Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in December 2017
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:31 pm

» Julia Child's French Onion Soup
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 8:37 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:18 pm

» jalapeno variety question?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:58 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:56 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» Indoor Container Garden - City Living
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» who has chickens
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:49 pm

» Air Fryer! HELP!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:05 pm

» Spring Fever Anyone?
by plantoid Yesterday at 10:59 am

» has55's R & D Journey
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 8:00 am

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals 12/16/2017, 10:26 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Roseinarosecity 12/16/2017, 10:03 pm

» Sweet Potatoes
by No_Such_Reality 12/16/2017, 5:36 pm

» Areogardening
by trolleydriver 12/16/2017, 1:45 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by countrynaturals 12/16/2017, 11:55 am

» What's Up? Yukon gold potatoes!
by saganco 12/16/2017, 11:11 am

» N&C MW; Deep Winter December/January 2017-2018
by Scorpio Rising 12/15/2017, 7:57 pm

» Garden Clean-Up/Preparation
by Scorpio Rising 12/15/2017, 7:53 pm

» CarbSmart (tm) Potatoes
by sanderson 12/15/2017, 1:41 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by Kelejan 12/15/2017, 7:51 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 12/14/2017, 10:42 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 12/14/2017, 11:01 am

» New England December 2017
by AtlantaMarie 12/14/2017, 6:32 am

» Sauerkraut & fermenting veggies
by brianj555 12/13/2017, 5:28 pm

» Tomato Questions
by sanderson 12/13/2017, 3:04 pm

» Mid-South: December 2017
by AtlantaMarie 12/13/2017, 8:24 am

» New Composter - Need Help Filling Correctly
by saganco 12/12/2017, 9:10 pm

» December Avatar: 'Tis The Season!
by sanderson 12/12/2017, 2:29 pm

» The Research Journey:cardboard covering of newly planted seeds
by saganco 12/12/2017, 1:15 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Squash fruit is browning before maturity!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Squash fruit is browning before maturity!

Post  lalawson on 6/20/2013, 9:44 am

I just pulled these from my garden. These were laying on the ground so I'm hoping this just has something to do with it laying in the soil. I do have a few others that are not turning brown yet that are up a little but they look sort of funny at the end of the flower. Not really sure how squash grows but could this be a mineral dificiency? I already checked it for a vine borer and I don't think I have one of those. This yellow leaf is from the bottom of the plant but the part of the plant looks okay and green.

lalawson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Squash fruit is browning before maturity!

Post  southern gardener on 6/20/2013, 10:57 am

It looks like they didn't get pollinated, so they died. do you see bees in your garden?
southern gardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef on 6/20/2013, 11:49 am

I agree with GG that they don't look like they got pollinated. You can hand pollinate them if you don't see bees or other pollinators doing it.
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator on 6/20/2013, 3:12 pm

The squash leaf dying is normal for the outer leaves, as the season progresses.

The other is a pollination problem. Remember pollination is a progressive thing, not an on/off switch. It depends on the number of pollen grains that are delivered to the female flower.

If you don't see 2-4 bees in each blossom at any one time, you are lacking in bees, and need to work on improving bee populations in your area.

Meanwhile, you can hand pollinate. Here's more:

http://gardensouth.org/2011/06/15/evaluating-squash-pollination/
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

View user profile http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny on 6/20/2013, 11:20 pm

Good link Dave, it explained some of my own questions and troubles with my butternut that are drying up in this weather. Managed to save some of the plants by air layering the runners. Have got new growth on the ends of the vines where they were just drying up before. The heat just dedicated the leaves starting at the leaf edge and working its way to the stems. If I can get enough fruit for seed I will have these adapted to my area in a couple of years. The seed that I planted came from a store bought and who knows where that came from. Have a happy.
Gunny

Male Posts : 158

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny on 8/2/2013, 10:58 am

I have butternut squash planted.  The fruit are about 6 - 8 inches long.  Some are starting to turn to the normal color.  Yesterday I noticed that on some of them there appears to be blossom end rot.  Now, my question is this, if they had progressed to this size and had already changed color, etc.  why would this be happening?  I have never had this happen before.  I've grown this variety for years.
greatgranny

Female Posts : 652

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  grownsunshine on 8/2/2013, 12:00 pm

I believe you can self pollinate the squash yourself, at least that's what I've been doing with zucchini after reading about this on the forum somewhere. When both the male and female flower open, you can take a Qtip or some long object or even take the male flower and directly rub the pollen inside the female flower. I don't know about others, but it took my zucchini plants a couple attempts before I started having success. My first few zukes died. Now every zuke so far has been growing to maturity. I'm not sure if the plant needs to be mature enough to start growing fruit. That was my experience. It sounds like your on the right track and I'm sure you'll have success soon.

grownsunshine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator on 8/2/2013, 1:00 pm

@grownsunshine wrote:I believe you can self pollinate the squash yourself, at least that's what I've been doing with zucchini after reading about this on the forum somewhere. When both the male and female flower open, you can take a Qtip or some long object or even take the male flower and directly rub the pollen inside the female flower. I don't know about others, but it took my zucchini plants a couple attempts before I started having success. My first few zukes died. Now every zuke so far has been growing to maturity. I'm not sure if the plant needs to be mature enough to start growing fruit. That was my experience. It sounds like your on the right track and I'm sure you'll have success soon.

The plant is not doing it, so it's not self pollination. YOU are the pollinator - and we usually refer to this as hand pollination.

Otherwise you are on the right track in your procedures. Congratulations.

Now we need to start increasing our bee populations.
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

View user profile http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  grownsunshine on 8/2/2013, 2:39 pm

I'm thinking of growing Borage, Sunflower and a couple of other flowers. I see FamilyGardening is growing some up in Washington and apparently it's pretty easy to grow and it blossoms early so bees should start being available early spring. http://ucanr.edu/sites/scmg/Plant_of_the_Month/March_2007-Borage/

...not to get off subject....I'm just saying for those of us who may need a few more bees in our garden to help pollinate our squash, etc.

grownsunshine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny on 8/2/2013, 4:15 pm

@grownsunshine wrote:I believe you can self pollinate the squash yourself, at least that's what I've been doing with zucchini after reading about this on the forum somewhere. When both the male and female flower open, you can take a Qtip or some long object or even take the male flower and directly rub the pollen inside the female flower. I don't know about others, but it took my zucchini plants a couple attempts before I started having success. My first few zukes died. Now every zuke so far has been growing to maturity. I'm not sure if the plant needs to be mature enough to start growing fruit. That was my experience. It sounds like your on the right track and I'm sure you'll have success soon.

Okay, I understand about this part. Yes, I have had in the past the small ones that eventually die off. Never have I had any this size up and start dying. Would they grow this big and still not be pollinated?
greatgranny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 8/2/2013, 10:05 pm

@greatgranny wrote:
Okay, I understand about this part.  Yes, I have had in the past the small ones that eventually die off.  Never have I had any this size up and start dying.  Would they grow this big and still not be pollinated?
Poor pollination due to lack of pollinators in the flowers... If the insect pollinators aren't doing it and you're not pollinating, the fruit dies and the plant tries again

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny on 8/2/2013, 10:36 pm

@camprn wrote:
@greatgranny wrote:
Okay, I understand about this part.  Yes, I have had in the past the small ones that eventually die off.  Never have I had any this size up and start dying.  Would they grow this big and still not be pollinated?
Poor pollination due to lack of pollinators in the flowers... If the insect pollinators aren't doing it and you're not pollinating, the fruit dies and the plant tries again

I still don't feel that my question has been answered.  Yes, the small ones that die, I get that part.  But, would a squash blossom that is not pollinated grow to the size that mine have done?  

Okay, anyway, I decided to make "lemonade" from the two that were on the vine and starting to deteriorate.  I cut of the bad part and then washed and sliced them thinly and sauteed them in olive oil and a small pat of butter.  Salt and peppered them and ate the whole thing.  What a treat.
greatgranny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 8/2/2013, 10:50 pm

Do you have blossom end rot on any of your other vegetables?
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/yellow-squash-rot-vine-54783.html

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

camprn

Female Posts : 14165

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny on 8/2/2013, 11:06 pm

@camprn wrote:Do you have blossom end rot on any of your other vegetables?
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/yellow-squash-rot-vine-54783.html

I checked the tomatoes - none.  My cucumbers, melons, eggplant and peppers are doing great.  

I went out after I pruned some of the many huge leaves like someone suggested and then I dissolved some calcium/mag tablets and then added some powdered milk to the container and gave the area a good drink.  Tomorrow I will check the blossoms that are currently on and see if I can pollinate some too.  I have lots of bees but maybe they just couldn't find the blossoms.  The plants were very bushy before I pruned.  

Something I noticed today.  The ones that are still on and not yet showing signs of rot have a large end like the mature ones will have when they are fully developed.  The ones that I cut off to eat didn't have that.  

Well, I like the fact that someone mentioned in a post here that when this happens just think of them as summer squash.  It was delicious.
greatgranny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny on 8/3/2013, 1:05 pm

Imagine that. Pruning is working. The bees are having a party on the squash. I wondered why there were none on the bee balm this morning so I walked over to the squash and they were there. Next time I'll know better than to allow the squash plant to get like a jungle. (bush type)
greatgranny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  grownsunshine on 8/3/2013, 2:52 pm

I'm happy for you that you are having some success with your squash. You must feel relief. That was a lesson for us all. Keep us updated.

grownsunshine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny on 8/6/2013, 5:28 pm

Well, the squash finally has some that are hanging on.  

greatgranny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 8/6/2013, 6:03 pm

@greatgranny wrote:...I still don't feel that my question has been answered.  Yes, the small ones that die, I get that part.  But, would a squash blossom that is not pollinated grow to the size that mine have done?...

Greatgranny, I had a similar experience this year with summer yellow squash. The earliest squashes grew to about 8 inches, but were an abnormal dark yellow. Some of them were Siamese twins attached to each other lengthwise. Really weird looking! I started getting normal squash about a month later.

The first dark yellow squashes quit growing and have just sat there not changing. I cut them off yesterday, and found that they were hollow on the inside. I did notice a shortage of bees early in the year, and have decided that the problem was poor pollination-enough pollination to get them going, but not enough to finish the job.
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 8/6/2013, 7:53 pm

Boffer,  I was thinking the same thing. thinking 

During one of my early Googles, I read an article about hand pollinating.  There were photos of fully pollinated veggies (the squash is the one I remembered) and those that were partially pollinated just enough to grow for a while or even to harvest. They were irregularly shaped and when cut open, the seed development was good at one end and weak or non-existant at the other end.
sanderson

Female Posts : 15086

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 8/7/2013, 1:03 am

I had a zucchini like that about a month ago. Stem side was big as a pickle and a healthy dark green, but the other end suddenly tapered down into being pencil thin and was a bright yellow. Finally looked like it was starting to whither, so I plucked it. The end that turned yellow and shrank had looked perfectly normal for a while. Perhaps it just stayed its same size after a certain point, while the properly-pollinated stem end grew up wider right beside it.
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum