Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by jimmy cee Today at 10:29 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:51 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:46 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by sanderson Today at 8:30 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality Today at 7:21 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by GardenGal Today at 6:38 pm

by trolleydriver Today at 4:14 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 1:32 pm

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 12:57 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by sanderson Today at 12:40 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Today at 12:32 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 10:56 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Today at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Today at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Today at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Today at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:52 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Organic Fertilizer for Blueberry bush

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Organic Fertilizer for Blueberry bush

Post  mrmikechan on 5/17/2013, 12:41 am

I have a couple of blue berry bushes in their second year. I noticed that some of the leaves are already turning color like light red purple color. The bushes are starting to sprout little tiny blue berries. Do I need to add some fertilizer to the bushes now? The only thing I have done this year is added more compost materials to the blue berry bushes and a little bit of organic sulfer mixed into the soil to reduce the PH.

In my research for fertilizers the NPK ratios suggested for Blueberry bushes are all over the place and I can't figure out which one to use. Would a 10-10-10 organic fertilizer be good enough?

Thanks,

Mike

mrmikechan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Organic Fertilizer for Blueberry bush

Post  donnainzone5 on 5/17/2013, 11:03 am

Although I certainly am no expert on blueberries, I'm about to plant three of them in a homemade bed.

First, though, I have to test the mix I'm planting them in for appropriate pH. From what I understand, any fertilizer should be specifically for acid-loving plants.

donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1917

View user profile http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  mrmikechan on 5/17/2013, 3:09 pm

donnainzone10 wrote:Although I certainly am no expert on blueberries, I'm about to plant three of them in a homemade bed.

First, though, I have to test the mix I'm planting them in for appropriate pH. From what I understand, any fertilizer should be specifically for acid-loving plants.

When I transplanted the blue berry bushes into my yard, I did not do any soil analysis or prepare the soil. I dug out existing Arborvitae bushes and put Blue berry bushes there instead. Now I am starting to notice color changes in the leaves that should be green color so that has gotten me to worry a little bit. After searching around I think I am going to try using an organic fertilizer from Espoma called Holly-Tone-4-3-4 and see if that will help out with the leaves.

mrmikechan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mapspringer on 5/17/2013, 4:47 pm

After 4-5 years of failed attempts, I can relate my experience. First, I should have had a soil test done before even considering blueberries. I tilled mushroom compost and pine fines in a plot, then planted 6 bushes. Those are long gone. Every year I have amended the soil with manures, compost, sulfur, etc. I even moved said soil to a new "raised bed" location where the 2 new bushes will get maximum sunlight. Also, B berries DRINK the water, so I'm upping that this year. If you're going to fertilize, Holly Tone is the way to go (from what I've been told.) I just wish that I would have tested the soil and then been patient as the soil was being prepared for a year or more... Live and learn.

mapspringer

Male Posts : 66

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mrmikechan on 5/17/2013, 6:36 pm

@mapspringer wrote:After 4-5 years of failed attempts, I can relate my experience. First, I should have had a soil test done before even considering blueberries. I tilled mushroom compost and pine fines in a plot, then planted 6 bushes. Those are long gone. Every year I have amended the soil with manures, compost, sulfur, etc. I even moved said soil to a new "raised bed" location where the 2 new bushes will get maximum sunlight. Also, B berries DRINK the water, so I'm upping that this year. If you're going to fertilize, Holly Tone is the way to go (from what I've been told.) I just wish that I would have tested the soil and then been patient as the soil was being prepared for a year or more... Live and learn.

Sorry to hear about your failed attempts. Sounds like you figured it out. Thanks for sharing and for confirming the Holly Tone fertilizer. I just hope that the fertilizer will turn things around for my Blueberry bushes.

mrmikechan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo on 5/17/2013, 7:32 pm

Blueberry bushes have a redish tone to them in the spring, while beginning to flower and put on fruit. A organic fertilizer for tomatoes will work too, they love the acid too. Pile on the pine straw as a mulch, and that will provide the acid needed by the plant. I don't fertilize, except when I planted and I used azalea fertilizer, which is acid too.
Jo

littlejo

Female Posts : 1528

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mrmikechan on 5/20/2013, 1:32 am

@littlejo wrote:Blueberry bushes have a redish tone to them in the spring, while beginning to flower and put on fruit. A organic fertilizer for tomatoes will work too, they love the acid too. Pile on the pine straw as a mulch, and that will provide the acid needed by the plant. I don't fertilize, except when I planted and I used azalea fertilizer, which is acid too.
Jo

Thanks for the tip. Some of my blueberry bush leaves are turning red in color as if it was fall and the leave shapes are funky looking. Some of them look like they have been eaten by some insects. I think my soil is Nitrogen deficient. I really haven't fertilized the soil in over a year since I planted the bushes. I just fertilized it with some coffee grounds and crushed egg shells and Jobe's Organic Flower and Vegetable Food Granules (4-4-4). My store didn't carry the Espoma Holy Tone. Hopefully things will turn around.

mrmikechan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo on 5/20/2013, 7:12 am

if you think bugs are bothering the bushes, you could try a dish soap spray. My worst enemy here is deer. They love blueberries.
I don't understand what is the bushes doing to signal a problem? I would not do too much fertilizing til after fruit season.
Jo

littlejo

Female Posts : 1528

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:53 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum