Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 5:17 pm

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by plantoid Today at 5:14 pm

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by plantoid Today at 5:02 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Today at 4:59 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by sanderson Today at 4:35 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Today at 4:29 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Today at 4:25 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Today at 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by sanderson Today at 4:12 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by Kelejan Today at 4:08 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 3:54 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Today at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Today at 2:14 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by trolleydriver Today at 1:37 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Today at 1:26 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by countrynaturals Today at 1:22 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Today at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Today at 12:52 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 10:11 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by AtlantaMarie Today at 5:51 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 5:44 am

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Today at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:23 pm

» Winter's Coming!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 4:52 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:22 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:05 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:15 am

» Greenhouse dreams
by trolleydriver 11/30/2016, 11:18 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

FP: Open bottom SFG box feedback

View previous topic View next topic Go down

FP: Open bottom SFG box feedback

Post  syphlix on 9/12/2013, 11:04 am

Hello everybody,

I've been a long time reader of this forum after reading the book, and will soon finally have the space to plant my own SFG.

This is my plan, and I'm hoping to get some feedback:

• My yard in Austin is all clay and rocky soil - big mix of rocks all the way up to fist size chunks.
  • I'm planning on starting with a single 4x6 or 4x8 box and planting some fall veggies since it's late in the season.
  • I know in the book he talks about no digging, but in the Austin heat I want a box I don't need to water every single day 
  • I'm thinking of digging about 6-8" down, removing the biggest rocks, and replacing w/ compost, and mixing it all up so it's not a straight clay bottom and hopefully w/ some added structure roots can go down there.
  • On top of that I'll add 6" of MM with 3" of pecan shell mulch on top for temp/water control

What do you guys think?  I know it's going to be tough digging into that rocky mess, but at least it's dry and not a big moist clay pit.  Also I wonder about having the clay bottom below the intermediate level - the whole box will have somewhat of a pit below that probably won't let too much water drain through if it rains (not that it rains often here).  Also, the reason I want to dig down a little and use some of the existing dirt as a foundation is because I've read that 6" of mix makes for a lot of watering in the heat here, and 12" of MM is going to start getting pretty expensive!

Thanks!

syphlix

View user profile http://www.mgthomes.com

Back to top Go down

Re: FP: Open bottom SFG box feedback

Post  cheyannarach on 9/12/2013, 12:26 pm

I think it would work just fine! Hope you don't stir up a bunch of dormant weeds though!  I have boxes that are 6 inches and boxes that are 24 inches deep and I just filled the bottom with compost and they have thrived.  The results I have had with MM compared to topsoil are unbelievable!!  Good luck and happy digging!

cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 9/12/2013, 1:50 pm

In the do it yourself section here, there are a few threads featuring people who built self-watering beds. With really lousy or non-existent soil, or in especially hot places, that seems like a neat idea to me. Does that have any appeal to you?

Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 9/12/2013, 3:48 pm

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  syphlix on 9/12/2013, 5:42 pm

Ah thanks for the replies!

I probably won't make a self watering bed since this once is going to be thrown up quickly so I can get some seeds in the ground in the next two weeks.

I will definitely use some sort of filler at the bottom though and have the overall depth be at least 12".  Hopefully by next spring I will have a good amount of homemade compost to amend beds with!

Does rocky clay drain well when it's not compacted into a lump?  Or does it always just hold water?

syphlix

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 9/13/2013, 1:01 am

I was thinking of table top beds.  What do they have underneath? Air.  The bottoms are plywood with drilled holes, one in the center of each square and one in each corner.  Covered with fly screen or weed cloth to keep in the 6" Mel's Mix, and the MM covered with mulch.

So, you could build a 4 x 8' legless table top directly on the sand. Think of it as a bed on cement patio.  Plywood bottom, then screen or weed fabric, wood sides, then MM, and at least 1-2 inches of mulch on top to slow evaporation and keep the mix soft. The vermiculite should help hold moisture in the mix.  The plywood will become wet and slow water loss at the bottom.  My only thought is do you need to drill any holes in the plywood.  I don't think you need to. My motto is KISS.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12224

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rambo on 9/13/2013, 2:17 am

What I did with the bottom plywood( in my case 4" timber butted together) was drill 1" holes in the timber then 1/4" holes in the black plastic sheet covering the 1" hole. This forms a little funnel for the excess water to drain without saturating the timber. The Mels Mix does not escape out of 1/4" holes and it's impossible to over water the box. What does drain, I capture underneath with a tray which empties into a bucket, I then reuse the nutrient rich water on the plants again.

This is obviously different to on ground beds, mine are TT's.

Thanks for the tip on top mulch for the TT's, our weather is hot here and this will help retain the water better.

Rambo

Male Posts : 55

View user profile http://rambos-locker.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 9/13/2013, 2:57 am

syphlix,

I've changed my mind (after all, I am female!). I would drill holes per Mel's instructions. Soggy roots are a killer!

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12224

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TxGramma on 9/13/2013, 12:21 pm

syphlix, I'm in the Houston area so very familiar with the heat that you experience. When we built my beds I decided that I wanted to go with something deeper than 6" for several reasons. 1) Water retention- because of our really hot summers and room for extra thick mulch layer. 2) In doing research on SFG and raised beds I ran across some that had compared 6" beds to deeper beds and found that beds that were 8-12" did better than 6" beds. There plants were healthier, larger, etc and they had less water loss. While this may not be the case for everyone it was enough, considering our weather for me to opt for deeper beds. I ended up deciding on going with 10" deep beds and I love them. I have about 2" of mulch on the beds, was going to go 3 or maybe 4" but we filled the beds with MM a little more than we had to and so didn't have as much room when it settled as I had planned on. But it has held water nicely. I have actually been able to water my beds once a week or less if we got rain, after adding the mulch, in the heat of the summer. Before I mulched the beds earlier in the summer I was having to water twice a week and that was before the temps got very high. And my beds are on the ground with no bottoms and no weed cloth.

TxGramma

Female Posts : 199

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 9/13/2013, 3:24 pm

What does FP stand for. It is annoying that I do not know this and cannot figure it out. It would be much easier if it was English.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  martha on 9/13/2013, 11:34 pm

Food Politics. It's called Food Business, now, but I do believe Politics was its original name.

martha

Female Posts : 2188

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 9/14/2013, 12:04 am

Feedback Please thinking  ?

(It was never Food Politics.)

boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  martha on 9/15/2013, 1:14 pm

Oh, fine, Boffer. Just shoot me down. My self esteem is now in tatters on the floor, and I may never recover. Sniff.

martha

Female Posts : 2188

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  syphlix on 9/16/2013, 8:34 pm

Hah - it was supposed to be First Post (not sure why I put that in the title)

I think I will go with the 12 inch box w/ no dig.

For filler at the bottom of the box, would a mulch/compost mix be a bad idea?  I need something easy to come by that doesn't cost too much!

syphlix

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 9/17/2013, 7:03 am

Yes, compost is a great filler for the bottom of the boxes. Also, because of your location, you may want to leave room for a nice thick layer of mulch to protect your plant's roots.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 9/17/2013, 6:20 pm

Perhaps put some six inch tall sides around them there clay pits your digging & fill them with well trodden down /compacted wet straw.

Then then put your six inches of MM on top over several layers of broad sheet news papers.

As the straw decomposes it will give a bit of compost but it will also make for a real good water retaining bed /mat that helps the MM stay moist and feed the plants. , any plants that grow down through the paper will be able to take up any nutrients released out of the clay .

Clay being fine broken down rocks & well decayed pant mater of many years gone by  tends to have most nutrients needed for plant growth , it is the water absorption or the lack of water that causes the problems .

plantoid

Male Posts : 3634

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:23 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum