Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by sfg4uKim Today at 9:26 am

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 9:18 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by llama momma Today at 5:28 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by llama momma Today at 5:18 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by llama momma Today at 5:10 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by yolos Today at 12:13 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:52 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 4:02 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 3:27 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:04 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 12/5/2016, 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:50 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

winter squash

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: winter squash

Post  sanderson on 12/7/2014, 2:19 am

Thanks, guys. hungry

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12271

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 7/23/2015, 5:02 pm

Anyone know why the female flowers on my butternut vines turn yellow, shrivel up and fall off before opening?  
I have one fruit on one plant and all the rest past it do this.  The other plants do this without even giving me one fruit first.
Sad
CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 7/24/2015, 2:16 am

And, here I thought I was the only one seeing this with the squash. Smile

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 7/24/2015, 3:57 am

I had a huge earwig infestation in a garden the last couple of years, and sometimes this was happening to the squash flowers. I don't know if that or a similar pest could be contributing to your problem, but thought I would mention it. The connection I'm making between the young flowers and the earwigs is that I think earwigs love squash flowers, period, and may interfere with their growth at more stages than the one I've seen.

The one I've seen ... the later stage of flower development ... was when they crawled inside larger squash flowers by the dozens in a single day until my squash flowers were like water balloons filled with earwigs instead of water. They were really packed in there that tight. If nothing else, I don't see how pollination could be achieved if the entire inside of a flower is packed with bugs.

Maybe the earwigs wanted someplace to hide, maybe they wanted to eat the pollen, I don't know. But I had a devil of a time getting any squash besides patty pan the last two years, as either the flowers would wither and drop or they would be healthy for a day or maybe less, until they got filled with earwigs and eventually died. If somebody were to tell me these things are unrelated, that's fine, but I do wonder if the earwigs that found mature squash flowers so compelling might have been damaging the younger ones too.

Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 7/24/2015, 4:50 am

I have also found earwigs in the female blossoms, and of course ants in both male and female blossoms.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 7/25/2015, 12:03 pm

I went out and checked and there are no earwigs to be found. I think they're all in my house. Rolling Eyes  I did find that another butternut plant has started to form a fruit. I think I'll just cut the vines off behind the first fruits and let it go at that. Opinions please?

I have a mystery squash that sprung up as a volunteer. Anyone want to take a stab at what it is? I posted a picture of the leaves a few days ago in the New England forum and someone thought it looked like a pumpkin. That was before this fruit. Do pumpkins start like this? The lobed leaves are about 3 to 4 inches wide and this little fruit stem is a good 2 inches long.  The fruit is about an inch and a half long right now:
 I found it in the bush beans while I was picking beans this morning. 
CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 7/26/2015, 12:25 pm

I'm thinking that the above vine is a watermelon and not squash at all. But then a coworker gave me this:
I can't pierce the flesh with my thumbnail so it's a winter squash. Could it possibly be an overgrown Delicata? If so, I want to keep the seeds. Is it far along enough to keep the seeds? I'm such a squash ignoramus having not been able to grow it before due to SVB and powdery mildew, and need all the help I can get.

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 9/18/2016, 9:25 pm

OK, question...yeah, I am already thinking about next spring.  and what worked/didn't work this year, really.  I want to grow a winter squash.  I like acorn squash.  I almost amputated my finger trying to deal with a butternut once, so...a little leery.  I have no experience with spaghetti squash, but am not opposed to trying something new.

Thoughts?  I am in northern Ohio zone 5/6 depending on the year.....ya know.

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 3793

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 9/19/2016, 3:18 am

This butternut is my favorite as the neck is solid meat. It should grow great there. http://www.rareseeds.com/canada-crookneck-squ/

This is how I peel a Watham or the big part of a Canadian crookneck. http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-peel-squash-an-easier-w-72035

sanderson

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 9/19/2016, 7:25 am

I think I will give that one a try!  Thanks, Sanderson!

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 9/19/2016, 9:04 am

@Scorpio Rising wrote:I think I will give that one a try!  Thanks, Sanderson!
Me too. 

Greta's Organic Seeds which is not far from my house sells the seeds. The only problem for me is finding a place to grow it. I have a feeling that more of our backyard lawn is going to give way to vegetable garden space next Spring. Maybe I should start the conversion this Fall. I'll need to get the OK from management (AKA Mrs TD) before proceeding.

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA

trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 2189

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 9/19/2016, 1:42 pm

TD, what about a trellis out of the SFG, where the straw will keep errant vines and fruits off the dirt? Just a Mel's Trellis.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 9/19/2016, 1:58 pm

@sanderson wrote:TD,  what about a trellis out of the SFG, where the straw will keep errant vines and fruits off the dirt?  Just a Mel's Trellis.
sanderson ... Do you mean growing them in the regular soil part of the veggie garden and adding a trellis there? That would work. I had pretty good success with Acorn Squash this year in that area even though I had not amended the soil except for throwing down some home made compost.

This may sound anti-SFG (it's definitely not) but I would like to expand the regular veggie garden (e.g., to allow more room for potatoes). It seems a shame to not make use of the existing fertile soil while adding amendments to it to keep it fertile. I want to try that without digging it over each year which as we know wrecks what is going on down there (microbes, etc.). The only problem is with weeds and that seems to be solved by putting down a layer of straw. That is also a win win since the straw can also help with amending the soil and I use it in the compost bin. Smile

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA

trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 2189

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 9/19/2016, 3:08 pm

I love my SFG boxes! I love you Is it heresy that I have decided to expand into a 12" to 17" wide, long strip of unused dirt using BTE? I have 103 sq ft of SFG garden, 11 5-gal buckets, 2 sweet potato totes, and would love to double the SFG, but no room. What grass there is in the back yard is a cooling effect in the hot summers (feels so good on the bare feet!) and I have already halved it with my SFG TT beds. My winter squash is in a 2x4 box and the mother vines grow up and down and around. Then later, the daughter vines start sprawling out in all directions! Same with the cantaloupe box. Keep in mind that the vines can grow to 20' Shocked and your thick bed of straw will keep them off the dirt.

I plan to put the unruly determinate tomatoes, some hot peppers, and okra in the long BTE strip. That will help free up squares for more valuable plants like herbs, sweet peppers, eggplant,maybe tall tomatoes.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 9/19/2016, 9:06 pm

I think Mel would be all about that!  Using every bit of available space to its advantage.  That was and is the mantra of the SFG message.  Do it!  Oh, and pictures please!  Lol

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 9/19/2016, 9:40 pm

At least one of the members here, sfg4uKim, has made a squash arch with a couple cattle panels.  I think hers is in her BTE garden?  She wrote about it, if not here than on Facebook.  I think she has had good success with it for 2,3 or so years now. 

Here is an old thread that has cattle panel arches in it. Squash arch

I would love to have a squash arch but fear the wind would shred those big leaves.  If I like the couple of Thelma Sander's Sweet Potato squash I got this year I will grow it next year in the greenhouse on its interior arch.

I say use what ever gardening techniques that work best for you and your garden.  And that is a moving target. Razz

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT

Turan

Female Posts : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 9/19/2016, 9:53 pm

@Turan wrote:At least one of the members here, sfg4uKim, has made a squash arch with a couple cattle panels.  I think hers is in her BTE garden?  She wrote about it, if not here than on Facebook.  I think she has had good success with it for 2,3 or so years now. 

Here is an old thread that has cattle panel arches in it. Squash arch

I would love to have a squash arch but fear the wind would shred those big leaves.  If I like the couple of Thelma Sander's Sweet Potato squash I got this year I will grow it next year in the greenhouse on its interior arch.

I say use what ever gardening techniques that work best for you and your garden.  And that is a moving target. Razz
+1!

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 9/20/2016, 12:44 am

@Scorpio Rising wrote:OK, question...yeah, I am already thinking about next spring.  and what worked/didn't work this year, really.  I want to grow a winter squash.  I like acorn squash.  I almost amputated my finger trying to deal with a butternut once, so...a little leery.  I have no experience with spaghetti squash, but am not opposed to trying something new.

Thoughts?  I am in northern Ohio zone 5/6 depending on the year.....ya know.
I prefer the butternuts and delicatas to the deeply indented squash because I typically like to peel my squash first, and bumps and craters make that hard/dangerous. But Acorns I halve and bake with little sausages and a pat of butter inside, with the skin intact.

I planted Burpee's Butterbush really late this year, but based on what it's done so far, I'll be planting it again next year. Waltham butternut didn't work for me because of mildew problems. Lakota was too big for my small space. Tetsukabuto I will grow again, but it needs a different type to pollinate so I wouldn't recommend it as a first winter squash for a gardener. The delicatas haven't been doing well for me, but I don't know why. I'll probably try one more year in the current location and then switch to something else until I move.  My parents grew Table Queen acorn squash in Rochester, NY with fair/variable success.  I'm planning for spring, too - more towards C. max types, but I see Cream of the Crop acorn squash has good reviews on Baker's Creek. Sweet dumpling is another nice small squash to consider if you like acorns.

BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 465

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 9/21/2016, 11:41 am

I'll be growing the tromboncinos again fersure!  Yes, they get PM, but NO SVB!  What a Face And they can be used as a summer squash like zucchini, or left on the vine for a winter squash like butternut.
CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 9/21/2016, 1:49 pm

These are all good options and ideas!

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down