Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New England July 2014
by RJARPCGP Today at 2:50 am

» How big a back yard to live off the land?
by sanderson Today at 1:42 am

» PNW July 2014
by Marc Iverson Today at 12:33 am

» COMPOST 101
by sanderson Today at 12:32 am

» What do you know about making sauerkraut?
by Pollinator Today at 12:09 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by yolos Yesterday at 11:34 pm

» Caterpillars
by Pollinator Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» The SFG Journey-my cucumber and huglekulture experiment
by has55 Yesterday at 11:16 pm

» harvesting lemon cukes
by Marc Iverson Yesterday at 10:36 pm

» Extensive Storage Tips and Expectations
by FeedMeSeeMore Yesterday at 8:34 pm

» Potato plant berries?
by llama momma Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» This thread is for practicing posting
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:18 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:15 pm

» Hello! Just joined
by Kellerbee Yesterday at 1:06 pm

» Weather Warning - Middle South
by Windmere Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Hi - I'm new
by svanahgirl129 7/29/2014, 8:34 pm

» August: What to Plant in Northern California and Central Valley and Coastal Areas
by Marc Iverson 7/29/2014, 8:21 pm

» Cucumber help
by cismith54 7/29/2014, 7:48 pm

» Fall Harvest Planting
by landarch 7/29/2014, 4:49 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by CapeCoddess 7/29/2014, 4:18 pm

» Free Digital Book - Companion Planting
by rabbithutch 7/29/2014, 1:31 pm

» shelves built on fence
by rabbithutch 7/29/2014, 1:15 pm

» Compost progress with pictures
by hartge01 7/29/2014, 10:41 am

» OK, I just can't do it...bugs and disease
by hartge01 7/29/2014, 10:32 am

» Zucchetta Seeds, Tromboncino
by sanderson 7/29/2014, 2:17 am

» The SFG Journey-self induced powdery mildew, a paradigm shift solution
by has55 7/29/2014, 12:58 am

» 2014 Tomatoes
by Windmere 7/28/2014, 8:52 pm

» The SFG Journey-Do Coffee Grounds Deter Slugs? A Slimy Experiment
by Windmere 7/28/2014, 8:47 pm

» The SFG Journey- Does Diatomaceous Earth Deter Slugs?
by has55 7/28/2014, 6:51 pm

» Mid-At July 2014 - How Goes the Garden?
by flowering_fauna 7/28/2014, 6:42 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Growing Bush Beans

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Growing Bush Beans

Post  Cropper2 on 4/27/2010, 6:05 pm

Is anyone growing Bush Beans?

I can find lots of threads on vining beans, but nothing on bush beans. I thought I'd give them a try, but I'd like to know what others have learned first.

Anyone?

Cropper2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Bush beans

Post  ander217 on 4/27/2010, 8:20 pm

What do you want to know about them? This is my first year trying SFG and I plan to plant one grid of wax beans, one of bush romanos, and one grid of Blue Lake bush.

I've grown row-style gardens most of my life, and I usually planted Blue Lake or Contender bush beans, and Kentucky Wonder and Romano pole beans. Bush beans tend to produce a large crop all at once and then are finished in a few weeks, while pole or vining beans produce all summer.

Others on this board have said that bush beans in SFG boxes tend to spill over into neighboring grids, so when they grow tall, one should pull all the plants together and wrap string around them twice and tie it off to keep them in their proper place.

You can go to the squarefootgardening.com page, click on FAQ's, and click on vegetables. Mel gives information there on growing many veggies.

ander217

Female Posts: 1450

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Growing Bush Beans

Post  Cropper2 on 4/28/2010, 7:39 am

I've been following the forums on beans, but I always seem to end up reading about the vining variety, versus the bush variety. I was wondering how many to plan in a box and if they have any special needs. Perhaps planting one in the middle of a 3x3 grid might work? Do they get very tall? I've never tried them before. Anything you can share about them would help.

Thanks.

Cropper2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Bush beans

Post  ander217 on 4/28/2010, 9:24 am

Bush beans are fairly small plants. They grow about a foot tall, more or less, depending on variety. I think the packet says to thin them to every four inches, so that means planting them nine plants per square foot. They have small stems about the size of a pencil that grow leafy branches. When they are spaced close together they grow more upward than outward but they still have a few branches that grow outward. That is why some of them must be tied together if they get too bushy. Only planting one per SF would be a waste of space and would not yield many beans. One plant will only have a few pods ready to pick at one time.

Some people coat the seeds with a seed inoculant before planting in soil that has never grown beans. I'm not sure if that's helpful in SFG. Does anyone else know?

They have no special needs that I know of. Don't work with the plants when the leaves are wet as there are some diseases that attack them which can spread when handling wet plants, and watch out for bean beetles which like to munch on the pods. When they stop producing, pull the plants and plant something else.

I've always found bush beans to be extremely easy to grow. If you want to grow enough to eat all you want as well as put some in the freezer you will probably need more than one square foot of them.

ander217

Female Posts: 1450

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 4/28/2010, 10:04 am

Great post ander!

I have one square of early season bush beans. The moon was right, but it is probably still too early. I am hoping that Provider, an early season bush bean, will handle the chill well enough to do as the name implies. I did 9 to the square, and only put in a test batch of one square.

At the next waxing moon I will put in 4 squares of Provider, (50 days, cool season), 4 of "Dragon Langerie" a flat podded wax bean with purple striping and 2 of "Empress" a main season bush bean. At the next moon the plan is to put in 4 more squares of Empress.

I've never grown bush beans. Always turned up my nose at them thinking they were not as good as pole. The last gardens I have mainly grown french fillet beans, yum. My aunts all grew bush beans and theirs were fine, I was just a snob I think.

Lavender Debs

View user profile http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn on 4/28/2010, 10:14 am

I'm also in Maryland, and bush beans are easy to grow here. They like the heat. Plant 9 per square foot. I usually plant the seeds in May, and they produce beans well into the fall. The plants do tend to splay into adjacent squares.

Mikesgardn

Male Posts: 106

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  keithw on 4/28/2010, 11:03 am

Thanks for the tip of tying the plants together. My garden beans are overflowing their 2 SFG squares and threatening to eat a pepper plant and some lettuce (well I just beat the beans to the lettuce). I'll get to work on tying them together this evening.

keithw

Male Posts: 19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs on 4/28/2010, 11:26 am

Ug, in looking something up for someone else, I just read that beans should not be planted near the onion family. My one square is surrounded by onions and shallots. Guess I am about to find out why I shouldn't do that.

Lavender Debs

View user profile http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cropper2 on 4/28/2010, 4:33 pm

I spent last weekend studying the Compatibility charts from the Farmer's Almanac and thought I'd lose my mind! I had to completely replan most of my SFG boxes. You'd have thought my intention was to purposely plant what the Almanac calls "Combative" veggies next to one another. I had done that almost 100% of the time. Now that I've rearranged everything on paper, I'm about to start my planting.

Thanks for all of the feedback on planting the bush beans! I'm excited to give it a try.

Cropper2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop on 4/28/2010, 10:42 pm

I planted 4 squares of bush beans, they are kind like determinate tomatoes, they set many of their beans in a short amount of time, versus pole beans have a longer production period.

I like both types for different reasons. I love my yellow wax bush beans!

chocolatepop

Female Posts: 768

View user profile http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  cherriesjubilee on 4/29/2010, 2:17 pm

I am growing Roma II bush beans this year. I have 14 squares of them.

I really prefer pole beans, especially Kentucky Wonders, but I just didn't want to deal with all of the trellising that would be necessary. Maybe next year.

cherriesjubilee

Female Posts: 48

View user profile http://sherry-a-casa.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  titans01 on 4/29/2010, 2:48 pm

I grew bush beans last year and that's all we grew when I was a kid. Is there any difference in taste from a bush to a pole bean and is one better than the other for canning or freezing?

titans01

Male Posts: 122

View user profile http://goodgameme.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  aspiegardner on 4/29/2010, 3:57 pm

I'm going to try to find some of this either this year or next. In our town it was hard enough to find lima beans, let alone anything other than a green bean or yellow wax.

Bush sound like fun.

aspiegardner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 on 4/29/2010, 5:24 pm

titans01 wrote:I grew bush beans last year and that's all we grew when I was a kid. Is there any difference in taste from a bush to a pole bean and is one better than the other for canning or freezing?

Basically, no, no and no. I really think it's a matter of preference of whether you like most of the crop coming in at one time or strung out over the summer. I plant both since I prefer having a heavy crop for canning and an ongoing crop for fresh eating.

Retired Member 1

Female Posts: 904

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 on 4/29/2010, 5:25 pm

aspiegardner wrote:I'm going to try to find some of this either this year or next. In our town it was hard enough to find lima beans, let alone anything other than a green bean or yellow wax.

Bush sound like fun.

All I could find locally in a vining fresh bean was Kentucky Wonder. Then I found a gentleman on another forum who was offering free heirloom bean seeds. I ordered 3 vining and two bush from him. Hopefully I'll have enough to save some seeds for next year as well.

Retired Member 1

Female Posts: 904

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop on 4/29/2010, 10:08 pm

I like bush beans for canning and freezing because they come in all at once, making things easier rather than waiting.

chocolatepop

Female Posts: 768

View user profile http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum