Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Biochar?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 10:22 pm

» Today's Harvest
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:16 pm

» Spaghetti Squash ?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY - ENDS 10/20/17
by sanderson Yesterday at 8:38 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by yolos Yesterday at 5:16 pm

» Worm bin?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Frames for SFG Beds - Versitile PVC frames for Protection
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:10 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 3:25 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» Coffee Substitute?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:02 pm

» Tomato Questions
by brianj555 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» California's Drought
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 10:04 am

» Hello from a 7b zone
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 10:00 am

» Newbie from Ayrshire, West Coast of Scotland
by plantoid Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Butterfly Junction
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:08 am

» Mels book
by sanderson 10/20/2017, 11:54 pm

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by Scorpio Rising 10/20/2017, 8:16 pm

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by countrynaturals 10/20/2017, 11:34 am

» My Compost Bin
by SQWIB 10/20/2017, 7:36 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 10/20/2017, 3:38 am

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by sanderson 10/20/2017, 3:07 am

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by LizDTM 10/20/2017, 12:21 am

» How to Grow Better Tomatoes
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:59 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:54 pm

» Helpful Beetles
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:45 pm

» Does MM improve with age?
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:41 pm

» to mulch or not to mulch
by sanderson 10/19/2017, 7:36 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by BeetlesPerSqFt 10/19/2017, 7:19 pm

» Garlic Growing Lovers
by SQWIB 10/19/2017, 5:31 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Bug/Pest Identification....Help!

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Bug/Pest Identification....Help!

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 8/31/2016, 3:52 pm

yolos wrote:I watched a lot of videos this summer on the problem of squash bugs.  The best approach for me was to spray the base of the plant with pure water in the late afternoon.  That causes the bugs to move up into the foliage.  Then spray the bugs directly with insecticidal soap.  Then a little later repeat the whole process again until you no longer see anymore bugs.  Then wait a while (or in the morning) wash off the leaves with pure water so the leaves won't be damaged.
Thanks for this tip, Yolos -- does this work for the nymphs, adults, or both? And is it a spray bottle type spritz, or a spray from the hose? The squash bugs I've been finding are usually under a wilted or dried up leaf - or sitting on a stem ready for evasive maneuvers. If there are more hiding, I'd rather find them before they wilt more leaves.

My cucumber beetles also hide in the wilted/dried up leaves, but also inside the squash blossoms. Early in the morning, the squash blossoms have a lovely scent. Every morning, and many afternoons, I've been grabbing the squash flowers, opening them if they've closed, and shaking the cucumber beetles into soapy water. I also pick up the fallen blossoms, and check those too. Occasionally they buzz affraid and I drop them reflexively -- squash bees sometimes sleep in the closed flowers, too.    But I think squash bee season is almost done. I'm seeing fewer and fewer, and there's even room for the bumbles to have a few squash blossoms.
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1239

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 8/31/2016, 6:14 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
yolos wrote:I watched a lot of videos this summer on the problem of squash bugs.  The best approach for me was to spray the base of the plant with pure water in the late afternoon.  That causes the bugs to move up into the foliage.  Then spray the bugs directly with insecticidal soap.  Then a little later repeat the whole process again until you no longer see anymore bugs.  Then wait a while (or in the morning) wash off the leaves with pure water so the leaves won't be damaged.
Thanks for this tip, Yolos -- does this work for the nymphs, adults, or both? And is it a spray bottle type spritz, or a spray from the hose? The squash bugs I've been finding are usually under a wilted or dried up leaf - or sitting on a stem ready for evasive maneuvers. If there are more hiding, I'd rather find them before they wilt more leaves.
Here is a good video.  This guy killed all stages of the squash bugs except the eggs using the soap spray.  Spray bottle spritz.
yolos

Female Posts : 3267

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 9/1/2016, 1:57 am

Yolos, the video??

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14789

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 9/1/2016, 8:47 am

sanderson wrote:Yolos, the video??
Ooops - Squash Bugs Must Die
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7v9VvNzmhE
yolos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 9/1/2016, 12:47 pm

sanderson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 9/1/2016, 3:00 pm

sanderson wrote:Can you also post it here:  http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t19718-oh-poo-those-stinkin-squash-bugs?highlight=squash+bug
Done
yolos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 9/1/2016, 11:43 pm

thanks

sanderson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on 9/17/2017, 4:07 pm

What are these?
Should I worry?
What should I do?

brianj555

Male Posts : 238

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue on 9/17/2017, 5:18 pm

Brian, they look like "assassin bugs," to me.  If so, they're beneficial predators.  Just leave them alone and let them do their thing.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/beneficial/assassin-bugs.htm

If anyone out there has a different ID, please chime in...
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 237

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity on 9/17/2017, 5:55 pm

In California, those would be the leaf-footed bug nymphs.  Look at the rear legs; they are slightly wider in the lower part of the leg.  They suck the juices from leaves, shoots and fruit.  I found them in my cayenne pepper plant.  I removed them by pushing them into container with soupy water.  I have never seen an assassin bug in my garden. 

A few weeks later, I saw five mature leaf-footed bugs again in my cayenne pepper plant.  I brought out the soupy water container again.

Brian, you are in Mississippi, can you do a search to see if leaf-footed bugs are a problem in your area, especially on your cucumber plant?

Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 194

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue on 9/17/2017, 6:15 pm

Roseinarosecity wrote:In California, those would be the leaf-footed bug nymphs.  Look at the rear legs; they are slightly wider in the lower part of the leg.  They suck the juices from leaves, shoots and fruit.  I found them in my cayenne pepper plant.  I removed them by pushing them into container with soupy water.  I have never seen an assassin bug in my garden. 

A few weeks later, I saw five mature leaf-footed bugs again in my cayenne pepper plant.  I brought out the soupy water container again.

Brian, you are in Mississippi, can you do a search to see if leaf-footed bugs are a problem in your area, especially on your cucumber plant?

YIKES!!! Shocked pale  I think Rose is right! Can I delete my previous reply??? No
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 237

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on 9/17/2017, 6:43 pm

Ginger Blue wrote:
Roseinarosecity wrote:In California, those would be the leaf-footed bug nymphs.  Look at the rear legs; they are slightly wider in the lower part of the leg.  They suck the juices from leaves, shoots and fruit.  I found them in my cayenne pepper plant.  I removed them by pushing them into container with soupy water.  I have never seen an assassin bug in my garden. 

YIKES!!! Shocked pale  I think Rose is right! Can I delete my previous reply??? No
I'm wishing Ginger were right the first time.  Sad Is there a way to treat the area without pesticides?  Can I spray the leaves with anything?  Would watered down dawn dish soap help to get rid of them and not damage the plants ??  When I noticed them it was about 2 pm today.  I probably saw 20 or so total all near the same area. I went back out a couple hours later to show a friend and I couldn't find even one.  I guess I could use the soapy water bowl method, but I would much rather treat the whole bed if that's an option.  My fruits are just now starting to set. I have probably 30 juvenile tomatoes on vine now and many many more coming very soon.  I need to find the best possible solution quickly !  I have sevin dust, but I would really rather not use anything like that unless I have no other choice.
brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity on 9/17/2017, 7:49 pm

Soapy water solution works on these bugs because, I quote:

"...according to the Colorado State University Extension, soft-bodied pests including aphids, spider mites and whiteflies die when fully coated with the spray, which should be applied in a solution of 2 percent to 3 percent. The spray disrupts the insects' cell membranes. Researchers theorize that soaps, including ones containing detergents, may remove waxes coating insects and cause them to dry out, according to Clemson University Cooperative Extension."

Spraying with soapy water works if you are getting the bugs.  I think your bugs are gone because a bird might have eaten them.  Your cucumbers are on a trellis and a trellis is very inviting to birds looking for bugs.

I don't think you want to use sevin dust because it also kill beneficials like bees.  And you need those bees for pollinating your cucumber flowers.  When I had the nymphs bugs in my plant, they stayed in the one location for 24 hours, giving me time to identify them.

How many cucumber plants do you have?  Do you have time to inspect it for more nymphs?

Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 194

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on 9/17/2017, 8:24 pm

Roseinarosecity wrote:Soapy water solution works on these bugs because, I quote:

"...according to the Colorado State University Extension, soft-bodied pests including aphids, spider mites and whiteflies die when fully coated with the spray, which should be applied in a solution of 2 percent to 3 percent. The spray disrupts the insects' cell membranes. Researchers theorize that soaps, including ones containing detergents, may remove waxes coating insects and cause them to dry out, according to Clemson University Cooperative Extension."

Spraying with soapy water works if you are getting the bugs.  I think your bugs are gone because a bird might have eaten them.  Your cucumbers are on a trellis and a trellis is very inviting to birds looking for bugs.

I don't think you want to use sevin dust because it also kill beneficials like bees.  And you need those bees for pollinating your cucumber flowers.  When I had the nymphs bugs in my plant, they stayed in the one location for 24 hours, giving me time to identify them.

How many cucumber plants do you have?  Do you have time to inspect it for more nymphs?
I have 4 plants. I just went out again and located a smaller group.  I used the hod approach and were able to catch and squish a few. They are fast though and made every effort to get away. ( I guess I can't blame them for that ) There were probably 10 in an area of about a square foot. I guess I got about five before the others dispursed.  All 4 of the plants are in 2 squares.  They are trained up bamboo stakes.    I saw on you tube that someone was using a combination of peppermint soap and neem oil, spraying them individually. The solution was burning the leaves though.  I'm not sure if that could have been avoided by misting the leaves with water after or not.  I would like to try the soapy water in a spray bottle.  Thanks for the response.  Do you know if the residue will be harmful to the plants like the neem oil and peppermint soap can be?  I would like to get a handle on this before the nymphs multiply and or become adults.  From what I've read, when they become adults they are much more difficult to get rid of and can do much heavier damage to the fruit. They seem to be only after the cucumbers at this point, but I assume the tomatoes will be in trouble soon.  The cucumbers are much less important to me than the tomatoes.  I don't want to use sevin and harm the pollinators , but if I have to to keep the tomatoes safe, I will and try to hand pollinate the cucumbers to the best of my ability.  That would be a last resort though. I had sevin dust on there before and wasn't seeing any pollinators, so I recently got all of it off and the pollinators showed up Yeaterday and more came in today.  I was so excited to see them. Then my high hopes quickly fell to worry when I noticed the nymphs this afternoon. What would you guys do if you were in my situation??
brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 9/17/2017, 8:56 pm

Hey!  Yeah, those are bad guys, but not horrible guys!  I would try soapy applications, doesn't sound like you are inundated with them Brian.  

I have the liquid peppermint (Simple Truth from Krogers) soap and I use an empty Dawn or Joy dish detergent squirty bottle.  I add cayenne, and a dash of Tabasco....i try to go for later application but do what you must!  If you can avoid the flowers, that is best.  

I have not needed to use need oil to date.  
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5365

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on 9/17/2017, 9:22 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Hey!  Yeah, those are bad guys, but not horrible guys!  I would try soapy applications, doesn't sound like you are inundated with them Brian.  

I have the liquid peppermint (Simple Truth from Krogers) soap and I use an empty Dawn or Joy dish detergent squirty bottle.  I add cayenne, and a dash of Tabasco....i try to go for later application but do what you must!  If you can avoid the flowers, that is best.  

Thanks Scorpio ! What are your estimated ratio's of pepp soap, cayenne to water?
brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 9/19/2017, 10:14 am

I have a Dustbuster for those. I empty the catchment into a container of soapy water. They are so fast at running around to the other side of the stem that the Dustbuster is the only way I can catch them all. Often, there will be an adult or two with the nymphs.

Those sure look like the nymphs of the leaf-footed bug/insect. This summer on one of my a cucumbers. I didn't get right back to them so I don't know to where they fled! Shocked

In 2017 on potted squash.

sanderson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on 9/19/2017, 3:21 pm

sanderson wrote:I have a Dustbuster for those.  I empty the catchment into a container of soapy water.  They are so fast at running around to the other side of the stem that the Dustbuster is the only way I can catch them all.  Often, there will be an adult or two with the nymphs.

Those sure look like the nymphs of the leaf-footed bug/insect.  This summer on one of my a cucumbers.  I didn't get right back to them so I don't know to where they fled!  Shocked  

In 2017 on potted squash.
How much damage, if any did or do they do to your plants/fruits Sanderson?  I'm really trying not to use any pesticides. (sevin dust) I'm still trying to determine how much action I need to take vs. the potential or probable damage.   I did go out yesterday and squirt 15 or so of them with soapy cayenne water.  I haven't been out today to see if killing 15 of them made any impact.  I'm also wondering if the soapy water with cayenne will damage the areas of the plant that I squirted.
I feel like I need to take some action fairly quickly though.  Although mine look exactly like the one's in your pictures, they don't seem to be staying clustered together so much.  I'm thinking they might be maturing and from what I've read, they get more and more difficult to get rid of as they age.
brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 9/20/2017, 1:05 am

I wish I could give you a good answer on the amount of damage a few L-F bugs can do. I can tell you that the squash plant (2015, not 2017) died. The cucumber plants are now sick and dead enough to pull out and stuff in the green waste can. I saw a mockingbird swoop in the trellises this week. Was he after one of these bugs? I don't know, but I wish I had vacuumed them when I saw them. Long live the Dustbuster!

sanderson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on 9/20/2017, 8:33 am

sanderson wrote:I wish I could give you a good answer on the amount of damage a few L-F bugs can do.  I can tell you that the squash plant (2015, not 2017) died.  The cucumber plants are now sick and dead enough to pull out and stuff in the green waste can.  I saw a mockingbird swoop in the trellises this week.  Was he after one of these bugs?  I don't know, but I wish I had vacuumed them when I saw them.  Long live the Dustbuster!
Thank you!  They sound like some pretty serious little creatures.  My plan is to continue to squash them and use the soapy water.  I still haven't seen any on the tomato plants YET!  I guess this is all a learning experience, but I am committed to not using pesticide unless I feel they are going to destroy my crops all together.  I would rather use pesticide than watch all of my hard work wither away.  Thanks for your help.
brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 9/20/2017, 7:12 pm

brianj555 wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:Hey!  Yeah, those are bad guys, but not horrible guys!  I would try soapy applications, doesn't sound like you are inundated with them Brian.  

Thanks Scorpio ! What are your estimated ratio's of pepp soap, cayenne to water?
I am sure i am late to this dance, but there are a bunch of recipes on this site!  Or here are some variations, cited in one of yolos's replies!

https://www.todayshomeowner.com/how-to-make-homemade-insecticidal-soap-for-plants/

Good luck!  It's not rocket surgery.....lol!
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5365

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on 9/24/2017, 12:30 pm

Anyone know what these are?

brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 9/24/2017, 1:22 pm

brianj555 wrote:Anyone know what these are?

The first photo is frass, aka bug poop. I suspect you've got a caterpillar nearby or overhead. Start your search by looking for nibbled leaves.
The second photo is an insect that belongs to the stink bug group. The group contains both good guys (predators) and bad guys (use their mouth parts to pierce your plants and suck their juices - and sometimes also inject toxins and transmit plant diseases.)

I think yours is a Dusky Stink Bug - a bad guy. Take a cup of soapy water out to the garden, and try to scare him over the edge of a leaf and he may fall off the edge into the cup. This is easier done in the morning when it is cooler and the bugs haven't had their coffee yet vs. afternoon when the bugs are warmed up to full-power.

Here's a nice site for you to compare several look-alikes so you know what the good guy looks like, too:
http://www.stopbmsb.org/stink-bug-basics/look-alike-insects/
BeetlesPerSqFt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on 9/24/2017, 2:02 pm

Thanks beetles.  I have had some leaf footed nymphs.  I killed a bunch of them, but I'm sure a few lived or maybe that's mama.
Do the caterpillars nibble holes in the middle of the leaves or do they normally munch from the outside in?
brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 9/24/2017, 3:28 pm

brianj555 wrote:Thanks beetles.  I have had some leaf footed nymphs.  I killed a bunch of them, but I'm sure a few lived or maybe that's mama.
Do the caterpillars nibble holes in the middle of the leaves or do they normally munch from the outside in?
Though both are bugs, stink bug and leaf-footed bugs are different - one doesn't grow up into the other. Leaf-footed bugs are about the same color, but are a longer bug - about twice as long, like a stink bug that's been stretch limo'd.

In my experience, older caterpillars that make larger poop like that munch in from the outside. The teeny tiny baby cabbage butterfly caterpillars with leave a series of pinhole nibbles, sometimes not even all the way through the leaf, then a few minor holes in the middle of the leaf if it's a big old leaf, and then they switch to munching from the outside in.
BeetlesPerSqFt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum