Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Live and learn
by Mikesgardn Today at 4:22 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 2:42 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Today at 2:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Today at 2:08 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals Today at 2:04 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by countrynaturals Today at 2:01 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 Today at 1:56 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 1:44 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts Today at 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 12/2/2016, 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals 12/2/2016, 1:13 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Powdery mildew already?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Powdery mildew already?

Post  Retired Member 1 on 4/29/2010, 6:07 pm

Somebody please tell me NO.

These are two zucchini plants -- same variety. Could that be powdery mildew, and if so will Neem oil control it? Mine is on order but will be here in a couple of days.

Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Powdery mildew already?

Post  elliephant on 4/29/2010, 6:47 pm

Sure, I'll tell you no.

Now, I'm certainly no expert, but I've googled powdery mildew zucchini plants a time or two, including an image search, because I've had the same question about my plants.

You've got what I've got, which is more of a "silver" mottling on the leaves and from what I understand, that is perfectly natural. Powdery mildew is white, usually starts as round spots, and can be rubbed off.

Also, powdery mildew turns the leaves yellow pretty quickly and kills them. Here's a pic of my bigger plant from last week. You'll see that it is thriving and it has had that silvery look to it for many weeks now.

elliephant

Female Posts : 842

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 on 4/30/2010, 12:32 pm

Whew! Thanks. I get powdery mildew each year, but usually not until July/ Aug. I just don't remember the leaves going greyish this early.

What is that you have growing in with the zucchini? Looks like a great living mulch.

Retired Member 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant on 4/30/2010, 1:26 pm

belfrybat wrote:

What is that you have growing in with the zucchini? Looks like a great living mulch.

Actually, if you look closely in the lower right corner, you'll see some white...that's all that's visible of the 2+ foot square box the squash is planted in...the grey beyond it is the weed fabric wrapped piece of cardboard I sat the box on. The green all around is just what grows wild in our backyard...no idea what it is When we started renting the house last summer there was a drought and nothing was growing in the backyard. Now there's a mess of green, but very little of it is grass, lol. Thank goodness for SFG; our backyard is a piece of work, but my gardens are tidy!

elliephant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant on 5/1/2010, 11:13 pm

Hope your plants are doing okay, because mine aren't! I'd gotten so used to the silvery look of the plant that I didn't notice the real thing coming on! This morning I noticed PM on my smaller plant (6 weeks behind the bigger one...took me 3 tries to get a seed sprouted in that box) and when I examined the big one more closely I realized it has it too, and bad! It's come on so quickly that from now on I will ALWAYS do a preventative neem oil spray. I got some today and did what I could, but I'm not sure if the big plant will recover. The small one I'm pretty sure will be fine, because it only had a little, but the big one was already starting to yellow...noticed that yesterday and was doing a bit of googling and was going to check more closely today. The silvery mottling makes it much less noticable until I look at the underside of the leaves.

And then I found some on my cucumbers that have been doing so well! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, well, guess this is a learning experience!

elliephant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 on 5/2/2010, 11:38 am

Oh Ellie, I'm so sorry. The Neem oil arrived Friday so I think I'll do a light preventative spraying as well. This has been such a crazy year weather-wise that most plants are in shock. 90 one day, a light freeze the next, then back to the 09's. No wonder they are going bonkers. My poor bulbing onions just gave up and sent up seed stalks and the basil is bolting already. Poor babies.

Retired Member 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nichole on 7/22/2010, 11:27 am

I'm pretty sure I also have powdery mildew! Is neem oil something organic? Where do you get it or is a catalog only item? Any other solutions? Help!!!!

nichole

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 7/22/2010, 11:35 am

Click here for a brief rundown on Powdery Mildew.

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  jenjehle on 7/22/2010, 10:52 pm

Just yesterday I pulled out all my squash & zucchini plants due to an infestation of PM. The only one I still have left if my Butternut squash plant. The plant has produced a beautiful bn squash and it's still growing; I hate to take the plant out while it's still growing fruit. But the leaves look pretty bad.

I did add some fresh blended compost from my local nursery into each bare area and planted some new zucc seeds. I figured the worse that can happen is I won't get any more fruit by the end of the season. Doesn't hurt to try. They grew SO fast first time I thought I'd try my luck at a second round.

My pickling cuks are covered in various places too with PM. For now, they're still growing and producing. I sprayed all the leaves I could find that were affected with a homemade, organic spray made from water, garlic, dish detergent, and baking soda. Found the recipe in "Jeff Cox's 100 Greatest Garden Ideas" book. Says to spray every two weeks. I may do it a little more often if it gets worse. The trellis's at the back of my boxes are covered with vining pickling cuks and pole beans, all mixed in together. Don't see any way I can remove the cuk plants without destroying the beans. So for now, they all stay.

Never tried Neem Oil. Do you all highly recommend it? Apparently, PM is running crazy in our area; many people noticing it since we've had very little rain lately but very high temps and high humidity.

Best of luck to everyone else!

jenjehle

Female Posts : 248

View user profile http://picasaweb.google.com/107169543203897472824?feat=email

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop on 7/22/2010, 11:13 pm

Jen, I'm pretty sure us mid/west great lakes folks are gonna get his bad with PM, the wet, humidy, hot, wet, humidy cycle is horrible.

I used neem oil last year, but by that point it was too far. It is better to put on the neem/copper/baking soda as prevention and then repeat to control. Always try to get the underside of leaves also. and remove when you need to and take far away.

It "ate" my cukes and sketti squash last year Sad

chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

View user profile http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:27 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum