Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Plantoid' s going into hospital ....
by trolleydriver Today at 9:21 am

» Mid-South: October 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:21 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 9:04 am

» Hello from San Antonio, Tx.
by newbeone Today at 8:38 am

» Senseless Banter...
by plantoid Today at 7:08 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 3:05 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 10:05 pm

» N&C Midwest: September 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:41 pm

» In between
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:25 pm

» Tomato Mystery Mix
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:26 am

» Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 11:03 am

» newbeone
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 8:59 am

» The Research Journey:free-The Gardener’s Guide TO PERFECT GARDEN SOIL
by has55 Yesterday at 6:40 am

» parsnips in square foot garden?
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:57 am

» The SFG Journey-Cover crops
by jimmy cee 9/27/2016, 9:45 pm

» Oh no! My hibiscus moscheutos plant has some roots exposed!
by RJARPCGP 9/27/2016, 9:37 pm

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG
by Mimi2 9/27/2016, 8:12 pm

» New England September 2016
by sanderson 9/27/2016, 7:50 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by sanderson 9/27/2016, 2:57 pm

» Compost
by camprn 9/27/2016, 8:13 am

» Hand Pollination ?
by camprn 9/27/2016, 8:11 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by Scorpio Rising 9/26/2016, 8:33 pm

» The Research Journey:SELF-WATERING SALAD GARDEN COURSE
by has55 9/26/2016, 6:58 pm

» Admin back! Classic cars
by AtlantaMarie 9/26/2016, 5:38 pm

» Kale & Parsnip Question
by countrynaturals 9/26/2016, 3:09 pm

» compost thermometer
by sanderson 9/26/2016, 1:58 pm

» EXPERIMENT: Tomatoes to Powder
by trolleydriver 9/26/2016, 11:00 am

» The Research Journey:what to plant now, fall gardening in Dallas-Ft worth
by sanderson 9/25/2016, 9:55 pm

» Medical Topic...may be helpful to some folk....
by sanderson 9/25/2016, 9:50 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Does anyone plant with snow approaching?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Does anyone plant with snow approaching?

Post  Marc Iverson on 10/27/2013, 2:22 am

Is the approaching onset of winter something anyone dares challenge? Does anyone plant anything with snow approaching?

I'm waiting to plant my garlic until the first snow. You read something different everywhere you look for almost every vegetable, it seems, but I like the logic behind the idea of planting garlic late enough that it grows just a bit and establishes roots, but not so much that it puts out too much else that could get hurt by winter. Right or wrong, that's what I'll go with in this, my first try at garlic. All advice to the contrary, sooner or later you've got to try something, right?

Are there any other winter-hardy crops that anyone is planting either for spring harvest or, much more amazingly, for winter harvest? Whether under row cover, in the greenhouse, under a cloche, or some combination of all of the above, or not?

Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Does anyone plant with snow approaching?

Post  donnainzone5 on 10/27/2013, 12:17 pm

Marc,

I share much of your uncertainty about planting now. However, last year I planted garlic and onions on October 15, and they did well, especially the garlic. I kept that bed covered in my hoop house, except during warmer days.

I'm just planting those crops now, with snow in the forecast tonight and possibly tomorrow.

The Master Gardener at the local nursery assures me, much to my amazement, that I can still plant winter crops--spinach, lettuce, peas, broccoli, etc.--from seed if I keep them covered. I guess this winter will be another experiment....

donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1861

View user profile http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 10/27/2013, 5:25 pm

That is kind of surprising, donnain. Maybe I should experiment with some mache, then. I do have some spare space in a bed I was going to cover up anyway.

Marc Iverson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 10/27/2013, 7:54 pm

Donna what your MG should have also said that growing from seed for winter crops will depend very much on the temperature available to germinate the seeds .

What does work in many places around the world  is to get mini 1 & 1/2" seed pots then germinate and grow your seedlings indoors in the pots to a decent size  then harden off & transplant out in to a reasonable frost free place , then use a cold frame to take the worst of any frost off.

plantoid

Male Posts : 3595

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 on 10/27/2013, 8:08 pm

That's why I was skeptical about the advice I received. My own thoughts were similar to yours, Plantoid.

Nevertheless, I went out in the rain today and planted some greens. We should get an inch or so of snow tonight/tomorrow morning.

I can always start more seeds indoors....

donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1861

View user profile http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 10/27/2013, 10:18 pm

Hardening off a baby transplant that is going to go into real winter conditions sounds like it would be hard to do. I really would like some winter greens, though, and my fall planting attempts seem to have stalled. Might as well try.

Marc Iverson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pryz123 on 10/28/2013, 3:24 am

I to have been looking into how far into winter I can grow greens and other vegetables.

Last year I had carrots in my garden covered with leaves that made it threw winter. I did dig up the last of them in February though.  I also had spinach go threw winter uncovered, but I didn't get much. This year I made some hoop houses and I'm experimenting in them. 

pryz123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 10/28/2013, 3:55 pm

I'm going to cover my spinach today, and brussels sprouts, as tonight it is supposed to get not quite freezing, but in the low 30s. I hope the covers will make enough of a difference that I'll actually get some real winter production. The crops I've planted this fall didn't produce enough to nourish an ant. 60 pea plants grew nicely, but not a blossom among them, and only three pods since August.

A consolation is that a guy at the farmers market told me whatever I plant now should have a huge leap on normal spring plantings, giving me very early crops next season.

Good luck with your hoop houses, pryz123. I'm going to make two of them today too, one square and one rectangular.

Marc Iverson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pryz123 on 10/28/2013, 4:49 pm

Thank you, and good luck to you too. The hoop houses that I made were so easy to make. hope yours go together as easy as mine did. Very Happy

pryz123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 10/28/2013, 5:14 pm

@Marc Iverson wrote:Hardening off a baby transplant that is going to go into real winter conditions sounds like it would be hard to do.  I really would like some winter greens, though, and my fall planting attempts seem to have stalled.  Might as well try.
Not so hard .
 Put it in a garage in a plastic bag about three feet above a lit  8 hr candle in a glass jar or sit them on a garage window sill with the several  lit candles in a glass jars  .

When the candles go out leave well alone the plants will adjust to the cold better than you think so long as it is a wintering plant ..

Obviously when doing this do make sure there are no flammable materials in the vicinity or volatile fumes present .

If you don't like the idea of candles us a small electric fan heater and gradually turn the heat down over 48 hrs. as well as moving away from the plants .

plantoid

Male Posts : 3595

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 10/28/2013, 6:13 pm

Like Quiltbea, who posted in the New England forum, I'm going to sow some seed after I winter prep the beds. Garlic of course, leek transplants, spinach, maybe some lettuce and radish. I will put up the hoops in anticipation of spring and just apply the cover when the day's sunlight gets a bit longer and the sun rides a bit higher in the sky. Round about the end of March, by my reckoning.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13981

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 10/28/2013, 11:36 pm

@plantoid wrote:
@Marc Iverson wrote:Hardening off a baby transplant that is going to go into real winter conditions sounds like it would be hard to do.  I really would like some winter greens, though, and my fall planting attempts seem to have stalled.  Might as well try.
Not so hard .
 Put it in a garage in a plastic bag about three feet above a lit  8 hr candle in a glass jar or sit them on a garage window sill with the several  lit candles in a glass jars  .

When the candles go out leave well alone the plants will adjust to the cold better than you think so long as it is a wintering plant ..

Obviously when doing this do make sure there are no flammable materials in the vicinity or volatile fumes present .

If you don't like the idea of candles us a small electric fan heater and gradually turn the heat down over 48 hrs. as well as moving away from the plants .
Wow that sounds like winter plants are a lot easier to acclimate than summer plants. Thanks for the tips!

Marc Iverson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 10/29/2013, 6:57 am

A key question is what is the winter weather like where you want to grow the plants. For my area, nothing will grow without a heated greenhouse during the months of December through April.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13981

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach on 10/29/2013, 11:01 am

I did finally get my shallots and garlic planted last week. I am is the same boat as Camprn only longer of a season as far as things not growing in the winter. I have tried with my Plant Inn to grow lettuce and spinach in the winter but it grows soooo slow it's hardly worth the effort. Another thing I have heard of people using for a little heat in their hoop houses is a string of Christmas lights. Good luck to you!

cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden on 10/31/2013, 9:09 pm

A few years ago I had lettuce that had gone to seed in the fall and I didn't get it pulled out.  In the late winter/early spring I had a dense area of lettuce growing.  The wind had spread them around a bit and the area was at least two feet wide and a bit longer.  I would thin out the lettuce and eat the thinnings.  Over time I had some nice bunches of lettuce.  It was inadvertant but it was fun to have such an early crop without the work.

There are a lot of people on this forum who plant their garlic around this time to go through the winter.

Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1628

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 10/31/2013, 10:37 pm

Just finished this bed #4, since the outside squares are less than a foot I decided to plant my garlic's there.
40 cloves of garlic should keep me next year.
Down at the far end I planted 32 shalllot bulbs. Will watch and photo as growth progresses....(hopefully)

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 1803

View user profile http://www.jcjigs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden on 10/31/2013, 10:46 pm

That looks and sounds so nice Jimmy!  I also like the idea of attaching your grid to the bricks!

Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1628

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 11/1/2013, 7:35 am

Tricia
The brick connection keeps everything tight, I'm naming it a floating grid.
Maybe I can patent it...Very Happy

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 1803

View user profile http://www.jcjigs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 11/3/2013, 4:35 pm

I soaked some mache (lamb's quarters/corn salad -- why does this dang thing have so many names?) overnight and planted it in a big pot I had grown a tomato in this year. It gets some sun but not a ton, like everywhere around my place. I'm hoping it's a success, as I love fresh greens and this plant is supposed to be extremely winter-friendly.

My other stuff is coming along, but quite slowly. I may be able to get a few leaves from my mezsclun(sp?) mix over the winter, but it looks like most everything is content to just sit the winter season out. Nothing's dying, but nothing's really growing either.

I'm hoping for early lettuce, kale, peas, and spinach big-time! In the meantime, I'll have to content myself by starting up home-grown sprouts again.

Marc Iverson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 11/3/2013, 8:39 pm

Ditto on the lack of sun right now.  In the photo, the sun is on the right side, other side of the fence.  The high plastic is reflecting some sun light down on the lower plants. Dang the neighbor's evergreen trees.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 11695

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 11/3/2013, 8:48 pm

I still love trees. But now that I'm gardening ... a little bit less.

Marc Iverson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 11/3/2013, 9:53 pm

I know what you mean! Very Happy  These beds receive full sun from March to September, spring to fall equinoxes.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 11695

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:50 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum