Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Biochar?
by Turan Today at 5:20 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by Turan Today at 4:54 pm

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Today at 2:21 pm

» Newbie from Ayrshire, West Coast of Scotland
by sanderson Today at 1:57 pm

» Today's Harvest
by countrynaturals Today at 11:58 am

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by countrynaturals Today at 11:34 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by countrynaturals Today at 11:27 am

» My Compost Bin
by SQWIB Today at 7:36 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Today at 3:38 am

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by sanderson Today at 3:07 am

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by LizDTM Today at 12:21 am

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:42 pm

» How to Grow Better Tomatoes
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:59 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:54 pm

» Helpful Beetles
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:45 pm

» Does MM improve with age?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:41 pm

» to mulch or not to mulch
by sanderson Yesterday at 7:36 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 7:19 pm

» Garlic Growing Lovers
by SQWIB Yesterday at 5:31 pm

» Gardening & Homesteading Skills Summit REGISTER NOW!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:23 am

» How much room for Tromboncino zucchini?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:08 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 10:20 am

» Thumbs Up????
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:03 am

» More Bad News for Bugs
by SQWIB Yesterday at 9:57 am

» What weed? is this? (with pic)
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:57 am

» Senseless Banter...
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2017, 8:26 pm

» Lower south Oct 2017
by brianj555 10/17/2017, 5:02 pm

» Sowing Experiment! Anyone Tried This?
by brianj555 10/17/2017, 4:50 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY - ENDS 10/20/17
by CapeCoddess 10/17/2017, 3:48 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Spider Mites?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Spider Mites?

Post  countrynaturals on 5/2/2017, 10:46 am

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:Spider mites like hot, dry conditions. I'd go for either boiling water poured into/over the pots, or once it gets really hot out, each pot+dirt gets to spend a few days in the freezer. Spider mites survive the winter because daylight changes let them know it's coming and they make physiological changes accordingly - but a sudden change without warning seems likely to be lethal.
Make sure your infected plants aren't where winds can blow from them towards your growing areas. The mites use their webbing to windsurf.
 GRRRRR! Windsurfing? Really?  I like the boiling water idea. I may try that multiple times. Twisted Evil If nothing else, it will be good therapy as I remember each plant that succumbed to the little monsters.

My deck is a long way from any regular growing areas, but very close to my potted citrus trees. Will the little #$%s get on them?
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2679
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Spider Mites?

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 5/2/2017, 11:48 am

countrynaturals wrote:
My deck is a long way from any regular growing areas, but very close to my potted citrus trees. Will the little #$%s get on them?
Probably -- but if your citrus trees have been in that location for awhile and were susceptible I'd think they'd already have them. The spider mites came from somewhere (outside?) after all. Misting with water once or twice a day might help since the mites prefer dry (and especially stressed/under-watered) plants.
avatar
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1237
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Spider Mites?

Post  countrynaturals on 5/3/2017, 4:52 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:
My deck is a long way from any regular growing areas, but very close to my potted citrus trees. Will the little #$%s get on them?
Probably -- but if your citrus trees have been in that location for awhile and were susceptible I'd think they'd already have them. The spider mites came from somewhere (outside?) after all. Misting with water once or twice a day might help since the mites prefer dry (and especially stressed/under-watered) plants.
thanks , Beetles. It looks like I'm losing every plant I grew inside over the winter. Sad
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2679
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Spider Mites?

Post  sanderson on 5/4/2017, 1:22 pm

CN, Have you sprayed them with Neem oil solution? Mist with water between spraying? You, Audrey and I all suffer from spider mites.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14779
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Spider Mites?

Post  countrynaturals on 5/4/2017, 1:38 pm

sanderson wrote:CN,  Have you sprayed them with Neem oil solution?  Mist with water between spraying?  You, Audrey and I all suffer from spider mites.
Can't find Neem oil or seaweed. Today I used that Garden Safe 3 in 1 spray and I read a recipe that calls for cinnamon, cloves, Italian seasoning and fresh garlic, but I don't have any garlic, so I can't try that one, yet. I lost most of my ground cherries, all of my purple basil, and most of my lemon balm, bee balm, and too much else to list. I had to buy plants to make up for what I lost in cukes and melons. Sad I am going to replant all seeds, lick my wounds, and move on. Note to self: BE MORE VIGILANT! If I had identified the problem sooner, I could be winning this war by now. Mad
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2679
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Spider Mites?

Post  sanderson on 5/4/2017, 1:54 pm

Garden Safe 3 has Neem oil as an ingredient. I have Green Light Neem Oil concentrate and make up a batch as needed. I have a small basket of spray bottles marked for different products, i.e., milk, Neem oil, Dr. Bronner's soap, etc.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14779
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Spider Mites?

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 5/4/2017, 2:11 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:
My deck is a long way from any regular growing areas, but very close to my potted citrus trees. Will the little #$%s get on them?
Probably -- but if your citrus trees have been in that location for awhile and were susceptible I'd think they'd already have them. The spider mites came from somewhere (outside?) after all. Misting with water once or twice a day might help since the mites prefer dry (and especially stressed/under-watered) plants.
thanks , Beetles. It looks like I'm losing every plant I grew inside over the winter. Sad
I'm so sorry you lost so much. Sad
avatar
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1237
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Spider Mites?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum