Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Today at 2:07 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 1:53 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by countrynaturals Today at 12:12 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals Today at 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Today at 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 9:08 am

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 4:09 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:42 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:42 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 2:04 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts Yesterday at 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess 12/3/2016, 12:32 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 3:39 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

High heat tolerant tomatoes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

High heat tolerant tomatoes

Post  Yardslave on 1/30/2014, 4:28 pm

Hi all,

Well, it's about time to start some tomato seedlings, but I don't want to repeat last Summer's tomato roast in my garden. I'm in Zone 14 & Temperatures went well above 100 degrees in late July and early August. Before that, as the temperature passed 90 degrees the plants stopped flowering. All the fruit that set began to show light sun-scorch markings on them and didn't even ripen. The only plants that seemed to be OK were the Sweet 100's. Early Girl produced well until the temp passed 90 then it stopped producing. All the plants had sun-scalded portions on their vines. It didn't seem to be a watering issue, as I kept the ground moist. Does anyone have any suggestions for more heat-tolerant Tomatoes? I'd really like to have some slicers and paste tomatoes started and in by April.
-----
Dave

Last edited by Yardslave on 1/30/2014, 4:58 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Yardslave

Male Posts : 260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: High heat tolerant tomatoes

Post  Goosegirl on 1/30/2014, 6:34 pm

@Yardslave wrote:Hi all,

Well, it's about time to start some tomato seedlings, but I don't want to repeat last Summer's tomato roast in my garden. I'm in Zone 14 & Temperatures went well above 100 degrees in late July and early August. Before that, as the temperature passed 90 degrees the plants stopped flowering. All the fruit that set began to show light sun-scorch markings on them and didn't even ripen. The only plants that seemed to be OK were the Sweet 100's. Early Girl produced well until the temp passed 90 then it stopped producing. All the plants had sun-scalded portions on their vines. It didn't seem to be a watering issue, as I kept the ground moist. Does anyone have any suggestions for more heat-tolerant Tomatoes? I'd really like to have some slicers and paste tomatoes started and in by April.
-----
Dave

Here's a link to TomatoFest's Hot/Humid Collection. Each one can be ordered individually as well, if you don't want to buy the $20 collection. However, they do have a $15 minimum order. But then again, with over 600 organic heirloom varities to choose from, I personally find it hard to limit myself to just what I can grow each year! rofl 

http://store.tomatofest.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=hot&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

GG

GG   geek 

COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave on 1/30/2014, 7:40 pm

Thanks for the link. The Tomatofest site is almost an overload of choices: however, I only wanted 2 packs of seeds that were under $6 and with water prices climbing and a drought declaration, I'm downsizing and don't want a ton of seeds... just need 3 or 4 plants in my garden. The ironic thing is that I live in Gary Ibsen's neighborhood, but can't do an order pick-up. It's all mail order as far as I know. Anyone else have any ideas?

Yardslave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 1/30/2014, 7:53 pm

I took a look at the link.  You could write down the names and then look online at Bakers (an outlet in Petaluma) and other catalogs and order your choices there.

There are a few of us around Fresno and we get heat waves.  You can gently lay old sheer curtains, doubled tulle bridal material, commercially made sun screening plant covers during the worst of the heat.  2013 was my first year SFG and I had great luck with Romas.  My Early girl over-wintered in the mini green house.  Plus I bought Arkansas Travelers, Brandywines, Beefsteak, little Yellow Pear, Amish Paste, San Marzano, etc. for this year.

I'm in Zone 8B-9A so you must be using another climate rating.  Do you use SFG?  I'm so stoked because 2013 was the first year in my life I didn't have split tomatoes. And with 1-2" of wood chips, the water usage was way low.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12262

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening on 1/30/2014, 9:25 pm

here is the link to our forum seed trading, maybe you could find something there Smile

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/c5-seed-traders-corner

hope this helps
rose

FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl on 1/30/2014, 10:54 pm

@Yardslave wrote:Thanks for the link. The Tomatofest site is almost an overload of choices: however, I only wanted 2 packs of seeds that were under $6 and with water prices climbing and a drought declaration, I'm downsizing and don't want a ton of seeds... just need 3 or 4 plants in my garden. The ironic thing is that I live in Gary Ibsen's neighborhood, but can't do an order pick-up. It's all mail order as far as I know. Anyone else have any ideas?

I usually only order from TomatoFest every other year or so, because the packets keep me going for a few seasons (I start heavily and give away my extra seedlings if I have enough survive).  Hopefully this year I will be successful in saving seed from my crop instead of letting everything cross like in years past - altho' the crossed volunteers saved my tomato crop one season when I scorched all my purebred starts.   Embarassed Since I am not a tomato connoisseur, the crossed mutts were just fine by me - and made some of the best sauce I have ever tasted!

GG

GG   geek 

COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 1/31/2014, 1:14 am

@Yardslave wrote:Thanks for the link. The Tomatofest site is almost an overload of choices: however, I only wanted 2 packs of seeds that were under $6 and with water prices climbing and a drought declaration, I'm downsizing and don't want a ton of seeds... just need 3 or 4 plants in my garden. The ironic thing is that I live in Gary Ibsen's neighborhood, but can't do an order pick-up. It's all mail order as far as I know. Anyone else have any ideas?

Yardslave, Do you want to try any of these seeds? Arkansas traveler? the little Yellow Pear?

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t17027-2014-seed-list#184196

sanderson

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 1/31/2014, 2:22 am

Sounds like the summer we had last year -- virtually no water at all and many weeks of 100+ temps, others in the high 90s. Blossoms failing to bear fruit, some sun scorching.

As a sort of off the wall idea, I wonder if you might have good luck going for tomatoes known to have especially big leaves and/or bush tomatoes and/or letting your tomatoes develop more than one stem and/or feeding them extra nitrogen to ensure more leafy shade on your fruits?

Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tagyourit on 1/31/2014, 10:07 am

The Arkansas Traveler is good with heat.

tagyourit

Female Posts : 48

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave on 1/31/2014, 12:58 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I worry about some of the descriptions that don't quite live up to what the plant turns out to be. I tried Green Zebra last and it wasn't as large as it was described in the catalog, and I'm fed up with marble sized fruit that is OK for salads, but I really prefer a tomato that I can top a burger with this summer. It's frustrating to spend all that time and effort and come away with a plant that has fruit fit for a charm bracelet!

Yardslave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 1/31/2014, 4:09 pm

They're a great resource for making a chutney or a salsa, though!

Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 1/31/2014, 9:37 pm

@tagyourit wrote:The Arkansas Traveler is good with heat.
Yep, they came in a hot climate collection I ordered.  Decent size.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Heat Tolerant Tomatoe

Post  Rahab222 on 2/1/2014, 1:47 am

Try 4th of July tomatoes.  I'm on the Texas Gulf Coast and we have heat over 100 degrees on a regular basis in the summer.  4th of July tomatoes do well in the heat, because as their name indicates, they are among the earliest producers.  These are about the size of a small orange.  They also do well in the fall garden because of the short period of time it takes for them to produce before the cold sets in, which tomatoes don't like.

Rahab222

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  johnsonjlj on 2/1/2014, 4:28 am

I live in Florida where we have brutally hot summers and found last summer for the Homestead variety. I even remember my parents growing it in our garden as a kid. It was developed back in the 50's by the University of Florida just to withstand the heat of the Florida summers. The Homesteads I planted last year did far better than most of the varieties I planted last year. I'm starting my seeds tomorrow and you can bet that there will be several Homesteads in my garden plans.

johnsonjlj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  at2wooden on 2/1/2014, 3:13 pm

I just put in Roma and a beefsteak for spring planting.
I'll try planting Homestead 24 and Money Maker in May and another crop in Sept.

at2wooden

Male Posts : 65

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 2/1/2014, 3:37 pm

My Romas did great in the heat. They slowed down during the 100+ heat wave and then resumed their production.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:40 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum