Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by sanderson Today at 10:27 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 10:05 pm

» Winter Reading, Anyone?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 9:02 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:49 pm

» Sprouted Onion Question
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:45 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 7:37 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Today at 6:11 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 6:07 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 6:00 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by sanderson Today at 5:58 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Today at 5:49 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by plantoid Today at 5:47 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 5:05 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 4:56 pm

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by llama momma Today at 2:16 pm

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by llama momma Today at 1:59 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by Ginger Blue Today at 1:57 pm

by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:29 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:24 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Today at 2:14 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 12:13 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 7:05 am

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

September 2013, New England

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: September 2013, New England

Post  CapeCoddess on 9/7/2013, 4:41 pm

@sanderson wrote:CG,  Nice score!  Your seaweed is different from what I collected on the California coast.  Plus, yours has shells!  Does it completely break down as unrecognizable compost?

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t16067-has-anyone-made-dried-kelp-meal?highlight=Kelp
Yes, it becomes totally unrecognizable in the compost pile in about a week or 2, depending on the weather. Very Happy But the pile it's in now isn't a compost pile yet...it's just a holding pile waiting for the fall leaves. I'm assuming the brittle horseshoe crab shells will break down in under the 3 weeks that it takes lobster shells to break down. We'll see.

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 9/8/2013, 12:02 am

I'm happy for your score. I may try our kelp and see if it will compost as well. I was told that if I tried to compost it, it would still be recognizable.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12308

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 9/8/2013, 8:46 am

September Garden Chores by Margaret Roach via her Way to Garden blog.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 9/8/2013, 10:47 am

Nice seaweed, CC! It's about a 30 min. or so drive for me to get to the local hot seaweed spot, but I really want to do that. I'd like to pile the beds with seaweed for over-winter decomposition.

Are anyone else's tomatoes being stubbornly green this season? My husband said it's because I didn't water enough this summer. I was pretty sure our water table was fairly high from all the rainy spells we had, but he doesn't think it was enough.

Windy today!

Quiltbea, what do you mean by moving your worm condo to the raised beds? I'm thinking of finally starting a worm bin this winter, I have a spare bedroom now.

I have a bunch of eggplants and even green peppers now (smallish), tons of green tomatoes with a lot of volunteers, and my basket of garlic is just beautiful. My camera broke, I wanted to take a photo of it.

The fortex green beans are always good, but I noticed this year none of them really climbed the trellis, even tho they are a pole bean. Never had them not shoot up a trellis before.

NHGardener

Female Posts : 2298

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 9/8/2013, 11:08 am

NHGardener.....My condo has 3 levels for the worms, each 6" deep with holes in the bottom.  I'm going to set them on up-ended cement blocks, fill them with MM, and use them as raised beds.

Maybe you can picture the idea from this photo with the draining bottom attached to one condo level on legs.
I hope to grow some produce close to my kitchen doorway in the sunny part of the lawn doing this next spring.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 9/8/2013, 11:10 am

NHG, everything is just coming in now, toms, peppers, aubergine....... it was because of the slow start of the warmth this past spring/summer.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

camprn

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 9/8/2013, 11:32 am

Aha. So does that mean you keep the worms in there, or take them out first?

My mother sent me an email of images, you know those forwarded emails, and one was of this beautiful kitchen herb wall. Unfortunately I deleted the email, but now I'm thinking about what a neat idea that is. Anyone thought of doing that?

Scroll down on this one to see ideas:  http://www.myhomerocks.com/2012/03/indoor-herb-gardens-and-salad-walls/

and then this one from pinterest:  http://pinterest.com/pin/96053404523646020/

Dream house ideas.

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 9/8/2013, 11:33 am

@camprn wrote:NHG, everything is just coming in now, toms, peppers, aubergine....... it was because of the slow start of the warmth this past spring/summer.
Aha. Thanks. We had a really long hot spell, but I guess that wasn't enough to make up for lost time. Let's hope we stay warm extra long so everything has time to ripen.

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 9/8/2013, 12:46 pm

@NHGardener wrote:
My mother sent me an email of images, you know those forwarded emails, and one was of this beautiful kitchen herb wall. Unfortunately I deleted the email, but now I'm thinking about what a neat idea that is. Anyone thought of doing that?

Those are beautiful!  I find the upside down ones baffling.  When you water them why they don't drip down and make a mess?  

I don't really have the room in my kitchen so I like to put herbs to dry on a hook in the middle of any door.  They make beautiful decorations.  But the live ones go a few steps from the kitchen into the bay window like this stevia, basil & parsley:
This way I can sit in the recliner and nibble on parsley leaves while reading the sale papers.

As far as veggies taking a long time this year, the only things I have that are staying green so long are the peppers & the tomatillos. I really need those peppers to color up so I know what's what to save seeds.

Look at this cool critter we found in my dead branches critter pile.   I love him!
I've never seen one before. Is it a salamander?

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 9/8/2013, 12:51 pm

Lucky you! You have a spotted salamander neighbor!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotted_salamander

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 9/8/2013, 1:40 pm

Spotted salamanders regenerate! wow! We had one once living in the dirt basement of a house we rented on a lake. That's the only time I've seen one.

cc, sales flyers reading is a sport! Smile Worth getting Sunday paper delivery just for that.

I have a glass hutch w/doors (formica - really beautiful thing - haha) that now I'm thinking I may rig up with fluorescents this winter and try growing some planters of herbs in there. It's right next to the woodstove. Hmm.

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra on 9/10/2013, 10:26 am

Well, it feels like Fall is here to stay; we've lit the woodstove two nights in a row now, and I kept it lit into today because it's so damp & cold & grey outside and inside. 

We actually had a significant frost night before last; it was 28 degrees at 5 AM.  The cars had a good layer of ice on them and I thought I'd lost all my plants because I didn't cover anything (had been doing construction work & was really tired & bla-bla-bla was too lazy to check the forecast).  So when I saw the ice I thought the garden was a gonner. 

BUT...surprise, surprise!  Not a bit of frost damage!  It was amazing.  Not even the squashes.  I'm thinking there must have been enough latent heat in the ground to make a protective bubble over the garden.  So, the plants got spared this time, but I'm under no illusion that the end is drawing nigh and some things just won't have time to ripen.

If it's any consolation about the green peppers, NHG, only one of mine has got any color to it: "Doe Hill" an early variety.  The other bells are as green as can be.

I have been very pleased with a variety of eggplant that actually gave me 5 or 6 softball sized fruits early on even in this challenging a growing season.  I left one on the plant, getting larger and more mature so I can save the seeds.   It's gone from dark purple and shiny to a lighter green ish tone and dull.  Does anyone know how much longer should I wait?  I'm in no rush, just curious to do it right.

The toms have started to mature in the last week or so but the majority are still very unripe.

Does anyone know what to do with unripe tomatillos?  I think between the two plants, I must have more than a hundred lanterns of which only 4 have split their skins and are starting to mature.

And the corn--some of it is just now silking, and that was the popcorn variety.  I don't see how that's going to mature/dry in time.

I think that next year, I'm starting everything two weeks to a month earlier indoors as a hedge against another summer like this.  That and using row covers, cloches, etc. as much as possible.  90 days of frost-free growing time just isn't enuf.

mollyhespra

Female Posts : 800

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 9/10/2013, 10:56 am

I'm thinking Molly we only get half a season up here. It's not fair! Laughing Makes me tempted to pull up roots.

Greenhousing might be an option.

I had a really good eggplant season too. 

Tomorrow it's supposed to be in the low 90s here, we'll see, and nights in the mid 60s, so I wouldn't give up just yet. But yes, fall is right around the corner.

Another option in our short climate is perennials. My garlic did great, the strawberries did great, the asparagus has really bushed out in this first year so that should be coming in a couple years, and I plan on planting potato onions in spring. Certain vegetables also do better than others in our shorter climate - the squash and vines seems to do well if you can outsmart the vine borer, potatoes do fine, green beans and peas do fine. Tomatoes are iffy, you get some, but there are so many left green when the season ends. I haven't had much luck with broccoli, but the lettuces and spinach do well in cool weather. Maybe the answer for a better green pepper crop is a hoop house over the bed.

Any thoughts from anyone about length of season issues?

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo on 9/11/2013, 7:05 am

First time growing onions, sunflowers and popcorn. September is showing the results of these crops.

First few ears of Japanese Hull-less Popcorn

A beautiful fat Sunflower

Braided some of my little onions

lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl on 9/11/2013, 7:21 am

CC - Love the salamander.  See Spot Run!

GG

GG   geek 

COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 9/11/2013, 8:02 am

Beautiful, lyndeloo! Never thought about growing my own popcorn.

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra on 9/11/2013, 9:30 am

Lyndeloo, That's the variety of popcorn I have growing in my sfg also, but I don't think it's going to be ready.  Do you remember how much time passed between silking and harvest for you?

mollyhespra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  martha on 9/11/2013, 12:09 pm

QB, I'm curious - why aren't you going to continue with worms?

And all you folks slightly more North of me......Frost?  Ice?  affraid

martha

Female Posts : 2188

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 9/11/2013, 1:34 pm

What? It's in the 90s here. Can't hear ya.

Laughing

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo on 9/11/2013, 4:30 pm

@mollyhespra wrote:Lyndeloo, That's the variety of popcorn I have growing in my sfg also, but I don't think it's going to be ready.  Do you remember how much time passed between silking and harvest for you?
Its been quite a while for these. Some silked about the time of my other corn, so early July maybe. But they kept on growing taller and more ears appeared. Some plants have 3 small ears on them. They seem to have their own timetable, each plant has grown at a different rate. I've discovered they are ready when the husks dry up. I picked one ear way too early thinking it was ready because the silk had dropped off. Don't give up hope yet!

lyndeeloo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra on 9/11/2013, 9:00 pm

Thanks for the info, Lyndeloo.  I'm just going to leave 'em be then, and see what happens.

That is, if the corn makes it through this crazy weather: quarter-sized hail and 60 mph wind gusts expected come 10 PM.  We're on a watch right now, so I hope we get spared.

Anyone else getting/going to get this storm?

mollyhespra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo on 9/11/2013, 9:20 pm

I hope you are spared the storm mollyhespra! We have a storm watch as well, but they don't really expect us to see it tonight. Tomorrow is supposed to the worst of the thunderstorms in Western Mass. I hope the weather forecasters are wrong and this cool front slides in quietly. It was nearly 100 degrees here today and the humidity was unbearable.

lyndeeloo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 9/11/2013, 9:28 pm

Nothing here in the seacoast region (or at least not yet, I should say, I do see some flashes way off in the distance). I was kind of counting on some rain, hope some comes tomorrow.

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 9/12/2013, 6:54 am

Well that was a wicked hot day that ended with a fantastic tunder and lightning storm!

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra on 9/12/2013, 8:12 am

@lyndeeloo wrote:I hope you are spared the storm mollyhespra!

{snip}
Thanks, Lyndeeloo; your mojo seems to have done the trick!  

No hail, no wind, no damage!  Just a bit of rain.  It must have just missed us because when I went to bed, the forecast called for my town to be in the middle of it, and man did the radar look UGLY! 

@lyndeeloo wrote:We have a storm watch as well, but they don't really expect us to see it tonight. Tomorrow is supposed to the worst of the thunderstorms in Western Mass. I hope the weather forecasters are wrong and this cool front slides in quietly. It was nearly 100 degrees here today and the humidity was unbearable.
Well, I hope that all of you South of me get spared likewise.  Mother Nature sure can get ugly when hot meets cold.  What a week!  First, frost.  Then heatwave.  Then severe weather, now grey and muggy.  OY!

mollyhespra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:12 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum