Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in December 2017
by Scorpio Rising Today at 9:31 pm

» Julia Child's French Onion Soup
by trolleydriver Today at 8:37 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Today at 7:18 pm

» jalapeno variety question?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 5:58 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 5:56 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Today at 5:17 pm

» Indoor Container Garden - City Living
by countrynaturals Today at 4:45 pm

» who has chickens
by countrynaturals Today at 3:49 pm

» Air Fryer! HELP!
by countrynaturals Today at 12:05 pm

» Spring Fever Anyone?
by plantoid Today at 10:59 am

» has55's R & D Journey
by trolleydriver Today at 8:00 am

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:26 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Roseinarosecity Yesterday at 10:03 pm

» Sweet Potatoes
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 5:36 pm

» Areogardening
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:45 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:55 am

» What's Up? Yukon gold potatoes!
by saganco Yesterday at 11:11 am

» N&C MW; Deep Winter December/January 2017-2018
by Scorpio Rising 12/15/2017, 7:57 pm

» Garden Clean-Up/Preparation
by Scorpio Rising 12/15/2017, 7:53 pm

» CarbSmart (tm) Potatoes
by sanderson 12/15/2017, 1:41 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by Kelejan 12/15/2017, 7:51 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 12/14/2017, 10:42 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 12/14/2017, 11:01 am

» New England December 2017
by AtlantaMarie 12/14/2017, 6:32 am

» Sauerkraut & fermenting veggies
by brianj555 12/13/2017, 5:28 pm

» Tomato Questions
by sanderson 12/13/2017, 3:04 pm

» Mid-South: December 2017
by AtlantaMarie 12/13/2017, 8:24 am

» New Composter - Need Help Filling Correctly
by saganco 12/12/2017, 9:10 pm

» December Avatar: 'Tis The Season!
by sanderson 12/12/2017, 2:29 pm

» The Research Journey:cardboard covering of newly planted seeds
by saganco 12/12/2017, 1:15 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Ground Cherries

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Ground Cherries

Post  elysia on 2/26/2017, 8:36 pm

Beetlespersqft :  I am so forum illiterate!  Have no idea what happened to the original response I had to this!  Tried to "quote" you and respond....oh well - thank goodness this is a gardening forum and not a tech forum!!!   Shocked

anyways - no recipe, just tomatoes, peppers, onions, lime juice and cilantro!  The ground cherries add just enough of the sweetness with the spicy I love...  I hope to try jam this year!  Smile
avatar
elysia

Female Posts : 76
Join date : 2012-03-23
Location : SW South Dakota

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ground Cherries

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 2/27/2017, 8:07 am

@elysia wrote:Beetlespersqft :  I am so forum illiterate!  Have no idea what happened to the original response I had to this!  Tried to "quote" you and respond....oh well - thank goodness this is a gardening forum and not a tech forum!!!   Shocked

anyways - no recipe, just tomatoes, peppers, onions, lime juice and cilantro!  The ground cherries add just enough of the sweetness with the spicy I love...  I hope to try jam this year!  Smile
I don't think it's you - I've lost responses, too.

I'll be growing everything except the lime juice. Cool
avatar
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1329
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ground Cherries

Post  countrynaturals on 2/27/2017, 11:32 am

@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:

I'll be growing everything except the lime juice. Cool
LOL! I've got that covered.
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2965
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Ground Cherries

Post  countrynaturals on 3/22/2017, 1:38 pm

This doesn't look right to me. The plants all seem healthy enough, but they all have speckled leaves. Help? 
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2965
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Ground Cherries

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 3/22/2017, 3:31 pm

That looks like spider mites to me. Very tiny. They hide on the undersides of the leaves. Here's one thread (I bet there are others - but I'm distracted and supposed to be doing other things right now!)
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t19738-spider-mites-on-tomato-leaves
avatar
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1329
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ground Cherries

Post  sanderson on 3/22/2017, 3:37 pm

Looks like spider mites to me. I battle them in the hot summer.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 15085
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 69
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ground Cherries

Post  countrynaturals on 3/22/2017, 3:41 pm

Thanks, but I don't think so. The leaves are all clean, top and bottom. Nothing shakes off and nothing moves. They were grown inside from seed. They get Miracle Gro every week, so I don't think it's nutritional. Ventilation not great in here. Maybe some kind of fungus? I have that organic 3 in 1 spray stuff I could try. Maybe I'll do that on just one plant and see what happens. geek They're still in the house, so no friendly critters would be exposed.
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2965
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Ground Cherries

Post  Scorpio Rising on 3/22/2017, 8:06 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:Thanks, but I don't think so. The leaves are all clean, top and bottom. Nothing shakes off and nothing moves. They were grown inside from seed. They get Miracle Gro every week, so I don't think it's nutritional. Ventilation not great in here. Maybe some kind of fungus? I have that organic 3 in 1 spray stuff I could try. Maybe I'll do that on just one plant and see what happens. geek They're still in the house, so no friendly critters would be exposed.
Either that or put a fan on them lightly...they coulnd't have gotten suns and, could they?  Doesn't look quite like it, but reaching here.
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5532
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ground Cherries

Post  countrynaturals on 3/22/2017, 8:31 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:Thanks, but I don't think so. The leaves are all clean, top and bottom. Nothing shakes off and nothing moves. They were grown inside from seed. They get Miracle Gro every week, so I don't think it's nutritional. Ventilation not great in here. Maybe some kind of fungus? I have that organic 3 in 1 spray stuff I could try. Maybe I'll do that on just one plant and see what happens. geek They're still in the house, so no friendly critters would be exposed.
Either that or put a fan on them lightly...they coulnd't have gotten suns and, could they?  Doesn't look quite like it, but reaching here.
I think you're right about the fan. I'll try it.
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2965
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Ground Cherries

Post  RoOsTeR on 3/22/2017, 9:25 pm

I'm by far no expert, and they're incredibly hard to see, but that certainly looks like spider mites to me.

____________________________


I am my gardens worst enemy.
avatar
RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 4316
Join date : 2011-10-04
Location : Colorado Front Range

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ground Cherries

Post  countrynaturals on 3/22/2017, 10:12 pm

@RoOsTeR wrote:I'm by far no expert, and they're incredibly hard to see, but that certainly looks like spider mites to me.
I brought another plant in and looked at it under my magnifying light and I think you're right. I did see some tiny little somethings. I will spray them all with that organic stuff and see what happens. Thank you all.
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2965
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Ground Cherries

Post  Cajun Cappy on 3/23/2017, 11:04 am

Ok I am still kinda skeptical bout these things as I understand it they spread out and take up space.  That kinda goes against my style.  regular cherry maters like sweet 100's or something grow up trellesis make buckets full of fruit and I plant 5 across the 4 ft side of a box and still can plant other stuff twords the middle in the same square.  I cant imagine them being so good they can take over a corner of a box it kinda defeats the purpose dont it?????
avatar
Cajun Cappy

Male Posts : 632
Join date : 2014-12-06
Age : 59
Location : South Louisiana zone 10

View user profile http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Ground Cherries

Post  CapeCoddess on 3/23/2017, 11:32 am

Cappy, you could stick a couple in a sunny corner of your yard somewhere. They are fine off on their own.
CC
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6509
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ground Cherries

Post  countrynaturals on 3/23/2017, 12:34 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:
@RoOsTeR wrote:I'm by far no expert, and they're incredibly hard to see, but that certainly looks like spider mites to me.
I brought another plant in and looked at it under my magnifying light and I think you're right. I did see some tiny little somethings. I will spray them all with that organic stuff and see what happens. Thank you all.
Decided to only spray one and it looks worse this morning. Now the leaves are starting to die around the edges. I decided to try washing all the leaves with warm water. One little plant was loaded with tiny, fine webs. Other plants, like amaranth aren't doing well, either. Time to find a cure. I did a search here and found that seaweed is the answer. Hopefully I can find some, today. bounce
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2965
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Ground Cherries

Post  CapeCoddess on 3/23/2017, 3:24 pm

This is rather sad, Country. Did you try insecticidal soap, or even dish soap, already?
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6509
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ground Cherries

Post  countrynaturals on 3/23/2017, 4:58 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:This is rather sad, Country.  Did you try insecticidal soap, or even dish soap, already?
Not yet, just water so far, but I ordered something organic from Ace that's supposed to work. We'll see. geek
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2965
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Ground Cherries

Post  RoOsTeR on 3/23/2017, 9:19 pm

In my opinion, you won't find any magic solutions to get rid of spider mites. A mild dish soap and water mixed in a spray bottle, and plants moved out doors will produce just about as good results as anything else. Again, just my opinion and what I've experienced. YMMV.

____________________________


I am my gardens worst enemy.
avatar
RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 4316
Join date : 2011-10-04
Location : Colorado Front Range

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ground Cherries

Post  Scorpio Rising on 3/23/2017, 9:25 pm

Ooo...webs...I would use Joy or Dawn diluted.....fast.
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5532
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ground Cherries

Post  sanderson on 3/24/2017, 2:20 am

I had to look up YMMV. Your mileage may vary. Razz  Dr. Bronner's liquid soap and water seems to work for me. Spider Mites thrive in the hot summer in CA so I even spray to keep the humidity up.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 15085
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 69
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ground Cherries

Post  Scorpio Rising on 3/24/2017, 10:09 pm

Wow...never thought about that.....afro
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5532
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ground Cherries

Post  countrynaturals on 3/25/2017, 11:29 am

My big plants seem okay, so I guess they got off to a good start before the spider mites found them. My little guys aren't doing too well. I will watch them all closely and repeat treatments as necessary. I WILL PREVAIL!  Twisted Evil
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2965
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Ground Cherries

Post  Scorpio Rising on 3/25/2017, 8:13 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:My big plants seem okay, so I guess they got off to a good start before the spider mites found them. My little guys aren't doing too well. I will watch them all closely and repeat treatments as necessary. I WILL PREVAIL!  Twisted Evil
 Those plants are so productive you will be fine with a few healthy ones!  Unless you do a lot of preserving, which I do zero.
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5532
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ground Cherries

Post  countrynaturals on 3/25/2017, 8:42 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:My big plants seem okay, so I guess they got off to a good start before the spider mites found them. My little guys aren't doing too well. I will watch them all closely and repeat treatments as necessary. I WILL PREVAIL!  Twisted Evil
 Those plants are so productive you will be fine with a few healthy ones!  Unless you do a lot of preserving, which I do zero.
Hubby does all the cooking in our house. If he likes them, he will do a lot of preserving. If not, the chickens will get them and that will be the end of it.  Rolling Eyes I really hope we like them. They are so unique. Cool
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2965
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Ground Cherries

Post  countrynaturals on 4/2/2017, 3:29 pm

I definitely started these babies too soon. I'm still at least 2 weeks from being able to set them out, I've already transplanted them twice, and now I have blooms and fruit forming. Shocked I sure hope they forgive me. Embarassed
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2965
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Ground Cherries

Post  CapeCoddess on 4/2/2017, 3:59 pm

Mine did that my first time. No worries, other than the space they are taking up. It doesn't seem to make any difference in transplanted performance
They are tuff old birds.
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6509
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ground Cherries

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum