Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 12:49 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 11:49 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 11:48 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by CapeCoddess Today at 11:37 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by landarch Today at 9:29 am

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by sfg4uKim Today at 9:26 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by llama momma Today at 5:10 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by yolos Today at 12:13 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:52 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 3:27 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:04 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 12/5/2016, 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Canning and Preserving 2013: Whatcha Got Planned?

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Canning and Preserving 2013: Whatcha Got Planned?

Post  Marc Iverson on 10/25/2013, 4:37 pm

Pears? Wow. Well, there are supposed to be many, many types of kim chee. Guess I didn't see that particular one coming! I'm used to the garlicky stuff. A Korean guy told me that the fermenting garlic can be so strong that it permeates the insulation of the fridge, and then it's pretty much impossible to get rid of the smell or keep it from affecting other foods. Which is fine if you have a fridge dedicated to kim chee, which he told me his mother had. Others have told me out back in the dirt is the only safe place. I really wanted to get into making kim chee once, but after all the warnings, I no longer had the courage.

Be brave, Nonna! You can be our kim chee hero!

Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 10/25/2013, 6:25 pm

Wahoooooo !

Kilner sent me an email in response to me sending them macro pictures of the lids and rims of what I said were  faulty jars . Their R&D & QC guys took great interest in them and as a result they are going to send me replacements and replacement seals .. this should be interesting .

They have said dispose of all the faulty jars as I see fit .

It  looks like Alison is getting some fancy dry goods storage jars once I've ground a faulty jar mark on all of them .

plantoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 10/25/2013, 6:42 pm

@Nonna.PapaVino wrote:Guess I'm missing something here, why can sauerkraut?  If it's naturally fermented and filled with valuable probiotic organisms, won't canning the kraut kill all the good stuff off?  When we make kraut, we do it in amounts easily eaten within a two-month period, and have a second batch fermenting so it will be ready to go when the first crock is emptied, and so forth.  Right now, a 1-1/2 quart jar of kraut is finishing its ferment period in the wine cellar, and the crock in the refrigerator is almost empty.  Because kraut is usually ready to eat at 10 to 14 days, and at its best after almost four weeks, it's easy to keep a supply made and waiting in the wings.  We find the probiotic, and vitamin C benefits important, so prefer to eat the crunchy kraut as part of a salad, cold on hot sausage sandwiches, and fished out of the jar for a quick snack like pickles, and not cooked.  BTW, we're experimenting with making Korean kimchee as well, which is definitely eaten cold.   Nonna
On one of our two month long European continental drive and tenting holidays 30 yrs. or so  back we purchased several stand by cans of cassoule and  some of sauerkraut in case we got caught up in the ensuing war scene on the rhs. of Europe.

One day just before the end of the hols as we were heading  back to the UK via Catours ( SP ?) in mid France we got held up big time in miles of traffic as we headed for the local free council campsite for which we had got tickets for , all the food shops were closed when arrived at the campsite on a river bank  .

We only had a few hundred  francs left for luxury food and that was for a final nosh up meal much nearer to the port of Calais in a day or so's time . Therefore a visit to a late night open restaurant was out the question

So we had the emergency rations consisting of a decent bottle of strong mature red wine & canned cassoule and sauerkraut , heated them up in a big pan on my little petrol Whisperlite camping stove .

Ye gods I threw up within seconds of eating it , so did Alison the SK was evil . I checked the SK & cassoule cans to see they were rusty inside or showing evidence of being blown etc  but they were OK .

I then opened up  another two big  cassoule cans & , cooked it ..it was a bit salty   but  it went down really well with the wine  plus the next bottle of red & a nightcap of some five star French brandy . .

Verdict

Hot  French canned SK is the pits ..I can still taste it. Bleck ! affraid 

Question.
Are you supposed to eat canned sauerkraut cold out the can or are you supposed cook it?

plantoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 10/25/2013, 7:52 pm

As a naturalized American originally from Germany, I can tell you that Germans often eat sauerkraut warm. On sandwiches, as a side dish for sausages, boiled with potatoes, and probably a hundred other things that sound a little less attractive (sometimes Germans make odd food choices).

Of course, they eat it cold, too. They just eat it.

Also they like warm pickled red cabbage, shredded the same way as sauerkraut, often sweetened or sweet/sour. Surprisingly decent side dish for cold-season meal.

Re the lousy French sauerkraut, it was probably intentional anti-German propaganda. Hey you guys, the war is over!

Marc Iverson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo on 10/25/2013, 8:07 pm

We enjoy sauerkraut roasted in the oven with a pork loin. Since it would be cooked anyways I thought canning it would keep it longer for that use. While we really enjoyed it right out of the crock, I wanted other options for storing it. I only have one crock and wanted to free it up to start another batch of kraut. I see now the other jars I canned had issues as well, it looks like some of the brine boiled out of the jars. They are all in the fridge and we will be eating them soon. I picked up more cabbage and will be starting a new batch of sauerkraut tomorrow. Would still like to can some to share as gifts but would like to hear how others have had success. I can't bear to lose another batch of kraut to another canning mishap! I may have packed the jars to tightly and I'm sure they went into the water bath too cool and that's why two jars broke. Better luck next time I hope!

Thanks for the pictures littlejo. I'll be checking my jars more carefully.

lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 10/26/2013, 1:56 am

Marc, I grew up eating sauerkraut.  Pork chops cooked in sauerkraut, fried green or red cabbage with bacon.  Never eaten it cold though.  My folks had a German restaurant when I was preschool age.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12272

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino on 10/26/2013, 10:42 am

Read the label on your commercial canned sauerkraut.  I'll bet it was made sour with vinegar instead of natural fermentation, so there is no natural probiotics to be killed by cooking.  Also, while you have the can of commercial stuff open, taste it against your home-fermented kraut.  See if there's much difference (bet there is).  On another note, a couple of weeks ago in a conversation with a lovely 93-year-old lady, she was impressed that "youngsters" were again making their own sauerkraut.  Then she went to on to tell how her family made it when she was a child.  They put up an entire barrel full of 'kraut for the winter!  She went on to say her dad always put a layer of small apples in the kraut, about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom, then as the family ate the kraut from the top, the kids almost couldn't wait until they got to the layer of apples.  She said they were the tastiest things about the sauerkraut barrel!  Anyone out there put fruit in with their sauerkraut?  (we're using a Korean recipe for Napa cabbage kimchee which uses some shredded Asian pear in the mix).  Nonna

Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 10/26/2013, 5:21 pm

I think you hit the nail fair and square on the head with the canned SK in vinegar comment Nonna.

It was a very vinegary sulphurous taste .

plantoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 10/27/2013, 12:57 am

@sanderson wrote:Marc, I grew up eating sauerkraut.  Pork chops cooked in sauerkraut, fried green or red cabbage with bacon.  Never eaten it cold though.  My folks had a German restaurant when I was preschool age.
German restaurants are not something you see a lot of in America.

We had porkchops cooked in sauerkraut sometimes, but more because my mom wanted to make them than because anyone liked eating them. We never had fried cabbage. We did have lots of spaetzle and, when we visited relatives and they wanted to put on the dog, lots of deserts and dishes with baked plums. Sometimes surrounded by wet dough. Wow, was that unappealing. The oldsters thought it was delicious.

Marc Iverson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 10/27/2013, 2:19 am

Fresno had a German Town section in it's earlier days.  A lot of ethnic groups built Fresno over the years.  I don't think there are any German Restaurants left, I think the last Haus Brau closed in the last few years.  My folks told me they had a problem with the cooks, who were Volga Germans from Russia, because they cooked a little differently than the expected German recipes.  We lived above the restaurant and I loved to visit the kitchen where they would give me little helpings from their cooking.  Good childhood memories.

PS  The Basque herded sheep in the Valley and there were 3 good Basque restaurants growing up.  There are still 2 downtown.  The men still meet at one, and dine at a long table served family style.

Last edited by sanderson on 10/27/2013, 2:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added PS)

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12272

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:16 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum