Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 9:32 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Today at 9:29 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 9:25 pm

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by Scorpio Rising Today at 9:20 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by yolos Today at 9:19 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 9:15 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:58 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by countrynaturals Today at 8:52 pm

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:45 pm

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:33 pm

by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:28 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 8:22 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 5:51 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Today at 12:32 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by sanderson Today at 11:52 am

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Today at 11:21 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Today at 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Yesterday at 7:05 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Canning and Preserving 2013: Whatcha Got Planned?

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Canning and Preserving 2013: Whatcha Got Planned?

Post  boffer on 9/4/2013, 8:15 pm

A friend asked if I would help her can some pickles at my place.  I was thinking it would take a couple hours, and said, 'sure, why not?'

Well, a couple hours turned into 2 days to process 130+ jars of pickles!

She had a surplus of lemon cukes that she didn't want to throw in the compost pile.  She used 4 different recipes.  Although they taste good, lemon cucumbers don't make very pretty pickles!

boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 9/4/2013, 9:24 pm

Ha ha ha ha.... that's what you get when you have that sweet outdoor canning station!
Very Impressive!

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo on 9/4/2013, 10:05 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:
@littlejo wrote:cabbage-freezer slaw

Jo
How do you prepare the cabbage for freezing?

CC
CC, I put the recipe under veggies, etc.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t16620-freezer-slaw#175915

littlejo

Female Posts : 1528

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover on 9/5/2013, 8:56 am

I will be making freezer pickles this wkend; just one batch as an experiment.  Still have more tomato stuff to do, applesauce, apple butter and pie filling.  Need to pick the chard to freeze; it has not been a good year for chard in my garden.  I will definitely be missing it this winter!

herblover

Female Posts : 526

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 9/8/2013, 4:31 pm

Thanks, Jo.  I printed that out, then later had to throw out my cabbage due to the worms devastating it.  Ah well, there's always the farmers market.

A friend just gave me the biggest collard leaves I've ever laid eyes on. I've had large collard leaves before but like to harvest & eat mine small so I can eat them raw & tender.  I had no idea they could get this big:

So I blanched them while holding on to the stems like handles, cooled them, then laid them out on top if each other, rolled them up in parchment paper & cut the stems off.  I started to put them in a plastic grocery bag for the freezer, but found I had to cut the roll in half coz it wouldn't lay across the bag bottom so I could roll up the bag like I always do:    
Never had that happen before.

I haven't canned greens yet but it just doesn't seem appealing to me. Has anyone canned their greens? How'd it go?

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo on 9/8/2013, 9:17 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:Thanks, Jo.  I printed that out, then later had to throw out my cabbage due to the worms devastating it.  Ah well, there's always the farmers market.

A friend just gave me the biggest collard leaves I've ever laid eyes on.  I've had large collard leaves before but like to harvest & eat mine small so I can eat them raw & tender.  I had no idea they could get this big:

So I blanched them while holding on to the stems like handles, cooled them, then laid them out on top if each other, rolled them up in parchment paper & cut the stems off.  I started to put them in a plastic grocery bag for the freezer, but found I had to cut the roll in half coz it wouldn't lay across the bag bottom so I could roll up the bag like I always do:    
Never had that happen before.  

I haven't canned greens yet but it just doesn't seem appealing to me.  Has anyone canned their greens? How'd it go?

CC
Canned doesn't appeal, I always freeze mine

On another note, the collards in the south are a fall crop, a frost must hit before they are harvested. Makes them taste better. Your 'big' leaves are probably off of a heading collard plant.
What kind of worms got your cabbage?
Jo

littlejo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef on 9/8/2013, 10:50 pm

This year I am just blanching and freezing extras from the garden. So far I have 6 lbs of greens beans and 3 of tomatoes. I would have more but the kids keeps eating them before I get back to the house to start the process. :roll:Guess I shouldn't complain at least they are eating something healthy:travolta carro .

mschaef

Female Posts : 575

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 9/9/2013, 8:26 pm

Today is historic for the world .... I've sweet pickled some crystal lemon apple cucumbers .

I have  questions  and some observations .
 1.  What is canning salt ..

2.  Would sea salt be an Ok substitute  ?
 The recipe called for four table spoons of salt.. ye gods that's about five ounces . I diluted the final solution by 100 %  and it still tasted very salty .
Can anyone tell me how many grams there are to an American tablespoon ?

3.  The white spiced pickling vinegar was a 6% acetic acid in 40 ounce bottles , how does that compare  to  the strength of the American vinegar used in the pickle recipes .
The solution was very acidic in the final solution of 100 ounces spiced sweetened pickling solution even after the 100% dilution .

Observations ...
I. In hot pickling the jars are sterilized, the seals are sterilized yet we have to pick up the rubber seal with our germ laden fingers  to fit it on the glass lid .

2. The only hot jar lifting tongs I could find only fit the narrow necked jars not the wide mouth ones that are about 4 inches in dia .. are other size tongs available for the bigger necked jars ?

Here is a picture of two of the hot pickled crystal lemon apple cucumbers . The jars were initially filled to 3/4 inch with sliced steeped in hot pickle solution  cucumber , then the jar was filled with pickling solution to about 1/4 inch from the top .
The cucumber slices  floated up and as you can see the jars look fairly empty is this normal ?

plantoid

Male Posts : 3637

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 9/9/2013, 9:38 pm

I'm pretty sure that 4 tablespoons is 2 ounces.

The vinegar that I use is 5%.  It's often on sale.

Here's the tongs I use; they work good on small and large mouth jars.  

The picture came from here, but I don't know anything about the source.  

Canning salt: Also called pickling salt. It is regular table salt without the anticaking or iodine additives.  I think that it's an aesthetic issue, and not a safety issue.

If, and only if, it's water you're talking about, a tablespoon of water is 14.175 grams.
For other substances, you're getting into  volume vs. weight confusion land!

Regarding extra space in the jar after processing: to quote camp: "cram that sucker full". (or something to that effect!)

boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo on 9/9/2013, 9:45 pm

I have a box of canning/pickling salt, so will try to answer at least part of your questions.
What is canning salt? It is a more pure salt. Table salt tends to leave a sediment in the bottom of the jars.
Amt. of grams?   1/4 tsp.=1.5 g.    6 g. per tsp.  18 g. per tbs.

Most of our white vinegar is 5% acidity.

I see no problem using sea salt, but it may leave a sm. amt of sediment in jar.

Observations:
I think the vinegar will kill any germs you or the seal might have!
Put up a pic of the tongs you are using, please. Mine  go with any size jar. Will send you a pr. for they are not expensive.
As far as the pickles rising. Most do it to some extent. You really have to pack them tightly, then add a couple more for good measure. after filling with liquid, run a plastic knife or something that's not metal, down the inside, to release any air that might be trapped. They look good and will still eat even if they float. Most will sink after a while, with the liquid at the top.
Jo Ann

littlejo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 9/10/2013, 12:21 am

@littlejo wrote:I have a box of canning/pickling salt, so will try to answer at least part of your questions.
What is canning salt? It is a more pure salt. Table salt tends to leave a sediment in the bottom of the jars.
Amt. of grams?   1/4 tsp.=1.5 g.    6 g. per tsp.  18 g. per tbs.

Most of our white vinegar is 5% acidity.

I see no problem using sea salt, but it may leave a sm. amt of sediment in jar.

Observations:
I think the vinegar will kill any germs you or the seal might have!
Put up a pic of the tongs you are using, please. Mine  go with any size jar. Will send you a pr. for they are not expensive.
As far as the pickles rising. Most do it to some extent. You really have to pack them tightly, then add a couple more for good measure. after filling with liquid, run a plastic knife or something that's not metal, down the inside, to release any air that might be trapped. They look good and will still eat even if they float. Most will sink after a while, with the liquid at the top.
Jo Ann
+1

I came up with 21g = 1 tablespoon. So call it 20g +/- 2g

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast

Turan

Female Posts : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp on 9/10/2013, 8:53 am

This past weekend we put up two more batches of tomatillo salsa and got the dehydrator out for basil and parsley. Last night we started peach jam which brings up a question. I finished the jam this morning and the directions I have said to let cool and put into air tight containers. No mention of processing. Years ago we would try to beat the bears for wild plums and make jam out of the proceeds. We never processed the jam and it kept just fine in the cabinet. The peach jam is made with peaches, sugar and lemon juice only. Would like comments from those who know.

johnp

Male Posts : 644

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo on 9/10/2013, 10:16 am

@johnp wrote:This past weekend we put up two more batches of tomatillo salsa and got the dehydrator out for basil and parsley. Last night we started peach jam which brings up a question. I finished the jam this morning and the directions I have said to let cool and put into air tight containers. No mention of processing. Years ago we would try to beat the bears for wild plums and make jam out of the proceeds. We never processed the jam and it kept just fine in the cabinet. The peach jam is made with peaches, sugar and lemon juice only. Would like comments from those who know.
John, Depends on the recipe, are your containers sterile? Or you putting cold jam into containers? I used to put up jam, hot, and seal with paraffin wax. Or you can put hot jam into sterile jars, put on sterile lids and rings, with very little headspace and the jars would seal as the jam cooled.
Jo

littlejo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp on 9/10/2013, 10:33 am

Thanks for the reply Jo. I went to work this morning after I finished the jam and left it cooling on the stove. My wife sterilized the jars and put the warm jam in the jars and all jars sealed. I think this would be ok.

johnp

Male Posts : 644

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 9/10/2013, 11:48 am

The recommendation for food safety by the USDA is to water process all jams, jellies, marmalades and conserves.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

camprn

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper on 9/10/2013, 4:55 pm

If the recipe didn't say anything about processing you probably just made freezer jam.  Freeze your jam in air tight containers or in jars that are approved for freezing. Refrigerate any jam that you don't freeze and it will be good for a few weeks before it starts to mold.

Another option is to empty the contents of the jars in to a pan, heat to boiling, pour into clean sterilized jars and process in a boiling water bath if you are not going to freeze it or use it quickly.

Jam requires water bath processing to be safe, the ONLY exception is when you are making freezer jam.

Here is a link to the USDA Jam and Jelly canning site.
http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can7_jam_jelly.html

happycamper

Female Posts : 304

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoggar on 9/10/2013, 11:27 pm

My first batch of Pickles was supposed to be garlic dills but I got over excited about doing them and forgot to put in the garlic so I now have 5 jars of Dill Pickles. Shocked 

Thats ok though because I already have enough to make 6 more bottles. Very Happy 

BTW you guys are getting me in trouble with the wife, Every tim I learn something new about canning and go get the stuff to do it she gets mad. She likes the cash were saving on produce but the start up makes her nuts.
silly me happy2

Hoggar

Male Posts : 304

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 9/11/2013, 6:42 pm

Thanks for the weights advice guys & gals ,

Twice now ...  I've measured & weighed a dead ( raked off with the back of a knife blade ) level table spoon of my sea salt it weighs 16 grams that's 1/2 an ounce of salt  .

My tongs are the same sort of ones as Boffer has displayed , they don't grip the tops of my over centre wire clamps that seal the seal ring into the jar ( see the pictures I posted earlier)  which are 4 inches ( 100 mm ) in external diameter . They would easily fit the jars with the round  glass discs rubber ring seals or metal lids with integrated seal and retaining screw bands lid.

I'm pleased about the salt thing .
 I found out this afternoon that the iodine in my sea salt might cause colour changes but as a diabetic the iodine is good for me .

Here is the recipe I used .. as it's showing cups of things I guess it is of USA or Canada origin .

Does it seem reasonable quantities or excessive in salt & low in sugar to make it sweet pickled ?

8 1/2 cups of 14" thick sliced cucs
2 cups white vinegar
2 cups water
6 table spoon of salt
7 teaspoon of dill seed
5 teaspoon of mustard seed 1
1& 1/2 teaspoons of whole pepper corns
8 cloves of garlic ( optional )
one small whole chilli pepper optional

Instead of using the above quantities of spices I used 1/2 ounce packet of mixed pickling spices from the local health food store which contained all above and a bit more in dried form .

Simmered if for 10 min in the vinegar ,sugar , salt  and water solution then strained it off when it cooled a bit . I only added four cloves of garlic as it's a first batch trial to see how it works out.

Oh just in case things are vastly different this is how thing run this side of the pond.
one teaspoon , two tea spoons = one dessert spoon , two dessert spoons ( four teaspoons)  = one table spoon .

We tend to use exact weights in grams and /or  ounces  rather than volumes like spoons or cup's full .

All comments welcome

David

plantoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo on 9/11/2013, 8:38 pm

Plantoid,
I don't see an amount for sugar.
Yesterday,when I was looking for the info for you, the page I found would do the conversion, but, you had to know the product, and the density, before a weight could be determined.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_grams_are_in_a_tablespoon&view=classic

In the US, we have 2 sets of measuring cups, 1 for liquids, and 1 for dry. 'Someone' is trying to get us to convert to metric, grams, etc. I see a million dollar project to convert over 200 yrs of recipes!

Jo

littlejo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 9/12/2013, 3:22 pm

I canned 14 pints of salsa last night, three different recipes.  My in laws brought us back a bunch of tomatoes from their families gardens and I went and bought 10 more lbs from our local green house!  Hubby opened a jar I did last year (first timer) and I had it labeled hot and he complained it wasn't even a little spicy so I made him one special jar Twisted Evil with a LOT of seeds...  Today I am going to can some peach jam and some jalapeno peach jam, I should have started earlier but I ran out of lids so I need to make a trip to town.  
Have any of you made a fruit/jalapeno jam because I haven't and I will take any advice I can get on getting the heat right.

cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 9/13/2013, 5:47 am

@littlejo wrote:Plantoid,
I don't see an amount for sugar.
Yesterday,when I was looking for the info for you, the page I found would do the conversion, but, you had to know the product, and the density, before a weight could be determined.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_grams_are_in_a_tablespoon&view=classic

In the US, we have 2 sets of measuring cups, 1 for liquids, and 1 for dry. 'Someone' is trying to get us to convert to metric, grams, etc. I see a million dollar project to convert over 200 yrs of recipes!

Jo

Oh my ! ..... two  sets of cup but different amounts.

I have a set of mini pans in stainless steel and they are measured /marked  in cups as well as  ,1/2 , 1/4 & 1/8 cups  this could be where I am be going wrong.

I'll print the conversions and heat seal them in a clear envelope and bung it in the cook book/folder . 

Go metric as soon as you can it all runs off a base of 10 .Laughing 

It only took just over 40 years for our cooks & writers etc. to wake up to metric only to find that what was thought to be a non refusable command to go metric after joining the EEC etc.  to go metric was our " Scribble Serpents" civil servants  bending over forwards and gold plating the suggestion as law.

We can now use ounces , 16 ounce pounds ,  20 fluid ounce pints s and 8 pint gallons for almost all products . trouble is all the kids and any one under 35 only knows metric and not their 12 & 16  x's times  tables.  So ... it looks like we are stuck with metric for the next 40 or so years  No 

Sugar used was two cups ..I did use it but being dyslexic didn't realize I hadn't included it in the list of ingredients .. that's my excuse & I'm sticking to it . Embarassed 

plantoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 10/5/2013, 2:09 pm

Due to lack of freezer space, I stewed up and pressure canned my big bag of frozen tomatoes.  I used the 'Stewed Tomatoes' recipe from the book "Canning & Preserving for Dummies".  Everything but the celery, sugar & salt is from the SFG:

I still haven't tried water bath canning yet, but didn't want to try it right now due to the high humidity today...and I'm a little nervous about getting everything sterilized enough for wb. I don't have to worry about that with the pressure canner as the high heat of the process sterilizes everything for ya.

OK, now for the black beans... I love you 

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo on 10/5/2013, 2:50 pm

CC
The humidity won't matter, for the water bath will raise the humidity. I think the acid makes the difference, that's why lemon juice is added or the food is high acid only. I always use the water bath when the air is on so the humidity does not melt the humans!
Jo

littlejo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 10/5/2013, 4:39 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:Due to lack of freezer space, I stewed up and pressure canned my big bag of frozen tomatoes.  I used the 'Stewed Tomatoes' recipe from the book "Canning & Preserving for Dummies".  Everything but the celery, sugar & salt is from the SFG:

I still haven't tried water bath canning yet, but didn't want to try it right now due to the high humidity today...and I'm a little nervous about getting everything sterilized enough for wb. I don't have to worry about that with the pressure canner as the high heat of the process sterilizes everything for ya.

OK, now for the black beans... I love you 

CC
Looks great!!  When I water bath I just have two pots of water boiling and keep the jars in the boiling water until I fill them!  I  keep the lids on the small burner in a small pan hot but not boiling!  That way seems to work pretty smoothly for me!

cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 10/5/2013, 5:59 pm

I only heat my new jars and boil the clean used ones for 5 minutes, then fill, seal and process in the waterbath. It's a whole lot easier than the pressure canner.

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:56 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum