Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ayrshire Newbie
by robert1938 Today at 12:17 pm

» Hello from West Coast Of Scotland
by robert1938 Today at 12:02 pm

» Gardening & Homesteading Skills Summit REGISTER NOW!
by countrynaturals Today at 11:53 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver Today at 9:53 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Today at 9:45 am

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by LizDTM Today at 12:33 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by brianj555 Yesterday at 8:47 pm

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 8:40 pm

» Garlic Growing Lovers
by Turan Yesterday at 5:14 pm

» Lower south Oct 2017
by brianj555 Yesterday at 5:02 pm

» Sowing Experiment! Anyone Tried This?
by brianj555 Yesterday at 4:50 pm

» Thumbs Up????
by brianj555 Yesterday at 4:47 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY - ENDS 10/20/17
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:37 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:34 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by Turan Yesterday at 12:01 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:17 am

» Today's Harvest
by brianj555 10/16/2017, 8:21 pm

» new greenhouse got drafted
by Scorpio Rising 10/16/2017, 8:08 pm

» Monarch Supporter
by Scorpio Rising 10/16/2017, 7:55 pm

» New England October 2017
by countrynaturals 10/16/2017, 1:09 pm

» October Avatar: Don't Fence Me In
by trolleydriver 10/16/2017, 11:45 am

» Does MM improve with age?
by countrynaturals 10/15/2017, 3:51 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 10/15/2017, 3:28 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 10/15/2017, 11:34 am

» Leaf-Footed squash bugs
by sanderson 10/14/2017, 11:21 pm

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by Scorpio Rising 10/14/2017, 9:12 pm

» Tomato Questions
by Scorpio Rising 10/14/2017, 9:06 pm

» large plant ID stakes
by has55 10/14/2017, 4:02 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 10/14/2017, 3:12 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hurry up Peas!!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hurry up Peas!!

Post  Andrea13 on 5/16/2013, 9:36 pm

We had such a cold spring that it took my shelling peas 3 weeks longer to germinate than I expected....they are about 3 feet tall and beautiful, but no flowers yet. I need their squares for my tomatoes, and I'm starting to get impatient. They are in the northern 8 of my 8x4 - 4 squares are even 2 weeks further behind. I guess I messed that up and thought they would open up sooner. What would you guys do? I can sacrifice some lettuce from elsewhere and use those squares for tomatoes, but it would throw off my whole plan and would not be ideal due to trellis, shading issues, etc... I would hate to kill 8 squares of pea plants that are well on their way.

Should I just be patient and give them a few weeks? I can NOT miss out on my window to plant tomatoes, that's the highlight of my whole year!!
Andrea13

Female Posts : 38

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hurry up Peas!!

Post  Goosegirl on 5/16/2013, 10:32 pm

If your tomato plants are small, they could be tucked into the peas and by the time the tomato plants are big enough to need the trellis space you may be done harvesting the peas. thinking

GG
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3412

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch on 5/17/2013, 10:26 am

this happened to me last year...I sacrificed some peas and planted tomatoes but tried to leave as many peas as possible...we were able to pick some peas before the tomatoes crowded everything out...seemed like peas take forever especially since they love cold weather.
landarch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 5/17/2013, 11:17 am

You are in Maryland. You have plenty of time to wait till the peas come in then plant your tomaotes. But they will not be as early as you usually harvest. So depends on whether you want to wait for the tomatoes for a later harvest. Or try the suggestions already given to compromise. Or plant one tomato right now so you get some early ones and then wait till your peas come in to plant the rest of your tomatoes.

I picked my first pea last night after work and we all tried one little pea to see how sweet it was. Oh good good.
yolos

Female Posts : 3264

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrea13 on 5/17/2013, 2:21 pm

Thanks everyone - I appreciate all the replies! Very Happy

I was thinking there is absolutely NO room to squeeze a tomato in between the peas, since they are 8 per square, but maybe I can compromise and remove just a few peas to make some room for little tomatoes - I like that idea a lot!

Also good to know I still have time. I'm not in a huge rush, I am just worried about missing the tomato window altogether. Sounds like I have a little time before that's a concern.

Again, many thanks for the suggestions! I really didn't want to miss out on my first taste of home grown peas, and now I don't think I have to cheers
Andrea13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch on 5/17/2013, 2:43 pm

with our weather I would have ran into the same issue again this year, so I planted peas by themselves in a separate 2x4 box (8 squares)...then the box will be open after peas are harvested for peppers or fall brocolli, cauliflower, beets, carrots, etc.
landarch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrea13 on 5/18/2013, 8:41 am

I wish I would have thought far enough ahead to plan it that way - oh well Smile I actually thought my peas were gonners, but sure enough a month after I sowed the seads they all sprouted. I guess you just have to go with the flow.

And sure enough, the first little blooms made their appearance this morning...YAY!! happy turtle
Andrea13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl on 5/18/2013, 10:12 pm

Andrea13 wrote: I actually thought my peas were gonners, but sure enough a month after I sowed the seads they all sprouted. I guess you just have to go with the flow.

I had the same issue. I planted April 1, and then we had 4 more snowstorms. The first ones sprouted April 28.

GG
Goosegirl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean on 5/19/2013, 11:55 pm

My peas have been a little slow in coming, but just on Friday I finally saw a blossom - rock on
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 675

View user profile http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch on 5/20/2013, 9:26 am

...looks like my peas survived threats of severe thunderstorms, hail, and tornado watches/ warnings last night...OK and KS are supposed to be in for round two today.
landarch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 5/20/2013, 4:11 pm

I've started all my peas two seeds at a time in my bottomless pot /tubes ( X 8 tubes at a time ) in the glasshouse .
When they got 3 inches tall I planted them out in the beds after a days hardening off .

I've now got three different stages of peas growing , two in my beds & one in the green house nearly big enough to plant out in a bed .
plantoid

Male Posts : 3734

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell on 5/24/2013, 9:29 pm

Dunkinjean wrote:My peas have been a little slow in coming, but just on Friday I finally saw a blossom - rock on
Phew - so it's not just me! I just finally saw a blossom late last week as well. At least the peas shouldn't fare too badly during this weird cold snap. Here's hoping the tomatoes don't suffer too much as well. Smile
moswell

Female Posts : 361

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden on 5/25/2013, 8:19 pm

My peas are probably only 8-10" tall at the most and they are vining type, not bush type. I planted them April 4th. I planted two seeds per hole and only about 1/4 of all the seeds grew. It gets annoying with such a low germination rate and it seems to happen every year with me. I have used the innoculant most years and I soak them for a bit before I plant them.
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1632

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl on 5/26/2013, 9:03 am

Triciasgarden wrote:My peas are probably only 8-10" tall at the most and they are vining type, not bush type. I planted them April 4th. I planted two seeds per hole and only about 1/4 of all the seeds grew. It gets annoying with such a low germination rate and it seems to happen every year with me. I have used the innoculant most years and I soak them for a bit before I plant them.

Tricia - My peas are about the same height, or shorter, and I planted on April 1st. I did get better germination (about 90%) but they are just SLOW this year. We are currently in cooler weather (60's during day, 40's to 50's at night) with constant rain or mist, and the peas are loving it. Most of their growth has been in the last week during our constant rain. We had one dry day (Thursday) after 5 days of rain, and now at least the next full week is supposed to be wet. Here's hoping for some peas!

GG
Goosegirl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 5/26/2013, 9:50 am

I just got a few flowers from my peas as well. I am thinking that though everything I planted very early... has survived... they really have not DONE anything yet, and so I wonder what was the point in planting so early :scratch:
My tomatoes are doing so well in 5 gallon buckets I think I am just going to leave them in buckets. The ones actually planted in garden look very anemic. Have you thought of keeping tomatoes in large buckets?
GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/26/2013, 1:04 pm

GWN wrote:I am thinking that though everything I planted very early... has survived... they really have not DONE anything yet, and so I wonder what was the point in planting so early :scratch:

I'm coming to the same conclusion, altho I have to admit, starting all those seeds in Jan, Feb & March kept me sane thru that crazy winter we had. I think that's why I did it.

I haven't done toms in a bucket but I'm seriously thinking of putting a window box on the other side of my pea trellis and sticking some cucs & melons or squash in it.

CC
CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lillyz on 5/26/2013, 11:30 pm

Triciasgarden wrote:My peas are probably only 8-10" tall at the most and they are vining type, not bush type. I planted them April 4th. I planted two seeds per hole and only about 1/4 of all the seeds grew. It gets annoying with such a low germination rate and it seems to happen every year with me. I have used the innoculant most years and I soak them for a bit before I plant them.

Tricia,
I planted my "snow" peas on March 17. They are about 18-24" and today I noticed 1 blossom on them plus a few buds that will probably open tomorrow. I had excellent germination rate, soaked overnight before direct sowing. I thought I had lost them at least once because of hard freezes. I think they are starting to blossom because its been hot for the past few days mid-80s and up.

GWN,
Been doing tomatoes in containers for a few years now. They seem to like it. I bought three because the ones I started all died from damping off. Early girl is starting to blossom. They have been in containers since 5/15.
Lillyz

Female Posts : 128

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 5/27/2013, 12:27 pm

I planted my sweet peas on 2/24/13. I harvested my first batch last night 5/26/13. Two cups after shelling. This is the first time I have been able to harvest sweet peas in the spring. The cool weather here helped get them to harvest time. They were supposed to be ready in 65 days but took 90 days to mature.
yolos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 5/27/2013, 12:32 pm

Lilly
GWN,
Been doing tomatoes in containers for a few years now. They seem to like it. I bought three because the ones I started all died from damping off. Early girl is starting to blossom. They have been in containers since 5/15.
ME TOO. I keep about 7 plants in greenhouse which is totally open all summer, I have about 12 plants in pots and the rest in ground. The ones in pots are ahead and really no difference between the ones in the ground as far as production.

YOLOS.... I am envious. I planted mine in Feb as well and only now have gotten flowers..... HOWEVER I have lots of flowers so perhaps lots of peas soon.
I am taking this opportunity to plant peas everywhere with my second planting. (I always forget to keep on planting Embarassed )
GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden on 5/27/2013, 5:56 pm

So I figure I should have planted my peas earlier and soaked them overnight. I will have to write that down for the Fall or next year.
Triciasgarden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch on 5/28/2013, 9:13 am

my peas just bloomed yesterday...hopefully the SFG will survive 4-5 more days of forecasted rain (I guess the drought is probably over).
landarch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden on 5/28/2013, 2:37 pm

Hopefully you will get rain regularly (without flooding) to get you guys out of the drought!
Triciasgarden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/28/2013, 3:27 pm

No pea flowers here. But I have a cherry tomato that looks like a Lesueur pea...does that count? Rolling Eyes

CC
CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 5/28/2013, 10:02 pm

Because I was not at home until May 8, I'm not going to have any peas this year. Sad And peas are something I really love to eat. The peas I planted at my son's house started blooming just before I left so I didn't get any of his either.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4360

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 5/28/2013, 10:26 pm

I already harvested one batch, here is the second batch.

yolos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum