Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 5:13 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 4:51 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 3:16 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 12:49 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 11:49 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 11:48 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by CapeCoddess Today at 11:37 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by landarch Today at 9:29 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by llama momma Today at 5:10 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by yolos Today at 12:13 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:52 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 3:27 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 12/5/2016, 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

» New Member
by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Burned Grass; Mel's mix?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Burned Grass; Mel's mix?

Post  august on 8/2/2013, 7:28 pm

Hello, I am a new member, August
 
Have completed my first SFG 4x4x6" d, and mixed the three ingredients on visq. (plastic sheeting). When I finished mixing and transfering to the bin., I hosed the remaining debris off of the sheetiong so it could be used for my next bin. When I checked in the morning the grass was brown. Seems as though the mix had burned my grass. My question is will the mix hurt or burn my plants if I use the mix?

Thanks


Last edited by camprn on 8/2/2013, 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarified titile)

august

Male Posts : 7
Join date : 2013-08-02
Location : beaumont, texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Burned Grass; Mel's mix?

Post  camprn on 8/2/2013, 9:59 pm

Before I can answer your questions, I have a few of my own.

How long did you leave the tarp down on the grass? How hot was it at the time? What exactly did you use to make your mix.

____________________________

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!


camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Burned Grass; Mel's mix?

Post  squaredeal on 8/2/2013, 10:05 pm

Was the plastic sheeting on the grass when you mixed up your Mel's Mix?  If yes, how long was the sheeting on the grass?  If your sheet was on the grass for any time more than just a few minutes, you may have temporarily "cooked" your grass.

squaredeal

Female Posts : 192
Join date : 2011-05-09
Location : Indianapolis=6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Burned Grass; Mel's mix?

Post  sanderson on 8/3/2013, 3:44 am

August, Welcome to the Forum.  glad you\'re here 

At first glance, it is most likely that the dark material on top of the plastic in this heat caused the lawn to burn.

I burned my grass when I made my Mel's Mix (MM) using clear plastic in the cool months of February and March.  Even though I moved the plastic sheet around each day, one day was just warm enough to heat the piles of ingredients which in turned burned the grass under the plastic.  In the heat of August, it can be devastating to the lawn.  If you have an area of concrete to work on, or a shaded area, you may want to place the plastic there.

Correctly made MM is very mild (if that is the correct word to use) and will not hurt the lawn when you wash it off the tarp, and it will not hurt your plants or seeds.  They love it!

Please be assured that most of the folks on this Forum have made mistakes one time or another!  We either silly me or rofl

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12272
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Burned Grass; Mel's mix?

Post  august on 8/3/2013, 9:50 am

The only part of the grass that burned was the spot that was washed off of the plastic.
@camprn wrote:Before I can answer your questions, I have a few of my own.

How long did you leave the tarp down on the grass? How hot was it at the time? What exactly did you use to make your mix.

august

Male Posts : 7
Join date : 2013-08-02
Location : beaumont, texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Burned Grass; Mel's mix?

Post  august on 8/3/2013, 9:53 am

The only part of the grass that burned was what was washed off the plastic.
@sanderson wrote:August, Welcome to the Forum.  glad you\'re here 

At first glance, it is most likely that the dark material on top of the plastic in this heat caused the lawn to burn.

I burned my grass when I made my Mel's Mix (MM) using clear plastic in the cool months of February and March.  Even though I moved the plastic sheet around each day, one day was just warm enough to heat the piles of ingredients which in turned burned the grass under the plastic.  In the heat of August, it can be devastating to the lawn.  If you have an area of concrete to work on, or a shaded area, you may want to place the plastic there.

Correctly made MM is very mild (if that is the correct word to use) and will not hurt the lawn when you wash it off the tarp, and it will not hurt your plants or seeds.  They love it!

Please be assured that most of the folks on this Forum have made mistakes one time or another!  We either silly me or rofl

august

Male Posts : 7
Join date : 2013-08-02
Location : beaumont, texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Burned Grass; Mel's mix?

Post  camprn on 8/3/2013, 10:32 am

And what were the ingredients you used to make the Mel's mix?

____________________________

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!


camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Burned Grass; Mel's mix?

Post  august on 8/3/2013, 8:56 pm

Sorry, not tarp. plastic sheeting (what's used under concrete). And, please read my last comment. The only part of the grass that was burned was the part that was washed off the sheeting.
@august wrote:The only part of the grass that burned was the spot that was washed off of the plastic.
@camprn wrote:Before I can answer your questions, I have a few of my own.

How long did you leave the tarp down on the grass? How hot was it at the time? What exactly did you use to make your mix.

august

Male Posts : 7
Join date : 2013-08-02
Location : beaumont, texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Burned Grass; Mel's mix?

Post  august on 8/3/2013, 8:57 pm

NO
@august wrote:The only part of the grass that burned was what was washed off the plastic.
@sanderson wrote:August, Welcome to the Forum.  glad you\'re here 

At first glance, it is most likely that the dark material on top of the plastic in this heat caused the lawn to burn.

I burned my grass when I made my Mel's Mix (MM) using clear plastic in the cool months of February and March.  Even though I moved the plastic sheet around each day, one day was just warm enough to heat the piles of ingredients which in turned burned the grass under the plastic.  In the heat of August, it can be devastating to the lawn.  If you have an area of concrete to work on, or a shaded area, you may want to place the plastic there.

Correctly made MM is very mild (if that is the correct word to use) and will not hurt the lawn when you wash it off the tarp, and it will not hurt your plants or seeds.  They love it!

Please be assured that most of the folks on this Forum have made mistakes one time or another!  We either silly me or rofl

august

Male Posts : 7
Join date : 2013-08-02
Location : beaumont, texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Burned Grass; Mel's mix?

Post  camprn on 8/3/2013, 8:58 pm

@august wrote:Sorry, not tarp. plastic sheeting (what's used under concrete). And, please read my last comment. The only part of the grass that was burned was the part that was washed off the sheeting.
@august wrote:The only part of the grass that burned was the spot that was washed off of the plastic.
@camprn wrote:Before I can answer your questions, I have a few of my own.

How long did you leave the tarp down on the grass? How hot was it at the time? What exactly did you use to make your mix.
I did read the last comment, however I still do not know enough to form an opinion of the situation.

Good luck with your garden. okay 

____________________________

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!


camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Burned Grass; Mel's mix?

Post  bnoles on 8/3/2013, 9:22 pm

Hi august,

Please provide a detailed list of every ingredient you used in your mix so that we can attempt to analyze the cause of your problem.

bnoles

Male Posts : 804
Join date : 2012-08-16
Location : North GA Mountains Zone 7A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Burned Grass; Mel's mix?

Post  Triciasgarden on 8/4/2013, 11:12 pm

Welcome to the forum August!  Is there a chance you used too fresh of manure in your compost?  The people on this forum really work at trying to help each other and at times go way out of their way to research a problem someone has.  They try to gather as much information as they can and make educated guesses on what information is provided to them or go from their own personal experiences as suggestions on what may be happening to cause a problem the poster has.  We also try to be friendly and kind to each other because that is the way we try to do it here.

Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1628
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 61
Location : Northern Utah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Burned Grass; Mel's mix?

Post  llama momma on 8/5/2013, 6:56 am

August -
I am betting the farm that I have the answer for you!
You live in Texas Right?  
I bet you were outside quite awhile mixing and spraying.  It takes time to fill the box with your new mix.  Meantime, the water inside the hose was getting hot.  You finally finished filling the box and go to clean up.  The water in the hose heated up pretty good by now.  Your visqueen  and Mel's mix is not the problem.  Rather the temperature of the water became sunny Texas-hot inside the hose.  Rinsed off the visqueen with hot water and mels mix right into your grass then the sun made sure to finish it off toasty brown.  What do you think?  
 I live up here in Ohio and on a good hot sunny day my hose will sit in the sun with the nozzle turned off as I go about gardening.  At first it is filled with cold well water but I must feel the water before using it otherwise it gets way too hot.

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4642
Join date : 2010-08-20
Age : 59
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Burned Grass; Mel's mix?

Post  camprn on 8/5/2013, 7:00 am

Oh, good thinking LM. That could be a good reason!

____________________________

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!


camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Burned Grass; Mel's mix?

Post  llama momma on 8/5/2013, 7:08 am

I have to wonder how many times gardeners have burned their poor veggies this way.  Omg just thought of automated drip systems with long hoses. 
Morning watering would be ok but what about those who try twice a day watering...hmm

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4642
Join date : 2010-08-20
Age : 59
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Burned Grass; Mel's mix?

Post  bnoles on 8/5/2013, 7:12 am

You are on top of things Gina..... no arguing that and now I have yet another thing to watch for. Cool 

bnoles

Male Posts : 804
Join date : 2012-08-16
Location : North GA Mountains Zone 7A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Burned Grass; Mel's mix?

Post  llama momma on 8/5/2013, 7:22 am

Oh Bob thank you, your are dear. I may need to print that off and frame it.
I do try but have to giggle cause it's not how I usually see myself  
jocolor

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4642
Join date : 2010-08-20
Age : 59
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Burned Grass; Mel's mix?

Post  august on 8/5/2013, 8:44 am

Im sorry, the  hose water was cold and when I finished the hosing it was dark around 8:30 pm. It only took about 10 min to hose off the visqueen. It might be the compost. I bought it at Lowes. It was a bagged blended mix from a Dallas company. Thanks for your comments.  
@llama momma wrote:August -
I am betting the farm that I have the answer for you!
You live in Texas Right?  
I bet you were outside quite awhile mixing and spraying.  It takes time to fill the box with your new mix.  Meantime, the water inside the hose was getting hot.  You finally finished filling the box and go to clean up.  The water in the hose heated up pretty good by now.  Your visqueen  and Mel's mix is not the problem.  Rather the temperature of the water became sunny Texas-hot inside the hose.  Rinsed off the visqueen with hot water and mels mix right into your grass then the sun made sure to finish it off toasty brown.  What do you think?  
 I live up here in Ohio and on a good hot sunny day my hose will sit in the sun with the nozzle turned off as I go about gardening.  At first it is filled with cold well water but I must feel the water before using it otherwise it gets way too hot.

august

Male Posts : 7
Join date : 2013-08-02
Location : beaumont, texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Burned Grass; Mel's mix?

Post  llama momma on 8/5/2013, 9:06 am

Ok then!  I'm with you and back to the compost.  Plenty of us have read about sub- standard experiences with purchased compost on this forum. It is the least reliable way to go as there seems to be no industry standard for it. 

I'm working with a neighbor and trying to spare problems so he has a compost heap started before building a garden.  That's my wishful dream for all new gardeners. That is, no gardening allowed until quality homemade compost is produced first. And number two, then there needs to be a committed ongoing production of it to feed the garden.
Smile

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4642
Join date : 2010-08-20
Age : 59
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Burned Grass; Mel's mix?

Post  Triciasgarden on 8/5/2013, 8:54 pm

It is hard to know what is in the compost we buy!  I hope your grass comes back healthy and happy August!  It might be a good idea to let the Mel's Mix you mixed up "rest" for about a week or so before you plant in it.  Keep watering it as if you had things planted in it and so your MM doesn't dry out.  I would hate for you to work hard and plant seeds or seedlings and have them suffer what your lawn did!

Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1628
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 61
Location : Northern Utah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Burned Grass; Mel's mix?

Post  walshevak on 8/5/2013, 9:23 pm

Do you have any seedlings available or does a nursery have any? I would plant one or two in the mix plus some fast germinating seeds and see how they do before doing a full planting. Is there any chance one of your store bought composts has a "weed and feed" ingredient added . It almost sounds like somebody soaked a bag with Roundup.

Kay

____________________________

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310
Join date : 2010-10-17
Age : 73
Location : wilmington, nc zone 8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Burned Grass; Mel's mix?

Post  Triciasgarden on 8/5/2013, 9:28 pm

Those are some good suggestions Kay!

Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1628
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 61
Location : Northern Utah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Burned Grass; Mel's mix?

Post  august on 8/6/2013, 9:23 am

@camprn wrote:Oh, good thinking LM. That could be a good reason!
Thank you guys for your input . Im really concerned about what you said about bought bought compost and Ive been watering it daily and will plant a seadling to check before initial planting in about two more weeks.With kindest regards,August


Last edited by camprn on 8/10/2013, 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed quote box)

august

Male Posts : 7
Join date : 2013-08-02
Location : beaumont, texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Burned Grass; Mel's mix?

Post  Triciasgarden on 8/10/2013, 6:29 pm

Good luck August!

Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1628
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 61
Location : Northern Utah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Burned Grass; Mel's mix?

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:15 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum