Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» compost thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 9:23 am

» Home grown duh maters... I lack'em reel gud.. lol
by MrBooker Today at 8:58 am

» The Research Journey:free-The Gardener’s Guide TO PERFECT GARDEN SOIL
by jimmy cee Today at 8:48 am

» parsnips in square foot garden?
by MrBooker Today at 8:47 am

» Newbie composting questions
by jimmy cee Today at 8:17 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016
by Mimi2 Today at 7:56 am

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by MrBooker Today at 6:47 am

» Plantoid' s going into hospital ....
by plantoid Today at 6:22 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Today at 1:47 am

» Hello from San Antonio, Tx.
by sanderson Today at 12:53 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 12:40 am

» 17 Everyday Things You've Been Doing Wrong
by has55 Yesterday at 11:28 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 9:23 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» N&C Midwest: September 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:43 pm

» What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce?
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 11:59 am

» Mid-South: October 2016
by yolos Yesterday at 10:36 am

» In between
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2016, 8:33 pm

» Tomato Mystery Mix
by sanderson 9/28/2016, 11:26 am

» Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara
by trolleydriver 9/28/2016, 11:03 am

» newbeone
by Cajun Cappy 9/28/2016, 8:59 am

» The SFG Journey-Cover crops
by jimmy cee 9/27/2016, 9:45 pm

» Oh no! My hibiscus moscheutos plant has some roots exposed!
by RJARPCGP 9/27/2016, 9:37 pm

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG
by Mimi2 9/27/2016, 8:12 pm

» New England September 2016
by sanderson 9/27/2016, 7:50 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by sanderson 9/27/2016, 2:57 pm

» Compost
by camprn 9/27/2016, 8:13 am

» Hand Pollination ?
by camprn 9/27/2016, 8:11 am

» The Research Journey:SELF-WATERING SALAD GARDEN COURSE
by has55 9/26/2016, 6:58 pm

» Admin back! Classic cars
by AtlantaMarie 9/26/2016, 5:38 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hand Pollinating Your Tomatoes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hand Pollinating Your Tomatoes

Post  gwennifer on 6/12/2013, 12:30 am

Last year my mother shared a tip she'd learned that you should pollinate tomato blossoms between 1pm and 3pm in the afternoon. The first time I remembered to actually try shaking a blossom during this time frame corresponds with the first time I actually could see pollen falling out of the blossom. So I'm a believer.

Here's a link to a blog post that has a photo tutorial and explanation of how and when to hand pollinate your tomatoes using a cheap electric toothbrush: 98% Organic in Alaska Blog.

gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1413

View user profile http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hand Pollinating Your Tomatoes

Post  GWN on 6/12/2013, 1:12 am

I was always told to shake the tomatoes at 1 pm.... seems to make good sense..... (to substitute for the wind)

GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator on 6/12/2013, 11:10 am

A tuning fork, middle C, touched to the stem of the tomato flower is the closest thing to buzz pollination by a bumble bee that there is. If the flower is "ripe" for pollination, you'll see pollen spew out. You won't have to worry about blossom drop on that flower.

Wind accomplishes some pollination, but not near as efficiently as a sonicating (buzz pollinating) bee. 

Keep in mind that pollination is not an on/off switch. You need two grains of pollen on the stigma to fertilize each incipient seed. Too few grains and you get blossom drop. Add a few more grains, and you may get a tomato, but it will be undersized. The pulp of the fruit develops in response to chemical signals given off by the fertilized seeds.

If you can get near 100% of the incipient seeds fertilized, you'll have the biggest and best possible tomato.

Pollinator

Male Posts : 444

View user profile http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 6/12/2013, 11:16 am

WOW pollinator, that is so interesting.
So it is not just a pollinated vs not pollinated.... there are varying degrees...
Would any C note work, like C from a guitar?

GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 6/12/2013, 11:34 am

@GWN wrote:...Would any C note work, like C from a guitar?

I know a lot of us talk to our plants.  Could playing music to them be the next fad in the gardening world?! tongue

Last frost date (50%): April 15     First frost date (50%): Oct 15    
Zone: Irrelevant

boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer on 6/12/2013, 1:19 pm

@GWN wrote:I was always told to shake the tomatoes at 1 pm.... seems to make good sense.....  (to substitute for the wind)
GWN - does the wind only blow at 1 pm?  Because the time frame is what's odd to me.  But like I said, I tried it and it worked.  And the blog I linked to also specified doing so after 1 pm.

gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef on 6/12/2013, 1:44 pm

@gwennifer wrote:GWN - does the wind only blow at 1 pm?  Because the time frame is what's odd to me. 
It likely has something to do w/ temperature & humidity during that timeframe.

bwaynef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 6/12/2013, 5:30 pm

I never knew the 1 pm, it was more something taught to me by clever folks who have been doing this for a long time.

GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 6/12/2013, 6:04 pm

I like the time of day idea as 1 to 3 pm is usually the heat of the day any mist/ moisture  should have dried off unless it is wet weather .

Not sure about leccy tooth brushes , a sonic wand or tuning forks,  a light tap with a pencil on the stem just above the flower around that time of day will see showers of pollen fall & as they are self pollenating the jobs done .

Though if your into cross pollinating trying to get the best of two plants an artists fine squirrel hair small paint brush  or  trimmed up rabbits tails on a pencil sticks is just dandy for transferring pollens use three or four  and be careful you don't cause the plant self-pollinate when doing it .

plantoid

Male Posts : 3599

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator on 6/12/2013, 11:59 pm

@GWN wrote:WOW pollinator, that is so interesting.
So it is not just a pollinated vs not pollinated.... there are varying degrees...
Would any C note work, like C from a guitar?

Could you touch the guitar string to the flower stem?

Pollinator

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator on 6/13/2013, 12:01 am

@GWN wrote:I was always told to shake the tomatoes at 1 pm.... seems to make good sense.....  (to substitute for the wind)

That might be the proper time in Canada - but in the US South, hand pollination needs to be done as soon as the dew is dry. By 1 p.m. it's often in the 90s or 100s and that's too hot.

Pollinator

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator on 6/13/2013, 12:09 am

@plantoid wrote:I like the time of day idea as 1 to 3 pm is usually the heat of the day any mist/ moisture  should have dried off unless it is wet weather .

Not sure about leccy tooth brushes , a sonic wand or tuning forks,  a light tap with a pencil on the stem just above the flower around that time of day will see showers of pollen fall & as they are self pollenating the jobs done .

Though if your into cross pollinating trying to get the best of two plants an artists fine squirrel hair small paint brush  or  trimmed up rabbits tails on a pencil sticks is just dandy for transferring pollens use three or four  and be careful you don't cause the plant self-pollinate when doing it .

As the Jewish Mama said, Plantoid, "Do your ears hear what your mouth just said?"

You are telling that YOU are the pollinator; then you say that the tomatoes are "self pollinating."  Which is it? 

Actually this is a myth. Tomatoes cannot release their own pollen; they need help, so you can hardly say they are self pollinating, though you hear this myth over and over, and most often in the context of why they AREN'T.

Tomatoes are self fertile, and can self pollenize, but that's not the same as self pollination.

Pollenize -to supply pollen for sucessful pollination, e.g. to sire the next generation - done by a plant.

Pollinate - to move pollen from anther to stigma to successfully fertilize the incipient seeds. 

A pollinator is an agent outside the plant, unless the plant is self fertile and physically brings the anther and stigma into contact, such as a peanut blossom. There are very few truly self pollinating plant species, and these are almost all legumes.

Pollinator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 6/13/2013, 12:24 am

@Pollinator wrote:

That might be the proper time in Canada - but in the US South, hand pollination needs to be done as soon as the dew is dry. By 1 p.m. it's often in the 90s or 100s and that's too hot.

Thanks for straightening that out pollinator because I was told to do it in the morning after the dew is dry and I was getting confused with this 1 pm info.

yolos

Female Posts : 2790

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer on 6/13/2013, 11:27 am

@Pollinator wrote:As the Jewish Mama said, Plantoid, "Do your ears hear what your mouth just said?"
Just for the record, Plantoid may not have used the exactly correct terms in his post, but I understood perfectly what he was saying.  It was obvious to me when he was saying the job was then done because tomatoes were self-pollinating, that he was simply referring to the tomato flower having all the right parts within itself (as in, you don't have to collect that pollen you just shook loose and take it elsewhere).  

BTW, the famous "Tomato Lady" in Las Vegas, Nevada is the one who taught my mom the 1pm thing.  Interesting.  So with the whole "tomatoes won't set fruit in temps above 90 degrees" thing, it's just the temp at the actual moment of pollination that matters?  That's good to know!

gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat on 6/13/2013, 5:26 pm

@gwennifer wrote:
...BTW, the famous "Tomato Lady" in Las Vegas, Nevada is the one who taught my mom the 1pm thing.  Interesting.  So with the whole "tomatoes won't set fruit in temps above 90 degrees" thing, it's just the temp at the actual moment of pollination that matters?  That's good to know!
hmmmm...  That got me thinking.  Is the *actual* temperature that matters, or what the temperature FEELS like.  IOW, yesterday the temperature here was 100 degrees, but according to the weather report, it felt like 131 degrees...  Can plants tell actual temperature from what the air feels like?  thinking

jazzycat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl on 6/13/2013, 6:05 pm

@jazzycat wrote:
@gwennifer wrote:
...BTW, the famous "Tomato Lady" in Las Vegas, Nevada is the one who taught my mom the 1pm thing.  Interesting.  So with the whole "tomatoes won't set fruit in temps above 90 degrees" thing, it's just the temp at the actual moment of pollination that matters?  That's good to know!

hmmmm...  That got me thinking.  Is the *actual* temperature that matters, or what the temperature FEELS like.  IOW, yesterday the temperature here was 100 degrees, but according to the weather report, it felt like 131 degrees...  Can plants tell actual temperature from what the air feels like?  thinking

Heat index is like wind chill - it is a measure of how temperature 'feels' to human skin.  Below is a quote from U of Missouri info and the link to the complete article.

http://ipm.missouri.edu/IPCM/2012/7/None-Like-It-Hot/

"It is important to remember that plants react to temperature differently than humans. Humans must evaporate water to dissipate heat. High humidity reduces evaporation and greatly affects the way a particular temperature feels. Thus, weather stations report heat indices that are an attempt to estimate how air temperature “feels” to humans. High humidity translates into heat indices that are often five or more degrees above air temperature. Heat indices have little relationship to the direct effects of temperature on plants."

GG

GG   geek 

COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3399

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 6/14/2013, 10:18 am

Rolling Eyes   Oooh you are so pedantic ...... but I like YOU love the idea 
 I do now understand the difference twixt US English and being a native English speaker indeed .Laughing

Yes your right and so am I happy bananaboogie woogiepraise

@Pollinator wrote:
@plantoid wrote:I like the time of day idea as 1 to 3 pm is usually the heat of the day any mist/ moisture  should have dried off unless it is wet weather .

As the Jewish Mama said, Plantoid, "Do your ears hear what your mouth just said?"

You are telling that YOU are the pollinator; then you say that the tomatoes are "self pollinating."  Which is it? 

Actually this is a myth. Tomatoes cannot release their own pollen; they need help, so you can hardly say they are self pollinating, though you hear this myth over and over, and most often in the context of why they AREN'T.

Tomatoes are self fertile, and can self pollenize, but that's not the same as self pollination.

Pollenize -to supply pollen for sucessful pollination, e.g. to sire the next generation - done by a plant.

Pollinate - to move pollen from anther to stigma to successfully fertilize the incipient seeds. 

A pollinator is an agent outside the plant, unless the plant is self fertile and physically brings the anther and stigma into contact, such as a peanut blossom. There are very few truly self pollinating plant species, and these are almost all legumes.

plantoid

Male Posts : 3599

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat on 6/14/2013, 3:33 pm

So my tomatoes are starting to recover.  I have a few flowers that in full bloom and I put an old toothbrush head on my sonic toothbrush and touched the bottom side to the stem.  It was SO AWESOME watching the pollen blast out!  Very Happy  That never happened when I was using my fingers to "buzz" the flowers.  Maybe that's why some of the tomatoes are a little underdeveloped.

There were a couple of flowers where it didn't work. Is it possible they were already pollinated, or not quite ready?  I will try them again tomorrow just to be sure.  Anyway.  THANKS for this tip!  What fun!  What a Face

jazzycat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:26 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum