Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:36 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:28 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:46 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:43 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 9:41 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan Yesterday at 5:19 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:51 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:48 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by llama momma 12/6/2016, 4:52 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma 12/6/2016, 4:35 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess 12/6/2016, 3:27 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 12/5/2016, 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Help ID this squash, please?

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Help ID this squash, please?

Post  mollyhespra on 8/12/2013, 8:59 pm

Thanks for the well-wishes.  I'll certainly pass those along when I get an update from him.  I know how bad MRSA can be & I am quite worried for him.

On a more positive note, the yellow squash was quite yummy & tasty after being grilled "plain" with just some olive oil for company, so I think "Molly" is a keeper!  

That being said, I think I need to harvest the squash a little earlier than I did & ignore the green tinges on the spines.  (I had been waiting for the whole thing to turn yellow under the assumption that it needed to be all-yellow.)  The seeds were about 3/8" long and still tender, but I think a day or two earlier would have been better.  

So, here's to "Molly" and a speedy recovery for my friend!  

mollyhespra

Female Posts : 800

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 8/12/2013, 9:15 pm

Oh, so glad to hear they're tasty!
Near the end of the season, leaving a few to get as big as can be will get good seeds.......... I can hardly wait!

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 8/12/2013, 9:16 pm

I wonder if you could get away with growing one in a pot and bringing it in in the fall before the frost. I wonder if you could get some seeds that way study

GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  martha on 8/13/2013, 2:57 pm

Best wishes to your friend. You may wish to suggest to him that he either eat yoghurt or take acidophilus while he's on antibiotics. He might be on them for a long, long time. It was seven months for me.

Ok, back to the squash!

martha

Female Posts : 2188

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra on 8/13/2013, 9:59 pm

@GWN wrote:I wonder if you could get away with growing one in a pot and bringing it in in the fall before the frost. I wonder if you could get some seeds that way  study
GWN, if I had known the "importance" of this squash I might have been tempted to plant it in a 5-gal bucket and do as you suggest. I would probably have quickly regretted it, however, being as it's easily 3-foot in diameter and very prickly, LOL!

As it is, it's planted along one edge of a box, so I'm thinking that if push comes to shove, I can make a mini-greenhouse for it, but at the rate these squashes seem to grow (I harvested another one today), I'll get a ripe one well before first frost. That's what I'm hoping for, anyway. happy sunshine 

Martha: Good suggestion about the yogurt. I'll certainly pass that along. thanks 

mollyhespra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden on 8/13/2013, 11:41 pm

I like the name "Molly" and good luck on the  pollination!  I think it will be fun to see how your experiment progresses!  My son says it's name should be "Squish Squash"!

I hope your friend licks that MRSA!  Oh Martha I can't believe it takes so long!

Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1628

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra on 11/14/2013, 11:00 pm

BUMP!

OK, so I have one big, ripe, deep yellow "Molly" squash from which I hope to get seeds.   I'm doing a little experiment to see how long she keeps as a winter squash, so I haven't harvested the actual seeds yet, but if anyone is interested in putting their dibs in for when/if I can get some, PM me!

to funny-looking squash!

mollyhespra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl on 11/16/2013, 11:14 am

Been gone a while, just got up to speed on this squash.  WHAT A BEAUTY!!!  I love garden surprises like that!  I hope you get lots of seeds to give it a go for the new Molly Sqash strain.

GG

GG   geek 

COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra on 5/30/2014, 9:38 pm

BUMP again.  I'm about to mail out seeds to those who got on my list last year & I still have quite a bit of seeds from the saved squash.  She kept very well, actually.  Hard as a rock until a few weeks ago when I noticed a small spot on one side and figured it was time.   Unfortunately, even if I hadn't waited so long, I'm not so sure she'd make for a good winter squash because her insides were very tough & stringy.  BUT she made for good eating as a summer squash.  So, if anyone wants some seeds, PM me.

mollyhespra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra on 7/12/2014, 3:19 pm

BUMP again for an update.

I started 3 plants from the original seedstock and they now have flowers, all male, but at least the females can't be far behind.

I decided against starting any plants from the second generation due to limited space and also because I want to see if any of the original seeds will produce ribbed squashes.  If they do, then I can hand-pollinate those and next year I'll have seeds from two different ribbed squashes to grow out (last and this years').  Which I can use to cross-pollinate each other. 

(I know next to nothing about genetics, so if anyone more knowledgeable can pipe in, I'd sure appreciate it.)

Having said that, this is where my thinking is at: if I call the ribbed squash I got last year an F1, then anyone growing seeds from that generation will have a 3:1 chance of getting ribbed squashes, providing the ribs are a dominant trait.

Beyond that, into generation F3, I'm not sure how it would work out, but let's take this one generation at a time.

I suppose if worse came to worse, then some of us might end up with ribless straightneck squashes (which is what I was supposed to be buying in the first place), either because it's the lonely 1 in 3 in the F2 generation or because not all the original seeds came from the same squash.  I'm hoping they did, since the other original seedling I gave to a friend last year also had ribbed offspring. 

If those of you that I sent seeds to could give an update on which generation seed you're growing out, and if you're seeing ribs, it would sure help keep things going.

mollyhespra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 on 7/12/2014, 4:51 pm

Molly,

So far, the seeds I planted (original) are doing well, and I should see blossoms within the next week or so.  Will send updates as they occur.

donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1925

View user profile http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 7/13/2014, 11:45 pm

I have a very nice healthy plant of the original one growing, no flowers yet.
I have really struggled to get the second year (MOLLY) growing. Mostly through fault of my own, I think
I have tried to sprout them first before putting them in the ground, but somehow each one I have somehow destroyed accidentally before getting them in the ground.  I currently have one that has sprouted and seems to be FINALLY getting off to a good start.
I have unfortunately been away for 5 days, and checking the temps back home,  it has been 95-100 degrees since I left.
I fly home tomorrow and so will give you a more up to date UPDATE.  Smile
Thanks again, I am quite excited about this

GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra on 8/3/2014, 10:49 pm

Update:

Of the 3 original seedstock that I planted, all three germinated within the same time frame give or take a day or two, and had nice healthy true leaves starting to come in when...something ate the top & new leaves clean off of one of the seedlings (the seed leaves weren't eaten, though).

The nibbled stumpy seedling seemed to compensate by growing extra large seed leaves but not much else while it's bretheren continued to grow more and more sets of true leaves.

I was starting to wonder what was going to happen with little "stumpy" when I got a glimpse of the smallest of nubs at the top.  Then a few days later a little tendril.  Then a pair of new leaves!  YAY!!!  Stumpy was going to make it!

Which was good because by then I could see that one of the two other plants clearly did not have ribbed female squash flowers.  Plant #1 turned out to be a plain old "Prolific Yellow Straightneck" (PYS) variety.  RATS!

That left "Stumpy" and one more plant.

That other plant is just as tall as the PYS but has absolutely NO female flowers to speak of.  I've never seen such a thing.  I actually harvested two squashes today from PYS and there's at least 5 more that will be ready this coming week, while mystery plant #2 has a ton of male flowers but not a girl to be seen.

But now...(drumroll, please)...I can announce that:

STUMPY HAS RIBBED SQUASHES!!!  yahoo 

At least, I think so.  I've been holding out on making this announcement for about a week just to be sure.  I tried to take a picture, but the squashlings are so tiny that the little hairs on them actually catch the light and make the image flatten out each time I've tried to photograph them, so you can't see any detail. I'm hoping they'll get big enough during this coming week where I'll be able to post again with 100% certainty. The squashlings are only about an inch long at this point.

BUT there are now more little girl squashes on Stumpy and they all seem to have the same ribby texture to them, so I feel fairly confident in announcing that at least one of my three original seedstock plants has ribbed squash.

I'm such a proud momma.

How is everyone else's squash doing?

mollyhespra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 8/3/2014, 10:54 pm

Oooh. So exciting! I'm saving my seeds for next year as i didn't have a place to sow them earlier in the season.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

camprn

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 8/4/2014, 9:39 am

Hi there
Mine have been VERY slow this year..... except for all the squash in the compost pile and they are HUGE   (next year I am going to plant my squash in the fall in the compost Smile

I have not been able to get one of the second generation past the sprouting stage.... all my own fault.
However I do have one plant that is the original stock and it is just showing its first flowers right now.
So fingers crossed
THIS IS SO EXCITING....

GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 on 8/4/2014, 10:43 am

Mine are growing like weeds, flowering, and there's one small squash so far.  

Unfortunately, I can't yet tell whether it will have ribs.  

Another squash I decided to try this year is Romanesco, which definitely has ribs. Could it be that your seed was a cross between yellow crookneck and this variety?

donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1925

View user profile http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts on 8/4/2014, 2:17 pm

I could use some help.  I planted a bunch of seedlings in the spring and then my father had a quadruple bypass and then I had to plant everything out into the yard in a hurry without transferring the labels etc.  Sooooo, I have no idea what these two squash are.  Can you guys help me identify them and then what is the best use for them?

The two I need to know are the small orange and green pear shaped in the front and then the large ones behind them.  The others are Hubbard Butternut Squash and an acorn squash.

audrey.jeanne.roberts

View user profile http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 8/4/2014, 5:48 pm

I think that the orange one is a potimarron,... do you mean the green one on the far right?

GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts on 8/4/2014, 7:28 pm

• GWNI think that the orange one is a potimarron,... do you mean the green one on the far right?

Potmarron makes sense (the small orange ones) as I bought seeds for those but they didn't have a picture.

The green one is an acorn.

In the back row on the left is a larger variety.  They are literally almost double the size of the front ones.  Their skin is sort of peachy beige with touches of green.  That's the one I have no clue about.

audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra on 8/4/2014, 7:35 pm

Did you by chance keep the seed packets for all the squash you planted? It might be easier to do a process-of-elimination type ID than to be trying to guess. What seeds do you have in your stash?

mollyhespra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts on 8/4/2014, 7:50 pm

That's the first thing I did, but it's not matching up with anything I have on hand so it's either a strange seed that made it into the pack or perhaps a throw back of some of the seeds I had taken from grocery store squash last year.

audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts on 8/4/2014, 8:01 pm

I just had a hunch.  I bought these seeds from Caleb Warnock as a package deal so I hadn't seen what anything looked like before buying them.  

I bought these seeds and I'm wondering if they might be them.  It never occurred to me that they might be a pumpkin because of their color:
http://www.mcssl.com/store/calebwarnock/pumpkins/mormon-winter-pumpkin

audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 8/4/2014, 8:09 pm

@audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:
The two I need to know are the small orange and green pear shaped in the front and then the large ones behind them.  The others are Hubbard Butternut Squash and an acorn squash.

Red Kuri
I do not see a hubbbard squash in your photo, not even the baby type.

Last edited by camprn on 8/4/2014, 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts on 8/4/2014, 8:16 pm

You're right, they are: Squash Waltham Butternut

I was going off of memory and should KNOW BETTER, LOL!  Laughing

audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 8/4/2014, 8:30 pm

I wonder whether the green patches are some sort of blemish and whether any off the same plant do not have the green patches

GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:58 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum