Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» California's Drought
by Kelejan Today at 7:37 pm

» Straw Bales with Seeds?
by donnainzone5 Today at 7:00 pm

» Garlic
by recoush Today at 5:15 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by trolleydriver Today at 5:11 pm

» Mason bees
by recoush Today at 5:08 pm

» What's eating my plants
by CapeCoddess Today at 4:52 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by CapeCoddess Today at 4:51 pm

» Peas and cucumbers: Trellis position and plant spacing
by Robbomb116 Today at 3:49 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 1:51 pm

» Hello from central Massachusetts!
by CapeCoddess Today at 10:52 am

» N&C Midwest: October Happenings!
by CapeCoddess Today at 10:35 am

» Shallots, Prisma
by trolleydriver Today at 9:16 am

» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing in October 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 9:08 am

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by rajmahendra Today at 5:29 am

» Indian Solar Gardening Calendar
by sanderson Today at 3:50 am

» New England October, 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:56 pm

» leggy potatoes plants were started too early in the hous
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:38 pm

» Thin Crust Pizza
by No_Such_Reality 10/19/2016, 11:34 pm

» Our Newest Regional Hosts!
by Scorpio Rising 10/19/2016, 8:10 pm

» Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!
by has55 10/19/2016, 2:15 pm

» November Planting in SoCal, time to keep working it and bragging rights time!
by No_Such_Reality 10/19/2016, 10:27 am

» Winter Hobbies and Crafts
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 7:48 pm

» Cucumber plant visitor
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 7:31 pm

» Hello all
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 7:16 pm

» The Most Annoying Pest In The Yard
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 6:45 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by sanderson 10/18/2016, 4:32 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by yolos 10/18/2016, 11:17 am

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG in India
by rajmahendra 10/18/2016, 7:50 am

» mason bees-for 2015
by has55 10/18/2016, 6:20 am

» The Research Journey:Connecting the dots with Soil & Diverse Cover Crops
by has55 10/18/2016, 12:06 am

Search SFG Forum

Edible City (film link)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Edible City (film link)

Post  jazzycat on 5/23/2013, 8:16 pm

I'm watching this now and I wanted to share it. I put it in the non-sfg forum, but if it's in the wrong place, could an administrator please move it to the correct forum for me? So far it's very good. Here is a link to the website, where you can get information and watch the movie online, for free.

From the filmmakers...

"In the four year journey it’s taken to complete Edible City, we’ve seen the local food movement blossom and thrive, not just in the San Francisco Bay Area, but across the United States. People are waking up to the problems inherent in our broken food system and realizing that the solution is as close as their backyard, community gardens and sometimes even city hall.

It was this do-it-yourself, hands-in-the-dirt spirit that initially attracted us to the food movement that we saw growing in our hometown of Berkeley, California. Young people are quitting their desk jobs to plant urban gardens and work at the farmer’s market. People of all ages are rediscovering a connection with nature in the midst of concrete jungles as dense as Oakland and New York City. There‘s a renewed interest in traditional knowledge that’s being fused with cutting edge techniques and philosophies. The result is a new generation of people who understand that growing food in ways that are integrated with natural systems is imperative for the future of humanity and the planet.

Along with the ecological necessity to find a new food paradigm, there is also a deep social justice issue at play. Healthy, sustainable, affordable food is a rarity in low-income neighborhoods. The exceptions are those neighborhoods that have programs like City Slicker Farms, People’s Grocery and the Oakland Food Connection– organizations that are tirelessly dedicated to making good food accessible to everyone.

The benefits of good food are perhaps most evident in young people and children. Food programs in schools consistently raise student performance and school garden programs provide endless opportunities for experiential education. There’s also a growing awareness of the potential for local food systems to create local jobs, acting as an engine for local economies. Production, processing, distribution and retail jobs all form the network of a local food system, capturing local wealth while bringing benefits of health and community cohesion.

We discovered that engaging with our food system was not only one of the most effective ways of directly changing culture, but also one of the most accessible. The hands-on nature of local food activism means that everyone can start engaging with the food system. Whether it’s by shopping at the farmer’s market, planting a garden, organizing your community, starting a local food business or getting involved in food policy, there are ways that each of us can begin to create positive change right now!

As the inspiring characters in Edible City remind us more than once, “everybody eats.” Food connects all of us. Our own renewed connection to where our food comes from, what it does to our bodies, and how it affects our communities is, we believe, one of the most important steps forward on the path to a sustainable, just, and healthy future."

-Andrew Hasse, Director

-Carl Grether, Producer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Edible City (film link)

Post  RoOsTeR on 5/23/2013, 9:10 pm

Jazzy, just in case you aren't aware, the foundation is also involved in many humanitarian efforts, teaching third world countries and those less fortunate how to grow their own food. They also accept donations. You can visit the foundation and learn lots more via this link:

Humanitarian efforts:

About the foundation:

The Square Foot Gardening Foundation is a non-profit 501(c)(3) entity whose purpose is to end world hunger by reaching out to families and teaching them how to grow healthy food for their daily meals, thus improving their diets and getting the family members interactive with each other. The Foundation teaches the original method of Square Foot Gardening created by our Founder, Mel Bartholomew, which uses less resources and requires very little work, yet produces a crop equal to a single row garden 5x its size.

We also teach educational classes and support local community gardens and NGO projects overseas through our network of certified teachers. We teach classes in schools, donate gardens to many organizations and help promote healthy lifestyles.

Donations to the foundation:

Male Posts : 3851

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat on 5/23/2013, 11:43 pm

Thanks Rooster, I did not know that. I like sharing this kind of information, because I believe it's so important, especially now. Smile I will look at the foundation information and start spreading the word around on that as well.

btw, I just learned the other day that my old high school has a garden program and I contacted the woman in charge of it earlier today. Smile I'm so glad to know this is happening here, in my city.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:43 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum