Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:51 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:46 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 Today at 8:35 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by sanderson Today at 8:30 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality Today at 7:21 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by GardenGal Today at 6:38 pm

by trolleydriver Today at 4:14 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 1:32 pm

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 12:57 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by sanderson Today at 12:40 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Today at 12:32 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 10:56 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Today at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Today at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Today at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Today at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:52 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Big Lots Greenhouse

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Big Lots Greenhouse

Post  68carguy on 3/17/2014, 6:49 am

Anyone have experience with a Greenhouse like this? It is on sale for $49.99. I know it would be only good for a short while. Think it would be better to save the cash for a better more long lasting model? Opinions, or suggestions please. Thanks.

http://www.biglots.com/p/village-green-basic-walk-in-greenhouse-with-shelves

68carguy

Male Posts : 148

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Big Lots Greenhouse

Post  jjocsak on 3/17/2014, 7:47 am

Check these videos out.

Jeff

jjocsak

Male Posts : 53

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  68carguy on 3/17/2014, 8:18 am

John got a really good end of season deal @ 17.50 per Greenhouse. Guess I got to decide if it is worth $49.99 to me to get a early start on the season this Spring.

68carguy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo on 3/17/2014, 8:23 am

I have 1 of those!  It is worth the price. I used it for 1 year but it gave me the urge to get 1 that is bigger. It is harder than it looks to put together. If you were closer I'd give it to you, but shipping would be a bear.

A couple hints: tie it down, wind turned it over on me 2 times. My DH used some spare pieces of re-bar, bent and hammered over the metal on each side bottom. Then, due to bottom being tied down I guess, the shelf system kept coming apart at the joints, they just push together. I took a ball of twine and wrapped it tightly around from 1 upright to the next, to keep the shelf system together.
The only place it tore in the yr. that I used it was right by the tie where the zipper was for the door. I used 1 piece of handy ole duct tape to keep it from ripping further.
It has no vents so it really gets hot inside, but it worked really well.
Jo

littlejo

Female Posts : 1528

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  68carguy on 3/17/2014, 8:35 am

Jo,
Thanks for the tips about tieing down the base and keeping the uprights together. I think it would be fun to have one of these just so I can get a early start on the season, and I wouldn't have to buy so many plants to start my SFG.

68carguy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 3/17/2014, 8:50 am

I had one very much like that.  Bought it in England but didn't use it until I got to the States.  Used it for 2 springs in Chicago and one in NC before the plastic ripped.  Bought an extra cover but the poles got destroyed during a move.  I put it together by myself.  It came with tie down stakes and I also tied it to a fence in windy Chicago.  

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  68carguy on 3/17/2014, 9:10 am

Thanks Kay
Three years...thats not to bad usage. I figure I will store the plastic cover between season when it is not needed, that might prolong the life, we get hot Summers here and figure the UV ray wouldn't help it any.

68carguy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 3/17/2014, 10:19 am

You may have $50 worth of enjoyment out of doing this, along with picking up lots of ideas.
However  In My opinion your throwing your money away.
I purchased a smaller rendition at our local Lowes, retail price was $85, it was kind of dilapidated
so I haggled the mgr down to $15..figured what could I lose..
Took it home, put it together, looked at it while a slight breeze tore it apart.
Lowe's did take it back.
I think if you take your time, look around, Craigs list, flea markets, or just buy some lumber and plastic you can do much better for the same price.
I put this together for a few dollars more than you are spending...Lowe's has them and their extremely reliable.
Plastic on the outside, I take it out and plant my fall seedlings in August, with wheels attached I can roll it in and out of the sun as needed.

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 1846

View user profile http://www.jcjigs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  68carguy on 3/17/2014, 11:38 am

Yeah that would be a good idea, but time is one thing I don't have much of. It is getting time now to do something and I don't have the time to invest to build something from scratch. I just checked Craigs list in my area and found nothing worth going after. I hear what you are saying, and I really don't want to throw money away, but how much could I save by starting all my crops, both vegetable and flowers if I only get one season out of this unit? This is something I will have to ponder a bit and see how it shakes out.

68carguy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles on 3/17/2014, 1:41 pm

Here is a much better model which is also carried by Big Lots. This guy had the same model type that you are looking at and found it to be unsatisfactory, so he replaced it with this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0I_3bGnVvU

bnoles

Male Posts : 804

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 3/17/2014, 1:49 pm

Depends partly on how much of a premium you're willing to pay for developed plants. Nurseries may not charge much for a seedling -- a dollar or a buck and a half -- but established plants around here can approach the 4 and 5 dollar levels, with flowers easily going to 6 or 7. That can add up incredibly quickly.

Seeds, I can sometimes get for free from friends, or from last year's packets stored in the fridge. Over the long haul, growing from seed is so much cheaper. But there is the initial set-up cost of buying the pots and the packets and soil and, if need be, a heat mat and/or growing lights etc.

I'm going to winter-sow some of my seeds in cheap milk jug cloches to keep the costs down.

Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  68carguy on 3/17/2014, 1:59 pm

Thanks Bob,

It on sale now too, a bit higher in price but it really does look like a much better unit. Very nice thanks again.

http://www.biglots.com/p/stafford-pop-up-quick-assembly-walk-in-greenhouse

68carguy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  68carguy on 3/17/2014, 2:06 pm

@Marc Iverson wrote:Depends partly on how much of a premium you're willing to pay for developed plants.  Nurseries may not charge much for a seedling -- a dollar or a buck and a half -- but established plants around here can approach the 4 and 5 dollar levels, with flowers easily going to 6 or 7.  That can add up incredibly quickly.

Seeds, I can sometimes get for free from friends, or from last year's packets stored in the fridge.  Over the long haul, growing from seed is so much cheaper.  But there is the initial set-up cost of buying the pots and the packets and soil and, if need be, a heat mat and/or growing lights etc.

I'm going to winter-sow some of my seeds in cheap milk jug cloches to keep the costs down.
Yeah I have been gardening for years so I have almost everything I need, pots, potting mixes, I even have a couple of cheap CFL lights I use to start a few thing in the house, the greenhouse would allow me to start stuff inside like cool weather crops and then move them out to the greenhouse. That would allow mw to start more inside for later in the season.

68carguy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LilGreenNewbie on 3/17/2014, 2:31 pm

The greenhouse my aunt left me she has had for around 10 years and it is still standing. I am not sure how much it cost but it has a ventilation system and heater with it. It is a Sunglo brand. I found a good time lapsed vid on YouTube - Here is the link > http://youtu.be/e50sLNdaRiU - The music was great  rock on 

It doesn't look too hard to put together but then again i don't have any experience so who knows.

LilGreenNewbie

Female Posts : 19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 3/17/2014, 2:43 pm

I made a break-down green house in the fall.  It's ready for storage so I can report that it really worked.

I made a PVC framed green house covered with 4 mil plastic.   Nothing was glued together.  Instead, I used twine tension lines in all directions.  The 2 wood picnic benches kept the frame from moving in the wind.  Okay, it moved 2 inches during one bad wind.  I was ready to secure the floor plates to perimeter holes drilled in the plywood flooring with zip ties, but, it turned at I didn't need that extra wind protection. The plastic was held in place with large black binder clips. I had to open and close the flap on sunnier, warmer days, but that was okay for me.

Photos are on pages 3 and 4 in the following link.

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t16833p30-the-winter-journey-and-greenhouse-plastic

1/2" PVC pipe
9 each of 45" for the horizontal floor and ceiling plates and the ridge pole
4 each of 32" for rafters
4 each of 30" for vertical wall corners
4 each of 2" nipples to connect the roof to the walls

Fittings
4 each of 4-way LT
4 each of 45 degree
4 each of 3-way L

I bought the unusual fittings on line through a supplier that was listed under www.pvcplans.com, tab "Special Fitting Suppliers."   My supplier was snapclamp.com because they were listed as supplying to California.  You may find another supplier for your area or try snapclamp.

Here is the green house ready for summer storage.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12251

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 3/17/2014, 2:51 pm

Hmm, I see that the actual fitting supplier was FORMUFIT.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12251

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  68carguy on 3/17/2014, 6:51 pm

You know something else I was thinking was maybe building a hoop house on one end of the garden bed, I have some old pvc around. I seen other's on here do that, what is a good method of attaching the pvc to the wood bed?

68carguy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kamigh on 3/17/2014, 10:42 pm

A friend of mine gave me a tiny greenhouse similar to this as a gift last week. I have been grinning from ear to ear since I got it. It is perfect for my seedlings that are outgrowing my indoor setup and I've been able to start more seeds with the extra space I now have inside.  It literally took me 10 minutes to get it out of the box, set up and get my plants inside! i have it semi-protected on my patio and it held up to a cold front with  35-40 mph wind gusts this weekend so I'm thrilled with it right now!  I don't know if I would have bought it on my own, but now that I have it, I heartily recommend having one.

kamigh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 3/18/2014, 2:42 am

@68carguy wrote:Thanks Kay
Three years...thats not to bad usage. I figure I will store the plastic cover between season when it is not needed, that might prolong the life, we get hot Summers here and figure the UV ray wouldn't help it any.

That's what I did.  3 springs and took it down between.  Might have lasted longer but I didn't take it down the last time and it spent 2 years in storage in a garage.  Rats got into it.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp on 3/18/2014, 9:41 am

Carguy, use electrical conduit fasteners and short deck screws. If you don't screw them all the way to tight then you can remove them easily. I built one earlier this year with two cattle panels and a few 2x4's. It's about 7 ft. by 8 ft. and little over 6 ft. high. Perfect size for me. There was a thread on building it sometime back.

johnp

Male Posts : 644

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  68carguy on 3/18/2014, 5:51 pm

@kamigh wrote:A friend of mine gave me a tiny greenhouse similar to this as a gift last week. I have been grinning from ear to ear since I got it. It is perfect for my seedlings that are outgrowing my indoor setup and I've been able to start more seeds with the extra space I now have inside.  It literally took me 10 minutes to get it out of the box, set up and get my plants inside! i have it semi-protected on my patio and it held up to a cold front with  35-40 mph wind gusts this weekend so I'm thrilled with it right now!  I don't know if I would have bought it on my own, but now that I have it, I heartily recommend having one.
Kamigh,
Now let me ask you a question.Now you have had one if you needed another one would you pay the $49.99 for it....do you this it is worth that after using the one you have?

68carguy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  68carguy on 3/18/2014, 5:55 pm

@johnp wrote:Carguy, use electrical conduit fasteners and short deck screws. If you don't screw them all the way to tight then you can remove them easily. I built one earlier this year with two cattle panels and a few 2x4's. It's about 7 ft. by 8 ft. and little over 6 ft. high. Perfect size for me. There was a thread on building it sometime back.
Thanks Johnp,
I am guessing I need to measure my PVC and make sure the conduit fasteners are large enough, I am guessing they come in different diameters. This is exactly what I was wanting, I want to be able to install, and remove the PVC easily.

68carguy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kamigh on 3/19/2014, 1:26 pm

68carguy-
I would and it is worth it, but now I have a caveat.  I'm in the DFW area and while we are now into enviably 'nice' weather (no snow or frozen ground down here!), we get awful, horrible winds.  Yesterday my poor little greenhouse (filled with my lovingly raised plants!) dumped over TWICE!!!!!  My poor plants took a real beating, although the greenhouse I have is no worse for the wear.  So my caveat now is that I would definately get another greenhouse, but I'd have to weigh/tie it down mightily so that I don't get devastated by winds like I did yesterday. 
I haven't gardened in several years because of having kids and moving, so I'm chalking this up to 'experience' and will remember these winds for next year.  But this greenhouse really is a game-changer for me because it allows me to stagger some of my seedlings so I can plant more and move them out for the next round.  My mom saw it and has been putting (sneaking) some of her annuals in it to harden off as well.  I'm thinking of getting that Big Lots one myself!
Karla

kamigh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  68carguy on 3/19/2014, 5:34 pm

@kamigh wrote:68carguy-
I would and it is worth it, but now I have a caveat.  I'm in the DFW area and while we are now into enviably 'nice' weather (no snow or frozen ground down here!), we get awful, horrible winds.  Yesterday my poor little greenhouse (filled with my lovingly raised plants!) dumped over TWICE!!!!!  My poor plants took a real beating, although the greenhouse I have is no worse for the wear.  So my caveat now is that I would definately get another greenhouse, but I'd have to weigh/tie it down mightily so that I don't get devastated by winds like I did yesterday. 
I haven't gardened in several years because of having kids and moving, so I'm chalking this up to 'experience' and will remember these winds for next year.  But this greenhouse really is a game-changer for me because it allows me to stagger some of my seedlings so I can plant more and move them out for the next round.  My mom saw it and has been putting (sneaking) some of her annuals in it to harden off as well.  I'm thinking of getting that Big Lots one myself!
Karla
Karla,
Guess what my girlfriend brought in tonight....yes a greenhouse!!
She is the greatest so now I will be able to do just as you describe start my seedling inside under lights and then move them when they are ready to transplant to the greenhouse...this is so cool!!!

68carguy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles on 3/19/2014, 6:51 pm

@68carguy wrote:
Karla,
Guess what my girlfriend brought in tonight....yes a greenhouse!!
She is the greatest so now I will be able to do just as you describe start my seedling inside under lights and then move them when they are ready to transplant to the greenhouse...this is so cool!!!

So, which model did you end up getting?

bnoles

Male Posts : 804

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:59 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: