Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:36 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:28 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:46 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:43 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 9:41 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan Yesterday at 5:19 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:51 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:48 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by llama momma 12/6/2016, 4:52 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma 12/6/2016, 4:35 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess 12/6/2016, 3:27 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 12/5/2016, 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Newbie from Tijeras, NM

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Newbie from Tijeras, NM

Post  cismith54 on 8/10/2013, 10:34 am

Hi,  I am so glad I found this forum.  I just started a very small garden and transplanted tomatoes, peppers, cantaloupe and cucumbers. I did this to try to get as much done as possible for next spring.  I had bought 3 raised gardens before I even knew that Square Foot Gardening was.  I have now read Mel's book and will use it extensively for next year. My current garden is starting to produce but I have concerns on watering.  I did install a drip system that works well but I think I am either watering too often, giving it to much at one time or not enough.  I have the system set to water everyday for 15 minutes. So please let me know what I am doing wrong. The leaves on some of the plants are getting yellow edges but also feel hard which makes me feel that it isn't getting enough water. So please let this very newbie know what to do. As additional info that may be imperative to this, my raised garden is also elevated and we used wire and matting instead of wood for the bottom with holes.

cismith54

Female Posts : 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Newbie from Tijeras, NM

Post  camprn on 8/10/2013, 10:54 am

Welcome to the SFG Forum! I have a few questions in regards to your yellowing leaves.
What types of compost did you use in your mix? And how many types of compost did you use>?

At this point I suggest dialing back watering to every other day unless your mix is drying out.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  cismith54 on 8/10/2013, 12:56 pm

Unfortunately I don't remember what kind it was but only one type. I now realize after reading that I should have mixed it up. I am also doing my own compost but it totally is not ready yet. I am on a big learning curve.   The garden was originally in a one piece unit and then I decided to double up and made it 12 inches deep which was wrong at the time but I didn't know it until I read his book. I have also been adding additional ingredients to try to bring the drip irrigation to the top. It is currently about an inch lower than the top of the box which makes the tubes laying improperly. I do plan on breaking it down and making it into two after I have harvested.  So I originally did have the irrigation set for every other day and changed it a couple of days ago when I noticed the yellowing. So I will cut back again to every other day.  Is 15 minutes too much?

cismith54

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 8/10/2013, 1:06 pm

Do you have a copy of the All New Square Foot Gardening book from 2006 or 2013? These are the ones that you need to read. Mel has abandoned his original format for the SFG.

In all likllihood, because you only used one type of compost, your beds are probably running out of nutrients for the plants. Get a variety of composts, mix them together and top dress the beds with an inch or two of the compost blend. Don't be stingy with the compost because that is what is going to feed your plants. Well that and sunlight.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 8/10/2013, 3:19 pm

cismith54,  First, Welcome to the Forum.  glad you\'re here 

I'm also a Newbie to SFG and gardening in general.  This Forum is an excellent support and information site.  Camprn has helped me correct so many of my Newbie mistakes.

Are you in a hot area of NM?  If so, I highly recommend topping the MM with mulch.  I found a source for playground pine chips and it saved all of my plants, in boxes and containers, during the 100+ degree heat wave.  It really cut down on watering.  If I miss a day, no problem.  I read that summer plants like hot heads and cool, but not soggy, roots.  Another mistake I made was putting drip trays under my potted veggies.  The roots got water logged.  Upon recommendations, I removed the trays and topped with mulch.  All of the plants recovered!!  A miracle!

My Mel's Mix only had one source of compost, Kellogg's, so I had to make an emergency additive until I could make some homemade compost.  My plants weren't thriving.  The additive was made from Starbuck's used coffee grounds, kelp meal and worm castings bought off eBay, and screened "composted cow manure."  I added a hand spade full to each square and pot. Another miracle!

SFG is so much fun and so addictive.  Enjoy the journey!  Very Happy

Last edited by sanderson on 8/10/2013, 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added content)

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12274

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cismith54 on 8/10/2013, 6:41 pm

Hi Camprn,

I actually have the 2013 kindle version. I will definitively get a variety of compost and add it in. My cucumbers are really coming along as I have quite a few flowers that recently sprouted on it.  It is the cantaloupe that are now turning brown along the edges in place of yellow. My tomatoes are doing OK I think. I have two flowers on them but no tomatoes as yet.   My peppers were bought with peppers already on them which I think I should not have done.  They are really small and they don't seem to be getting any bigger or bearing any more.  They really get quite a bit of sunlight (8+ hours).  Thanks you so much for sharing.

cismith54

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cismith54 on 8/10/2013, 6:52 pm

Hi Sanderson,

I am about 40 minutes from Albuquerque and am in the mountains really not too hot here. We just moved here in April from Albuquerque so this spring will be a learning curve for me as we have not had a winter here yet. So I will be learning of the slide when it comes to the spring frosts here. Hmmm...I could I my coffee grounds to my compost that is in the process. I really appreciate the advice on this new venture of mine. I am also in the process of creating one just for my grandson. Yes I am really enjoying the forum and it will be a great source for me this coming spring I am sure.

cismith54

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden on 8/10/2013, 6:56 pm

For a quicker fix for right now, you can use some organic vegetable fertilizer.  Also, welcome to the forum cismith54!

Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1628

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Welcome

Post  batmap on 8/11/2013, 2:37 am

Welcome. I am also new to the forum. Southern gardens seem to provide unique challenges to keeping things alive, especially with long dry summer days.

On a side note, these humus wiki & humus page look interesting.

batmap

Male Posts : 70

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:51 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum