Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sweet Potatoes
by sanderson Today at 3:19 am

» What's Up? Yukon gold potatoes!
by sanderson Today at 3:15 am

» CarbSmart (tm) Potatoes
by countrynaturals Today at 3:09 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by countrynaturals Today at 3:04 am

» jalapeno variety question?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:12 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:35 pm

» New Composter - Need Help Filling Correctly
by saganco Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 5:08 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 5:02 pm

» Tomato Questions
by brianj555 Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» December Avatar: 'Tis The Season!
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:29 pm

» The Research Journey:cardboard covering of newly planted seeds
by saganco Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» Areogardening
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 12:58 pm

» Garden Clean-Up/Preparation
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 12:18 pm

» Sauerkraut & fermenting veggies
by sanderson 12/11/2017, 9:41 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan 12/11/2017, 6:39 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 12/11/2017, 2:40 pm

» Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing
by countrynaturals 12/11/2017, 11:44 am

» New England December 2017
by Scorpio Rising 12/10/2017, 10:45 pm

» Mushroom in my lettuce!
by Scorpio Rising 12/10/2017, 10:40 pm

» 5-BOOK BUNDLE GIVEAWAY - ENDS 12/1/17
by No_Such_Reality 12/10/2017, 4:15 pm

» N&C MW; Deep Winter December/January 2017-2018
by Scorpio Rising 12/10/2017, 1:36 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals 12/10/2017, 1:24 pm

» Spring Fever Anyone?
by brianj555 12/10/2017, 12:50 pm

» WARNING! Please Read! (Especially Grandparents)
by Scorpio Rising 12/9/2017, 8:53 pm

» Mid-South: December 2017
by brianj555 12/9/2017, 7:29 pm

» The start of the New Garden
by brianj555 12/9/2017, 1:35 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by countrynaturals 12/8/2017, 6:26 pm

» First Year Square Foot Gardening in Zone 9 South Mississippi
by CapeCoddess 12/8/2017, 3:09 pm

» A compost calculator
by kygardener 12/8/2017, 1:34 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 11/19/2017, 11:14 am

Yes, thanks! Glue makes sense. I wondered if it was some sort of pre-manufactured item.

I'm still using PVC, I haven't had a problem with it yet - BUT the oldest one has only been out about a year and a half. And I think mine get less UV exposure in PA than yours would in TX? Once I move, I might switch to the metal.

I've been using mostly Agribon/AgFabric to protect my beds. It's pricey, but I found a good deal on a length I guess the company was phasing out and wanted to be rid of. I add plastic over the top of that if it gets down to 15*F (-9.5*C) or below, and flip it/clip it to a half-on/half-off position when it's going to be too warm (40*F (4.5*C) and sunny.) So if the temperature is going to hang out between the two I just leave the beds whichever way they already are. There aren't too many days where both above 40 and below 15 happen, so while ventilators might be nice, they aren't a necessity for me here/now. I still appreciate having your photos available to help me make it happen when I am ready for that (and doors instead of slapping.) 

I like the snap clamps, but only when I won't need to move it for a few months. I find them difficult to get on and off, and at least one has chipped, I guess due to UV/weather exposure. Mine are white, it looks like yours are green? I got mine off amazon; I don't think there are any stores near me that sell them. Where did you get yours?

In addition to the snap clamps I use an assortment of DollarStore blue/white laundry clips, clothespins, 1" binder clips, and Walmart spring clamps. None of them works best for everything, but a mix seems to do what I need.

I've had to use the plastic pipe clamping 'tape' (strip of plastic with holes in it) to secure one of my hoops to the bed. I'll probably have to do more, my yard gets nasty wind sometimes, and my hoop houses blew off the beds a few times last year.
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1323

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 11/24/2017, 6:11 am

@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
I like the snap clamps, but only when I won't need to move it for a few months. I find them difficult to get on and off, and at least one has chipped, I guess due to UV/weather exposure. Mine are white, it looks like yours are green? I got mine off amazon; I don't think there are any stores near me that sell them. Where did you get yours?

Your're right!!! They are hard to get off. a great product, maybe too great. I get my snap clams from here- Circo Innovations, Inc. I used the hard white  and green snap clamps. the green cost more, but at more resistant to UV rays. I also used the softer, more flexible white snap clamps. easier to pull of, but not for windy area. They also offer a grip clamps that fit over a regular snap clamp. grip clamps
On page 2 of this thread I posted my solution in assisting me with getting those snap clamps off easily. It works well. My wife can do it. You may come up with a better idea. I'm reposting those pictures here. I hope this helpful.
it not working.  I'm at work and having trouble posting the pictures. I will try here, if you don't see them, just go to page 2.
has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 11/24/2017, 6:26 am

has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 11/25/2017, 7:44 pm

I forgot to say I was using scraps to make the handles. simple black tubing should work or 1" to 3" long PVC pipe that's cut from a 10 ft long piece( preferred). Once it was done, it stays in place. You will need fast hot glue like christy blue glue from a hardware store. Lowes has it. This prevents it from sliding off to the right or left due to gravity. I hold it about 15 -30 seconds, then let it really cure for 1 hr. probably overkill, the glue set fast. now the clips will pull off fast and easy, but maintained their strong holding power. An awesome invention. I presented this idea to snap clamp and they are considering it in future design.
has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum