Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by GardenGal Today at 6:38 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 Today at 6:11 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by jimmy cee Today at 5:35 pm

by trolleydriver Today at 4:14 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 1:32 pm

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 12:57 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by sanderson Today at 12:40 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Today at 12:32 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 10:56 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Today at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Today at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Today at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Today at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:52 pm

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver 12/1/2016, 5:23 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 1:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from South of Dallas

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from South of Dallas

Post  once111 on 5/16/2014, 3:52 am

Hello. I'm from Rice, TX, a little spot on I-45 south of Dallas.  Blink and you'll miss it, unless your speeding...lol!  I am just starting SFG, actually I am starting and my Mom is growing.  Today I built two 4x4 boxes for her and got the mix done and filled in one of them.

I have been reading posts here for a few days, and I really like what I have seen.  It is nice to have people to bounce questions off, who have real experience with things I am/will be facing.  And the fact that there are allot of members from the DFW area, who live and deal with the same weather and climate issues I do (hot and humid, gotta love it), I know I will be able to get good advice for my local issues.

I am getting a bit of a late start this year, but I hope to plant in the next few days.  I plan on using, when I can, plants rather than seeds, to get a jump start on my late start.  I know I will have lots of questions for y'all, so please be patient with me.

Happy Gardening,
Clayton

once111

Male Posts : 7

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from South of Dallas

Post  walshevak on 5/16/2014, 7:42 am

glad you\'re here   One thing I noticed right away is the grass under your bed.  Most of the members find removing the grass or a layer of weedcloth between the grass and the Mel's Mix saves weeding problems later.  Tomatoes, peppers, okra, eggplant and direct sown beans should grow this summer and you are in a location for a great fall garden.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 5/16/2014, 8:40 am

Hi Clayton.  Welcome!

I'm guessing from the boxes I see in the background that you might be using them on the bottom of your squares...?

That's what we did WITH the addition of a good layer of newspaper and 2 layers of weed-cloth sandwiching it all.

Looks good!  I'm sure you & your mom will do great.

AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 3764

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TxGramma on 5/16/2014, 9:44 am

Clayton, welcome to the forum. Not sure what depth your boxes are (assuming 2x6's) but you might want to consider adding another layer on top of them (a 2x4 would work). In our hot summers you will be glad to have it. You are going to need room to add some mulch to the top of your beds to help retain moisture and to keep the MM cooler. If you do that you will not have to water as often and it will help your plants during the hottest part of the summer.  I'm in the Houston area, my boxes are made out of 2x10's and the extra depth really does help. I have plenty of room to put 6-8" of MM and still have room for a couple of inches of mulch. I have to water less often after I added the mulch to my beds than when it wasn't on there. Tomatoes will be the main thing you will have to worry about as they will stop setting fruit once temps hit 90 degrees. If you can keep the plants and their roots cooler you will be able to keep them producing longer. Good luck and happy gardening!

TxGramma

Female Posts : 199

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 5/16/2014, 1:07 pm

Clayton,  Welcome to the Forum!   glad you\'re here 

I second what Tx Gramma wrote.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12249

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  once111 on 5/17/2014, 2:24 am

@walshevak wrote:One thing I noticed right away is the grass under your bed.  Most of the members find removing the grass or a layer of weedcloth between the grass and the Mel's Mix saves weeding problems later...  
I did do as AtlantaMarie said and put a layer of cardboard under the boxes to try and block out the weeds.  I read somewhere about this, and they claimed that in a few years the weeds/grass would give up and the cardboard would deteriorate and add to the compost.  I liked that idea, but I hope I didn't mess up by not putting a weed barrier down as well.

once111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  once111 on 5/17/2014, 2:32 am

@TxGramma wrote:... but you might want to consider adding another layer on top of them (a 2x4 would work). In our hot summers you will be glad to have it. You are going to need room to add some mulch to the top of your beds to help retain moisture and to keep the MM cooler... 
I like that. Today we were setting up the second box, and I talked about the taller boxes and mulch with mom.  She liked the idea right away, so I think we will be getting some 2x4's to add on top of the 2x6's.  Anything that will help with the 100 degree weather in the summer sounds great.  Does mulch help with keeping the soil warmer in the winter as well?  I know in houses insulation works both ways, so I wonder if that's the case here too.

once111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 5/17/2014, 6:41 am

@once111 wrote:
@walshevak wrote:One thing I noticed right away is the grass under your bed.  Most of the members find removing the grass or a layer of weedcloth between the grass and the Mel's Mix saves weeding problems later...  
I did do as AtlantaMarie said and put a layer of cardboard under the boxes to try and block out the weeds.  I read somewhere about this, and they claimed that in a few years the weeds/grass would give up and the cardboard would deteriorate and add to the compost.  I liked that idea, but I hope I didn't mess up by not putting a weed barrier down as well.
Cardboard can work.  I'm just glad you put something down.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 5/17/2014, 9:47 am

@walshevak wrote:
@once111 wrote:
Cardboard can work.  I'm just glad you put something down.

Kay

I use cardboard on the bottom of all my beds and it works great.  I still get weeds blown in and from my own compost but they are easy to pick out.

yolos

Female Posts : 2856

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:52 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum