Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Today at 3:18 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Today at 3:16 pm

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 2:25 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by llama momma Today at 2:20 pm

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by llama momma Today at 2:16 pm

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by llama momma Today at 1:59 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by Ginger Blue Today at 1:57 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 8:21 am

» New Member
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:29 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:24 am

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:20 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:09 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Today at 2:14 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:22 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 12/8/2016, 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 7:05 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Compost Tea Recipe

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Compost Tea Recipe

Post  mrwes40 on 7/2/2013, 8:56 am

Came across this web site and recipe for compost tea. Some of the ingredients are a little pricey, but you can get several batches from them:

Compost Tea Recipe

Bill

mrwes40

Male Posts : 123
Join date : 2012-04-12
Location : Zone 6b (Central Connecticut)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost Tea Recipe

Post  camprn on 7/2/2013, 10:06 am

Thanks Mrwes. I use just compost (which already has microbes and worm castings) and water. Are you going to mix up this concoction? Let us know how it works! What a Face 

____________________________

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!


camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost Tea Recipe

Post  donnainzone5 on 7/2/2013, 10:32 am

I may actually have a garbage barrel full of compost tea!

Due to rainwater runoff and snow melt, my garbage can filled with water during the winter. There had been a small amount of compost on the bottom.

Should I use it? Does it qualify as compost tea?

donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1933
Join date : 2010-03-02
Age : 69
Location : Bend, OR (Zone 5-6)

View user profile http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost Tea Recipe

Post  quiltbea on 7/2/2013, 10:42 am

Like Campr, I make mine with compost using a bucket.
Just stir it around vigorously for aeration now and then.  I fill a sock with compost and tie it to the bucket handle.  I re-use the same sock and bucket by scooping out the tea with an old plastic pitcher and refilling the bucket with water time and time again.   Just replenish the sock with fresh compost when the tea eventually gets very light in color.

I use an old cat litter bucket and cover it against mosquito breeding.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613
Join date : 2010-03-21
Age : 74
Location : Southwestern Maine Zone 5A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost Tea Recipe

Post  camprn on 7/2/2013, 10:45 am

Nice QB! I don't even us a sock. A shovel full of homemade compost in a 5 gallon bucket, fill it with H2O, stir and wait 24 hours. The compost settles to the bottom so I use the tea and pour the sludge back in the compost bin.

____________________________

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!


camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost Tea Recipe

Post  mrwes40 on 7/2/2013, 1:00 pm

@camprn wrote:Nice QB! I don't even us a sock. A shovel full of homemade compost in a 5 gallon bucket, fill it with H2O, stir and wait 24 hours. The compost settles to the bottom so I use the tea and pour the sludge back in the compost bin.

 An old nylon stocking works well too.

Bill

mrwes40

Male Posts : 123
Join date : 2012-04-12
Location : Zone 6b (Central Connecticut)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost Tea Recipe

Post  mrwes40 on 7/2/2013, 1:04 pm

@camprn wrote:Thanks Mrwes. I use just compost (which already has microbes and worm castings) and water. Are you going to mix up this concoction? Let us know how it works! What a Face 

 For my own convenience, I purchase composted manure w/ humus and add blood meal, bone meal, kelp, and garden tone -- with some vermiculite. I pitch a couple of trowel fulls in each square between each harvest.

I also started collecting my urine and diluting that 1:20. I apply that once every two weeks on established plants. 

Thanks for the feedback!

Bill

mrwes40

Male Posts : 123
Join date : 2012-04-12
Location : Zone 6b (Central Connecticut)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost Tea Recipe

Post  mrwes40 on 7/2/2013, 1:09 pm

@quiltbea wrote:Like Campr, I make mine with compost using a bucket.
Just stir it around vigorously for aeration now and then.  I fill a sock with compost and tie it to the bucket handle.  I re-use the same sock and bucket by scooping out the tea with an old plastic pitcher and refilling the bucket with water time and time again.   Just replenish the sock with fresh compost when the tea eventually gets very light in color.

I use an old cat litter bucket and cover it against mosquito breeding.

 No issues with it becoming anaerobic on you? I guess stirring it is enough to prevent that.

Bill

mrwes40

Male Posts : 123
Join date : 2012-04-12
Location : Zone 6b (Central Connecticut)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost Tea Recipe

Post  camprn on 7/2/2013, 1:15 pm

@mrwes40 wrote:
@quiltbea wrote:Like Campr, I make mine with compost using a bucket.
Just stir it around vigorously for aeration now and then.  I fill a sock with compost and tie it to the bucket handle.  I re-use the same sock and bucket by scooping out the tea with an old plastic pitcher and refilling the bucket with water time and time again.   Just replenish the sock with fresh compost when the tea eventually gets very light in color.

I use an old cat litter bucket and cover it against mosquito breeding.

 No issues with it becoming anaerobic on you? I guess stirring it is enough to prevent that.

Bill
For me, I use it within a day or two, becoming anaerobic or breeding mosquitoes is no problem.

____________________________

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!


camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Compost Tea Recipe

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:26 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum