Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
by trolleydriver Today at 11:15 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by yolos Today at 9:39 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:01 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:00 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Today at 8:59 pm

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by countrynaturals Today at 8:41 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:41 pm

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:37 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:03 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Today at 5:46 pm

» Winter's Coming!
by plantoid Today at 5:33 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 5:17 pm

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by plantoid Today at 5:02 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Today at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Today at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Today at 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by sanderson Today at 4:12 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by Kelejan Today at 4:08 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Today at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Today at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Today at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Today at 12:52 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 10:11 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by AtlantaMarie Today at 5:51 am

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Today at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:23 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:22 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:05 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by trolleydriver 11/30/2016, 11:18 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hi from Grants Pass, OR

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hi from Grants Pass, OR

Post  Marc Iverson on 7/5/2013, 4:20 am

Hello, Everyone!

I'm in Southwest Oregon, Grants Pass, my home being close(ish) to the Rogue River and a $17 trip away from Medford, the nearest place much bigger.  I've been interested in gardening since my teens, but only now that my neighbor let me use some of his raised beds have I been able to pursue it.  Not a lot of space in on the second floor of a city balcony, so I've gone wild and planted ... ummm ... eight beds at his place and 20 pots at mine?  Smile  Partly for the joy of the challenge, looking forward to best case scenarios of fabulous success ... and partly because I figure if I plant a ton of stuff and most of it fails ... at least I'll get ... something?

Happy to join the forum and I've already learned an incredible amount reading it.  I will read Mel's book as soon as I can, but until then am saving up for vermiculite, gathering the neighbor's horse and chicken poop, trying a little composting, and, when I can stop thinking about tomato hornworms and how I am Death to All Cucumber Plants, thinking about how to build the soil in our home situated on almost nothing but tree and scrub-filled land and the decomposed granite beneath it.  Which is apparently wonderful for trees and not much else. 

I'm looking forward to talking to you all and learning a lot more.

Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi from Grants Pass, OR

Post  donnainzone5 on 7/5/2013, 12:04 pm

Welcome, Marc!

I'm in Bend, probably around four hours from you.

You're definitely on the right track. However, get the book and forget building up your soil.

Be on the lookout for composts, such as mint and blends of two or more materials. There are planting composts out there that will help you get started, although try to avoid any that contain peat moss, which would throw off your Mel's Mix ratios. The best source I've found for coarse vermiculite is U-Line. Shipping costs are a bit high, though.

Happy gardening!

donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1915

View user profile http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 7/5/2013, 12:07 pm

Mint compost? I am confused. Shocked  But that's not unusual. Shocked 

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 on 7/5/2013, 12:29 pm

Hey Camp,

Mint compost can be found here and there in Oregon and probably other states. I'd never heard of it either, but when I visited L&S Gardens in La Pine a year ago, it was for sale. It's rich and black. From what little I've heard, Mint is grown in the Willamette Valley.

donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer on 7/5/2013, 1:48 pm

Hi Marc and glad you\'re here  to the forum!  Donna is right - get the book and forget about needing to improve your existing soil!  

What a wonderful neighbor and they had 8 beds to spare?!?  Lucky you!  You are so right to be working on your compost pile.  It is the backbone of this gardening method and will pay off in dividends.  Good for you!

Oh, and tell us what happens to your cucumber plants?  I'm trying them this year for the second time.  Last year they got taken out by slugs and cutworms just as fast as I could sprout them.  Once I figured that out, then they were the victims of a nitrogen deficiency and didn't grow.  This year I have excellent homemade compost, raised tabletop beds that the slugs haven't found yet, and they are protected from the cutworms with toothpicks.  They are just taking off and I'm waiting for the first flowers.  Can't wait!

Join us in the PNW Region (from the home page scroll way down to find the Regional Forums).  We'd love to hear updates and see pictures of your progress.  Questions always welcome.  Happy gardening!

gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1413

View user profile http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 7/5/2013, 1:48 pm

donnainzone10 wrote:Hey Camp,

Mint compost can be found here and there in Oregon and probably other states.  I'd never heard of it either, but when I visited L&S Gardens in La Pine a year ago, it was for sale.  It's rich and black.  From what little I've heard, Mint is grown in the Willamette Valley.  
Huh. Well that's cool! Minty fresh!What a Face

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 7/5/2013, 2:52 pm

Welcome to the forum, glad you joined us!! I bet you will have more successes than you think! My first year I was amazed at the difference between sfging and traditional gardening! I will never go back!

cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 7/5/2013, 2:54 pm

Be on the lookout for composts, such as mint and blends of two or more materials.  There are planting composts out there that will help you get started, although try to avoid any that contain peat moss, which would throw off your Mel's Mix ratios.  The best source I've found for coarse vermiculite is U-Line.  Shipping costs are a bit high, though.

Happy gardening!  
Hi donnainezone10!

Hmm, mint compost is new to me!  Mint grows wild very easily in Oregon, so I guess this is a perfect place to grow it.  I have two peppermint plants and an apple mint that overwintered in a pot from last year, and wish I had many more.  Love the stuff.  Never seen the compost.

I try to avoid peat in my composts, but it can be tough.  They love to put either wood or peat in the composts I've gotten.

I was speaking to an agricultural scientist I met at the local farmers market last year, and he told me to be very skeptical about top soil and potting soil mixes both.  He said the top soil is often very poor, and that the potting soil often has too much peat, which leads it to expand and contract too often when watered, unsettling the plant and leading to micro-tears in the tiny roots and root hairs that hinder the expansion of the root system.  I guess we've all seen the pot whose soil is an inch higher after you've watered it.

So I'm definitely trying to keep peat under control.

So far I haven't found vermiculite anywhere, and I've been to a lot of places.  Thanks for the recommendation!

Marc Iverson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 7/5/2013, 2:57 pm

@cheyannarach wrote:Welcome to the forum, glad you joined us!!  I bet you will have more successes than you think!  My first year I was amazed at the difference between sfging and traditional gardening!  I will never go back!
I know one thing -- I am really enjoying not weeding!

I only have use of my neighbors beds, so cannot choose the soil.  What he's got is what he's got.  I just amended it with some compost and use compost tea. 

I would like to put some worms in it sometime, though!

And I'm building a self-watering 5-gallon bucket to transplant a tomato into.  That soil, I'll be able to play with!

Marc Iverson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 7/5/2013, 3:05 pm

I feel your pain! I hate weeding!

cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 7/5/2013, 3:11 pm

@gwennifer wrote:Hi Marc and glad you\'re here  to the forum! 

What a wonderful neighbor and they had 8 beds to spare?!?  Lucky you!  You are so right to be working on your compost pile.  It is the backbone of this gardening method and will pay off in dividends.  Good for you!

Oh, and tell us what happens to your cucumber plants?  I'm trying them this year for the second time.  Last year they got taken out by slugs and cutworms just as fast as I could sprout them.  Once I figured that out, then they were the victims of a nitrogen deficiency and didn't grow.  This year I have excellent homemade compost, raised tabletop beds that the slugs haven't found yet, and they are protected from the cutworms with toothpicks.  They are just taking off and I'm waiting for the first flowers.  Can't wait!

Join us in the PNW Region (from the home page scroll way down to find the Regional Forums).  We'd love to hear updates and see pictures of your progress.  Questions always welcome.  Happy gardening!
Hi and thanks for the welcome!

You ain't kiddin' about my getting lucky with the 8 garden beds!  Our neighbor used to fill them all, but he's almost 90 now and not physically up to working more than half about 7 beds himself.  He let a friend use however many leftover beds he wanted to, and I got the rest if I wanted to plant them.  And I did!  It's pretty cool so far, but breaking up and sifting through the beds was back-breaking work for sure.  They're, I guess something like 10 x 2 feet.

Re cucumbers, I planted some last year in a pot and they got yellow and died, and I bought maybe 16 lemon cucumbers this year and have managed to kill off all but four of them.  Of course, those are supposed to be not only incredibly easy to grow in general, but to grow here.  *sigh*  All but one of the survivors are flowering, but not very big, and the flowers drop off.  Honestly I think the crazy weather here lately (super cold, then super hot, then cold and really cloudy but with no rain, and then super hot again) put most of my plants in a holding pattern at best.

I have cucumber beetles at my house (but not at my friend's garden, where all those beds are) who eat their way around and probably spread some disease.  The leaves spot yellow, then it spreads, and eventually they turn brown and shrivel.  Unfortunately that seems to describe what happens with half the diseases, viruses, soils, and watering schedules and amounts out there, so I haven't been able to narrow down yet what it might be. 

And I'm probably also the only person in southern Oregon who never succeeds with zucchini.  Tiny holes all over the leaves (flea beetles?), various other problems.  Of course in the next bed over, my neighbor's zucchini's are so big they're coming out of the bed into the path.  Arrgg!

Marc Iverson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 7/5/2013, 3:35 pm

glad you\'re here 

I had the problems with cucs and zuccs last year, too...my first SFG year. My zuccs were taken down by powdery mildew and my cucs just wouldn't form up or grow up. It was weird. This year I seem to be off to a good start with both so I have my fingers crossed. I've already been hit with PM so I have been spritzing with baking soda & water. And the squash vine borers have paid a visit so I had to cover with tulle.

Let's keep in keepin on, Marc...we CAN do this! hyper 

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 7/5/2013, 3:43 pm

Good luck to you, CapeCoddess!  It ain't over till it's over, as they say.  I'm crossing my fingers I won't kill these last ones off.

And guess what?  My neighbor said she has half a dozen extra cucumber seedlings to give me! Very Happy

Baking soda eh?  I heard of that somewhere, but despite all the reading I'm always doing, I haven't gotten around to seeing what that's about yet.

Marc Iverson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 on 7/5/2013, 4:09 pm

Marc,

In ANSFG, Mel warns about top soil and potting soil, so your source was correct.

I use Gardner & Bloom Harvest Supreme as one of my composts; it contains no peat moss, although it does have small shreds of wood or bark in it. Nevertheless, my Mel's Mix seems to excel at growing plants!

There is also a Rogue River Valley compost, OMRI certified, that's comprised of plant material only. I found some of it at a local hydroponics store. Is there a llama farm in your vicinity? I'm able to get small amounts here for free. And one usually can find mushroom compost, although read the ingredient list carefully. It often contains peat moss, top soil, or other no-no's.

donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 7/5/2013, 4:17 pm

Thanks! I'll keep the Gardner & Bloome recommendation in mind.

I know I've seen llamas here and there on the way to Williams (south east) or on the way north.  Quite a ways though.  Maybe I'll google it.

I have to go easy on the spending for a while, so will not be able to buy everything I'd like to this year.  But it's good to round up my sources so I can put more and more pieces in place over time.

Marc Iverson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:43 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum