Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Love My Dust Buster
by newbeone Today at 6:33 am

» Does the SFG concept work for perennials?
by AtlantaMarie Today at 6:25 am

» Texas Dream garden 2017
by Kelejan Today at 12:50 am

» Watering
by Kelejan Today at 12:47 am

» Question About Strawberries
by Kelejan Today at 12:35 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JUNE 2017
by Kelejan Today at 12:28 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by RC3291 Today at 12:06 am

» 2017 corn pictures
by countrynaturals Today at 12:02 am

» A really, really Frugal Gardener
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:59 pm

» Cinnamon, Fungus, and Gnats
by Turan Yesterday at 11:28 pm

» Amaranth
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:24 pm

» Poppy seeds - Hungarian Blue Breadseed
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by Fiz Yesterday at 7:31 pm

» New England June 2017
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:30 pm

» N & C Midwest--It is JUNE!!!! Garden Time!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Three Sisters Square Foot garden
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by Robbomb116 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» What to Grow through Very Hot Summers
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 5:08 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 3:17 pm

» Trellis
by newbeone Yesterday at 1:31 pm

» Baby Food
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 12:58 pm

» Pepper argument who's right
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 10:35 am

» Big Bug ?
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:12 am

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:07 am

» New squash in a hurry
by RC3291 6/22/2017, 11:09 pm

» Buzz Pollinators
by yolos 6/22/2017, 9:29 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by AtlantaMarie 6/22/2017, 7:15 pm

» Tomato - Snow Fairy
by quiltbea 6/22/2017, 6:11 pm

» Fall Planting
by newbeone 6/22/2017, 5:26 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Storage Onion Harvest - some tops still green

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Storage Onion Harvest - some tops still green

Post  jack131 on 8/28/2013, 4:40 pm

I have some nearly softball sized red and white storage onions that don't seem to want to quit growning.  They need some encouragement to quit growing so I can get them dried out for winter storage.  I think I read once about knocking over (bending over) the tops to encourage them to stop growing but I'm not sure.  Any ideas would be appreciated.    Thanks    Jack
avatar
jack131

Male Posts : 4
Join date : 2013-08-28
Age : 66
Location : Upstate New York (Ithaca)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Storage Onion Harvest - some tops still green

Post  CapeCoddess on 8/28/2013, 5:13 pm

Yes, I read about knocking over the greens, too.  It may have been under Onions in the ANSFG book.  Check there.

Mine are still green but they don't seem to be growing anymore.  Wish they were.

CC
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6061
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Storage Onion Harvest - some tops still green

Post  camprn on 8/28/2013, 5:19 pm

Jack, how long have they been in the ground and are they a mature size?
If they are still growing and not putting up flower stalks, you still have time to let them grow.

glad you\'re here  to the SFG Forum!

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Storage Onion Harvest - some tops still green

Post  plantoid on 8/28/2013, 6:23 pm

@jack131 wrote:I have some nearly softball sized red and white storage onions that don't seem to want to quit growning.  They need some encouragement to quit growing so I can get them dried out for winter storage.  I think I read once about knocking over (bending over) the tops to encourage them to stop growing but I'm not sure.  Any ideas would be appreciated.    Thanks    Jack
Stop watering them and they should fall over on their own as the bed dries out.

If you break the stem by bending them over you can introduced disease that will affect the storage quality .

Mother nature withdraws the sugars and desiccates the stems naturally when the moisture levels start to drop off so there is less chance of a ruptured cell getting diseased .
avatar
plantoid

Male Posts : 3696
Join date : 2011-11-09
Age : 66

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Storage Onion Harvest - some tops still green

Post  camprn on 8/28/2013, 6:37 pm

@plantoid wrote:
@jack131 wrote:I have some nearly softball sized red and white storage onions that don't seem to want to quit growning.  They need some encouragement to quit growing so I can get them dried out for winter storage.  I think I read once about knocking over (bending over) the tops to encourage them to stop growing but I'm not sure.  Any ideas would be appreciated.    Thanks    Jack
Stop watering them and they should fall over on their own as the bed dries out.

If you break the stem by bending them over you can introduced disease that will affect the storage quality .

Mother nature withdraws the sugars and desiccates the stems naturally when the moisture levels start to drop off so there is less chance of a ruptured cell getting diseased .
+1

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Storage Onion Harvest - some tops still green

Post  jack131 on 8/28/2013, 7:44 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:Yes, I read about knocking over the greens, too.  It may have been under Onions in the ANSFG book.  Check there.

Mine are still green but they don't seem to be growing anymore.  Wish they were.

CC
Thanks - I'll check it out.    Jack
avatar
jack131

Male Posts : 4
Join date : 2013-08-28
Age : 66
Location : Upstate New York (Ithaca)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Storage Onion Harvest - some tops still green

Post  jack131 on 8/28/2013, 7:48 pm

@camprn wrote:Jack, how long have they been in the ground and are they a mature size?
If they are still growing and not putting up flower stalks, you still have time to let them grow.

glad you\'re here  to the SFG Forum!
In years past my onions tops have started to die off by now so I'm getting nervous.  They are softball sized so I think their big enough.  We had a real heavy rain two days ago and two of them look like they exploded open.   Thanks   Jack
avatar
jack131

Male Posts : 4
Join date : 2013-08-28
Age : 66
Location : Upstate New York (Ithaca)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Storage Onion Harvest - some tops still green

Post  jack131 on 8/28/2013, 7:51 pm

@plantoid wrote:
@jack131 wrote:I have some nearly softball sized red and white storage onions that don't seem to want to quit growning.  They need some encouragement to quit growing so I can get them dried out for winter storage.  I think I read once about knocking over (bending over) the tops to encourage them to stop growing but I'm not sure.  Any ideas would be appreciated.    Thanks    Jack
Stop watering them and they should fall over on their own as the bed dries out.

If you break the stem by bending them over you can introduced disease that will affect the storage quality .

Mother nature withdraws the sugars and desiccates the stems naturally when the moisture levels start to drop off so there is less chance of a ruptured cell getting diseased .
I haven't watered since May.  We've had a very wet summer which is really unusual for upstate New York.   I'll be careful if I do try bending them.  I'm also thinking that bending them over will dislodge some of the roots and help them die off.  Thanks   Jack
avatar
jack131

Male Posts : 4
Join date : 2013-08-28
Age : 66
Location : Upstate New York (Ithaca)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Storage Onion Harvest - some tops still green

Post  Triciasgarden on 8/31/2013, 12:19 am

It sounds like you are going to have to somehow keep that rain off if they are going to fall over on their own.  Small umbrellas Smile
avatar
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1628
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 62
Location : Northern Utah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Storage Onion Harvest - some tops still green

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum