Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Pesticide use?
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 10:32 pm

» Things You Never Knew Existed Until SFG...
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:55 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:51 pm

» New England June 2017
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:46 pm

» 15 bean soup mix - can the beans be used for planting?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:31 pm

» N & C Midwest--It is JUNE!!!! Garden Time!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:16 pm

» Newbie in North Carolina!
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:57 pm

» Recommendations for balcony plants
by susan35332 Yesterday at 2:49 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 1:20 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JUNE 2017
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 12:33 pm

» Tips for compost tumbler
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 12:33 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» New Green House
by Hoggar Yesterday at 12:28 pm

» to mulch or not to mulch
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:40 am

» Red plastic tomato trays, anyone?
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:19 am

» who has chickens
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:23 am

» Bug Identification
by Robbomb116 Yesterday at 9:17 am

» Coconut Coir
by Jenex Yesterday at 7:58 am

» Hail Damage (Pics) - Am I in Trouble?
by Fiz Yesterday at 7:44 am

» table identity
by llama momma Yesterday at 7:34 am

» update pics
by llama momma Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Pea blight
by cyclonegardener 6/26/2017, 11:38 pm

» Plans for 2017 revisited
by Judy McConnell 6/26/2017, 1:48 pm

» What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow??
by countrynaturals 6/26/2017, 1:13 pm

» It's Kefir Time
by hammock gal 6/26/2017, 12:15 pm

» Does the SFG concept work for perennials?
by Judy McConnell 6/26/2017, 8:30 am

» Questions on vegetable plants that require vertical support
by AtlantaMarie 6/26/2017, 8:10 am

» Baby Food
by sanderson 6/26/2017, 4:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Sun/Shade Issue in Potential Home

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sun/Shade Issue in Potential Home

Post  SchullieRinger on 9/10/2013, 10:47 pm

I am considering purchasing a double-wide mobile home. There are two I am interested in. If I choose the one, I will have plenty of space and sun for a SFG.  But for a number of reasons, I am leaning toward the other one.  This one sits on a diagonal with the back yard toward the West. It is a one-story home.  One of my main reasons for getting out of an apartment is to have some outside space and a small garden.  I am attaching a picture showing how the house is situated (it's the middle house). The gray boxes I drew in show where I could have 4-sq-ft. boxes. The amount of space between the back of the house and the edge of the garden boxes is approx. 15 ft.  As you can see, there is no issue toward the west as it sits against a field. But I'm concerned about the amount of the morning sun I would lose.  From this picture, can anyone tell me how bad the sunlight issue would be in such a setup?  Would it be impossible or very difficult to have a nice SFG here?  It's in NW Ohio, by the way.

Any feedback would be appreciated as I make my decision between the two places.

SchullieRinger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sun/Shade Issue in Potential Home

Post  sanderson on 9/11/2013, 1:06 am

I would kill for that amount of sunlight! No trees, open field . . . Hopefully, others in your area will respond.
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SchullieRinger on 9/11/2013, 1:11 am

Thanks for the reply!  Of course, I cannot go into the open field, that would not be mine.  You don't think that, facing the southwest, I would lose too much of the morning sun from the house and shed?  Do you think I would have good luck with tomatoes and peppers in such a situation, being 15 ft. from the back of the house?  I've had experience with gardens before, but it's always been in a community garden with no shade at all. So, I don't know what I'm in for being on the west side of a small house.  And being able to have a garden, even a small one, will be a dealbreaker for me.
SchullieRinger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 9/11/2013, 6:03 am

Hello SR, I am in central Ohio.  I think the shade from the shed is not an issue at all because very likely it isn't tall enough to throw much north side shade towards the boxes. The morning sun will throw long shadows directly to the west and slightly to the north side of the shed.  Then shorten its length till it reaches noon. Then the west shade will shift towards the east.  My compost heaps sit on the west side of my shed so if I want to work in the shade it's comfortable till about 10:30 a.m. 

The double wide is one story right? My one story ranch on top of a mild slope has varied decorative pitched roof areas.  At first crack of dawn the longest shade to the west is all of 100 feet long.  But it quickly shrinks and is eliminated by 11 am.  I have an attached deck on the west side of my house and I know from scraping and staining it I need to be done again by 11 am to keep from frying in full sun.

Bottom line, I bet you have plenty of sunlight since a veggie garden needs 6 to 8 hours of sunlight. I predict you will have full sun for beds sitting 15 feet from the the house from about 11 a.m. till sunset.  By the middle of June there is sunlight till almost 9:30 p.m.
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4802

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 9/11/2013, 7:01 am

What is normally planted in the field? Reason I ask is that corn can be very tall and maybe shade your back beds. Raising them to tabletops could make a difference though. But otherwise, I think you would be able to grow quite a lot in the planned space without shade issues. I have some of my spring peas/summer beans on a west trellis to purposely provide some shade from the hot west sun on my kale/chard/collard bed. What I like is the clear, no shade southern exposure.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4349

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 9/11/2013, 2:58 pm

Our home is situated exactly like yours, and I can garden only on the west of it, a bit up the side and partially shaded from the southern sun by the house. Additionally, a hill to the west cuts into the sun in the afternoon, leaving us anywhere from perhaps five to six+ hours of afternoon sun per day, depending on the time of the season.

Whatever thrives for me, should thrive better for you, on the whole. I also do some gardening elsewhere, but at this location, in spring and especially summer: tomatoes don't do all that well. They are a bit spindly and slow-growing, and yield sizable but few fruit, as the flowers tend to drop off in their dozens when it's too hot here. It takes a while for them to kick out new rounds of flowers. It's bright and hot enough for lettuce to get bitter and spinach not to grow well or not to sprout at all. Cucumbers do okay, but nothing like the pictures you see of truly healthy gardens. Herbs thrive -- basil, oregano, mint, thyme. Peas may sprout when it's hot, but not usually; they need cooler seasons. Nasturtiums live but don't thrive; marigolds bloom unstoppably. Veronica don't bloom and lavender look sad.

Your exposure should give you the irreplaceable hours of sunlight that no amount of fertilizer, compost, attentive watering, and good gardening can substitute for. I also garden in a neighbor's large yard, which is partially shaded in the morning too, but much less so than my own. Analogous to your situation. Tomatoes thrive there; peppers too. Tomatillos grow in bursts and then quiet down. Squash put out plenty of leaves and flowers. Basil, oregano, and marigolds thrive. Beans love it. I wouldn't dream of planting spring crops or fall crops there until it really is spring or fall; too much summer sun.

The spot you have outlined for beds looks like it will be far enough away from the house that it might actually get some of the morning sun too. But even without it, you should be able to grow most anything you like. Nothing beats a full day of sun for tomatoes, but you'll still grow them fine. If anything, you may have to wonder where to put some of your cool-weather crops.
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 9/11/2013, 4:00 pm

If anything, you may have to wonder where to put some of your cool-weather crops.

+1 Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4349

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SchullieRinger on 9/11/2013, 4:02 pm

Thanks, everyone for all the replies. They have been very helpful!  Lots of decisions to make.
SchullieRinger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality on 9/11/2013, 5:02 pm

If your building is 15 feet high, the shade will come off the bed about 9AM. If it's shorter, earlier, higher a little later. If if something is planted call in the western field, I'd guess those boxes are going to get close to 10 hours of directly sunlight a day.

No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 462

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum