Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:53 am

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising Today at 12:35 am

» Winter Reading, Anyone?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:49 pm

» Sprouted Onion Question
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:37 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:11 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:07 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:00 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:58 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 5:49 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by plantoid Yesterday at 5:47 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 5:05 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 4:56 pm

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by llama momma Yesterday at 2:16 pm

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by llama momma Yesterday at 1:59 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by Ginger Blue Yesterday at 1:57 pm

by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:29 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:24 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 12/9/2016, 9:29 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson 12/9/2016, 12:32 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie 12/9/2016, 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson 12/9/2016, 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 12:13 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 7:05 am

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Problem with pepper seedlings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Problem with pepper seedlings

Post  tagyourit on 3/7/2014, 4:28 pm

This is my first year trying to do peppers from seed and I am having problems.    I am keeping them at around 75 degrees but very few have sprouted and the ones that have sprouted the leaves are gone and it is just a stem.   What is going on!?!?!?!?!   I have other plants in the same greenhouse (four shelf zippy type thing) and they are doing well.    I am just about ready to throw in the towel and go back to using starts for pepper plants.   Sad

tagyourit

Female Posts : 48

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Problem with pepper seedlings

Post  H_TX_2 on 3/7/2014, 4:37 pm

How long as it been since you planted the seeds. I planted tomatoes, squash, basil and two types of peppers at the beginning of February. Everything except the peppers sprouted in about 7 days. I was beginning to worry about my peppers thinking something went wrong because there was no sign of life. The jalapenos took about 14 days before I could see a small sliver of green trying to break through the surface of the growing medium. Apparently peppers just take longer than most other typical veggie plants.

As for plants losing their leaves I have no idea what is happening. I would keep them under lights and hope their true leaves develop. Any chance you have a grasshopper or something else that could be eating your plants; I'm just grasping at straws in the dark at this point.

H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tagyourit on 3/7/2014, 4:50 pm

I planted them the first week of february and they are under lights in my house in the greenhouse thing.   I am just going to assume that it is my lack of knowledge and skill that has messed them up.   That is the great thing about gardening is that each year we get a little wiser.

tagyourit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm on 3/7/2014, 5:51 pm

What medium are you sprouting them in?  Is it fresh, or re-used/recycled?

What kind of light are you giving them?  Pics of the setup?

How much moisture are they getting?  How are you verifying the temperature of their environment?

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked

My garden progress:
MyFolia.com - Garden Tracking Community Find more about Weather in Las Vegas, NV

brainchasm

Male Posts : 463

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 3/7/2014, 6:29 pm

Tagyourit-

I apologize if this sounds silly, but, how old are the seeds?  A friend of mine would like me to grow some of her seeds for her, and one of the packets is 4 years old  Wink

Last edited by llama momma on 3/7/2014, 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4648

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 3/7/2014, 6:31 pm

My pepper seeds took forever to sprout.  Some were 2014 seeds, some 2013, and others saved from unusually look peppers from the farmer's market. While some plants are up-potted or even planted in the boxes, the peppers are still too small to move out of the 2" seed pots.  Some of the leaves of other seedling veggies and flowers under the lights on the floor of the house were chewed.  Duh, I caught my cat chewing them   Very Happy   She had a lot of fun pulling out a particular zinnia seedling (mouse guts?) and then I would repot it!  It's in the outdoor green house.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12308

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef on 3/7/2014, 6:35 pm

Its sounds like something is eating the leaves on your pepper starts. Are any other plants affected? Try going out at night and see if what you can find.

mschaef

Female Posts : 575

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  recoush on 3/7/2014, 7:41 pm

Place Garlic around the pepper plants and or spread some crushed pepper.
Sound like you have a baby possum 

Gardeners supply has Garlic spikes tubes you can tyrap to stakes and place around the area 
Another possibility is Deer but they tend to gnaw the plant 

Check the area of the stem for tearing or ripping if none then they maybe too cold but since there are none of the leaves my guess is a Possum
Good luck 

recoush

Male Posts : 86

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  slimbolen99 on 3/7/2014, 8:11 pm

I've found two things that I had trouble with on peppers, these ideas might help:
1) - place the seed on the top of the seed start mixture, don't bury it, and provide light right away, and
2) - too much moisture will create stem rot, of sorts.  Once they sprout, they don't require much water -- watch for them to begin to show signs of wilting before watering them again.  Water from the bottom, if you can.

Good luck, don't give up.

slimbolen99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  at2wooden on 3/7/2014, 8:15 pm

Cut worms .
I had a similar problem in my cold frame.
I replanted after I moved the cold frame and sprayed the inside with vinegar.
My peppers are taking forever to grow since I planted them in the garden.

at2wooden

Male Posts : 65

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 3/7/2014, 9:04 pm

My pepper seedling always grow so slowly, for many weeks. Then the summer weather hits, the small plants finally get out into the garden and wham! They usually take off!

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  tagyourit on 3/7/2014, 9:30 pm

These are inside my house and I have a thermometer that tracks the temp over a 24 hour time frame.   The other plants are fine and the seeds I ordered this year.  I will post a pic this weekend.    It might be too much moisture.

tagyourit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 3/8/2014, 12:42 am

@camprn wrote:My pepper seedling always grow so slowly, for many weeks. Then the summer weather hits, the small plants finally get out into the garden and wham! They usually take off!

So there is still hope!!  bounce 

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12308

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 3/8/2014, 6:41 am

Tag, post a photo if you can.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

camprn

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch on 3/8/2014, 8:49 am

I planted three types of pepper seeds last Saturday (Poblano - 64 seeds, Giant Marconi - 32 seeds, Fat N' Sassy - 32 seeds). 

(11) seedlings germinated overnight...(10) Fat N' Sassy and (1) Giant Marconi.

I planted in a flat of 8 cells x 16 cells...hopefully the rest will germinate so they are somewhat equal in height before going under the grow light.

I place a small oil-filled radiator type heater under a card table that holds four flats at once.  I also use a tray and water from below.

landarch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  recoush on 3/8/2014, 9:37 am

Same here last Saturday started Peppers and Balm
Both are coming up today even the Spaghetti squash in my Towel containers 

one other suggestion use a warming seed / plant mat maintains 70 degrees only water with tepid ( warm water) thought of leaf wilt too but then the leave would be curly and not missing 

The one near ul (warming mat) is balm the E5 is jalapeno the larger one is the squash there are others removed lid for better viewing 

what works for me may very with others and please read and follow the seed packets  Very Happy 

Last edited by recoush on 3/8/2014, 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : minor correction)

recoush

Male Posts : 86

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 3/8/2014, 3:13 pm

One interesting thing I've learned about seed starting is that they all don't work. I usually plant a few more than I need. That way at least I know some will survive. No stress.

My peppers haven't sprouted yet. I planted them last Sunday in six packs and placed them on a drug store heating pad inside a plastic lettuce container with an inch of water in the bottom. All the tomatoes that I planted at the same time have sprouted and are now in the window. I know the peppers will show up at some point. They did last year! What a Face 

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 3/8/2014, 7:22 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:One interesting thing I've learned about seed starting is that they all don't work. I usually plant a few more than I need. That way at least I know some will survive. No stress. I know the peppers will show up at some point. They did last year! What a Face 

CC
+1 Great point CC!!! I always oversow and end up giving plants away. But I always have the plants I need!

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere on 3/9/2014, 7:39 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:One interesting thing I've learned about seed starting is that they all don't work. I usually plant a few more than I need. That way at least I know some will survive. No stress.

My peppers haven't sprouted yet. I planted them last Sunday in six packs and placed them on a drug store heating pad inside a plastic lettuce container with an inch of water in the bottom. All the tomatoes that I planted at the same time have sprouted and are now in the window. I know the peppers will show up at some point. They did last year! What a Face 

CC
CC I love the idea of using a drug store heating pad.  That's very clever.  I have about twelve 3" peat pots filled with MM (with seeds of sweet bells and anaheim) and several of mine have come up.  These plantings are more than I need as well.  I completely agree when it comes to over planting.  If I have too many... well they make a great gift!

Our weather has been balmy as of late, so I put the seedlings in the sun during the day.  The recent warm weather has definitely stimulated growth.

Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  baileyhermit on 3/9/2014, 9:12 pm

I have really good success with starting peppers using the seed mats and fluorescent lighting in the house. Much more controlled than in the greenhouse.  I will keep them on the heat mats after they germinate, as well as after first repotting. Keep a fan running as well to circulate the air. Seems to give them a really good healthy start, not stressed! Use sterile seed mix too! 
I have about 280 of the little buggers growing now, Jalapeno's, Bell, Cubanellas Sweet Bananas, Biggie Chili, College peppers, Ghost peppers and habenero's. (I sell most of them in the spring!)

baileyhermit

Female Posts : 50

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 3/10/2014, 4:46 am

@baileyhermit wrote:.....really good success with starting peppers using the seed mats and fluorescent lighting in the house... keep on the heat mats after they germinate, as well as after first repotting. Keep a fan running as well to circulate the air. Seems to give them a really good healthy start, not stressed! Use sterile seed mix too! 
I have about 280 of the little buggers growing.....

Baileyhermit,
That's what I call success and this seems like a simple fix too.  We know peppers love heat and this is the first time I've seen an easy fix that gives these heat loving plants what they want right from the start.

Let me see if understand this-- You start out with the usual plastic dome ?  Then remove the dome right after germination and blast them with fluorescents and a fan.  And keep seedlings on heat mats through the first repotting?  

Hope you have a picture or two to share.

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  baileyhermit on 3/10/2014, 9:45 am

Yes, use dome with heat mats and put under lights as soon as they emerge. I use shop lights with 4 lights (not 2).   Keep the top of plants about 2 inches from the lights so they don't have to reach for the lights!

I remove dome once ~ 1/2 of tray has sprouted and keep on mats until they go in greenhouse, after 2nd repotting...

recycled material on sides help to keep heat in and reflect light...

light stands we made out of $35.00 plastic shelving unit from homedepot...

transition into the greenhouse

happy plants!

hope this helps!

Last edited by baileyhermit on 3/10/2014, 10:15 am; edited 2 times in total

baileyhermit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 3/10/2014, 10:02 am

baileyhermit
Thank you very much for clarifying and adding pictures.  I've done pretty good in the past.  I look forward to tweaking things a bit.  Especially your method of bottom heating the peppers longer.  Hope to have similar consistent success! 

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  baileyhermit on 3/10/2014, 10:16 am

@llama momma wrote:baileyhermit
Thank you very much for clarifying and adding pictures.  I've done pretty good in the past.  I look forward to tweaking things a bit.  Especially your method of bottom heating the peppers longer.  Hope to have similar consistent success! 

to you too!   Happy Spring!!!!

baileyhermit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:56 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum