Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:14 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 9:52 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 9:45 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 9:08 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by trolleydriver Today at 9:04 am

» Amaranth
by dstack Today at 8:05 am

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 4:09 am

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by sanderson Today at 4:03 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:42 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:42 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 2:04 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts Yesterday at 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess 12/3/2016, 12:32 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 3:39 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

How Would You Arrange These TTs?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How Would You Arrange These TTs?

Post  rabbithutch on 4/11/2014, 9:47 am

At long last, I've come down to actually placing the TTs I built in the back yard; but before I do, I need to pick the brains of all you more experienced SFG'rs.

I have picked out a spot approximately 16'x16' that gets sun 10 or more hours a day in Summer and more in Winter when there are no leaves on the trees.  The 3 TTs are 4x4, 4x4, and 4x10.  I need your advice on how to arrange them relative to each other and to the compass.  Partial shading is not an issue.  I have water close by.  Location is convenient to back door.  The only real issue is orientation because - as per ANSFG - taller plants will be placed on the North side of the beds so they will not shade shorter plants.  Options are shown below

Option 1 - "A" being as shown; "B" reversing large and small relative to each other

Option 2 - "A" being as shown; "B" reversing large and small relative to each other

So, the question is which grouping would you choose - 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B - and why (or does it not matter)?

Another question is whether or not it matters that a side is true to North?  Is there any reason that they cannot be off true North by as much as 15-25°?  The reason for this question is because lot lines with fencing do not run on true headings.  Placing the TTs on true headings will put them at odd angles to the fence.

rabbithutch

Male Posts : 293

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How Would You Arrange These TTs?

Post  walshevak on 4/11/2014, 3:05 pm

1A  Because I would set up trellises along the long N edge of the big bed and put a cattle panel to make an arch between the E W sides of the short beds.  If the little beds are at least 4 ft from the big bed, you can also have trellis on 3 squares on the N sides of the short beds.

Your N is close enough.  Mine are square to the house not the compass.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rabbithutch on 4/11/2014, 3:22 pm

@walshevak wrote:1A  Because I would set up trellises along the long N edge of the big bed and put a cattle panel to make an arch between the E W sides of the short beds.  If the little beds are at least 4 ft from the big bed, you can also have trellis on 3 squares on the N sides of the short beds.

Your N is close enough.  Mine are square to the house not the compass.

Kay

Thank you, Kay!

That is exactly the sort of advice I was seeking.  Once these things get filled (if that ever ACTUALLY happens) I know that I will never move them.

I should have stated that my plan calls for 4' between all boxes.  I was a bit leery of having trellises across the whole 10' length of the big bed.  I will plant tomatoes, for sure, but don't really know any other vining plants I might want to plant.  Eggplant comes to mind, but what do I do to rotate things season to season with that one long side dedicated to things needing support?

I know these question reflect my ignorance of the process and problems.  I hope they are not too wearisome.

rabbithutch

Male Posts : 293

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener on 4/11/2014, 4:04 pm

I would chose 1A. It's sort of what we have going on here. We also are not perfectly square "north", but almossies count Smile haha. for me, I like the longer bed on the back and then you have the option of putting up a trellis for tall vining crops. If you don't use it, it's OK, it'll just be there if you need it. I posted some pics of our garden in "moved our beds" post. I THINK there are some pics there :0) Good luck!!

southern gardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 4/11/2014, 7:04 pm

rabbithutch, re trellising and crop rotation -- could you consider your two smaller beds, say, A and B respectively, and then your big one both C and D? Divide your big bed in half (more or less), and then rotate tomatoes and/or other vining crops between the north sides of A, B, C, and D?

Re other vining crops you might like growing, do you like beans or cucumbers or malabar spinach or borage or squash of any kind? Or even peas, or, hmm ... kiwi fruit?

And it may not be the most popular thing, but ... determinate tomatoes stuck in pots can do quite well too, so you don't necessarily need a trellis if you want to grow tomatoes. I'm going to grow both determinates and indeterminates this year, partly because I don't have enough trellis space on well-rotated soil to grow just indeterminates. The bush tomatoes are too big in beds IMO, but can do great in pots.

Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:34 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum