Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by PVPind Today at 12:13 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Today at 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Today at 7:05 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:36 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:43 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 9:41 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan Yesterday at 5:19 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:51 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:48 am

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma 12/6/2016, 4:35 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess 12/6/2016, 3:27 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from the ATL

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from the ATL

Post  AtlantaMarie on 3/18/2014, 10:48 am

Hi everyone.  My name is Marie.  I live just north of Atlanta, GA.  We are right on the edge of 7b/8a climates.  My microclimate tends to be more 7b.

I'm very excited to be joining you.

Currently the weather is going back & forth from high 60's to low 30's during the day.  But my lettuce seems okay and the cabbage & onions are very happy.

If anyone has any hints for me, I'd be grateful.  I am concentrating on organic, open-pollenated heirlooms.  I will be using companion, rotation, & interplanting techniques along w/ SFG.

AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 3778

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from the ATL

Post  Goosegirl on 3/18/2014, 5:49 pm

welcome AtlantaMarie! How many beds are you going to start with? Post pics if/when you can - we LOVE pics, before, during, and after set-up!

GG

GG   geek 

COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3402

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 3/18/2014, 8:20 pm

Welcome AtlantaMarie.  I am in Brooks about 30 minutes south of the Atlanta Airport.

yolos

Female Posts : 2859

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 3/19/2014, 1:28 am

AtlantaMarie, Welcome to the Forum, from Fresno, CA!  glad you\'re here 

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12276

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 3/19/2014, 8:55 am

Good morning.  Thank you for the warm welcome, guys & gals!

As requested by Goosegirl, I will post pics as I can.  It's very gray & nasty today, so I'll try to get out tomorrow.

My total space is 35' x 25'.  This includes a 330 gallon water tank hooked into a gutter for irrigation and a 6'x8' shed.  Currently I have 1 2'x16' bed & 1 2'x8' with more coming.  (Right now we're concentrating on the fence line to keep the bunnies out, lol.)  I've got cabbage, lettuce, onions, & spinach in the ground.  I've got tomatoes, okra, peas, beans, gourds, watermelon, spaghetti squash, calendula, & nasturtium seeded.

And, of course, that doesn't include all the seeds I have that I don't have room for at the moment.   thinking   So many seeds to try, so little space at the moment... 

Yolos - Any hints for me?  How long have you been doing SFG?

Sanderson - Thank you!  What is your climate zone?  Any experience w/ 7b/8a?

Talk to you soon!  Marie

AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 3/19/2014, 2:53 pm

Marie, Your area sounds wonderful. Just make sure you leave some 3' isles (never less than 2'). Keep us posted as you develop your area. When you can, post photos, and stay active on the Forum. You will learn so much about gardening here.

My Zone is 8B-9A and is listed in the avatar box. It's considered a Mediterranean area, less than 10" of rain a year. We can grow almost anything here (if you have water).

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12276

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 3/19/2014, 3:10 pm

@AtlantaMarie wrote:Yolos - Any hints for me?  How long have you been doing SFG?
No hints come to mind right now.  I started with a small 4 x 4 in fall 2011 and have expanded.  My whole operation is growing every year and it is now 32' x 32' overall with more space used for a couple of compost bins.  I started this garden off as a row garden in 2008 and have almost converted it all to SFG. I don't know what kind of soil you are using in your beds but I strongly recommend using Mel's Mix.  It is certainly a joy to work with rather than the red ga clay (even if it has been heavily amended).  Also, trellising saves space.

yolos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Welcome!

Post  Windmere on 3/19/2014, 4:38 pm

Hi AtlantaMarie.  I live in Fayetteville just north of yolos.  Our weather has been crazy hasn't it?  I have 11 Earth Boxes and two 4x4 beds.  I agree with everyone about the Mel's Mix.  In our area of red clay, it is well worth the effort and cost.  I have one helpful tip.  Swint's Feed Store in Jonesboro has vermiculite.  Four cubic feet (coarse grade) for $24.00 (at least that's what I paid for it about a month ago).  Also, I visited Pike's nursery for some of my organic composts.  You might want to call ahead for availability and prices.  I bought my chicken compost, my earthworm castings and my vegetable compost from them.  I also bought some organic cow compost from them, but my batch had lots of rocks and bark I had to pick out.

Welcome, welcome!

Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 3/19/2014, 6:13 pm

Hi again.  Yes, we are using Mel's Mix.  I found course vermiculite at Northside Garden Center here in Buford.  It was a bit more than yours, Windmere, but at least I found it locally along with chicken compost & bat guano/kelp mix.  But I've heard of Swint's.  Just haven't been there because of the drive, lol.

Yes, vertical is very important.  The first rule of being a pack-rat is to learn how to pack (as much as possible into whatever space is available).

According to the plan my husband drew out, we will have 3 feet between rows.

Thanks for all the tips!  I'm grateful for any advice I can get.

AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 3/19/2014, 6:45 pm

@Windmere wrote:Hi AtlantaMarie.  I live in Fayetteville just north of yolos.  Our weather has been crazy hasn't it?  I have 11 Earth Boxes and two 4x4 beds.  I agree with everyone about the Mel's Mix.  In our area of red clay, it is well worth the effort and cost.  I have one helpful tip.  Swint's Feed Store in Jonesboro has vermiculite.  Four cubic feet (coarse grade) for $24.00 (at least that's what I paid for it about a month ago).  Also, I visited Pike's nursery for some of my organic composts.  You might want to call ahead for availability and prices.  I bought my chicken compost, my earthworm castings and my vegetable compost from them.  I also bought some organic cow compost from them, but my batch had lots of rocks and bark I had to pick out.

Welcome, welcome!
Windmere, I love Pike's chicken compost and earthworm castings. I think it is EB Stone brand.  Don't use their steer compost - Yuck.  I use black kow cow manure.  Very fine particles  and good texture.  I buy my black kow at Home Depot or Lowes once they get it in for the season or Gilroy's Hardware (on 54).  They keep it out back. I can't remember the price difference between the two stores.  Did you ever get any cotton compost from Swint's.

yolos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Steer manure

Post  Windmere on 3/19/2014, 8:59 pm

@yolos wrote:
@Windmere wrote:Hi AtlantaMarie.  I live in Fayetteville just north of yolos.  Our weather has been crazy hasn't it?  I have 11 Earth Boxes and two 4x4 beds.  I agree with everyone about the Mel's Mix.  In our area of red clay, it is well worth the effort and cost.  I have one helpful tip.  Swint's Feed Store in Jonesboro has vermiculite.  Four cubic feet (coarse grade) for $24.00 (at least that's what I paid for it about a month ago).  Also, I visited Pike's nursery for some of my organic composts.  You might want to call ahead for availability and prices.  I bought my chicken compost, my earthworm castings and my vegetable compost from them.  I also bought some organic cow compost from them, but my batch had lots of rocks and bark I had to pick out.

Welcome, welcome!
Windmere, I love Pike's chicken compost and earthworm castings. I think it is EB Stone brand.  Don't use their steer compost - Yuck.  I use black kow cow manure.  Very fine particles  and good texture.  I buy my black kow at Home Depot or Lowes once they get it in for the season or Gilroy's Hardware (on 54).  They keep it out back. I can't remember the price difference between the two stores.  Did you ever get any cotton compost from Swint's.
Hi yolos,

I certainly did learn the hard way with Pikes steer compost.  Fortunately, I just bought that one bag (it was a trial run).   It seems like I spent hours picking our the unusable bits.  For this next season,  I bought four bags of Black Kow from Lowes.  You're right about Black Kow.... it is consistently good quality as to fine particles and good texture.  I'm pretty sure I paid under five bucks a bag.

No, I never did get any cotton compost from Swint's.  I'm not in Jonesboro too often.  Nonetheless, I'm dying to know if it is organic.  I remember one person in another thread saying that her bag of cotton compost distinctly said that it did not contain pesticides. 

Hopefully our weather will hold up for a while.  I've seen the forecast and I foresee some hard core gardening in my future!

Windmere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 3/19/2014, 10:27 pm

Glenn Burns said something this evening about freezing next week...  But yeah, I'm ready.  I looked at my seedlings I planted on the 13th and a LOT of them are already coming up!

AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 3/19/2014, 11:26 pm

@Windmere wrote:

Hopefully our weather will hold up for a while.  I've seen the forecast and I foresee some hard core gardening in my future!
Nope, I think AtlantaMarie is right.  Listen to WSB in the morning at 20 minutes after the hour.  Kurt Melish is going to forecast for next week or two and my understanding is it won't be good.  Kurt Melish e-mailed one of the talk show hosts on WSB this week and convinced him to hold off planting.

yolos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere on 3/19/2014, 11:43 pm

@yolos wrote:
@Windmere wrote:

Nope, I think AtlantaMarie is right.  Listen to WSB in the morning at 20 minutes after the hour.  Kurt Melish is going to forecast for next week or two and my understanding is it won't be good.  Kurt Melish e-mailed one of the talk show hosts on WSB this week and convinced him to hold off planting.
Yuck... I was going off of an older forecast I guess.  I just checked and I see all those 30 something evening temps coming up.  And lots of rain to boot.  Well, I am just going to do some MM soil mixing for my two new Earth Boxes.   Also, I am going to mix up some straight compost for my existing beds.  I find that task to be the most challenging, so I think I'm going to try to get some of that out of the way.

I sure hope we don't have the horrible weather we had last year!  We had some bitter temps and some wacky rain.

Windmere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:02 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum