Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by GardenGal Today at 6:38 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 Today at 6:11 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by jimmy cee Today at 5:35 pm

by trolleydriver Today at 4:14 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 1:32 pm

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 12:57 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by sanderson Today at 12:40 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Today at 12:32 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 10:56 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Today at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Today at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Today at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Today at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:52 pm

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver 12/1/2016, 5:23 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 1:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a minute and it will change

View previous topic View next topic Go down

If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a minute and it will change

Post  lyndeeloo on 8/4/2013, 9:20 pm

It was beautiful this afternoon, working in the garden and drying some herbs, enjoying the sunshine. Then a sudden thunderstorm rolls in and we run for the house. Heavy rain and then OMG, HAIL.

and more hail, some the size of large marbles.

strawberry plants knee deep in hail

I can't believe how it shredded the leaves or blew holes right through them. Leaf litter everywhere. I may have lost the top 2 feet of 4 nice tomato plants that had grown above their trellis. I'll get some 8 foot poles tomorrow and try to tie them up to save them. New England weather is never boring!

lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a minute and it will change

Post  camprn on 8/4/2013, 9:34 pm

We had hail in my neck of the woods too, just not right over my garden. It can be devastating, but it looks like most of your garden came trough well. The plants will make more foliage. Hang in there.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a minute and it will change

Post  CapeCoddess on 8/5/2013, 10:49 am

OMG!  I was watching that micro-burst on the computer radar.  It was all yellows and oranges, and as it came over the Cape the wind went wild but the storm divided right over our town (as do most rain clouds Sad ) but we could hear the thunder and I could see how severe it was north and south of us.  Haven't heard about the other Cape towns that got hit yet, so I don't know the results.

Hope all is well...
CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra on 8/5/2013, 11:02 am

Oh, wow, Lyndeeloo!  The size of your hail was pretty large.  I hope you're able to salvage those plants.

DH & I got caught in that (or similar) storm while on a bike ride yesterday.  We had to pull over & duck under the tarp we carry with us for just such an eventuality.  Even though we were on a path that was bordered by forest and had a sizeable canopy of leaves over us, we got peltered by some good sized hail.   I was really worried about what I'd find when I got home, but if we got any hail in town, it didn't do much damage, thank goodness. 

We were on an old rail trail about an hour North of us and at a higher elevation, but I don't know if that matters much.  We should have looked at the forecast before we decided to go on the ride, but it looked so sunny & nice when we left the house...

mollyhespra

Female Posts : 800

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 8/5/2013, 12:12 pm

There is some buzz about the potential for frost overnight tonight. Mind your weather forecast.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

camprn

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra on 8/5/2013, 12:51 pm

Thanks for the head's up, Camp.  DH wanted to light the woodstove last night (but we didn't, not that it wasn't fairly chilly overnight, just trying to deny the inevitable, I suppose) and it hasn't gotten much above 60 with a crisp of Fall in the air.  It's a-comin'.  If not tonight, then soon, I'm afraid...

Sad for my unripe toms, peppers, squash, beans, corn...

What a "summer", eh?

mollyhespra

Female Posts : 800

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 8/5/2013, 1:59 pm

This weather is actually perfection. The plants are growing, putting on bloom, not suffering from the heat... just gotta watch the temp tonight. It will warm up again, but hopefully not be oppressive.

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 8/5/2013, 4:16 pm

I'm loving this weather here is southwestern Maine.  Most of the rain comes thru the nite and from one tenth to 4 tenths inches as a rule.  In the day time, mostly sunshine and in the 70s.  This week low and mid-70sF so it perfect.  Got a half inch of rain mid-afternoon yesterday but no hail, thank goodness.  The plants are loving it except for the excessive rain bringing on some early blight to my tomatoes, even the hybrids.  I guess nothing can escape when we get almost nightly rain.
I'll just try to enjoy the cool breezes.  We're sure to get some heat in the high 80s this month, we always do.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:50 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum