Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:53 am

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising Today at 12:35 am

» Winter Reading, Anyone?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:49 pm

» Sprouted Onion Question
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:37 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:11 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:07 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:00 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:58 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 5:49 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by plantoid Yesterday at 5:47 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 5:05 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 4:56 pm

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by llama momma Yesterday at 2:16 pm

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by llama momma Yesterday at 1:59 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by Ginger Blue Yesterday at 1:57 pm

by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:29 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:24 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 12/9/2016, 9:29 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson 12/9/2016, 12:32 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie 12/9/2016, 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson 12/9/2016, 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 12:13 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 7:05 am

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New here but not to gardening

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New here but not to gardening

Post  Kristina on 5/30/2013, 9:39 pm

I have just turned 40 years young and am married to the love of my life we have two children one that has flown the coop and is 19 and the other is 13 and is amazing! Our furry family are 12 year old Sheltie, 8 year old Rat Terrier, and a almost 2 year old Chiwawa that does not know she is only 3 pounds. In our free time we put as many miles on our Harley's as possible. Lately it has been around 800 miles a week. With the wet weather that number has gone down a bit. Not much keeps us off the bike though.

I have been gardening in one form or another since I was a child. Only recently have I been able to learn more about organic gardening and this year I am trying my hand at square foot gardening. This fall we will be moving to a smaller home where I can have about 4 times the garden than I have now and possibly a small orchard. I take great pride in feeding my family through out the year my garden is my alter.

I plan on adding chickens and ducks to our family in the spring after we get settled into our new home (new to us). I try to do as many things as I can as simply as possible. I would even like to embark on making our own butter and cheese!

My standing new year's resolution is to learn how to do something new. This year is working with leather and learning square foot gardening.

Kristina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New here but not to gardening

Post  Triciasgarden on 5/31/2013, 12:55 am

Welcome Kristina! It's so nice to learn so much about you right away. You are so young to have one flying the coop already, lol We have a very great group of people on this forum and they are very helpful and also love to see what others are doing. It sure sounds like you guys are quite busy and out having fun. I think you will enjoy your sfg and in the future your chickens, ducks and fruit trees. Will you also be getting goats for the butter and cheese? You can even use the manure for a compost pile.

Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1628

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer on 5/31/2013, 11:19 am

glad you\'re here Sounds like you need to stick around and teach us all a few things! That's great that your next place will be a smaller house with a bigger yard that you can put to such wonderful use. Hope to see pictures!

gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1413

View user profile http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kristina on 5/31/2013, 12:20 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome.

As far as goats I would love to do that but I think that might be a little much as we have limited space. It would be a large garden and small orchard or goats. Plus my best friend has a goat farm near to her that I can get goats milk from and my Mother in Law has a small dairy near to them. So I have easy enough access that it does not make much sense to have them myself. With a large garden my plate is VERY full with tending it, harvesting and preserving what comes out of it. Between the garden and riding season...we meet ourselves coming and going lol I don't know what I would do if I had to work.

Kristina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef on 6/1/2013, 12:10 am

Welcome to the group. My hubby loves to ride too but we have a 6 and 2 year old so I dont get to go. Congrats on moving a having more space to provide for your family with, Im jealous. Please if able post picture of your progress so the I can live vicaiously through you. I wont get my own home for at least two more year if not longer. Again welcoe and good luck this season.

mschaef

Female Posts : 575

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicola on 6/1/2013, 1:40 am

@Kristina wrote:.... I plan on adding chickens and ducks to our family in the spring after we get settled into our new home (new to us). I try to do as many things as I can as simply as possible. I would even like to embark on making our own butter and cheese!
My standing new year's resolution is to learn how to do something new. This year is working with leather and learning square foot gardening.
welcome Kristina, to the forum!
Glad to hear you plan on chickens (& ducks) next year. I love having chickens, and we compost the shavings &poop, so that helps the gardens, too.
(Do you know about Backyardchickens.com? I think I spend almost as much time on that forum as I do on here!)

Nicola

Female Posts : 210

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden on 6/1/2013, 6:58 pm

Kristina I totally understand not getting goats, especially since you have wonderful options for milk. I wouldn't even be able to handle one goat! I have mostly enjoyed my chickens and so love the fresh eggs!

Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1628

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:03 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum