Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A really, really Frugal Gardener
by CapeCoddess Today at 2:22 pm

» Ground Cherries
by Ginger Blue Today at 2:19 pm

» New England February 2017
by CapeCoddess Today at 1:45 pm

» My experiences with commercial cedar raised beds
by Judy McConnell Today at 1:19 pm

» My Solar Dehydrator at Work
by newbeone Today at 9:43 am

» Spaghetti Squash Recipes
by newbeone Today at 9:20 am

» New compost bin and 4x8 cedar bed
by newbeone Today at 8:29 am

» Invasive Tree Roots - Very important topic for newbies.
by walshevak Today at 7:27 am

» N&C Midwest: February 2017
by CitizenKate Today at 12:19 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:49 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 8:10 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 6:54 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 4:43 pm

» So. California & Inland Valleys -March / April Planting Guide
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:47 am

» 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC
by ralitaco Yesterday at 12:38 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:31 am

» Our 2017 garden makeover
by CitizenKate 2/22/2017, 11:16 pm

» Fall means apples....
by reynajrainwater 2/22/2017, 10:43 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing February 2017?
by Scorpio Rising 2/22/2017, 9:51 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 2/22/2017, 7:08 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 2/22/2017, 6:40 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Mellen 2/22/2017, 6:37 pm

» Root Knot Nematodes - PROGRESS!
by sanderson 2/22/2017, 1:48 pm

» Plant ID
by No_Such_Reality 2/21/2017, 8:24 pm

» Western Mount/High Plains: Seed Planting Dates zone 5b
by RoOsTeR 2/21/2017, 8:58 am

» I'll get my Texas garden right yet
by RoOsTeR 2/21/2017, 8:57 am

» Roots...information....
by MrBooker 2/21/2017, 6:19 am

» Is this wood correct for building box?
by sanderson 2/21/2017, 4:42 am

» Hello from IA Zone 5
by sanderson 2/21/2017, 4:38 am

» Feedback for my 2017 garden plan
by sanderson 2/21/2017, 2:10 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

need some help - seed starting dates

View previous topic View next topic Go down

need some help - seed starting dates

Post  landarch on 12/9/2013, 11:50 pm

I am planning indoor seed starting dates for next year and I need some help determining dates for my area.

I am looking to do cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower for the spring garden.  Tomatoes and peppers for the summer.  Then cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower again for the fall garden.

I called the local extension service and didn't get any great info...and I get mixed info from other sources.  For example, cabbage, a seed packet recommends starting seeds indoors 4-5 weeks before average last frost (April 15% in the KC area)...and Mels book recommends 12 weeks before average last frost.

Any thoughts?  I can go back and check electronic dates on my tomato and pepper seedling pics from last year (timing worked out well), but am stumped on start dates for early and late cole crops.

landarch

Posts : 1125
Join date : 2012-01-22
Location : kansas city

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: need some help - seed starting dates

Post  camprn on 12/10/2013, 7:18 am

Try plant maps and myfolia.com.

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books




camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14076
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: need some help - seed starting dates

Post  jmsieglaff on 12/10/2013, 10:14 am

Since you know your average last frost date you'll probably find this useful:

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/e-PDGSeedStart.aspx

jmsieglaff

Male Posts : 253
Join date : 2012-04-15
Age : 35
Location : S. WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: need some help - seed starting dates

Post  slimbolen99 on 12/10/2013, 11:13 am

That's a great link jmsieglaff.  Thanks for sharing.

slimbolen99

Posts : 185
Join date : 2013-01-15
Location : Shawnee, KS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: need some help - seed starting dates

Post  plantoid on 12/10/2013, 11:59 am

@landarch wrote:I am planning indoor seed starting dates for next year and I need some help determining dates for my area.

I am looking to do cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower for the spring garden.  Tomatoes and peppers for the summer.  Then cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower again for the fall garden.

I called the local extension service and didn't get any great info...and I get mixed info from other sources.  For example, cabbage, a seed packet recommends starting seeds indoors 4-5 weeks before average last frost (April 15% in the KC area)...and Mels book recommends 12 weeks before average last frost.

Any thoughts?  I can go back and check electronic dates on my tomato and pepper seedling pics from last year (timing worked out well), but am stumped on start dates for early and late cole crops.

 Landlarch  , 
 Sometimes we forget what we have already got .

If you have the ANSFG book shown in my strap lines , at the back are the all important lists /charts where someone ( MEL??) has done all the donkey work for you .. simply find the one that shows planting and sowing times and put your frost dates in then you'll have your own personal calendar

plantoid

Male Posts : 3663
Join date : 2011-11-09
Age : 66

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: need some help - seed starting dates

Post  landarch on 12/10/2013, 1:02 pm

jmsieglaff...thanks for the info.  It looks like cole crops (broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower) are to be started indoors 4-6 weeks before average last frost.

I'll need to call some local growers to see about seed starting dates for the fall garden...probably sometime in early July...then it's the challenge of setting the plants out in the mid-July heat.

landarch

Posts : 1125
Join date : 2012-01-22
Location : kansas city

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: need some help - seed starting dates

Post  jmsieglaff on 12/10/2013, 1:17 pm

No problem, but I think you've read the titles on the table wrong.  It is "Number of weeks to start seeds before setting-out date", for something like cabbage they suggest setting out 4 weeks before last frost date.  So you're looking at 8-10 weeks before last frost date for starting the seeds indoors.  I usually start my broccoli in early-mid March indoors with a goal of planting it out in mid/late April here in southern Wisconsin.

jmsieglaff

Male Posts : 253
Join date : 2012-04-15
Age : 35
Location : S. WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: need some help - seed starting dates

Post  camprn on 12/10/2013, 1:24 pm

@jmsieglaff wrote:No problem, but I think you've read the titles on the table wrong.  It is "Number of weeks to start seeds before setting-out date", for something like cabbage they suggest setting out 4 weeks before last frost date.  So you're looking at 8-10 weeks before last frost date for starting the seeds indoors.  I usually start my broccoli in early-mid March indoors with a goal of planting it out in mid/late April here in southern Wisconsin.
+ 1

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books




camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14076
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: need some help - seed starting dates

Post  landarch on 12/10/2013, 9:19 pm

good catch, I read the table wrong...so, it looks like the 3rd and 4th columns give the actual dates to start indoors.  Holy cow, cabbage is to be started indoors as soon as Feb 4th.

landarch

Posts : 1125
Join date : 2012-01-22
Location : kansas city

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: need some help - seed starting dates

Post  sanderson on 12/11/2013, 2:08 pm

Good grief!  Here I am, finally getting the back yard cleaned up after 10 months of Newbie gardening, and it's only 6-7 weeks until starting some seedlings for 2014!!!  Shocked 

I think the first year is the hardest, with the subsequent years as the reward.   bounce

sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 12898
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: need some help - seed starting dates

Post  camprn on 12/11/2013, 4:41 pm

@sanderson wrote:Good grief!  Here I am, finally getting the back yard cleaned up after 10 months of Newbie gardening, and it's only 6-7 weeks until starting some seedlings for 2014!!!  Shocked 

I think the first year is the hardest, with the subsequent years as the reward.   bounce
There surely is a rhythm to gardening that one gets to know through experience.

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books




camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14076
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: need some help - seed starting dates

Post  plantoid on 12/11/2013, 5:41 pm

Yep that rhythm of the garden is great ..
I have to use lists from Mel's books nowadays as it appears that Alzheimer's is slowly affecting the neck top computer data storage device , it's no longer Flash card or hard drive ..some days I wonder if it's even plugged in .  Laughing Laughing 

plantoid

Male Posts : 3663
Join date : 2011-11-09
Age : 66

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: need some help - seed starting dates

Post  Goosegirl on 12/11/2013, 6:17 pm

@plantoid wrote:Yep that rhythm of the garden is great ..
I have to use lists  from Mel's books nowadays as it appears that Alzheimer's is slowly affecting the neck top computer data storage device , it's no longer Flash card or hard drive ..some days I wonder if it's even plugged in .  Laughing Laughing 

 lol! 

GG

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3408
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 52
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: need some help - seed starting dates

Post  sanderson on 12/11/2013, 11:06 pm

@Goosegirl wrote:
@plantoid wrote:Yep that rhythm of the garden is great ..
I have to use lists  from Mel's books nowadays as it appears that Alzheimer's is slowly affecting the neck top computer data storage device , it's no longer Flash card or hard drive ..some days I wonder if it's even plugged in .  Laughing Laughing 

 lol! 

GG

 lol! 

sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 12898
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: need some help - seed starting dates

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum