Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» compost thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 1:10 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 1:06 pm

» mulching
by dstack Today at 12:27 pm

» New England September 2016
by CapeCoddess Today at 12:12 pm

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by Cajun Cappy Today at 11:45 am

» Plantoid' s going into hospital ....
by Kelejan Today at 11:42 am

» Mid-Atl - Oct 2016 - Fall Garden 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 9:32 am

» Medical Topic...may be helpful to some folk....
by jimmy cee Today at 9:03 am

» Another item for composting.
by jimmy cee Today at 8:20 am

» When is a great time to start a garden? The Fall!
by MrBooker Today at 6:05 am

» The Research Journey:what to plant now, fall gardening in Dallas-Ft worth
by has55 Today at 3:21 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by Kelejan Today at 12:22 am

» N&C Midwest: September 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:05 pm

» NEW ENGLAND OCT 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:02 pm

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG
by Turan Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» leggy potatoes plants were started too early in the hous
by sanderson Yesterday at 8:31 pm

» EXPERIMENT: Tomatoes to Powder
by llama momma Yesterday at 1:58 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Kelejan Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:08 am

» Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh!
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:03 am

» Mix for making soil blocks
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 7:54 am

» soil testing
by Kelejan 9/23/2016, 9:26 pm

» Kale Question
by countrynaturals 9/23/2016, 9:15 pm

» Terrible News: Bumblebees In Trouble
by Scorpio Rising 9/23/2016, 8:51 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by Scorpio Rising 9/23/2016, 8:49 pm

» A traditional German dish with a Fall twist.
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 6:38 pm

» Apparently Radishes Need Sun
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 6:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 6:22 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 5:49 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by trolleydriver 9/22/2016, 8:27 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

2014 seed list

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2014 seed list

Post  jmsieglaff on 1/4/2014, 4:33 pm

So it's still 4 weeks or so away from starting my onion seeds, but I've got all but 2 packets of seeds I'm planning on growing in 2014 (combination of new packets and leftovers).  Here's my list, anyone see a favorite?

Tomato:  Sungold, Black Krim, Celebrity, Wisconsin 55, Golden Monarch, Purple Bumble Bee
Sweet Pepper:  Yummy Mix Mini Bell, King of the North Bell
Hot Pepper:  Serrano, Fish Pepper
Tomatillo:  Toma Verde
Lettuce:  Buttercrunch, Baby Green Oak Leaf, Red Romaine, Bronze Beauty, Flashy Butter Oak
Spinach: Space
Radish:  Champion and Rover
Cucumber:  Telegraph Improved
Summer Squash:  Lemon and Tatume
Pea:  Super Sugar Snap
Bush Bean:  Dragon Tongue and Blue Lake 274
Zucchini:  Green Bush
Carrot:  Calliope Blend
Garlic:  Chesnok Red and unknown softneck
Onions:  Copra
Broccoli:  Apollo, Asparabroc, and Purple Summer Sprouting
Misc:  Arugula, Corn Salad
Sweet Potato:  Patriot
Marigold:  Mowgli Bicolour
Herbs:  Thyme, rosemary, flat leaf parsley, cilantro, and summer savory
Might try one plant of Clemson Spikeless Okra (want to see if we'd like it grilled, someone at work suggested that method for cooking it)

jmsieglaff

Male Posts : 253

View user profile

Back to top Go down

2014 Seed List

Post  VJ72584 on 1/4/2014, 7:08 pm

I am impressed. I have looked at a seed catalog and some things online. I only have 2 - 4 x 8 boxes, but I really could lay out the squares and dream of warmer weather.

The idea of grilling okra is new to me. Here in the south it is usually fried or put into soup. And sometimes pickled. Has anyone else tried grilling?

VJ72584

Female Posts : 88

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 seed list

Post  jmsieglaff on 1/19/2014, 9:54 am

I'll post back if we do a plant and grill it. I enjoy it fried @ BBQ joints when I'm in Oklahoma for work.

jmsieglaff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TxGramma on 1/19/2014, 12:02 pm

I haven't tried grilling okra but I have eat it just about every other way you can cook it...fried-yum!, in gumbo and soups, added in a pot of butter beans and crowder peas, stewed with tomatoes. But I have to say that our new favorite way to eat it now is roasted. It is so good so I'm sure grilling it would be good to. We drizzle it with olive oil and then add whatever seasonings that you like, sometimes we go spicy and sometimes not, just depends on what we are having with it.

Nice list btw, looks like a you are set to go for 2014!  good job!

TxGramma

Female Posts : 199

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 1/19/2014, 1:43 pm

I planted one plant and got a single okra!!  Embarassed  I'm going to try 2 plants and see if I can get 2 okra this summer.  bounce  Only for DH

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 11662

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 1/19/2014, 2:28 pm

jms....I see a few on your list that I like; Sungold and Celebrity toms, Buttercrunch, Red Romaine and Oak Leaf lettuces, Apollo broccoli plus Arugula, and herbs Thyme, Rosemary, and Flat-leaf Parsley.  But the one I'll comment on is Super Sugar Snap peas.  They are superb.  I ate them all summer long, off the vine, and snacking in the evenings.  Everyone in the family just loved them.  Better than candy.

Unlike you, I can't make up my mind about what I'm growing this year.  I'm cutting down on the veggies (health reasons only) and making some hard choices this year.  I doubt I'll have a final list til they are actually growing in my beds but I'd really like to try Campari tomatoes.  Does anyone have any seed to share?  I have several great varieties I can swap with you.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4610

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 1/19/2014, 5:32 pm

I haven't been at this long enough to develop many favorites, but I've grown sungold tomatoes for three years and they were always productive and good. My neighbor who plants them in very rich soil full of compost gets them to taste so great they ascend to another level of deliciousness. They don't have that certain wild savoriness some rare cherry tomatoes have, being more on the sweet side, but they haven't been cloyingly sweet and at their best they develop rich and complex flavor.

Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff on 1/19/2014, 5:40 pm

@sanderson wrote:I planted one plant and got a single okra!!   Embarassed   I'm going to try 2 plants and see if I can get 2 okra this summer.   bounce   Only for DH

With tomatillos I know they are not self-fertile, if you only plant 1 plant you'll get very little fruit. Does anyone that grows okra know if it self-fertile, meaning you can get good production from only 1 plant or are 2 or more necessary?

jmsieglaff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 1/19/2014, 5:42 pm

@Marc Iverson wrote:I haven't been at this long enough to develop many favorites, but I've grown sungold tomatoes for three years and they were always productive and good.  My neighbor who plants them in very rich soil full of compost gets them to taste so great they ascend to another level of deliciousness.  They don't have that certain wild savoriness some rare cherry tomatoes have, being more on the sweet side, but they haven't been cloyingly sweet and at their best they develop rich and complex flavor.
Hear, hear. way to go Well said.

Have you tried saving seeds from them to plant the following year yet?  It worked well for me but I did notice a slight decrease in production.  It could have been due to planting them in 6" of MM instead of the original 10", or early blight which didn't happen the first time around, or them being hybrid, but I'm not sure which.  I'll use the same seeds again this year in the 10" box again and see how they do.

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff on 1/19/2014, 5:50 pm

And because I can't pass up trying new things I'm trying two new sprouting broccoli types: aspabroc (like broccolini) and summer purple sprouting broccoli. And Germain giant radishes too.

jmsieglaff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff on 1/19/2014, 5:53 pm

@quiltbea wrote:But the one I'll comment on is Super Sugar Snap peas.  They are superb.  I ate them all summer long, off the vine, and snacking in the evenings.  Everyone in the family just loved them.  Better than candy.

Couldn't agree more! I'm jealous you can enjoy them all summer--by late June they are done here.

jmsieglaff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 1/19/2014, 6:29 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:
@Marc Iverson wrote:I haven't been at this long enough to develop many favorites, but I've grown sungold tomatoes for three years and they were always productive and good.  My neighbor who plants them in very rich soil full of compost gets them to taste so great they ascend to another level of deliciousness.  They don't have that certain wild savoriness some rare cherry tomatoes have, being more on the sweet side, but they haven't been cloyingly sweet and at their best they develop rich and complex flavor.
Hear, hear. way to go Well said.

Have you tried saving seeds from them to plant the following year yet?  It worked well for me but I did notice a slight decrease in production.  It could have been due to planting them in 6" of MM instead of the original 10", or early blight which didn't happen the first time around, or them being hybrid, but I'm not sure which.  I'll use the same seeds again this year in the 10" box again and see how they do.

CC

I haven't saved seeds from them because sungold is a hybrid. Though I did see in one catalog a tomato said to have come from sungold and been bred to stabilize the qualities we like sungold for. I'm sort of curious about that.

One of my neighbors grows such great sungolds, and so many of them, that this year I won't grow any. I'll grow blondkopfchen and others, and we'll just trade what we grow.

My seed-saving plans this year were largely defeated by eating most of my stock anyway. Very Happy I wasn't serious about it because I still have almost-full packets of most everything I planted this year. So tomatillos have been the only seeds I saved. My attempts to save brandywine seeds were foiled by a combination of blight and, er ... eating most everything.

Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 1/19/2014, 7:07 pm

Don't forget the Seed Traders Corner! If you are in search of (ISO) or have available (HA) seeds, you may post about them there.  Wink 

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13975

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

seeds

Post  kauairosina on 1/19/2014, 7:39 pm

Sungold is my all time favorite snacking while out in the garden and our pet hen, Gracie, loves them.  She's lives apart from the other hens and is allowed to mess around in the garden till she gets too destructive.  Finished laying.

kauairosina

Female Posts : 561

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 1/29/2014, 12:28 am

It took 4 days but I finally finished seeding 6 trays of 2" pots.  I thought I would list what I seeded, and WILL seed directly in a month, such as beans, corn, etc.  Or, from plants such as garlic and potatoes.  I've been gardening for 11 months and I'm hooked.  [Note:  If someone wants some samples, please post under the Seed Exchange or what ever the correct title is??]

Beans, bush: Dragon Tongue
Beans, pole:  Kentucky wonder, Chinese Red Noodle, Purple Podded, Rattlesnake
Bok Choy:  Ching Chang, Bonsia
Cabbage: Early Jersey
Cantaloupe: Iroquois, Hale's, Petit Gris de Rennes, Minnesota Midge
Carrots  Parisienne (nice looking greens!), Tendersweet, Little Finger
Celery:  Tall Utah
Collards:  Georgia Southern
Corn: Silver Queen, Golden Cross Bantam
Cucumber:  Straight 8, Marketmore, Crystal Apple, Lemon
Eggplant: Black Beauty, Astrakom, Thai Round Purple
Kale: Blue Curled, Vat's
Parsnip:  Half Long Guernsey
Peas: Melting Sugar Snow Peas
Pepper: Jalapeno, Cayenne, Poblamo, Red, yellow and green bells, Cubanelle Sweet, Jimmy Nardello, 4 from produce culls: Orange bell, a long green bell, a mystery red pepper, a long red hot chili
Radish: Cherry Belle, Pink Beauty
Soybean: Envy
Squash: zucchini Black Beauty, yellow straightneck, spaghetti, Lemon, Butternut Rogosa Violina Gioni, Baby green Hubbard, Winter Canada crookneck
Swiss chard:  Ruby, large ribbed green, Rainbow
Tomatillo:  Verde
Tomatoes:  Arkansas traveler, Roma, Brandywine, Amish Paste,Yellow Pear, Cherokee purple, Beefsteak, San Marzano, Gypsy, Brandywine, and two un-named: a black tom and and orange tom

The usual herbs, plus: Cinnamon Basil, borage, capmint, catnip, lavendar, lemongrass, Stevia

Flowers: common ones, plus Kiss-Me-Over-The-Garden-Gate

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 11662

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:40 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down