Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Today's Harvest
by Roseinarosecity Today at 12:26 am

» New England Nov 2017
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:01 pm

» Happy Thanksgiving All!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:51 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:30 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:33 pm

» Microgreens Gardening
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 11:55 am

» My new compost heap
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:20 am

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by Robbomb116 11/21/2017, 11:55 am

» Alternative cover to straw for overwintering strawberries.
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/21/2017, 9:38 am

» First Frost!
by brianj555 11/20/2017, 3:27 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 11:29 am

» How Many Square Feet Do You Have?
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 8:56 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by countrynaturals 11/19/2017, 1:16 pm

» The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/19/2017, 11:14 am

» Tomato Questions
by brianj555 11/19/2017, 11:07 am

» N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017
by Scorpio Rising 11/18/2017, 7:34 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY #5 - ENDS 11/17/17
by brianj555 11/18/2017, 4:12 pm

» What I learned this year
by countrynaturals 11/18/2017, 1:45 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver 11/18/2017, 9:26 am

» First Tromboncino female flower
by countrynaturals 11/17/2017, 5:51 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 11/17/2017, 1:59 pm

» Free lunaria seeds
by hammock gal 11/17/2017, 10:12 am

» Plastic containers / trash cans?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 10:33 pm

» Mels book
by Scorpio Rising 11/16/2017, 7:04 pm

» Mid-Atl - Nov 2017 - Warming Up AGAIN?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 4:17 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:59 pm

» Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:41 pm

» Pickle recipes
by sanderson 11/15/2017, 4:12 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!

Post  countrynaturals on 8/22/2017, 11:58 am

@hammock gal wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:
@hammock gal wrote:
@CapeCoddess wrote:Lucky you, HG!  Wish I had more snakes.  Maybe that would take care of the chipmunk & rabbit population explosion.
I don't know about that, CC. This guy is pretty small. Maybe he could handle a mouse. darn funny
I saw one scooting through the garden this morning that was so tiny a mouse could handle it. Shocked It was only about 6" long and fast. Not really sure what it was. Anybody ever see a snake that small?

Hmmm...maybe a skink? Could it have had tiny legs? If it was moving really fast, it might have been easy to miss the legs.
Not a clue and haven't seen it since. Just another garden mystery. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2844

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 8/23/2017, 1:01 am

@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:Fawn in my backyard. I know there are lots of deer where I am, but I don't often see them.
Cute!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14948

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 8/28/2017, 11:42 am

Our gardens are a beehive of activity this morning. The creatures seem to be sensing that summer is coming to an end.  The visitors are not strange but they are wonderful. Some are desirable and some not so much. We have squirrels and chipmunks running around, looking for food and hiding food. And we have a multitude of flying insects, especially on the flowers in Mrs TD's flower gardens.

I made a video of a bee on a cosmos flower. You may hear the pond waterfall in the background noise. Not sure if the video link will work so please let me know.

https://tinyurl.com/yaeadm64

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 3871

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 8/28/2017, 1:34 pm

I love you

sanderson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 8/28/2017, 8:38 pm

Cute fawn!  And cute bee!  As for the super fast mini-snake, it could be a skink or a baby garter.  As for size, adult garters will eat baby rodents, of which there are many.  So they may not be eating the mom and dad, but they are keeping the progeny in check!  Go Garters!  
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5467

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 8/30/2017, 2:13 pm

The dreaded Japanese Beetle enjoying a feast. We have not had as many this year and Mrs TD's rose bushes act as a "trap crop" to lure them away from the veggie garden. This one is in the SFG.

Ottawa, Canada
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 8/30/2017, 7:57 pm

Don't get me started.  I hate them.  Didn't plant pole beans this year because of them. They skeletonize my hollyhocks every year.  I did the stupid and expensive 'yard treatment' for them...BS.  Don't bother.
Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 8/30/2017, 11:09 pm

@trolleydriver wrote:The dreaded Japanese Beetle enjoying a feast. We have not had as many this year and Mrs TD's rose bushes act as a "trap crop" to lure them away from the veggie garden. This one is in the SFG.
My roses also act as a trap crop! Then the mockingbirds eat them!

sanderson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 8/31/2017, 6:51 pm

In the first photo below there are some JBs making out on a rose leaf and the second photo shows the flowers on that same plant.  The third photo shows bees huddling together in one of my squash flowers to keep warm from the cold temperature this morning.

Ottawa, Canada
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 9/14/2017, 3:04 pm

Anyone know what is this insect? We have several of them in our yard. This one was on a second floor window.

Ottawa, Canada
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 9/14/2017, 6:24 pm

Looks like my leaf-footed bug/insect. How did they get way over there! Shocked

I use the DustBuster and a container of soapy water. The nymphs are beautiful aliens and often have parents with them.

sanderson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 9/18/2017, 5:08 pm

@sanderson wrote:Looks like my leaf-footed bug/insect.  How did they get way over there! Shocked

I use the DustBuster and a container of soapy water.  The nymphs are beautiful aliens and often have parents with them.
Sanderson, I think that is what they must be. The ones I saw were quite big, about 1".  They are relative newcomers to these parts.

I found the following on the Royal Ontario Museum website:

"At this time of year, this is one of the most common insects that you might run into. They are relatively new to our fauna since they were not found in Ontario until about 1985. The Western Conifer Seed Bug or Leaf footed bug (Leptoglossus occidentalis, family Coreidae) is native to the West coast of North America and has slowly moved east (into Europe as well). It is adapted to a little milder climate and doesn’t really like Ontario winters (me either!). So what does it do in the fall? It looks for a nice, warm place to overwinter ...! Most of the time they will go below the leaf litter on the forest floor or some other sheltered area but heated buildings suit them just fine."

More at https://www.rom.on.ca/en/blog/bugs-are-moving-not-bed-bugs-time

Today we had Painted Lady (I think) butterflies visiting the Sedum next to our pond. They allowed me to take photos.

Ottawa, Canada
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

HUGE BLACK BEAR!

Post  countrynaturals on 9/22/2017, 11:01 am

Shocked Definitely strange since our property is fully fenced, but not so wonderful since we have goats and chickens. Naturally it happened in the middle of the night, so I haven't had a lot of sleep. We haven't checked for damage yet this morning but it does seem this guy was well-behaved. As soon as Bob shined the light on him, he ambled away and hopefully never comes back. (Don't know why, but bears are all "he" to me without knowing the actual sex. Rolling Eyes)
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on 9/22/2017, 5:19 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:Shocked Definitely strange since our property is fully fenced, but not so wonderful since we have goats and chickens. Naturally it happened in the middle of the night, so I haven't had a lot of sleep. We haven't checked for damage yet this morning but it does seem this guy was well-behaved. As soon as Bob shined the light on him, he ambled away and hopefully never comes back. (Don't know why, but bears are all "he" to me without knowing the actual sex. Rolling Eyes)
You think he was after your crops or the animals?
brianj555

Male Posts : 318

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock on 9/23/2017, 10:10 am

Suz! Be careful! It doesn't matter how fast she/he ran away, the bear will be back! He will eat whatever is convenient-crops or livestock. I have lost bees, chickens, plants, Bar B-Q grills, and screen doors. I have included the most recent invasion picture. Understand the wire mesh you see is called "Hardware cloth" and it is a heavy gauge wire. I have my entire chicken coup and run protected with this, BOLTED to the walls, (18 inched down and six inches out underground.) The bear ripped through this like it was paper, she/he got 11 of 19 chickens. That is a yard stick in the pic to show how big the hole was. Once the bear got into the run, she/he had her/his way with 11 of my chickens, then pushed his way out, taking the door off the hinges. I now have electric fences around anything that a bear might like to munch, including my coup and run. The State Fish and Game Dept. has had a "bring the  bird-feeders in campaign for quite some time now. It is working. They are lazy, they go after the easiest meal they can get. Everybody likes chicken. Twisted Evil A few years ago a bear knocked a BBQ grill off the deck, pulling it over the railing, go figure. My neighbor saw one rip our screen door one morning, shredded it. Not sure why.
bigdogrock

Male Posts : 412

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Not Strange, But WONDERFUL!

Post  brianj555 on 9/23/2017, 11:07 am

Scorpio pointed out to me a couple/few weeks ago, that using sevin dust was killing and repelling my pollinators.  They were no where to be found.  That should have been a "no brainer" but I guess you have to consider the gardener. Embarassed  Anyway, I'm proud to say that I have been pesticide free since.  Here's the result.  Thanks again Scorpio!
brianj555

Male Posts : 318

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 9/23/2017, 12:17 pm

@bigdogrock wrote:Suz! Be careful! It doesn't matter how fast she/he ran away, the bear will be back! He will eat whatever is convenient-crops or livestock. I have lost bees, chickens, plants, Bar B-Q grills, and screen doors. I have included the most recent invasion picture. Understand the wire mesh you see is called "Hardware cloth" and it is a heavy gauge wire. I have my entire chicken coup and run protected with this, BOLTED to the walls, (18 inched down and six inches out underground.) The bear ripped through this like it was paper, she/he got 11 of 19 chickens. That is a yard stick in the pic to show how big the hole was. Once the bear got into the run, she/he had her/his way with 11 of my chickens, then pushed his way out, taking the door off the hinges. I now have electric fences around anything that a bear might like to munch, including my coup and run. The State Fish and Game Dept. has had a "bring the  bird-feeders in campaign for quite some time now. It is working. They are lazy, they go after the easiest meal they can get. Everybody likes chicken. Twisted Evil A few years ago a bear knocked a BBQ grill off the deck, pulling it over the railing, go figure. My neighbor saw one rip our screen door one morning, shredded it. Not sure why.
YIKES! We got soooooo lucky. The only damage was a big limb from Hubby's favorite mimosa tree. Sad We saw the bear as it was eyeballing the chicken coop. It left, peacefully, as soon as Hubby shined the light on it. Yesterday morning we walked the fence-line and Hubby found the spot where it got in. That place has now been reinforced, but this bear was definitely big enough to muscle down our fence wherever it wants to. We're guessing it's at least 400 lbs., but we really don't know squat about bears. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock on 9/23/2017, 12:49 pm

The only thing they seem to respect at this point is an electric fence, a strong electric fence. I was told it needs to be over 1.0 joule if you are going to use the white pre-made net looking fence. I have one rated at 1.6, I have put strips of foil (about 12" long, by 1.5") I fold it over the wire (while it is off- I won't make THAT MISTAKE AGAIN) with peanut butter and bacon globed in the center so the creature sniffs or licks it. bounce Oh Yeah! Shocked They learn. It is better that way than be inviting them to dinner, so to speak.  Smile

This is similar to what I do, but my strip is longer and thinner, with the peanut butter at the ends so it flaps around when they lick it. tongue
bigdogrock

Male Posts : 412

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 9/24/2017, 3:22 am

@brianj555 wrote:Scorpio pointed out to me a couple/few weeks ago, that using sevin dust was killing and repelling my pollinators.  They were no where to be found.  That should have been a "no brainer" but I guess you have to consider the gardener. Embarassed  Anyway, I'm proud to say that I have been pesticide free since.  Here's the result.  Thanks again Scorpio!
Hi Scorpio, from PA (Pesticides Anonymous) What a nice success story!

sanderson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 9/24/2017, 3:25 am

To Suz, Rock, Kelejan and anyone else that have ursine visitors. One benefit of living in the city is no bear encounters. The electric fence and peanut butter strips sounds pretty effective and humane (considering the alternative).

sanderson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hammock gal on 9/24/2017, 8:59 am

@brianj555 wrote:Scorpio pointed out to me a couple/few weeks ago, that using sevin dust was killing and repelling my pollinators.  They were no where to be found.  That should have been a "no brainer" but I guess you have to consider the gardener. Embarassed  Anyway, I'm proud to say that I have been pesticide free since.  Here's the result.  Thanks again Scorpio!
Love the sight of the hind end of that bumblebee, deep in a cuke (?) flower! It's a beautiful thing. love the idea
hammock gal

Female Posts : 265

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Gulf Fritillary

Post  countrynaturals on 9/30/2017, 6:51 pm

The butterflies are finally here! This is a Gulf Fritillary on one of my volunteer zinnias. Normally the open wing is the most beautiful, but the frits have an iridescent pattern on their underwing that is even prettier than the top.

countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  hammock gal on 10/1/2017, 1:08 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:The butterflies are finally here! This is a Gulf Fritillary on one of my volunteer zinnias. Normally the open wing is the most beautiful, but the frits have an iridescent pattern on their underwing that is even prettier than the top.

What a beautiful combination the orange and pink are! What a Face
hammock gal

Female Posts : 265

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 10/2/2017, 9:31 am

@sanderson wrote:To Suz, Rock, Kelejan and anyone else that have ursine visitors. One benefit of living in the city is no bear encounters. The electric fence and peanut butter strips sounds pretty effective and humane (considering the alternative).

I'm afraid we can't say that in the Atlanta area, lol! Every year we get a couple of bears wandering through our suburban neighborhoods.
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4335

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 10/2/2017, 7:15 pm

He is adorable!  Even his fuzzy little butt!
Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum