Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by GardenGal Today at 2:14 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:00 pm

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:19 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by yolos Yesterday at 5:57 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:21 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 4:41 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Yesterday at 7:05 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 11:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 12/7/2016, 9:43 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 12/7/2016, 9:41 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan 12/7/2016, 5:19 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/7/2016, 11:48 am

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

» New Member
by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

2'x2' for summer squash

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2'x2' for summer squash

Post  ETNRedClay on 5/21/2013, 6:19 pm

I fell like I am seriously UNDERplanting the 2'x2' squares I built for summer squash. One plant seems to be lost in the square by itself. I built them several feet apart so there would be room to grow...

And I am having a VERY hard time with the idea of taking the 3-pack of summer squash with 2 plants in each hole and snipping it all back to ONE plant...

I want to put at least 3 plants in the 4-square feet, in each of the back corners and front middle...?

I have 4ea 2'x2' beds and I'm planting Yellow Crookneck, Yellow Straightneck, Pattypan Green, and Zuchinni.

Has anyone grown more than 1 summer squash plant in a dedicated and separated 2'x2'? Successfully grown them?

(Oh, and this is 6" of 1/3 peat, 1/3 coarse V, 1/3 6-blend compost which is mushroom, aged horsestall leavings, black hen, black kow, nutri-fiber with bio-char and worm castings.)

ETNRedClay

Female Posts : 210
Join date : 2013-04-12
Location : East Tennessee of course

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2'x2' for summer squash

Post  boffer on 5/21/2013, 6:52 pm

I've grown summer squash in the corners of 4x4 boxes, and forcibly trained them to grow out the sides of the box and not into the adjoining squares. Because of how the fruit develops around the center of the plant, I'm pretty sure I lost production on the two insides of the square.

I hear where you're at, and suggest trying two per 2x2 box as an experiment.

Here's a pic (not my box) to help you visualize where you're headed!

boffer

Male Posts : 7392
Join date : 2010-02-26
Age : 63
Location : yelm, wa, usa

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Re: 2'x2' for summer squash

Post  yolos on 5/21/2013, 10:11 pm

Last year I grew my summer squash in 2 x 2 beds. One squash per bed. I believe I could have fit more than one per bed because I trained them on a stake and a cage. But they all got attacked by SVB so they never got hugh so I really am not sure.





I did have a lot of room in the corners of each bed because I removed the lower leaves. So I could have planted a smaller crop in the corners. If I had known Pollinator's solution (marigolds) to SVB, there was plenty of room for some dwarf french marigolds.

yolos

Female Posts : 2860
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 66
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2'x2' for summer squash

Post  Pollinator on 5/21/2013, 11:03 pm

@yolos wrote: If I had known Pollinator's solution (marigolds) to SVB, there was plenty of room for some dwarf french marigolds.

I'm thinking that I had expressed several times - that DFMs are NO good for squash vine borers or pickleworm. They do work, though for SQUASH BUGS, cucumber beetles and some other pests.

Pollinator

Male Posts : 444
Join date : 2012-06-23
Location : Coastal SC

View user profile http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Re: 2'x2' for summer squash

Post  yolos on 5/22/2013, 12:40 am

You are right pollinator. I am so sorry. You did specifically say the DFM's were no protection against the squash vine borer.

yolos

Female Posts : 2860
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 66
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2'x2' for summer squash

Post  southern gardener on 5/22/2013, 12:56 am

yolos...your garden is beautiful!! wow!!

southern gardener

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 36
Location : california, zone 10a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2'x2' for summer squash

Post  sanderson on 5/22/2013, 1:26 am

This is my first year so everything I'm doing is an experiment. I planted one squash per square and am training them to go vertical. They are in corner squares in case the vertical attempt fails. Then they will crawl out of the boxes! Here are a couple of photos taken April 27 and May 7. The weather has cooled off and they have been growing like mad. I will take photos tomorrow as an update.

April 27


May 7


A tomato and squash going vertical:

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12277
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2'x2' for summer squash

Post  R&R 1011 on 5/22/2013, 1:33 am

This is my first year, but Im experimenting with planting yellow crookneck and zucchini. Im planting one plant per 2x2.

R&R 1011

Female Posts : 280
Join date : 2013-02-22
Age : 33
Location : London, OH -Zone 5B/ 6A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2'x2' for summer squash

Post  yolos on 5/22/2013, 6:25 am

@southern gardener wrote:yolos...your garden is beautiful!! wow!!

Thank you but that was last year, my first year and everything looked new and beautiful. I put three coats of raw linseed oil on my boxes, but after one year they still turned grey. The wheat straw had just been put down and now it is all brown. But I still like it and enjoy it very much.

yolos

Female Posts : 2860
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 66
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2'x2' for summer squash

Post  RoOsTeR on 5/22/2013, 8:56 am

@ETNRedClay wrote:I fell like I am seriously UNDERplanting the 2'x2' squares I built for summer squash. One plant seems to be lost in the square by itself. I built them several feet apart so there would be room to grow...

And I am having a VERY hard time with the idea of taking the 3-pack of summer squash with 2 plants in each hole and snipping it all back to ONE plant...

I want to put at least 3 plants in the 4-square feet, in each of the back corners and front middle...?

I have 4ea 2'x2' beds and I'm planting Yellow Crookneck, Yellow Straightneck, Pattypan Green, and Zuchinni.

Has anyone grown more than 1 summer squash plant in a dedicated and separated 2'x2'? Successfully grown them?

(Oh, and this is 6" of 1/3 peat, 1/3 coarse V, 1/3 6-blend compost which is mushroom, aged horsestall leavings, black hen, black kow, nutri-fiber with bio-char and worm castings.)

I have little doubt you can grow 3 summer squash in your 2x2 squares. I can say that once they grow, and they will grow cyclops your ease of access will get smaller and smaller Very Happy even if you trim heavily, they will just keep growing. It will become harder for you to see and find all your squash. This may sound like a welcomed problem to have, I felt the same way, but after a few weeks/month of this, it gets old! I got tons and tons of squash, and trimmed heavily, but I also wondered if my yields could have been better with easier access, had I planted less in a small area.
I know it seems like a waste of real estate now, but those thoughts will disappear soon enough What a Face

____________________________


I am my gardens worst enemy.

RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 3879
Join date : 2011-10-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2'x2' for summer squash

Post  Pollinator on 5/22/2013, 10:25 am

@yolos wrote:You are right pollinator. I am so sorry. You did specifically say the DFM's were no protection against the squash vine borer.

Not that we don't all wish they were!

Pollinator

Male Posts : 444
Join date : 2012-06-23
Location : Coastal SC

View user profile http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Re: 2'x2' for summer squash

Post  ETNRedClay on 5/22/2013, 2:06 pm

@RoOsTeR wrote:I have little doubt you can grow 3 summer squash in your 2x2 squares. I can say that once they grow, and they will grow cyclops your ease of access will get smaller and smaller Very Happy even if you trim heavily, they will just keep growing. It will become harder for you to see and find all your squash. This may sound like a welcomed problem to have, I felt the same way, but after a few weeks/month of this, it gets old! I got tons and tons of squash, and trimmed heavily, but I also wondered if my yields could have been better with easier access, had I planted less in a small area.
I know it seems like a waste of real estate now, but those thoughts will disappear soon enough What a Face

OK, that's what I wanted -- someone to say, in effect, It'll be OK, trust your seeds. LOL.

One per 2'x2' and I'll put marigolds in the corners which will be crowded out later, but that's later.

Another thought, I think I'll put an "insurance" plant in a 5-gallon bucket on the other side of the garden, just in case I lose the one-each I'm planting in these squares.

THANKS ALL!

ETNRedClay

Female Posts : 210
Join date : 2013-04-12
Location : East Tennessee of course

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2'x2' for summer squash

Post  ETNRedClay on 5/22/2013, 2:11 pm

Sanderson, cool experiment, please keep us updated.

ETNRedClay

Female Posts : 210
Join date : 2013-04-12
Location : East Tennessee of course

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2'x2' for summer squash

Post  Pepper on 5/22/2013, 2:23 pm

Last year I got my sack lunch ate by SVB and pickle worms. This year I am preemptively using BT to ward off the assault. Both predators hatch as a caterpillar type worm before invading the stalks so........
Here is hoping to get at least one squash.

Pepper

Male Posts : 564
Join date : 2012-03-04
Location : Columbus, Ga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2'x2' for summer squash

Post  quiltbea on 5/22/2013, 9:03 pm

I saw a video last week on defeating the Squash Vine Borer, using panty hose.
You cut the hose in about a 5-6" length, slip it down over a very young plant to the root section and pin its fullness with straight pins to keep it snug around the base. Re-cover the area with soil but leave some hose above the soil line. The SVB can't get thru the hose to attack your root system. Looked good so I'll be trying it.
You should also cover the plant with light insect barrier to defeat the squash bugs or they'll make short work of your plant.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613
Join date : 2010-03-21
Age : 74
Location : Southwestern Maine Zone 5A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2'x2' for summer squash

Post  Goosegirl on 5/22/2013, 9:20 pm

@quiltbea wrote:I saw a video last week on defeating the Squash Vine Borer, using panty hose.
You cut the hose in about a 5-6" length, slip it down over a very young plant to the root section and pin its fullness with straight pins to keep it snug around the base. Re-cover the area with soil but leave some hose above the soil line. The SVB can't get thru the hose to attack your root system. Looked good so I'll be trying it.
You should also cover the plant with light insect barrier to defeat the squash bugs or they'll make short work of your plant.

thanks you rock I am SOOOOOOOO going to try this! I got 3 squash last year AFTER injecting with neem. BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I always have pantyhose that I have popped a toenail through!

GG

____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2'x2' for summer squash

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:41 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum