrote: Funny how those little cells take up little to no room and deceive you. Now I'm having a hard time juggling all the cups till I can get them planted...someplace cyclops

Yeah, that was sure an eye-opener for me this year! Shocked

CC
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6478
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Question about pepper plants

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/16/2013, 8:31 am

@Goosegirl wrote:
@CapeCoddess wrote:I'm planting 5 in 4 sqs this year as an experiment, since I read somewhere that in windy areas it helps if they can support each other somewhat. I'll let you know what happens.

CC

I am interested to find out how this works for you. My neighbor has her peppers about 4-5 inches apart, because she says she has always had more success with her peppers when she crowds them.

GG

PS - it is VERY windy here, so maybe that is why they do so well for her crowded together.

GG, I put 3 in a triangle in a 12" pot last year and I really think they would have done fine if I'd only known what I was doing and started with MM. They never had a issue from the winds tho.

CC
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6478
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Question about pepper plants

Post  kmarie on 5/16/2013, 8:52 am

Hmmm...maybe I will try planting 2 per square and see what happens. I have 3 left over from each of the 4 pack that I purchased. I didn't want to buy pots to put them in so I was thinking about giving them to my MIL.
avatar
kmarie

Female Posts : 24
Join date : 2013-04-21
Location : Indiana Zone 5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Question about pepper plants

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/16/2013, 9:05 am

@kmarie wrote:Hmmm...maybe I will try planting 2 per square and see what happens. I have 3 left over from each of the 4 pack that I purchased. I didn't want to buy pots to put them in so I was thinking about giving them to my MIL.

Or maybe try both ways and see if there's any difference. I love experimenting!

CC
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6478
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Question about pepper plants

Post  Windmere on 5/16/2013, 11:22 am

@RoOsTeR wrote:
@boffer wrote:The only piece of gardening advice I've ever gotten from my parents is that 'peppers like company' ie. crowd them together. I don't have a clue why.

I plant one per square, but I also plant some in pots. I crowd the pots together and let the plants figure out on their own how to share space. I haven't noticed a difference in production either way.

Well, I will probably be putting that advice to good use. For some reason I ended up with about 30 pepper plants What a Face
I was totally guilty of looking at my tiny little starter cells and thinking no way that was enough pepper starts...so I planted more! Funny how those little cells take up little to no room and deceive you. Now I'm having a hard time juggling all the cups till I can get them planted...someplace cyclops

Rooster, I have a similar problem. Since I am new to all of this, I planted many bell peppers thinking that there is strength in numbers. I ended up with 13 California Wonders. Wow! Way more than I planned to have. I also planted some anaheim chiles (I have 4 of these... I exercised some restraint). My wife makes a marvelous dish called "chile rellenos." This is anaheim chiles stuffed with cheddar cheese and covered with an egg batter (and then fried). I REALLY hope the anaheims do well because we all love this dish.
avatar
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425
Join date : 2013-02-26
Age : 48
Location : Fayetteville, GA - Zone 7B - 8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Question about pepper plants

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum