Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 6:25 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:32 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:15 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:06 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:01 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 9:08 am

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:09 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 1:28 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Canning and Preserving 2013: Whatcha Got Planned?

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Canning and Preserving 2013: Whatcha Got Planned?

Post  plantoid on 10/15/2013, 8:09 am

@CapeCoddess wrote:Wow! 

What made you decided to go with Kilner jars instead of Bell or some such?

CC
They are the only type of jar that we can buy in the UK at reasonable prices.

IE  a new 1 pint Kilner clip top jar £2.25 in a shop  to £6.50  + shipping on line
     a new mason Jar has to be imported from USA  £6 - 8 + £ 23  - £ 31 carriage per jar
Times the £ prices by 1.61 to get it in dollars at todays rates .

Weck jars ( what I will eventually get ) forget buying on line far too expensive as well as extortionate shipping  .

Though all is not lost , my bro has businesses , a home and property in Germany as well as the same here in the UK .

I'm seeing him this weekend at an annual  family get together

Hopefully he'll bring me several boxes of different size jars lids and seals when he next goes there .

plantoid

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 10/15/2013, 8:20 am

@ Turan ,

Using a frosted glass table mat or some frosted plate glass on the frosted side makes it easier to see any gaps as there are no reflections to confuse you.
 Don't forget to check the trueness of the sealing face of the lid using something that you have also checked out on the glass.

As the sealed jars become empty and are washed I'll be using a set of engineers feeler blades to judge the trueness and setting aside for further investigation.
Any that give say 30 or 40  thousandths of an inch difference in trueness will be set aside for testing
 I'll then hot water bath those suspect jars using new seals when they are filled with boiling water and see which fail or pass muster.

All I can say is that Kilner which is part of the  RAYWARE group of glass product makers  don't seem to have very good quality control in their UK  factory or they are using cheap imports that have bad QC and are not batch checking things out when they receive them ..

plantoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 10/20/2013, 4:45 pm

Canned several 1/2 pints of cherry marmalade yesterday and still have tomatoes to deal with.  Toms this evening will become several quarts of tomato juice.  This beginner canner is up to nearly 40 jars of canned goodies plus a freezer that's full.  Not sure but I may be turning into a food hoarder?  For a newbie anyway it feels like it.  Smile

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4634

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 10/20/2013, 5:26 pm

@plantoid wrote:@ Turan ,

Using a frosted glass table mat or some frosted plate glass on the frosted side makes it easier to see any gaps as there are no reflections to confuse you.
 Don't forget to check the trueness of the sealing face of the lid using something that you have also checked out on the glass.
Thanks for the tip.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast

Turan

Female Posts : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 10/20/2013, 5:27 pm

@llama momma wrote: Not sure but I may be turning into a food hoarder?  For a newbie anyway it feels like it.  Smile
Welcome to the ranks Laughing 
Some how as Fall marches into Winter it satisfies the squirrel in me to have my piles of acorns set aside Razz 

Turan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 10/20/2013, 6:36 pm

@Turan wrote:
@llama momma wrote: Not sure but I may be turning into a food hoarder?  For a newbie anyway it feels like it.  Smile
Welcome to the ranks Laughing 
Some how as Fall marches into Winter it satisfies the squirrel in me to have my piles of acorns set aside Razz 
++1 What a Face 

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 10/21/2013, 6:01 am

It was mentioned on another post how gardening, cooking, preserving are intertwined.  I guess learning the new skill of canning has simply awakened an ancient rhythm to life that has gone before me.  Oh, and it sounds much better than food hoarding too!  Very Happy

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  meatburner on 10/21/2013, 9:33 pm

Have ham and beans in the canner as we speak.  Weight goes on in about one minute.  Woohoo!

meatburner

Male Posts : 311

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 10/22/2013, 7:25 am

@llama momma wrote:It was mentioned on another post how gardening, cooking, preserving are intertwined.  I guess learning the new skill of canning has simply awakened an ancient rhythm to life that has gone before me.  Oh, and it sounds much better than food hoarding too!  Very Happy
LM the last line had me laughing with tears in my eyes .

Alison asked " Why the mirth"  ?  
I  said  " read this last line {Oh , it sounds much better than food hoarding fool } it's kind of very funny to me "

She reads it & then told me it was " food hoarding too ! " then started laughing like me .

Ah well  .....dsylexia rulz

Last edited by plantoid on 10/22/2013, 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total

plantoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 10/22/2013, 7:27 am

@meatburner wrote:Have ham and beans in the canner as we speak.  Weight goes on in about one minute.  Woohoo!
What sort of beans , are they in a sauce like baked beans in tomato sauce ??

A picture of the canned item will speak a thousand words  .

plantoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  meatburner on 10/22/2013, 9:51 am

Just some simple pinto beans and some were navy  beans with cubed ham and onions.
We usually keep the canning simple and add flavors later which seems to be more versatile at meal time. 

meatburner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo on 10/22/2013, 10:06 am

@meatburner wrote:Just some simple pinto beans and some were navy  beans with cubed ham and onions.
We usually keep the canning simple and add flavors later which seems to be more versatile at meal time. 

Meatburner
You are making me hungry!
Could you give us your canning recipe for the beans? I've tried and usually end up with pretty dry beans in jars after canning, but it makes it simpler at meal time.
Jo

littlejo

Female Posts : 1528

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  meatburner on 10/22/2013, 11:16 am

Sure Jo.  I clean the dry beans and wash them.  About a cup per quart.  Bring a big pan up to boil and boil the beans for 2 minutes and then set aside for one hour.  I do stir occasionally.  Rinse the beans real well and add plenty of clean water and boil for 30 minutes.  Sterilize the jars. I fill the jars about 3/4 with hot beans, throw in some cubed hot cooked ham, some diced onions, cooking water, and maybe a little salt leaving 1 inch headspace.  Process them for 90 minutes at 11 lbs.  Let the canner come down on it's own and wait 2 minutes after the pressure indicator drops.  Remove the lid and let rest for 10 minutes and your done.  Cool for 24 hours, remove the rings, clean the jars, label and store.  Pretty simple recipe, dump, add spices if want to, cook for 10 minutes and you are ready to serve.   That is pretty much out of the NCHFP site.

meatburner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 10/22/2013, 5:15 pm

Thanks Meatburner .. that picture speaks volumes and volumes .

plantoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo on 10/22/2013, 5:56 pm

Thanks so much Meatburner!
I tried soaking overnight, then doing pretty much what you do, and they were mushey and dry in the jar. I will try your quick soaking and maybe it will work for me.
I just love pinto beans with ham, and limas too. Do you have a good way to can fresh limas?
Jo

littlejo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 10/24/2013, 7:24 am

@plantoid wrote:
@llama momma wrote:It was mentioned on another post how gardening, cooking, preserving are intertwined.  I guess learning the new skill of canning has simply awakened an ancient rhythm to life that has gone before me.  Oh, and it sounds much better than food hoarding too!  Very Happy
LM the last line had me laughing with tears in my eyes .

Alison asked " Why the mirth"  ?  
I  said  " read this last line {Oh , it sounds much better than food hoarding fool } it's kind of very funny to me "

She reads it & then told me it was " food hoarding too ! " then started laughing like me .

Ah well  .....dsylexia rulz

Laughing  Plantoid, 
Glad to give you and Alison a good laugh! You made it even funnier,  I like your food hoarding fool description much better! 
lol!

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo on 10/24/2013, 9:02 am

I'm here looking for a shoulder to cry on. Major canning mishap this morning. I decided to can my first attempt at sauerkraut to free up the crock to make another batch. Raw pack seemed the route to go. I'd never done a raw pack before. I filled up 8 hot jars with the kraut and it took me a bit of time wrangling the stuff into the jars. I put the jars into the water bath canner and I hear SNAP, SNAP. 2 jars broke!!! Foul language ensued as I fished what I could out of the boiling water. This is the first time I've lost any jars and it is so sad after waiting a month for the sauerkraut to ferment. Thermal shock is my guess, the jars got too cool as I filled them. I guess maybe hot pack is the route to go but I really had hoped that by not heating up the kraut first it would keep some of its crunch. The other six jars seem ok and are almost done processing. Off to clean up my mess. Thanks for the sympathetic shoulder.

lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 10/24/2013, 9:53 am

I have done this before..... I don't like that terrible sinking feeling. very sad Lesson learned.

I agree, hot pack is the way to go.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  meatburner on 10/24/2013, 11:23 am

littlejo, I haven't done fresh limas but the Ball Blue Book has instructions for raw pack and hot pack for them.  I bet they would be good canned so all you had to do was warm them up.

meatburner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 10/24/2013, 11:39 am

Thanks for sharing that, Lyndee.  Kraut is on my canning list and I want it crunchy, too.  Did you water bath can? 

I'm wondering if cold pack would work without cracking in a pressure canner.  I heat of the water in the bottom of the pot and leave the jars in there until I go to fill one, then I replace it right away.  Could work if I leave them sit for a bit before starting the pressure.  I'll report back once I try it.

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 10/24/2013, 11:47 am

I wonder if part of the problem is the slow heat transfer you get through saurkraut versus sauces. In any case, you are not lessening the amount of cooking to the kraut by cold packing, if you were it would not be processed long enough, you are just doing the heating in the jar versus in a seperate pot.
I thought crunchy in saurkraut was from using alum or grape leaves.

Turan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo on 10/24/2013, 12:20 pm

@lyndeeloo wrote:I'm here looking for a shoulder to cry on. Major canning mishap this morning. I decided to can my first attempt at sauerkraut to free up the crock to make another batch. Raw pack seemed the route to go. I'd never done a raw pack before. I filled up 8 hot jars with the kraut and it took me a bit of time wrangling the stuff into the jars. I put the jars into the water bath canner and I hear SNAP, SNAP. 2 jars broke!!! Foul language ensued as I fished what I could out of the boiling water. This is the first time I've lost any jars and it is so sad after waiting a month for the sauerkraut to ferment. Thermal shock is my guess, the jars got too cool as I filled them. I guess maybe hot pack is the route to go but I really had hoped that by not heating up the kraut first it would keep some of its crunch. The other six jars seem ok and are almost done processing. Off to clean up my mess. Thanks for the sympathetic shoulder.
I've done both hot pack and cold pack and both have worked fine. Most breakage is caused by the glass itself, not by the pack. If the rings are put on way to tight so that the canning cannot do it's job, a jar might break too.
Here is a couple pic of my near miss yesterday, canning applesauce. See the defect in the jar. I did not see til after canning was finished!

Last edited by littlejo on 10/24/2013, 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

littlejo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino on 10/24/2013, 11:33 pm

Guess I'm missing something here, why can sauerkraut?  If it's naturally fermented and filled with valuable probiotic organisms, won't canning the kraut kill all the good stuff off?  When we make kraut, we do it in amounts easily eaten within a two-month period, and have a second batch fermenting so it will be ready to go when the first crock is emptied, and so forth.  Right now, a 1-1/2 quart jar of kraut is finishing its ferment period in the wine cellar, and the crock in the refrigerator is almost empty.  Because kraut is usually ready to eat at 10 to 14 days, and at its best after almost four weeks, it's easy to keep a supply made and waiting in the wings.  We find the probiotic, and vitamin C benefits important, so prefer to eat the crunchy kraut as part of a salad, cold on hot sausage sandwiches, and fished out of the jar for a quick snack like pickles, and not cooked.  BTW, we're experimenting with making Korean kimchee as well, which is definitely eaten cold.   Nonna

Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 10/25/2013, 12:31 am

Koreans I've known suggested not making kim chee in the house, or in a fridge you'll share with anything else. I wish you luck (I love kim chee), but it sounds scary!

Marc Iverson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino on 10/25/2013, 11:25 am

Hmmm, Marc, maybe that's why one source I read said Koreans bury it while it ferments!  Actually, we don't find much more odor than regular German sauerkraut, just an overtone of garlic.  The recipe we're using calls for less hot peppers and the addition of shredded Asian pears.  Jury is still out 'cause it's not ready yet.  In meantime, we have plenty of 'kraut--even have a plastic 2-quart crock of it in the Airstream's refrigerator as we mosey down to Sonoma for the annual Wine and Food Festival.  Nonna and PapaVino

Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:11 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum