Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 5:17 pm

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by plantoid Today at 5:14 pm

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by plantoid Today at 5:02 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Today at 4:59 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by sanderson Today at 4:35 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Today at 4:29 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Today at 4:25 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Today at 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by sanderson Today at 4:12 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by Kelejan Today at 4:08 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 3:54 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Today at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Today at 2:14 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by trolleydriver Today at 1:37 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Today at 1:26 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by countrynaturals Today at 1:22 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Today at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Today at 12:52 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 10:11 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by AtlantaMarie Today at 5:51 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 5:44 am

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Today at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:23 pm

» Winter's Coming!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 4:52 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:22 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:05 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:15 am

» Greenhouse dreams
by trolleydriver 11/30/2016, 11:18 am

» putting your raised garden beds to bed for Winter
by jimmy cee 11/30/2016, 8:46 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Adding to Single Compost MM

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Adding to Single Compost MM

Post  sanderson on 5/20/2013, 1:26 am

This is my first year with SFG. My MM is 1/3 fluffed peat moss, 1/3 perlite/vermiculte mix, and Kellogg All Natural Garden Soil. It's working great but I don't think it will continue providing enough nutrients throughout the long growing season. I need to add some more sources of nutritious compost and I could use some feed back. Can I add the following as a corner top-dressing, using a half a scoop of mix in each box, lightly mixing in?

Equal parts of:

-Lowe's Cow manure that smells really nice, not at all like manure.
-Worm castings
-Kelp
-Starbucks coffee grounds

Any else I should add at this time?

I also plan to make a buried compost of the above along with kitchen green waste and leaves for future replacement scoops.

All comments welcomed

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12224

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Adding to Single Compost MM

Post  camprn on 5/20/2013, 6:32 am

When I topdress with compost I am not shy about putting it on. Typically I add an inch or two to the entire bed surface. It is different with fertilizers and I recommend following the label directions.

Have you thought about making a simple wire hoop for making your own compost? It's easier than burying it.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 5/20/2013, 1:09 pm

Dear Camp RN, I tried above ground composting but it bred white flies. I had spent two years trying to save my gardenias from white flies and finally ripped out all but one. That's why I am going to have to compost underground. Another story.

I want to add the items from my list to my growing beds but I don't want to hurt the existing veggies. So, if I mix equal amounts of the items in my list, do you think a hand trowel or a half a trowel amount would hurt the veggies?

Thanks, s anderson

sanderson

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 5/21/2013, 3:35 pm

Anyone else have suggestions? I want to add the ingredients I listed but I don't want to hurt anything. The pure kelp smells like the ocean! The cow manure is nice and earthy. Ditto on the worm casting. The kelp and castings were kind of expensive to order online but they were really nice quality. The coffee grinds are very fine.

At what quantity can I add to existing squares and pots, and do I just leave on top or in corners or can I slightly mix.

My beginner's MM is 1/3 Kellogg. I can't help but think that if my MM is good at this point, how much better it will be when I can make my own compost! Meanwhile, what can I safely add?

sanderson

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chjbr63 on 5/22/2013, 4:52 am

I'm far from an expert, only my second year but I had same issue last year. Here is what I did and what I would do with what you have available.
First coffee put right in your garden can cause more problems than it helps. Before I found SFG I did all container growing. I would put the grounds from my morning coffee in and work it in a bit. Before long the top 2 inches was more coffee than anything else, it would dry out fast and when kept wet it would get white mold. My coffee goes in the compost pile and I use some as part of my compost tea mix.
Worm casting, a little goes a long way. It helped my first year SFG a great deal. I put a small handful in each square. Also good for tea.
Pure kelp can be very strong too. I wouldn't add it directly, I would just sprinkle small amount in your compost blend and use it in your tea.
The Kellogg product sounds pretty good but it has peat in it and may have thrown off your ratio(1/3,1/3,1/3) a little bit. Top dressing with a good blended compost will help the ratio and feed the soil.
I would strongly suggest you add a couple more items to your list. Mushroom compost is cheap and pretty easy to find. I see on your local craigslist rabbit manure and other compost cheap or free. http://fresno.craigslist.org/grd/3741938031.html Do a search on the forum and you will find a lot of us love our rabbit poo. Here is a informative article on it.
http://riseandshinerabbitry.com/2012/03/31/the-benefits-and-uses-of-rabbit-manure/
Take your bag from Lowes and bag of mushroom and spread them out, add around 20% to your volume of each of the rabbit and worms castings. Saving the rest for making tea. Go light on the kelp and mix that all together. It wouldn't hurt anything adding it right away, but you can wait until you feel it needs it. I like to use my hands to add mine, one or two handfuls per square and I work it in with my fingers.

Hope this helps

chjbr63

Male Posts : 106

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch on 5/22/2013, 9:24 am

I would just use some simple organic fertilizer (Chickity Doo Doo or similar) and concentrate on getting your compost pile going. You could also water with compost tea, fish emulsion, etc. (fish emuslion smells as bad as it sounds).

I've also heard that rabbit manure can be added directly to the garden without comosting first and not harm the plants.

landarch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 5/22/2013, 10:57 am

My thinking is that you began the season without using the Mel's mix recipe that calls for a 5 way compost blend, and your results reflect this. I would make every effort to find five different types of compost, including manure composts and take the time to make the blend and then top dress with compost a few inches deep all across the bed.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:21 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum