Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by GardenGal Today at 2:14 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:00 pm

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:19 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by yolos Yesterday at 5:57 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:21 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 4:41 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Yesterday at 7:05 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 11:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 12/7/2016, 9:43 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 12/7/2016, 9:41 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan 12/7/2016, 5:19 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/7/2016, 11:48 am

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

» New Member
by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

My SFG - first time!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My SFG - first time!

Post  peachiee77 on 7/7/2013, 5:07 pm

Hey guys!

I have posted a bit regarding questions and I have read A LOT on here because I am brand spanking new to SFG, well and gardening in general! I've never grown anything before in my life and any plant I bring into the house dies, but I thought I'd give vegetable gardening a try!  I thank all of you for all your infinite wisdom on the subject and wanted to post some pics I have of my current garden.  Some things didn't do too well, I've learned a lot of things I need to change for next year, but overall I think it's been a success!!  Let me know what you pros think!  haha

Here's the whole garden:


Sugar Snap Peas:




Pickling cucumber:


Cauliflower:


Cucumbers (pickling and marketmore) are climbing!  Beans are beside it and peas on the far side


Zucchini


Brussels sprouts are getting bigger!


And my peppers (theres a few forming under those leaves!)


And lastly there's the second whole bed.  In addition to the veggies you already saw theres also Swiss chard (which I'm really not a fan of so will probably pull!), lettuce (which is half ravished by bunnies!), spinach, leeks, onions (spanish and green), beets, and carrots (also being enjoyed by the bunnies!  haha)


Hope that wasn't photo overload....I'm just feeling very excited about my garden!  I also have tomatoes in containers and a watermelon plant!

peachiee77

Posts : 17
Join date : 2013-04-24
Location : Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My SFG - first time!

Post  llama momma on 7/7/2013, 5:12 pm

Stunning!  Please forgive the pun --  everything looks just Peachie!   Excellent!!

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4642
Join date : 2010-08-20
Age : 59
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My SFG - first time!

Post  southern gardener on 7/7/2013, 5:36 pm

AMAZING garden!  well done. you should be very proud! wahoo!cheers rock on rock on

what all did you use in your MM?


Last edited by southern gardener on 7/7/2013, 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot 2nd part)

southern gardener

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 36
Location : california, zone 10a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My SFG - first time!

Post  bnoles on 7/7/2013, 5:38 pm

WOW! If this is your 1st..... I can't wait to see your 2nd!

Awesome job and thanks for sharing it with us.

bnoles

Male Posts : 804
Join date : 2012-08-16
Location : North GA Mountains Zone 7A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My SFG - first time!

Post  camprn on 7/7/2013, 5:50 pm

Hot DOG! that is one beautiful garden, now you have to shake off the black thumb label, it no longer applies. What types of compost did you end up using in your Mel's Mix?

____________________________

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!


camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: My SFG - first time!

Post  peachiee77 on 7/7/2013, 6:23 pm

Well, I cheated a bit in my MM...Embarassed 

I couldn't afford to make it exactly and I couldn't find vermiculite anywhere around me (good ol' small town!). My room mate's brother is a landscaper and he had dirt that was 80% compost and 20% sandy loam topsoil (I know, I know!! haha). I added extra manure to it as well!

I just couldn't pass it up - it only cost $25 to fill both 4x8 beds plus some extra for containers and other beds! Not too bad!

We started composted as well so each year i'll be able to add that!

(I feel a little like a fraud that was exposed not since I didn't have genuine MM - can I be forgiven? haha)

peachiee77

Posts : 17
Join date : 2013-04-24
Location : Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My SFG - first time!

Post  llama momma on 7/7/2013, 6:28 pm

Gotcha!  In 3 years I haven't seen any peppers with leaves that big on this forum, so I was wondering if you would fess'up to something !  Razz 
Anyway, best wishes for a great harvest and enjoy making a top notch compost for the future.

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4642
Join date : 2010-08-20
Age : 59
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My SFG - first time!

Post  peachiee77 on 7/7/2013, 6:30 pm

@llama momma wrote:Gotcha!  In 3 years I haven't seen any peppers with leaves that big on this forum, so I was wondering if you would fess'up to something !  Razz 
Anyway, best wishes for a great harvest and enjoy making a top notch compost for the future.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Like I've said, Ive never gardened before so I have no idea what things are supposed to look like! There's a pepper on one of them that's about the size of a large bouncy ball - I was expecting the plants to get a lot bigger before they produced. I was expecting more like a tomato plant! lol

peachiee77

Posts : 17
Join date : 2013-04-24
Location : Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My SFG - first time!

Post  Kelejan on 7/7/2013, 7:04 pm

Peachie, for a first time gardener you have done very well. Much better than I have done. My excuse is that I have too much shade as I have on the north side of a hill and only get patchy sunshine, although I do quite well with the cold crops like lettuce, chard, kale, and an overload of Scarlet runner beans etc.

Look forward to seeing pictures of your second year as no doubt you will have learned a lot this first season.

Kelejan

Female Posts : 4502
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 81
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: My SFG - first time!

Post  southern gardener on 7/7/2013, 7:13 pm

@peachiee77 wrote:Well, I cheated a bit in my MM...Embarassed 

I couldn't afford to make it exactly and I couldn't find vermiculite anywhere around me (good ol' small town!).  My room mate's brother is a landscaper and he had dirt that was 80% compost and 20% sandy loam topsoil (I know, I know!!  haha).  I added extra manure to it as well!

I just couldn't pass it up - it only cost $25 to fill both 4x8 beds plus some extra for containers and other beds!  Not too bad!

We started composted as well so each year i'll be able to add that!

(I feel a little like a fraud that was exposed not since I didn't have genuine MM - can I be forgiven?   haha)

lol...no fraud, but I'd get MORE of that stuff! your garden is amazing, I wouldn't change a thing! You have what I am striving for! congrats. Do you happen to know what was in the compost he sold you? Something good for sure!! again, nice garden!!

southern gardener

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 36
Location : california, zone 10a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My SFG - first time!

Post  llama momma on 7/7/2013, 7:32 pm

@peachiee77 wrote:
@llama momma wrote:Gotcha!  In 3 years I haven't seen any peppers with leaves that big on this forum, so I was wondering if you would fess'up to something !  Razz 
Anyway, best wishes for a great harvest and enjoy making a top notch compost for the future.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?  Like I've said, Ive never gardened before so I have no idea what things are supposed to look like!  There's a pepper on one of them that's about the size of a large bouncy ball - I was expecting the plants to get a lot bigger before they produced.  I was expecting more like a tomato plant!  lol

 Well Peachie,  you said there were little peppers on those plants so those huge leaves seem ok.  Many of us moan over wimpy pepper plants that's why I commented about it. Sometimes when there is too much nitrogen you get lots of leaves at the expense of fruit.  I hope you find out what was used in the composted part of your mix.  It looks like a winner- at least at this point in time!

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4642
Join date : 2010-08-20
Age : 59
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My SFG - first time!

Post  camprn on 7/7/2013, 8:38 pm

@llama momma wrote:
@peachiee77 wrote:
@llama momma wrote:Gotcha!  In 3 years I haven't seen any peppers with leaves that big on this forum, so I was wondering if you would fess'up to something !  Razz 
Anyway, best wishes for a great harvest and enjoy making a top notch compost for the future.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?  Like I've said, Ive never gardened before so I have no idea what things are supposed to look like!  There's a pepper on one of them that's about the size of a large bouncy ball - I was expecting the plants to get a lot bigger before they produced.  I was expecting more like a tomato plant!  lol

 Well Peachie,  you said there were little peppers on those plants so those huge leaves seem ok.  Many of us moan over wimpy pepper plants that's why I commented about it. Sometimes when there is too much nitrogen you get lots of leaves at the expense of fruit.  I hope you find out what was used in the composted part of your mix.  It looks like a winner- at least at this point in time!
It's early yet for peppers in your area Peachie. No worries.

____________________________

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!


camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: My SFG - first time!

Post  peachiee77 on 7/8/2013, 11:59 am

Thanks everyone! I was calling it a success for my first time, but I feel even better about it now!


peachiee77

Posts : 17
Join date : 2013-04-24
Location : Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My SFG - first time!

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:38 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum