Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by PVPind Today at 12:13 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Today at 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Today at 7:05 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:36 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:43 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 9:41 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan Yesterday at 5:19 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:51 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:48 am

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma 12/6/2016, 4:35 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess 12/6/2016, 3:27 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Millenia's First Garden

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Millenia's First Garden

Post  Millenia on 7/28/2013, 4:08 pm

Started with one raised bed. Then read Square Foot Garden and built two more and converted the one I already had.

I dug around my peppers and Okra, put the dirt in the bottom of my other two beds, and added Mels Mix to the rest of it. Here's my first pepper almost ready to pick. I bought transplants the end of May. It sure has taken a long time. My first pepper plant to fruit was decimated by a gigantic tomato worm because I didn't see it.

My okra, also planted the end of May. I've gotten one pod so far and it isn't setting on any more. It was attacked by ants and aphids so I'm guessing that was the problem. I've also read they like hot weather and we haven't had a typical July. I think I got rid of the ants and aphids so we'll see how it does.

I think I've saved my pumpkins from the dreaded pickle worms that decimated my cukes and squash. I pruned everything that looked like it had a worm in it and sprayed the heck out of them with Spinosad. I found a dead worm the next day so it must be working. I've been told I need to spray them with Copper. I think that's for the fungus on the leaves. I've been waiting to see if I can avoid that now that the monsoon season seems to be letting up. They are blooming but they look like all male flowers so far. The trellises you see have gourds on them. I've never grown gourds and wanted to see what I'd get. If I had a do over, I'd plant all kinds of pumpkins but I planted what I could find at the time.

At the urging from some on this board, I found some cucumber and zuchini seeds at Home Dept and decided to try again (now that I know to watch out for those pickle worms.) I'm going to try to run this zuchini up this stake. I was shocked that my cucumbers sprouted after only 3 days and zuchini after 4.

I've also planted some carrots, beans, and peas. I plan to plant lots of spinach and lettuce but have to wait until August to plant those. I've got over 30 packs of seeds! I hope we get some tasty veggies out of all this. It has been fun so far and I'm learning how to compost. Some of the other plants you see are herbs I've bought, oregano, basil, and chives. I had cilantro but it bolted and I pulled it up.

Millenia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Millenia's First Garden

Post  yolos on 7/28/2013, 5:05 pm

Everything looks so nice and clean.  I love your mulch and such nice looking boxes.  Hope everything grows to a ripe stage.  I have had so many problems with diseases and pickle worms that I am about ready to cut down the tomatoes, cucs, watermellons and cantelopes.  The beans are doing great though so I have had some successes.  Good luck.

yolos

Female Posts : 2859

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Millenia on 7/28/2013, 11:01 pm

The pickle worms get watermelons and cantaloupes too? I want to try watermelons next year, but the little ones, no big ones. I wish Florida would keep their pickle worm moths.

Millenia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 7/29/2013, 10:46 am

I don't know about the pickle worms getting watermellon or cantelope. Downy mildew got my watermellon and cantelope and cucumbers. Pickle worms in the cucs finally did them in. Downy mildew on the cuc leaves and worms in the cucumber itself.

yolos

Female Posts : 2859

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Millenia on 7/29/2013, 1:36 pm

I think my pumpkins are recovering from the downy mildew now that we're getting sunshine. The new leaves don't seem to be coming down with it and I keep cutting off the infected ones.

Millenia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 7/29/2013, 11:33 pm

@yolos wrote:I don't know about the pickle worms getting watermellon or cantelope.  Downy mildew got my watermellon and cantelope and cucumbers.  Pickle worms in the cucs finally did them in.  Downy mildew on the cuc leaves and worms in the cucumber itself.
Check on neem oil...If I remember correctly it may help eliminate mildew and others,.

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 1848

View user profile http://www.jcjigs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 7/30/2013, 12:09 am

Millenia, Your garden is absolutely gorgeous. My husband covets your barn! Everything so clean and well kept.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12275

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Millenia on 7/31/2013, 10:10 am

@sanderson wrote:Millenia,  Your garden is absolutely gorgeous.  My husband covets your barn!  Everything so clean and well kept.

Thank you. That is my husband's 'hunting shed.' He complains that I've girlied it up. Wink  But guess who built my beds and trellises?

Millenia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 7/31/2013, 8:27 pm

He should think "classy" rather than "girlie."  Between the two of you, you've got one heck of an attractive area.  A side benefit of SFG is that it lends itself to creativity.  All you need are a couple of white Adirondack chairs with Tuscan-red slip covers on the pads to match the hunting shed!Very Happy

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12275

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Millenia on 8/1/2013, 4:01 pm

@sanderson wrote:He should think "classy" rather than "girlie."  Between the two of you, you've got one heck of an attractive area.  A side benefit of SFG is that it lends itself to creativity.  All you need are a couple of white Adirondack chairs with Tuscan-red slip covers on the pads to match the hunting shed!Very Happy

Ooh, adirondack chairs. Perfect...

I was thinking bird feeder but then remembered I don't WANT seed-eating birds near my garden. Maybe a birdbath, though...to go with my hummingbird feeder...

Millenia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ncst8guy on 8/3/2013, 12:26 pm

I don't think there is anything "girlie" about having home grown food right next to the hunting shed. So long as you don't plant pretty flowers.

I think it looks awesome.

ncst8guy

Male Posts : 16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 8/3/2013, 6:28 pm

I see nothing wrong with pretty flowers....I have them through out my garden and I enjoy them every bit as I do my veggies, especially now with Mel's Mix.
Next year I am going to do all of my wife's hanging baskets with MM
You wouldnt believe the nasturtium I just removed from my garden because it was over powering everything..

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 1848

View user profile http://www.jcjigs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:13 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum