Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:00 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:28 pm

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:19 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by yolos Yesterday at 5:57 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:21 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 4:41 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Yesterday at 7:05 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 11:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 12/7/2016, 9:43 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 12/7/2016, 9:41 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan 12/7/2016, 5:19 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/7/2016, 11:48 am

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Trellis Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Trellis Question

Post  lifelovepassion on 6/24/2013, 10:03 pm

How high should I make my trellis? Is 5 feet high enough? Should it be 6? I will have cucumber, zucchini climbing and use it to stabilize my tomatoes and pepper plants in lieu of cages for them.

lifelovepassion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trellis Question

Post  Goosegirl on 6/24/2013, 10:26 pm

Depends on how high you want to reach.  Personally, at 4'11", I have my trellises only 5ft, and anything that grows beyond that gets turned back down to weave through the trellis again.  Others have trellises 10' high, and need a ladder for harvest.  I am not talented enough to use a ladder on uneven ground without ending up in traction!

GG

GG   geek 

COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lifelovepassion on 6/24/2013, 10:32 pm

Also, how do you attach the netting to the conduit?

lifelovepassion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 6/24/2013, 10:40 pm

I use plastic zip ties.

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Cable-Ties-100-Pack-Black/dp/B002C0SKBW

boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef on 6/24/2013, 11:35 pm

I used extra netting that I had to tie it to my frame.

mschaef

Female Posts : 575

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 6/25/2013, 1:14 am

I compromised with my 3rd trellis. My first 2 were 5 feet. The peas and beans went way beyond and started tangling with the star jasmine and tall roses. Ten feet electrical conduit was out of my reach without a ladder, so I had hubby cut them to 8 feet. Much better. Tall enough for the beans but short enough so I only have to use a step stool. I use white zip ties to secure the netting every 5 inches.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12277

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener on 6/25/2013, 3:24 am

@Goosegirl wrote:how high you want to reach.  Personally, at 4'11", I have my trellises only 5ft, and anything that grows beyond that gets turned back down to weave through the trellis again. 
GG
Well dear heart, this "turned back down to weave through the trellis again." takes intelligence Wink I read actions... in here on a daily basis that embarrass me, like 'how clever'. Thanks! GG Smile

LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl on 6/25/2013, 7:35 am

@lifelovepassion wrote:Also, how do you attach the netting to the conduit?
I wove each piece of conduit through a strip of the netting before attaching the corner connectors.  I borrowed the idea from someone else on the forum - can't remember who (SORRY!) - and it has held for 3 years so far, including brutal winters.

GG

GG   geek 

COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milaneyjane on 6/25/2013, 9:53 am

I have the 16 foot cattle panel sections that I bent into "tunnels" that I make so I can still reach the top and even then some of the plants grow well past the top.

milaneyjane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NAR56 on 6/25/2013, 4:57 pm

I used Cement re-enforcing panels from HD instead of netting. They cost about $8 per panel and found it to be very sturdy and they did not cut into any veggies as they grew. My trellises are 6.5 feet tall. This year my tomatoes did VERY well on the trellis vs cages from last year. Cucumbers grew up one side and then back down the other.

NAR56

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicola on 7/1/2013, 6:03 pm

@NAR56 wrote:I used Cement re-enforcing panels from HD instead of netting. They cost about $8 per panel and found it to be very sturdy and they did not cut into any veggies as they grew. My trellises are 6.5 feet tall. This year my tomatoes did VERY well on the trellis vs cages from last year. Cucumbers grew up one side and then back down the other.
I would love to see a picture of that. I'm just using fence posts from Home Depot { http://www.homedepot.com/p/YARDGARD-2-1-4-in-x-2-3-4-in-x-6-ft-Metal-Heavy-Duty-U-Channel-Fence-Post-901156A/202024128#.UdH1sDuKpOI } with some good ol' nylon trellis; just put it up yesterday, still need to fasten the sides--where are my zip ties thinking ?!

Nicola

Female Posts : 210

View user profile

Back to top Go down

trellis question

Post  jerylsgates on 7/2/2013, 12:15 am

I built PVC (3/4") frames on my raised square foot gardens that are almost 6' above the top of the soil and I set them on top of cinder blocks.  I then put little screws spaced 4" apart on the uprights.  This is to attach the trellis (that has 4" openings) to.  I put the PVC through the trellis before putting the frame together and I tied the bottoms to a PVC attached across the bottom of the frame on the side where trellises will be attached.

I live in Las Vegas, so having the frames gives me the opportunity to shade the tops and sides of my gardens when it is too hot (like this week....it is over 113 degrees).  And, to block the winds.

I also painted each of the gardens' PVC frame (before putting them together) so that the weather won't make the PVC brittle as quickly.

The other members are right, the height is up to you and how high you want to reach to harvest.  My tomato plants are about 7' and my sunflower is almost 10 feet tall (I don't harvest anything off the sunflower...it's there for the fun of seeing it bloom).

I am short (5'3") so I like keeping my frames at 6'.

jerylsgates

Female Posts : 3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 7/2/2013, 9:37 am

I have nothing but tabletops and a 6 or 7 foot trellis plus the 3 ft height of the bed was dangerously high for harvesting.  So, I cantilevered first some and later used cattle panel arches.  

Cantilevered using 10' electrical conduit legs and 4'4"  wide to go outside the boxes where the legs are attached to the box using conduit straps.  Rebar is at an angle near the front edge of the boxes.  This  allows about 6' of actual trellis space.

front to back  1  squash pulled over and laying near the bottom (unseen) and 4 cuke plants climbing.  2.  pole beans   3. pole beans  4.  2 squash laying near the bottom.  I had 3 last minute unplanned for tomatoes  and the squash were only using the bottom of the trellis, so I  set the buckets out from the bed about a foot, attached strings to the bucket handles and ran the strings up to join the trellis just above where the squash is laying. Working so far.  The squash are taking up a lot of the lower space but not climbing so tomatoes have somewhere to go.'

cattle panel
tomatoes in bucket on one side and melons in the bed on the other side of the cattle panel.  netting if off the melon bed now and cantaloupe and sugar baby watermelons are starting to climb.  Even have a few baby melons hanging.

I only need a one step stool to get to the tops, but I'm 5'7".

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NAR56 on 7/2/2013, 9:45 am

@Nicola wrote:
@NAR56 wrote:I used Cement re-enforcing panels from HD instead of netting. They cost about $8 per panel and found it to be very sturdy and they did not cut into any veggies as they grew. My trellises are 6.5 feet tall. This year my tomatoes did VERY well on the trellis vs cages from last year. Cucumbers grew up one side and then back down the other.
I would love to see a picture of that. I'm just using fence posts from Home Depot { http://www.homedepot.com/p/YARDGARD-2-1-4-in-x-2-3-4-in-x-6-ft-Metal-Heavy-Duty-U-Channel-Fence-Post-901156A/202024128#.UdH1sDuKpOI } with some good ol' nylon trellis; just put it up yesterday, still need to fasten the sides--where are my zip ties thinking ?!

Nicola, check out my post Here: http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t15589-1st-harvest-and-garden-pictures
You can see some pictures of my trellises. My Brandy-wine tomatoes are about 6 inches about the trellis now !

NAR56

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ncst8guy on 7/7/2013, 5:15 pm

Something you may want to know, the white or clear zip ties are usually NOT UV rated, meaning sunlight can eventually cause them to break.  It can take a few years to do so.  I know this from experience.  I'd hate for that to happen to someone at the worst possible time (trellis full of stuff).

ncst8guy

Male Posts : 16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 7/7/2013, 9:28 pm

@ncst8guy wrote:Something you may want to know, the white or clear zip ties are usually NOT UV rated, meaning sunlight can eventually cause them to break.  It can take a few years to do so.  I know this from experience.  I'd hate for that to happen to someone at the worst possible time (trellis full of stuff).

I just found this out earlier this year.  All my son's cattle panels are either wire clips that came with the panels or black zip ties.  I'll gradually replace mine over the next year.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:50 am