Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by AtlantaMarie Today at 6:27 am

» Amaranth
by AtlantaMarie Today at 6:22 am

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 4:09 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by sanderson Today at 4:06 am

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by sanderson Today at 4:03 am

» Live and learn
by sanderson Today at 2:29 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:03 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:42 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:42 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 2:04 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts Yesterday at 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess 12/3/2016, 12:32 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 3:39 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 12/2/2016, 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Barneca's little garden

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Barneca's little garden

Post  barneca on 7/12/2013, 6:55 pm

After seeing other peoples' galleries, I doubt this will impress anyone, but my little garden is doing so much better than the last couple of years that I thought I'd share my joy and post some pix.

SFG downhill on left, in-ground uphill on right, one of my two deputy assistant junior gardeners on far right.  The plan is, next year I'll put in another 4x4 box to replace the portion of the in-ground closest to the SFG, and the following year another. These pix are actually from about 2.5 weeks ago.

Closeup of SFG prior to first harvest.  Pretty much taken over by beets, so I harvested them to make room for the other plants (and a second planting of carrots).  The small tomato plants in back (direct sown outside in May (yes, I know that isn't how you're supposed to do it)) have suddenly gone insane since these pix were taken 2-3 weeks ago, today they're over 4 ft tall and I saw my first green tomatoes yesterday. Peas at back left, planted way too late, are hanging in there even with the heat, today about 1 ft taller than this photo and bearing pods. Beans at right have since doubled in size (taking over about 4 squares) and have some long pods as well.

My first harvest of beets that has ever worked.  Previous years they were as big as my pinky.  This year they averaged 1.5" diameter. A little tougher than I expected, but tasted great.  We discovered that large mature beet leaves don't taste as good as small tender beet leaves, but it was worth a shot.  

My SFG after beets were harvested; you can almost see the other plants heave a sigh of relief.  Replanted the empty squares with more carrots and beets, but left the 2 squares next to the beans empty because they wouldn't see any sun anyway.

My poor soybeans, attacked by... something.  They looked like this 4 weeks ago, then amazed me by growing their leaves back, then a day before this picture was taken they were attacked by whatever it was, again.  This time it was for keeps, they haven't grown back again.  Exact same problem with other soybean plants in in-ground garden 12 ft away.  No other crop attacked like that, with leaves gone and stems cut well above the ground. Next year a critter fence.

I know, it isn't SFG, but also very happy with my potato plants.  They grew another 6" or so in 2-3 weeks, and in the last week have just started to turn yellow. Hoping for a good crop this year when they've completely died back.

Note the difference between these bean plants (bottom of picture) and the SFG bean plants, and the tomatoes (back cage) and the SFG tomatoes.  Hard to believe they're the same crops planted on the same date.  Cukes have exploded in last 2 weeks as well, flowering now and attracting some bumble bees.

Thanks for looking.

barneca

Male Posts : 15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Barneca's little garden

Post  sanderson on 7/12/2013, 7:59 pm

It was a pleasure to look. Very lovely garden. Your in-ground looks nice, but it sounds like you are sold on SFG!

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12261

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles on 7/12/2013, 8:39 pm

Spectacular gardening! Thanks for sharing it with us.

bnoles

Male Posts : 804

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR on 7/12/2013, 9:11 pm

Very nice Chuck! You should be proud of your garden.  

I am my gardens worst enemy.

RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 3879

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 7/12/2013, 9:36 pm

Very nice, and wonderfully disease and bug free!

Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  barneca on 7/15/2013, 10:26 pm

Thanks for the compliments, everyone.  Here's what I mean about the tomato plant taking off: this is 3 weeks after my previous picture:

The tomatoes have pretty much taken over the (inadequate) 4 ft high trellis that was originally intended for the tomatoes, peas (now harvested) and cukes (eaten by a varmint).

Sanderson: Yep, I'm pretty much sold on SFG, especially after comparing the in-ground and SFG tomatoes and bean plants.  That's a tomato plant, planted the same way at the same time, behind the potatoes just past the fence post.  Less than half as high, and like 1/10th the volume.
Marc: Well, I actually had some kind of... something... that was attacking the leaves of my beet and bean and cucumber plants; for a while, additional leaves were turning grey almost daily.  So I started religiously going out every morning and picking off all leaves from all plants that showed any hint of it, whether that stripped 75% of the leaves from one plant or not, and it eventually stopped showing up on new leaves.  Dodged a bullet there, I think.

barneca

Male Posts : 15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 7/16/2013, 8:23 pm

Ah, how nice! I've taken a lot of leaves off some of my tomato plants too. Hope I wind up with the same success you did!

Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:25 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum